Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Best new female vocalists Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best new female vocalists

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Professo_Sloan
6th man

Best new female vocalists Empty
PostSubject: Best new female vocalists   Best new female vocalists EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Old prudes, our gang has died, left a new dying crowd, and a singing void in their wake of death. Here's my 3rd generation top five. What's your fourth?

1. Aguilara
2. Jewel
3. Houston
4. Celine
5. Carey

Whoever says Susan Boy gets an E-punch in the E-peen.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Best new female vocalists   Best new female vocalists EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:43 pm

None of the above. That's a list of "most promoted by the record companies", and, as a result, "most popular". They may or may not have good voices, but as contributors to the world of music? Meh. I notice you did, at least, leave out Lady Gaga and Madonna, hopefully because "tittilatin' the rubes" /= "vocalist".

My list would be substantially different.

In no particular order, Bonnie Raitt, Heather Massey, Ruth Moody, Nicki Mehta and, if you also want a top songwriter, Gillian Welch. Or, if you want someone who can play the shit out of an instrument or two Sara Jarosz or Allison Krause. I also like Kimbra, but that may be coz she got a purty mouth. Also the gorgeous EmmyLou Harris, if only for her f'ing impeccable taste, demonstrated over 40 years (her voice is long gone).

Actually, they can all play, most of them write songs and none of them, not one, has a huge production ensemble with 50 dancers and 90 musicians, or a meat dress. Not one of them has considered musical "success" to be more important than playing the music that moves them, or that they are moved to create.

But hey, to each his own.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Best new female vocalists   Best new female vocalists EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 am

I'm digging the chick from flyleaf, that isn't in flyleaf anymore.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Best new female vocalists   Best new female vocalists EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm

I've alwasy been more of a fan of the female blues/rock vocalist, in the tradition of Janis Joplin and Grace Slick, than the traditional shattering-the-glass big voice pop/country type.

The girl from flyleaf is pretty good, I don't mind the girl from Paramore either. You know who can belt it out is Florence from Florence + the Machine. Adele is a hell of a talent too.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Best new female vocalists   Best new female vocalists EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 4:33 pm

I'm kinda old school, I prefer stuff like Bikini Kill and babes in toyland. Not to high on the new stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best new female vocalists   Best new female vocalists Empty

Back to top Go down

Best new female vocalists
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Utah Jazz Nation :: general-
Jump to: