The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Best free agents of 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 pm

aliveandkickin wrote:
Apparently putting a post about Glory Road and quoting the lines from the movie while entertaining the thought of getting an all white team was racist? Just adding a little humor here during the dog days until the new season starts.. but if you don't know me I GUESS it could be construed as a racist post.

Note: One of my best friends is black. I have a black bro in law and nephew whom I love.

Ok, onward to the topic: I can't see the Jazz doing better than securing Jennings and Jack with multi year deals (and they're black, gasp!! Hurrah for reformation) . Let Jefferson and Sap walk, draft a couple bigs to backup Kanter and Favors and the Jazz are sitting pretty.

PG...Jennings, Jack, Tinsley
Sg ..Hayward, Burks
SF...Marvin, DC
PF...Kanter, Evans, Draft pick
C..Favors, draft pick

This team could make the playoffs. Pretty apparent last yr the Jazz needed to optimize possessions after running as their first option on offense. No more dumping it down to the post as a first option! ! Jefferson is likely gone anyway so a drastic change is needed.
Btw, Jennings, Hayward, and Burks could be the starters along with Favors and Kanter ...any one of them are capable of going off. That's a young athletic team for the future.

Please. Pretty please tell me wanting jennings is sarcasm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Calling for Nate Rob is stud.

I also want Tony Allen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Professo_Sloan wrote:

I also want Tony Allen.
I've been think Nate would be fun running here. I like.T Al would be nice fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:40 am

Ok, looking at Jennings numbers, he IS a volume shooter with underwhelming percentages. He may not be better than even Mo. I'm still sold on Jack and getting two solid points- with Jack playing some sg.

I watched some Stockton footage on utube last night and watching him with horny was a thing of beauty. (Here comes the whine) I'm tired of seeing bad shots last yr and turnovers that cost games. I'm cheering for more cerebral play and in the absence of an exceptional decision maker like Stockton - I'll take more floor leaders... like having Felton/Kidd start or Kobe/Nash or Parker/Ginobli or Jack/Curry or Lawson/Miller or...whomever when they are used together at times - the team thrives from their combined IQ on the floor...put say a Caldrone/Jack/Hayward on the floor with our two young bigs and I'll have faith in this coming season ..Jennings may not be the best choice but I'd take him over Foye...Foye, as a proposed PG behind Mo was a joke! !! I didn't see him play team ball or create - he just chucked it from the cheap seats. I liked Tinsley to an extent cause the ball was an extension of him and he had good vision but not much more than his passing made him an NBA player.

I'm pissed the Jazz aren't in the playoffs now and I think Corbin is partly to blame ..bad chemistry and skillsets that don't produce good decisions is part of it as well. I've ragged that losing Harris for Marvin cost us making the playoffs. Imagine Mo with Harris , instead of Mo with Watson or Tinsley and the Jazz would be a better, much better, team.

The Jazz need playmakers and diversity more than Nicholas Cage needs acting skills... more than Daniel Tosh needs utube ...more than the Steelers need a running back.. more than Obama needs a handgun ...more than Rocky needed Adrian .. more than potatoes needs gravy...more than Sandra Bullock needs boobs...more than magnus needs advanced stats...more than this forum needs hot women ...more than hot women need this forum (when I'm here) ...more than Journey needs Perry ...more than Tina Turner needed Ike...more than Michael Jackson needed propofol.. more than Dennis Leary needs sarcasm!!

I'm not being sarcastic when I say the Jazz are a few point guards away from making a good playoff run, but they have to be multi-freakin-dimentional.

Last edited by aliveandkickin on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:47 am

Professo_Sloan wrote:

I also want Tony Allen.

Yes. Nate Robinson is the best backup PG in the league not named Jarrett Jack. Probably the best "change of pace" PG in the league. He is cheap, and wildly under-appreciated. He's also a guy that at any time can get as hot as any, ANY player in the league. He also manages to somehow average around 7 ast every time he gets starter minutes.

I think Tony Allen is on his way down from his peak. Also, I swear I see his knee ALMOST go every night...

Brandon Jennings??? Actually, a big NO thanks. He is talented. But immensely inconsistent. I dont think he'll ever be anything better than what he is now, and I dont want to put alot of money into a PG that will never be in all-star talk. But the biggest reason, is that we have some great young personalities on this team, what seem like mature, good guys. I think with one more very strong leader type (not Jennings there), and an overall "good guy" type attitude, it will help to sustain/create a very winning and 110% play all the time environment. That core 5 all have that right now. Just need our PG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
outerspacefan
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:55 am

I'd take Nate on the right contract for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:17 am

Nate is fun and all but there is a good reason why he can't stick on a team even though he consistently produces at a high level.

