Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  bledsoe and odom for millsap? Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

bledsoe and odom for millsap?

Go down 
+6
TheMagnus
aliveandkickin
MTJazz
zero24gravity
Romoholic
therawns
10 posters
AuthorMessage
therawns
Starter

bledsoe and odom for millsap? Empty
PostSubject: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 am

What do you guys think of that?

Now, lets just start by saying you buy out/release odom. He is done. 8 million dollar expiring contract to match salaries. He will be moved by the deadline. That 8 mil expiring contract is too valuable.

Now, this then gets us to basically bledsoe for millsap. This gives Utah their PG of the future. Anybody that has seen bledsoe play knows he is good. The only thing holding him back is the fact that some PG named Chris Paul plays for the same team.

Now, Utah then needs to get a backup 4 from somewhere else. How? Raja bell!!!! You go out and trade for a chuck hayes along with a future pick hopefully 2nd rounder. Or maybe the lesser of the pick between Utah or GS pick if GS dosent tank again.

From the Clippers point of view they get a dramatic upgrade at the backup 4/5 with millsap. Odom and Ryan Hollins are trying to hold down the fort for now, but let's be honest, neither should be getting a ton of time. (Hollins can give you maybe 12-15 a night, but I dont want him in the rotation come playoff time.)

They are already struggling to get bledsoe time. He deserves it. Just watch the Clippers. Now, they are starting Willie Green at SG with Crawford and Bledsoe coming off the bench. Who gets out of the rotation if Billups comes back and is still good? (I understand that is a huge question.) Even if he does not, they should get Grant Hill back soon who backs up Caron Butler, and Matt Barnes who is playing well slides to the SG spot. Billups starts, but also backs up CP3. One of them gets a quick hook in the game and comes back with the 2nd unit.

Millsap's PT is geting squeezed over the past week due to Favors improvement, and lets face it, millsap looks off for some reason.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cpzlmwr
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 am

therawns wrote:
What do you guys think of that?

Now, lets just start by saying you buy out/release odom. He is done. 8 million dollar expiring contract to match salaries. He will be moved by the deadline. That 8 mil expiring contract is too valuable.

Now, this then gets us to basically bledsoe for millsap. This gives Utah their PG of the future. Anybody that has seen bledsoe play knows he is good. The only thing holding him back is the fact that some PG named Chris Paul plays for the same team.

Now, Utah then needs to get a backup 4 from somewhere else. How? Raja bell!!!! You go out and trade for a chuck hayes along with a future pick hopefully 2nd rounder. Or maybe the lesser of the pick between Utah or GS pick if GS dosent tank again.

From the Clippers point of view they get a dramatic upgrade at the backup 4/5 with millsap. Odom and Ryan Hollins are trying to hold down the fort for now, but let's be honest, neither should be getting a ton of time. (Hollins can give you maybe 12-15 a night, but I dont want him in the rotation come playoff time.)

They are already struggling to get bledsoe time. He deserves it. Just watch the Clippers. Now, they are starting Willie Green at SG with Crawford and Bledsoe coming off the bench. Who gets out of the rotation if Billups comes back and is still good? (I understand that is a huge question.) Even if he does not, they should get Grant Hill back soon who backs up Caron Butler, and Matt Barnes who is playing well slides to the SG spot. Billups starts, but also backs up CP3. One of them gets a quick hook in the game and comes back with the 2nd unit.

Millsap's PT is geting squeezed over the past week due to Favors improvement, and lets face it, millsap looks off for some reason.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cpzlmwr

I like it! We get our future PG and then you resign Al. As well as JT has been the last couple of nights, Bledsoe would be a huge upgrade at the back up PG. With as much as Mo tends to be injured, it could make all the difference in the world. I don't get whats going on with Sap, but he is even missing FTs.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:28 am

I don't hate this deal, but .....

I've been on the "gotta trade with Al/Sap" bandwagon, but this trade seems to undervalue Millsap. Don't get me wrong, Bledsoe has come out on fire this year; over 50% FG, over 10PPG in less than 20 minutes, but this is a guy (Millsap) that has been getting it done at a near All-Star level for years now. You would move him for a back-up PG, that is MIGHT be good enough to start in the next couple years? He's also always appeared to be a shoot-first PG, which I personally don't like. And like you said, Odom is done. He MIGHT be worth keeping around as a 4th "big" though if the team was to make this deal.

