The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!
 
HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 DC Deserves His Own Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Ugh, no lineup change tonight. Because Marvin's got "experience" playing against Paul Pierce.....gmafb....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Ugh, no lineup change tonight. Because Marvin's got "experience" playing against Paul Pierce.....gmafb....

Ahhh, man, that just hurts. Right when a fan gets a little excited for some glimmer of coaching prowess. We will see, but per Crunch I see nothing but precarious times ahead for the Jazz unless they can get some higher MPG out of the existing engine, which needs a tweak and a tune. All it will take is a decent swoon on the road to slip to the 8th, or if the Lakers keep this up, out. There is absolutely nothing recommending Marv as a starter on a playoff bound team right now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

SERIOUSLY???!!!!! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME TYRONE????!!!!!




WATSON TO START OVER TINSLEY???!!!! THATS THE BIG MOVE????!!!


F M L !!!!


This guy is ridiculous. Change in the line up....give me a fkng break...


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
There's no way that a head coach in the NBA, and former player, doesn't know this, and we do. No way.

I'm thinking its a case of hide DC this year, because they have all these decisions this summer, and want to get a solid contract on sale for DC. Hide him till next year.

I think it is more about Marvin and DC on the court than it is about DC off the court. I think Corbin probably feels like the Jazz will be better in the long run, especially come playoff time, if they can get Marvin going. I think he overvalues his experience and consistency on the defensive end, and I think he undervalues DC's disruptive hustle contributions because they can be exploited at times and his offense because it's sometimes not real pretty.

These are all classic "coaching wisdom" tendencies, and I think a coach that places more value in analytics would probably have made some adjustments sooner. However, and this is the reason I think a change is coming, I think the product on the court and the stage we are at in the season is beginning to create a situation where Corbin realizes that his hope that Marvin can become what he should be isn't going to materialize and he's going to have to go with what is actually working. I feel like this last game was a tipping point, at least I hope it was, and I think we should see a change soon.

Yes, to all this. I definitely found myself shaking my head in agreement Mag. What bothers me is Corbin is not able to see it for what it is, verses what he hopes will happen. One other thing that should have shown Corbin that it's time to make that move, is that if you guys remember, when DC is open on the 3pt line, he usually knocks it down. So there is the last line of defense to play Marv over DC.

I did get the same feeling though, that the Clip game was a tipping point.

Adjusting the lineup, it's gotta be GH/DC. I can't imagine he's thinking of going big 3 now, Favors has been good not great, but with Corbin's history, I almost feel like he'll finally identify the problem, and then make the completely ridiculous move to counter it, like Fav in, or moving Gordo from 6th where he's been awesome.

I'm with you on leaving Burks as the backup PG, minutes and experience for him, and athleticism, ft's, defense for us. I'd like to see Gordo/Burks/Marv too out there as a back up unit. It fits ideally into what Marv has become, and thats a spotup, stand alone 3pt shooter.

Epic Fail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1765
Points : 2172
Reputation : 75
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
SERIOUSLY???!!!!! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME TYRONE????!!!!!




WATSON TO START OVER TINSLEY???!!!! THATS THE BIG MOVE????!!!


F M L !!!!


This guy is ridiculous. Change in the line up....give me a fkng break...



I feel like this is a totally appropriate hysterical over-reaction...unbelievable. He's like degenerate gambler, can't admit that his "method" isn't working, it just needs a "tweak".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:25 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
SERIOUSLY???!!!!! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME TYRONE????!!!!!




WATSON TO START OVER TINSLEY???!!!! THATS THE BIG MOVE????!!!


F M L !!!!


This guy is ridiculous. Change in the line up....give me a fkng break...



I feel like this is a totally appropriate hysterical over-reaction...unbelievable. He's like degenerate gambler, can't admit that his "method" isn't working, it just needs a "tweak".

Haha, yeaaa.....

In real life, I'm a calm, level-headed, more honey than vinegar type of person.

As a Jazz fan, I'M LOSING MY MIND!!! That was an absolutely asinine move by Corbin. And just to hammer it home, Earl had one of his worst games of the year. I just can't believe that was his solution. That he keeps starting these guys, when it makes no sense.