I actually like what the Clippers have done with Jamaal Crawford, and I think one dimentional guys like him, Nate, Jimmer, Jordan Crawford, etc. need that kind of situation to be successful. They need to be able to come in and just do what they do. Their are multiple problems that have to be addressed before something like that works though 1) a lot of players really hate playing with guys like that, so you have to have the right personel 2) a lot of coaches hate players like that, so you have to have the right coach 3) when they succeed it inevitably gets the less intelligent wings of the fan base all spun up because they aren't getting enough minutes, so you have to be prepared to deal with that.

I'm not sure that a guy like that makes sense, but depending on who the Jazz bring it this summer I guess it could.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:39 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Nate is fun and all but there is a good reason why he can't stick on a team even though he consistently produces at a high level.

I actually like what the Clippers have done with Jamaal Crawford, and I think one dimentional guys like him, Nate, Jimmer, Jordan Crawford, etc. need that kind of situation to be successful. They need to be able to come in and just do what they do. Their are multiple problems that have to be addressed before something like that works though 1) a lot of players really hate playing with guys like that, so you have to have the right personel 2) a lot of coaches hate players like that, so you have to have the right coach 3) when they succeed it inevitably gets the less intelligent wings of the fan base all spun up because they aren't getting enough minutes, so you have to be prepared to deal with that.

I'm not sure that a guy like that makes sense, but depending on who the Jazz bring it this summer I guess it could.

The Jazz already have a player that should be used similarly to the guys you mentioned..... his name is Mo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

The Jazz already have a player that should be used similarly to the guys you mentioned..... his name is Mo.

Completely disagree with you on that Zero and I don't do that often. You don't want Tiny starting for you but you sure as shit want him off the bench as a change of pace. Where he has been used well he absolutely carries his teams sometimes with crazy scoring and energy streaks. I can count on one hand how many times Mo did that this past season whereas Nate does it about every 3 games. His hit to miss on energy and game changing performances is far higher than Mo's. His whole career he has been crazy underrated. He is DC on steroids in the energy department
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm

MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Completely disagree with you on that Zero and I don't do that often. You don't want Tiny starting for you but you sure as shit want him off the bench as a change of pace. Where he has been used well he absolutely carries his teams sometimes with crazy scoring and energy streaks. I can count on one hand how many times Mo did that this past season whereas Nate does it about every 3 games. His hit to miss on energy and game changing performances is far higher than Mo's. His whole career he has been crazy underrated. He is DC on steroids in the energy department

I see what you are saying. I was mostly saying that I think Mo would be best used as the PG/SG off the bench scorer type, similar to the Crawfords and Jimmers of the world.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Jennings to me is an undersized d Williams. Kid has talent but too small. Pass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:04 am

Jacks stats for game three against the Nuggets: 23 pts on 10/14 shooting, 5 rbs, 7 asts, ...and 7 to's

The Warriors w/o Jack would be hating it. Wonder how much it'll take to secure the 29 yr old in what will likely be his last big contract.

What would you pay for Jack? and would you rather pay 16 mill a yr for Jack and Mo, or 15 mill a yr for Al Jefferson?

I'll take Jack and Mo since we already have Favors and Kanter. Doesn't it become more clear to everyone the Jazz need a couple point guard types on the floor while watching the playoffs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 am

aliveandkickin wrote:
Jacks stats for game three against the Nuggets: 23 pts on 10/14 shooting, 5 rbs, 7 asts, ...and 7 to's

The Warriors w/o Jack would be hating it. Wonder how much it'll take to secure the 29 yr old in what will likely be his last big contract.

What would you pay for Jack? and would you rather pay 16 mill a yr for Jack and Mo, or 15 mill a yr for Al Jefferson?

I'll take Jack and Mo since we already have Favors and Kanter. Doesn't it become more clear to everyone the Jazz need a couple point guard types on the floor while watching the playoffs?
4 mill for five years 20 kid is set! best year i've see out of this kid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: One Wild Night With Jarrett Jack   Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:48 am

This article was originally titled One Wild Night With Jack, but now says How the Warriors won and nearly lost.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9217581/nba-playoffs-2013-golden-state-warriors-edge-denver-nuggets-thriller

Snip: Jack terrorized Warriors fans and Nuggets fans in equal measure.