If the Clips were to throw in a draft pick, Hollins (for Bell), or something like that then it would be a bit more attractive for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am

Romoholic wrote:

I like it! We get our future PG and then you resign Al. As well as JT has been the last couple of nights, Bledsoe would be a huge upgrade at the back up PG. With as much as Mo tends to be injured, it could make all the difference in the world. I don't get whats going on with Sap, but he is even missing FTs.

Couple of things. First, I think the Jazz can be patient with their trading chips when it comes to the PG of the future; the league is full of backup PG's breaking out and I don't think you have to spend a Millsap to get one. Something just wrong with the idea that the Jazz give up $8MM for the former NBA player named Odom. and yes, despite history, unless Sap gets back to old form he is the main trade chip - Al is simply outplaying him on a nightly basis, by a lot. The good part of this is Sap is highly respected in the league for all his career accomplishments and can command a good return. Al has proven he is a keeper, he continues to bail the Jazz out of games they would otherwise lose. Sap, not so much.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 am

I like the Bledsoe trade as well. Heck, I just want an upgrade at the pg. This may not be popular but I'd do this to see what happens:

Millsap for Monta Ellis, it works on the trade machine.

Bring the rebuttals or a better idea.....
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 am

I'm still not sold on bledsoe, his good play only dates back to the start of this season, which is way to small a sample size for me.

Why not trade mo williams for a pg? He's making as much as millsap, and the fact that he's a quality combo guard could make him attractive to teams looking to unburden themselves of long term salary while still remaining competitive in the short term. Similar to what okc did in the Harden deal.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 10:11 am

aliveandkickin wrote:
I like the Bledsoe trade as well. Heck, I just want an upgrade at the pg. This may not be popular but I'd do this to see what happens:

Millsap for Monta Ellis, it works on the trade machine.

Bring the rebuttals or a better idea.....

I can't imagine a team with Monte & Mo being an upgrade. I think Monte has a ton of talent, and I think he could become a more efficient/non-chucker, if put in the right circumstance (SanAntonio?), but can you imagine Al, Mo & Ellis out there together? Talk about no ball movement.

I am appreciating Deron more & more as time goes on. He may have had issues with certain players (AK, Gordon), but he made things happen from the scoring side of things, but more importantly he got other players involved. Millsap was better because of him, Memo thrived with Deron, etc. If Deron had Foye, Marv, a more seasoned Hayward with him, it would be fun to watch. I understand that would mean no Favors, Kanter, etc ..... just saying that a good floor leader can really make a difference, especially when the coach seems to be in over his head.

Im not hating on Mo either, he's a good baller.... but he's a SG who plays PG.

I don't know if I have a better and realistic idea though. Maybe KOC & Lindsey do????
Augustine from IND? eh Neutral .
Ridnour from Min? nah
Would the Hawks move Teague?
Somebody else mentioned that Tyreke Evans was a great player when he was a PG. Trade for him & give him a PG try?
I go back to Calderon from TOR, especially now that Lowry has taken the starting spot back.

.....I don't know.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
I'm still not sold on bledsoe, his good play only dates back to the start of this season, which is way to small a sample size for me.

Why not trade mo williams for a pg? He's making as much as millsap, and the fact that he's a quality combo guard could make him attractive to teams looking to unburden themselves of long term salary while still remaining competitive in the short term. Similar to what okc did in the Harden deal.
I pitched the same trade a month ago and you said it was the worst trade ever, looks like Millsap is doing just what I said and Bledsoe is getting better and better.
By the time he has a bigger sample size he will be too hot to pick up on the cheap.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 6:14 am

rorybreaker wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I pitched the same trade a month ago and you said it was the worst trade ever, looks like Millsap is doing just what I said and Bledsoe is getting better and better.
By the time he has a bigger sample size he will be too hot to pick up on the cheap.

Or he'll fall back towards his mean and it will continue to be the worst deal ever.