You know I have mentioned Jack along with others here, but we should probably be looking at his overall career rather than one season, and in a cursory glance of his career against Mo's, he really doesn't seem to have any edge. I also think Jack's offensive efficiency has benefitted this season from all the attention being paid to Curry --- a legitimate Superstar imo. They are often on the court together. Similarly, Mo benefitted when he was on the court with Lebron James; he actually made the All Star team one season when he played with Lebron.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=jackja01&y1=2013&p2=willima01&y2=2013

Last edited by Crunchtime1 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:59 am

Crunchtime1 wrote:
This article was originally titled One Wild Night With Jack, but now says How the Warriors won and nearly lost.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9217581/nba-playoffs-2013-golden-state-warriors-edge-denver-nuggets-thriller

Snip: Jack terrorized Warriors fans and Nuggets fans in equal measure.

You know I have mentioned Jack along with others here, but we should probably be looking at his overall career rather than one year, and in a cursory glance of his career against Mo's, he really doesn't seem to have any edge.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=jackja01&y1=2013&p2=willima01&y2=2013

Ya, the more I look around the free agent pool the more I'm thinking we should just draft a PG or two and let it ride. Hayward is great at the point, Burks learned how to be at least serviceable, I'd be on board with drafting two PG's with differing styles, say McCollum and Schroeder, in the first round and just running with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Ya, the more I look around the free agent pool the more I'm thinking we should just draft a PG or two and let it ride. Hayward is great at the point, Burks learned how to be at least serviceable, I'd be on board with drafting two PG's with differing styles, say McCollum and Schroeder, in the first round and just running with them.

Yes, I edited my post to also note that I think Jack's offensive efficiency has benefitted from being on the court with a legitimate Superstar in Curry, perhaps similar to how Mo benefitted from being on the court with Lebron, with Mo actually making the All Star team as a sub one season. When teams have legitimate Superstars, especially ones that can also pass like Curry and Lebron can, the other team members get more wide open looks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:45 am

aliveandkickin wrote:

Though I just pointed out for career stats that Jack is pretty similar to Mo, thinking that replacing Mo with Jack would probably be mostly a lateral move, I think this ^ idea above of signing both of them is a good one assuming we can't find a more elite point guard. If we didn't overpay, one of them would be tradable at such time we have a young point guard ready for more playing time or at such time we have acquired a more elite point guard. In the meantime, we would have two reasonably capable veteran point guards that can be on the floor at the same time or on the floor individually.

What to pay? I have completely lost all sense of how the cap works, but I think maybe the Jazz could re-sign Mo for not more than three years, 16 million and Jack for maybe a front loaded, 4 years, 24 million. Mo has to be discounted a little to Jack for likelihood of injuries and having had more overall game wear and tear. As for Golden State, they are already committed to pay $58 milllion out to five players this coming season, and $58 mill was the salary cap this season. I am not sure how pushing up against the salary cap impacts what they can offer Jack. Maybe it has no impact; I don't know.

Maybe Magnus knows what Golden State can and can't do regarding potential offers to Jack and Landry.

Last edited by Crunchtime1 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:58 am

Crunchtime1 wrote:

Though I just pointed out for career stats that Jack is pretty similar to Mo, thinking that replacing Mo with Jack would probably be mostly a lateral move, I think this ^ idea above of signing both of them is a good one assuming we can't find a more elite point guard. If we didn't overpay, one of them would be tradable at such time we have a young point guard ready for more playing time or at such time we have acquired a more elite point guard. In the meantime, we would have two reasonably capable veteran point guards that can be on the floor at the same time or on the floor individually.

What to pay? I have completely lost all sense of how the cap works, but I think maybe the Jazz could re-sign Mo for not more than three years, 16 million and Jack for maybe a front loaded, 4 years, 24 million. Mo has to be discounted a little to Jack for likelihood of injuries and having had more overall game wear and tear. As for Golden State, they are already committed to pay $58 milllion out to five players this coming season, and $58 mill was the salary cap this season. I am not sure how pushing up against the salary cap impacts what they can offer Jack. Maybe it has no impact; I don't know.

Maybe Magnus knows what Golden State can and can't do regarding potential offers to Jack and Landry. I am pretty much wild guessing and hoping what you could sign these guys for.

I'm OK with Jack, but not jumping on the wagon when it comes to really wanting him. I will say , however, that one reason that he would be better than a lateral move to just keeping Mo is because he is far less likely to miss a large chunk of the season, which Mo is almost guaranteed to do. Still...... not seeing either guy as anything more than a one or two year stop gap, while the team either grooms a young PG or until they sign/trade for someone better.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 am

So in the same vein, Jack or Calderon? I think if Mo stays, Calderon would be a much better fit. As good as Hayward and others are, I think the ideal fit is someone who puts guys in a position to score/succeed. I like Jack, but he's not that player.
I also like Calderon's outside shooting too. Defensively, I'm not sure who is better, probably Jack. This would be the first winning team he's played on too, which means he'd probably be even better.
But yea, out of the two, I'd take Jose. I think they're both the same age too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 am

Mutangclan wrote:
So in the same vein, Jack or Calderon? I think if Mo stays, Calderon would be a much better fit. As good as Hayward and others are, I think the ideal fit is someone who puts guys in a position to score/succeed. I like Jack, but he's not that player.
I also like Calderon's outside shooting too. Defensively, I'm not sure who is better, probably Jack. This would be the first winning team he's played on too, which means he'd probably be even better.

Is calderon a 12 million a year guy that 6 mill more than jack would be making. That a lot of eggs in one basket when the front office said they will not over pay for talent? I like Cald more just not sure its that much more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am

Richardale wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Is calderon a 12 million a year guy that 6 mill more than jack would be making. That a lot of eggs in one basket when the front office said they will not over pay for talent? I like Cald more just not sure its that much more?

Front office might have to overpay for talent this year. If they don't get a star and they decide to go the youth route they will need to spend some serious money to get to the league minimum salary. That could mean paying a guy like Calderone 10-12 Mil a year on a one or two year contract.

One thing that has really soured me on Mo is his D. I know there were other factors, but his D was terrible in almost every way. I know he may think he's a starter in the NBA, but he's not, not even close.

The Front Office has been talking a lot about improving the D, and the best way to do that is by changing personel. I have to think that with the data and evaluations at their fingertips if that truly is their priority then guys like Mo and Al, Foye, and maybe even Millsap will be the first ones on the chopping block and guys like Calderone and Robinson will be less attractive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Front office might have to overpay for talent this year. If they don't get a star and they decide to go the youth route they will need to spend some serious money to get to the league minimum salary. That could mean paying a guy like Calderone 10-12 Mil a year on a one or two year contract.

One thing that has really soured me on Mo is his D. I know there were other factors, but his D was terrible in almost every way. I know he may think he's a starter in the NBA, but he's not, not even close.

The Front Office has been talking a lot about improving the D, and the best way to do that is by changing personel. I have to think that with the data and evaluations at their fingertips if that truly is their priority then guys like Mo and Al, Foye, and maybe even Millsap will be the first ones on the chopping block and guys like Calderone and Robinson will be less attractive.

Well, you know what alot of good teams do, is they put their lengthy 2 on the opposing teams 1. Even with Mo starting, if DC started or Burks even, you put them on the other point guard. Worked really well for a bunch of teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Well, you know what alot of good teams do, is they put their lengthy 2 on the opposing teams 1. Even with Mo starting, if DC started or Burks even, you put them on the other point guard. Worked really well for a bunch of teams.

We saw GH take on that responsibility more than anyone this last year. But that only works if the opposing team doesn't have a talented wing that would, in turn, eat up Mo or whatever PG is out there.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 am

zero24gravity wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

We saw GH take on that responsibility more than anyone this last year. But that only works if the opposing team doesn't have a talented wing that would, in turn, eat up Mo or whatever PG is out there.

I think it's hard to have 5 good defenders on the court at all times, and cant really think of one besides OKC who does pretty well. But if Gordo/DC/Paul/Fav/Kanter are on the court together with Mo, then it'd be alright.
Man, I should of thought of that earlier, playing DC more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 am

Mutangclan wrote:

Corbin did that this year with Hayward, usually only agianst elite PG's though, when it was clear that they were going to singlehandedly destroy the Jazz if something wasn't done about it.

I like Mo, and he may be as good as any other free agent out there, which is why I said before that I'm not really loving this crop of free agents and would be totally fine with the Jazz adressing the issue through the draft, and not signing any vets to play PG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best free agents of 2013   

Back to top Go down

Best free agents of 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next