I'll give some credit for calling a jump for bledsoe, dut like I said, I.m not convinced.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Bledsoe, by all accounts, is the real deal. As a player, not necessarily as a PG. He MIGHT just be another in a long line of guys who are really good basketball players who get put at PG only because they are PG-SIZE. (he's also a really good on-the-ball backcourt defender, or so I've heard.)

But if he isn't going to be the pass-first, make other players better, set up the offense-type PG the Jazz need, his individual skill level will only make the Jazz a tiny bit better than they are now, minus Millsap's considerable contributions.

Plus, we would then have THREE EX-CLIPPER GUARDS on the roster (think about THAT!), and a player who would be less-motivated to play here than he was for the Mavericks (think about THAT!). Ugh. We might be better off with Ridnour, Calderone or Udrih.

So I'd let our Big GM/Little GM duo do the due diligence on this one. If they think he's a Westbrook-lite (which is, like, Kyle Lowry), maybe we'd consider it. Maybe we take Butler instead of Odom. Maybe we'd get a draft pick, I dunno. But there is definitely potential for disaster in that trade.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 am

It'll be cool to see Bledsoe tonight against the Jazz. Did u see his stats when he got some time this week - he went off.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 1:15 pm

aliveandkickin wrote:
It'll be cool to see Bledsoe tonight against the Jazz. Did u see his stats when he got some time this week - he went off.

Ya, Bledsoe looks to me like another score first PG that will produce very effectively but struggle to run a team and create shots for others, reminds me a bit of Kyle Lowry. He's a great defender, and a real tank taking the ball to the hoop, I just don't hink he's an answer as a starting PG in a PG centric offense.

Then again, if the Jazz want to keep running the offense through the post like they do now with Big Al, reducing the amount of creating the PG has to do, then he might be perfect.

I'd personally rather see the Jazz do more of what they were doing in the first half last night, moving the ball, moving without the ball, attacking the basket, PG creating shots at the rim adn on the break for the bigs...that is what I like to see, and it is very effective when it happens, but with Jefferson down low and Mo at the point it seems more the exception than the rule. Not to say that the Jazz offense isn't effective when they run it through Jefferson, it is, it's just not what I prefer to watch and I think the other way is more effective.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Bledsoe is a big upgrade over Watson, Tinsley, and even Burks at this point. Not sure if he's worth a Millsap trade but Odom would be off the books and if Millsap isn't resigned, Bledsoe fills a glaring need of energy and athleticism at the point.... Hate to see the Clips get Sap though.
So in this hypothetical trade the Jazz fill a need and still have tons of cap space while losing a guy that looks to be the odd-man-out in Millsap. Makes sense, not sure what the Jazz Brass could do that would be a better deal.....
I keep swinging back and forth between keeping Sap for a lower contract or Jefferson and his larger contract and offense but lean toward keeping big Al.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm

aliveandkickin wrote:
Bledsoe is a big upgrade over Watson, Tinsley, and even Burks at this point. Not sure if he's worth a Millsap trade but Odom would be off the books and if Millsap isn't resigned, Bledsoe fills a glaring need of energy and athleticism at the point.... Hate to see the Clips get Sap though.
So in this hypothetical trade the Jazz fill a need and still have tons of cap space while losing a guy that looks to be the odd-man-out in Millsap. Makes sense, not sure what the Jazz Brass could do that would be a better deal.....
I keep swinging back and forth between keeping Sap for a lower contract or Jefferson and his larger contract and offense but lean toward keeping big Al.

I may be reading the wrong tea leaves, but I don't think the question right now is Al or Millsap, it's Millsap or not, Al is good as gone one way or another. I just don't think the Jazz are interested in extending or resigning Al at $14+ mil a year unless it is a less than 3 year deal, which I don't think Al would ever go for. If they keep Al, it's going to be because they expect and want him to be a foundational player, because they will have to pay him like a foundational player, and he's only effective when you use him like a foundational player. As I've said many times before, Millsap is not a foundational player, he's a complimentary player, he gets paid like a complimentary player, and he plays like a complimentary player. I think that makes him a lot more attractive to the Jazz going forward as they try to develop a team around young talent with veteran role players, I think that is why they offered him an extension, and why they will try to keep him while at the same time not overpaying him.

The next obvious question, and another reason why I declared this "the worst deal ever", is why would the Clippers trade for Millsap? Millsap is a pure PF that can play some SF, the Clippers have one of the best young pure PF's in the NBA, and it's not like either of those guys can play C, so I'm not sure if a deal for Millsap makes any sense for them, even if it made some sense for the Jazz.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
aliveandkickin wrote:

I may be reading the wrong tea leaves, but I don't think the question right now is Al or Millsap, it's Millsap or not, Al is good as gone one way or another. I just don't think the Jazz are interested in extending or resigning Al at $14+ mil a year unless it is a less than 3 year deal, which I don't think Al would ever go for. If they keep Al, it's going to be because they expect and want him to be a foundational player, because they will have to pay him like a foundational player, and he's only effective when you use him like a foundational player. As I've said many times before, Millsap is not a foundational player, he's a complimentary player, he gets paid like a complimentary player, and he plays like a complimentary player. I think that makes him a lot more attractive to the Jazz going forward as they try to develop a team around young talent with veteran role players, I think that is why they offered him an extension, and why they will try to keep him while at the same time not overpaying him.

The next obvious question, and another reason why I declared this "the worst deal ever", is why would the Clippers trade for Millsap? Millsap is a pure PF that can play some SF, the Clippers have one of the best young pure PF's in the NBA, and it's not like either of those guys can play C, so I'm not sure if a deal for Millsap makes any sense for them, even if it made some sense for the Jazz.

I kinda think if the Jazz had the intention of keeping Al, they would have offered him an extension. Right?
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 12:22 am

On the other hand, if the Clips want a quality backup to Griffin rather than have a quality backup to cp3 then Millsap is da man. The Clips sixth man, what's his name? Can play point effectively and will likely win the sixth man award. Odom isn't great anymore so it does make sense unless the Clips see Bledsoe as more valuable to their chemistry...like Bledsoe would be more valuable as a Jazzman than Sap if Favors can emerge as elite. Heck, many ppl like Locke think and show Favors brings better defense at the pf position than Millsap .... this can be argued that Jefferson would be resigned, even for a 60 million 5 yr deal- which other teams would be hard-pressed to match.... foundational player or not where are the options? ??
It's a gamble on Favor's development but he's already a better defender than Sap at pf... signing Big Al guarantees offensive production inside.
It's a gamble on Favors but Bledsoe is an upgrade to our other backup points which can't be contested ... so maybe "a gamble " is overstated.

On the third-hand (if you're a mutant) let's keep Sap, lose Jeffersons offense and hope Favors can develop a consistent jumper, or hope that Millsap can increase his inside scoring against bigger defenders... a bigger gamble than hoping you'll win the lottery but slightly less variables.
Jefferson brings less variables to the table IMO. Getting a guy like Bledsoe for Sap or even Stuckey with an even trade makes sense for Sap y'all.
Let's stop sniffing Millsaps Jock and realize that someone (Jefferson) is going to get a large contract to keep the team in the playoff picture.
The only other option is trading Jefferson's expiring contract for a guy like Ryan Anderson and change to make it happen.
The point we've all been discussing all these month's is; Saps or Jefferson's expiring contracts gotta yield talent if we don't resign both. The Bledsoe or maybe a trade for Stuckey makes more sense than what I've seen ppl dare mention for ridicule. ..Knight is the starter in Detroit and Maxell isn't their answer ..
One thing I do know, Millsap is definitely a role player that brings less to the table for the Jazz than Jefferson and his contract is easier to trade.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 am

Btw, it's Jamaal Crawford or even Billups would be adequate PG backups to cp3. The Bledsoe trade indeed makes sense for the Clips.. it's a win win for both teams especially if the Jazz (and I think they are) are looking to trade Sap over Jefferson. Who's been getting benched at times in the fourth quarter this yr again? ? Our "glue guy" that doesn't bring alot of miss-matches to the table.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 8:04 am

Stop playing with matches; you'll get burned. Jazz should change their name to Twentyfourthers. Blame on you bro... blame on you! Evil or Very Mad Wink
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 11:11 am

aliveandkickin wrote:
On the other hand, if the Clips want a quality backup to Griffin rather than have a quality backup to cp3 then Millsap is da man. The Clips sixth man, what's his name? Can play point effectively and will likely win the sixth man award. Odom isn't great anymore so it does make sense unless the Clips see Bledsoe as more valuable to their chemistry...like Bledsoe would be more valuable as a Jazzman than Sap if Favors can emerge as elite. Heck, many ppl like Locke think and show Favors brings better defense at the pf position than Millsap .... this can be argued that Jefferson would be resigned, even for a 60 million 5 yr deal- which other teams would be hard-pressed to match.... foundational player or not where are the options? ??
It's a gamble on Favor's development but he's already a better defender than Sap at pf... signing Big Al guarantees offensive production inside.
It's a gamble on Favors but Bledsoe is an upgrade to our other backup points which can't be contested ... so maybe "a gamble " is overstated.

On the third-hand (if you're a mutant) let's keep Sap, lose Jeffersons offense and hope Favors can develop a consistent jumper, or hope that Millsap can increase his inside scoring against bigger defenders... a bigger gamble than hoping you'll win the lottery but slightly less variables.
Jefferson brings less variables to the table IMO. Getting a guy like Bledsoe for Sap or even Stuckey with an even trade makes sense for Sap y'all.
Let's stop sniffing Millsaps Jock and realize that someone (Jefferson) is going to get a large contract to keep the team in the playoff picture.
The only other option is trading Jefferson's expiring contract for a guy like Ryan Anderson and change to make it happen.
The point we've all been discussing all these month's is; Saps or Jefferson's expiring contracts gotta yield talent if we don't resign both. The Bledsoe or maybe a trade for Stuckey makes more sense than what I've seen ppl dare mention for ridicule. ..Knight is the starter in Detroit and Maxell isn't their answer ..
One thing I do know, Millsap is definitely a role player that brings less to the table for the Jazz than Jefferson and his contract is easier to trade.

I'm pretty sure I already explained the options, and I also debunked the myth of Al Jeffersons offense, but if you want to keep believing it I can't stop you. And I agree Al brings less variables, if you want to blow near max money to build yourself a boarderline playoff team around a guy that is slightly above average offensively and below average defensively then he's almost guaranteed to deliver that for you every time.

It just doesn't seem like your perspectives here take into account the whole picture of things that have happened and will happen.

First off, you talk a lot about Favors and the fact that Favors is an upgrade defensively at PF, but just completely neglect the fact that he's an even more massive defensive upgrade at C (a weakness that has repeatedly and directly cost us games), and the fact that C is probably as much of a natural position for him as PF.

Second, you didn't even talk about Kanter. If you sign Jefferson to a 5 year deal you may as well just trade Kanter at the same time, because you have just demonstrated that you either A) don't think he's a legitimate answer at Center or B) that if he is Legit you don't plan to be able to pay him and Al and Favors when it comes time to resign him.

Third, why did the Jazz talk contract extension with Millsap, but not Jefferson? Jeffersons current contract makes it much more likely that they could work out a deal with him under the current rules, but by all accounts they never even discussed it.

Fourth, with two draft picks this off-season a pile of young talent on the current roster, and having the expiring or very tradeable contracts of Mo Williams (8.5mil), Marvin Williams (7.5mil), Randy Foye (2.5mil), and Earl Watson (2.3mil) on top of Jefferson (14mil), and Millsap (8.6mil), it is highly unlikely that the Jazz feel any "need" to flip any particular player for a longer term contract. If they are going to make a deal then I'm pretty sure everybody is on the table, and the Jazz are just going to make the best deal for the Jazz reagardless of who they give up or get back.

Fifth, another popular myth is that Millsap is more tradeable than Jefferson, or any other player on the roster. What makes him more tradeable? His smaller contract? the fact that he's underpaid? wrong. If anything being underpaid makes him more difficult to trade because it increses his trade value, (ResonableContract + StartingQualityPlayer + Expiring = YouBetterBePreparedToPayBig) and makes it more difficult to take big contracts back. Besides, the reality of the way deals are made in the NBA is that you almost never see straight up "you need a ___ and I need a ___, so let's do buisness" deals, there is almost always some underlying financial motivator for one or both of the parties, and oddly enough that means most deals end up being for players playing similar positions. That also means is that who is "easier to trade" is almost completely dependent on whatever team wants to do buisness. For example, a Millsap for Gasol trade would never happen even if it did make the most sense on the court for both teams. because even if the Jazz threw in Watson and Bell to make the deal work, they would still be adding 7 million in salary this season, which would put them into the Luxury tax, and that aint happening. If you look at the Bledsoe deal you have to ask your self, why would the Clippers give up a promising young player on a rookie contract for a half year rental veteran who's skills and position they only have room in the rotation for about 20 minutes a game? These trades just don't work. Given the history of NBA trades and the way these things usually work, if the Jazz want a young PG that will be the long term answer, the easiest guy to trade for that player will probably be Mo Williams.

Sixth, value is tied to $$ and not just what they bring on the court. Right now Jefferson is being paid $14 million, Millsap is being paid less than $8 million. This offseason it is going to be a sellers market, meaning that Jefferson will likely get at least what he is making now in a 4 year deal and Millsap will get a big pay raise. Your $60 Million over 5 years is dreaming, more than likely Jefferson gets offers north of $60 Million over 4 years. The price point for Millsap last summer would have been in the $35-45 Million range for 4 years, that's likely to go up to $40-50 Million for 4 years this summer if he performs the way he has the last two years. So is Jefferson worth $3-4 Million a year more than Millsap? (No) Is he worth near max money? (No)

So I don't think this is about the smell of anyones jock or what they "bring to the table" (as debateable as that is), I believe this is about the future of the Jazz and who they can get more than who they have to give up. They simply aren't in a hurry to commit big money to players that aren't going to help them get to the next level, whether that is by trade or signing, and I think they will be perfectly happy to let all of these expiring contracts go in the offseason and completely rebuild the roster if they don't get the deals they want.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 am

Wait, Mags, can you explain that again Razz

I see validity to both sides of this debate. I personally have no idea what the Jazz are going to do when it comes to personelle decisions. There are just do many ways to go. And while I still believe coach Ty has a good coach deep down inside him, I think the one person I want traded at this point, is him.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 am

I'm for signing both Jefferson and Millsap and think it's possible they will if the players agree to what they are (about) making this yr.

5 yrs 40 mill for Sap = 8 million a yr... maybe up to 45 mill for 5 yrs is his worth.. but some team may overpay him.

5 yrs 65 million for Jefferson= 13 mill a yr... Wait!! He won't take a paycut, or will he? hmmm. I've asked before w/o an answer but how many yrs can a player be signed if he's a free agent? I believe it's 4 yrs. If it's 5 yrs then my debate is bogus, but, if it's 4 yrs then I can't see a team giving him over 60 mill over 4 yrs. I don't think he's worth 15 million a yr, but having the extra yr in his contract the Jazz could offer him may make him stay, it's insurance if he gets injured or starts to suck.

As far as smaller contracts are HARDER to trade. Huh?? Let's see the proof that there are more trades in Jeffersons pay range than Millsaps pay range..... Waiting.... still waiting...... yawn... guess that's just your opinion unless you prove it.
As far as Millsap is underpaid... well, I'm sure there are tons of teams that have players with less production but higher salaries than Sap....... before the new CBA that is. The new CBA restrictions may indeed make Millsaps yearly average around 9 million a yr... I can't see him making much more than that and CERTAINLY even you Magnus wouldn't want to pay him over 10 mill a yr if you believe what you've been saying in these threads-- that he's a "glue guy" and not an AllStar or something to that effect.

Good debate though. I see some of your points. I asked on another thread (that I haven't read yet) if you think you're smarter than most NBA GM's that'll pay Jefferson more than Millsap (iow, who's worth a bigger contract).. going to read your answer in a minute. I'm not sure how much more Jefferson should make over Sap but it should be what I proposed in this post imo..... It'll be intersting to see what their contracts are at the end of the yr. I could care less who's right. I just want the right players in Jazz uni's.

Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 5:09 am

aliveandkickin wrote:
I'm for signing both Jefferson and Millsap and think it's possible they will if the players agree to what they are (about) making this yr.

5 yrs 40 mill for Sap = 8 million a yr... maybe up to 45 mill for 5 yrs is his worth.. but some team may overpay him.

5 yrs 65 million for Jefferson= 13 mill a yr... Wait!! He won't take a paycut, or will he? hmmm. I've asked before w/o an answer but how many yrs can a player be signed if he's a free agent? I believe it's 4 yrs. If it's 5 yrs then my debate is bogus, but, if it's 4 yrs then I can't see a team giving him over 60 mill over 4 yrs. I don't think he's worth 15 million a yr, but having the extra yr in his contract the Jazz could offer him may make him stay, it's insurance if he gets injured or starts to suck.

As far as smaller contracts are HARDER to trade. Huh?? Let's see the proof that there are more trades in Jeffersons pay range than Millsaps pay range..... Waiting.... still waiting...... yawn... guess that's just your opinion unless you prove it.
As far as Millsap is underpaid... well, I'm sure there are tons of teams that have players with less production but higher salaries than Sap....... before the new CBA that is. The new CBA restrictions may indeed make Millsaps yearly average around 9 million a yr... I can't see him making much more than that and CERTAINLY even you Magnus wouldn't want to pay him over 10 mill a yr if you believe what you've been saying in these threads-- that he's a "glue guy" and not an AllStar or something to that effect.

Good debate though. I see some of your points. I asked on another thread (that I haven't read yet) if you think you're smarter than most NBA GM's that'll pay Jefferson more than Millsap (iow, who's worth a bigger contract).. going to read your answer in a minute. I'm not sure how much more Jefferson should make over Sap but it should be what I proposed in this post imo..... It'll be intersting to see what their contracts are at the end of the yr. I could care less who's right. I just want the right players in Jazz uni's.

I'm pretty sure a FA can only be signed to a 4 year contract, except by his team and they can give him a 5 year contract.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 am

I just really doubt Millsap will be offered over 10 million a yr, and if he is offered 10 million a yr over 4 yrs- who's to say a 45 million offer for 5 yrs from the Jazz isn't unreasonable? In five yrs will Millsap be worth over 5 million? Will he want the insurance of the extra yr now? In that scenario I'd take the 5 yr contract. Likewise with Jefferson- I doubt he'll make over 15 million a yr with his new contract-- If he does it'll be with another team. However, if the 65mill/5yr offer is on the table I'd be thrilled to get both players for 5 yrs and 110million which equals 21 million a yr for both of those players..... Plenty of cash to sign Favors and Hayward to good contracts in a few years and plenty left to shop for a quality pg. Kanter is due a new contract after 3 more yrs right?...If he's good then he's trade bait but I doubt he'll get better than the big three we already have.
Back to top Go down
B. Liberation
Rookie
B. Liberation

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
I don't hate this deal, but .....

I've been on the "gotta trade with Al/Sap" bandwagon, but this trade seems to undervalue Millsap.

Git Young Bozzi Stat.

But hey, I'm replacing Millsap with Hayward and dump Odom's broken ass corpse from the deal. Can't respect no fool who married that white slut.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 pm

aliveandkickin wrote:
I just really doubt Millsap will be offered over 10 million a yr, and if he is offered 10 million a yr over 4 yrs- who's to say a 45 million offer for 5 yrs from the Jazz isn't unreasonable? In five yrs will Millsap be worth over 5 million? Will he want the insurance of the extra yr now? In that scenario I'd take the 5 yr contract. Likewise with Jefferson- I doubt he'll make over 15 million a yr with his new contract-- If he does it'll be with another team. However, if the 65mill/5yr offer is on the table I'd be thrilled to get both players for 5 yrs and 110million which equals 21 million a yr for both of those players..... Plenty of cash to sign Favors and Hayward to good contracts in a few years and plenty left to shop for a quality pg. Kanter is due a new contract after 3 more yrs right?...If he's good then he's trade bait but I doubt he'll get better than the big three we already have.

Ok, that makes some sense, I can at least see better where you are coming from, but I'm kind of in the other camp where I think it is better to go with the young guys. Favors is going to be really freaking good, and I think Kanter will be solid as well, my thinking is more about how you build around those guys than keeping the current core and building pieces around them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bledsoe and odom for millsap?   bledsoe and odom for millsap? Empty

Back to top Go down

bledsoe and odom for millsap?
Page 1 of 1