There was a silver lining though, and that lineup of Burks/DC/Hayward/Paul and Fav until his fouls, then Al, finished the 4th and OT. That was a big move for such a bull-headed clueless Corbin. It's a pretty big deal. And I was really happy to see it. That group was exposed though, with Burks not able to force the ball where we needed it, which was to get into Al to get a bucket on his own. I think it showed how much Mo was still needed and Burks, while a good young PG, is probably still a guy that is best as a 2-1, verses 1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Stats don't lie. Ty has his head up his azz during a playoff push to deny Kobe and the Lakers:

Last 10 games

Marv: 5.8 ppg, 0.345 makes, 3.3 rbs, 22.7 min
DC: 8.1 ppg, 0.470 makes, 3.1 rpgs, 20.5 min

Granted, both those stats lines don't scream out, but the DC otherwise intangibles suggest that maybe, just maybe, DC juice in the starting lineup is a legit system tweak for a team in a battle to make the playoffs. Better than that, start GH so the second unit doesn't have to be so goddamn heroic. After awhile, you would think that it might occur to Ty that starting your 5 best guys is a better strategy than trying to have your superior second unit try and bail you out.

Here is a thought. Starters: Al, Sap, DC, GH, Burks. Tell me this isn't the best 5 on the Jazz right now. Why does this line-up suck? Can't Foye, Marv, Favors, Kanter, Tinsley, and Evans anchor the second unit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Stats don't lie. Ty has his head up his azz during a playoff push to deny Kobe and the Lakers:

Last 10 games

Marv: 5.8 ppg, 0.345 makes, 3.3 rbs, 22.7 min
DC: 8.1 ppg, 0.470 makes, 3.1 rpgs, 20.5 min

Granted, both those stats lines don't scream out, but the DC otherwise intangibles suggest that maybe, just maybe, DC juice in the starting lineup is a legit system tweak for a team in a battle to make the playoffs. Better than that, start GH so the second unit doesn't have to be so goddamn heroic. After awhile, you would think that it might occur to Ty that starting your 5 best guys is a better strategy than trying to have your superior second unit try and bail you out.

Here is a thought. Starters: Al, Sap, DC, GH, Burks. Tell me this isn't the best 5 on the Jazz right now. Why does this line-up suck? Can't Foye, Marv, Favors, Kanter, Tinsley, and Evans anchor the second unit?

Ty Corbin, 2/28/2013: ""We're going to have to do whatever it takes to get a win," he said. "

Really Ty? REALLY!!!!?????!!!!! Then sit Marvin Williams!!!! F !!

I'll say this though MT, I think with DC starting, I actually still like Foye also starting. He can just do what it is he does best, and just spot up. Open up the floor a bit, giving DC room to crash, Al room to operate, and Paul room to do everything else.

I dont want to move STUD Gordo from his current spot. He is flying high, and no reason to upset that apple cart.

PG...hmmm. I actually felt pretty good about Tinsley starting out on the floor. With Corbins new found GENIUS (vomit), he's getting those minutes to Burks and the others. But lest we forget, we aren't the Thunder or Clippers. We need contributions from our guys and their skill set. So starting out with Foye out there as an option on O, when Al gets double teamed is ideal to me, and Tinsley out there to find him. Get the offense going, spread the ball around, get good shots. And with a hustling maniac in there in DC, it elevates everyone. Also, I dont think Burks is ready to be a starting PG. Even if it's just a mental thing and he gets 30mins a night, I still think he should start out on the bench.

Paul + DC starting out is some crazy hustle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Stats don't lie. Ty has his head up his azz during a playoff push to deny Kobe and the Lakers:

Last 10 games

Marv: 5.8 ppg, 0.345 makes, 3.3 rbs, 22.7 min
DC: 8.1 ppg, 0.470 makes, 3.1 rpgs, 20.5 min

Granted, both those stats lines don't scream out, but the DC otherwise intangibles suggest that maybe, just maybe, DC juice in the starting lineup is a legit system tweak for a team in a battle to make the playoffs. Better than that, start GH so the second unit doesn't have to be so goddamn heroic. After awhile, you would think that it might occur to Ty that starting your 5 best guys is a better strategy than trying to have your superior second unit try and bail you out.

Here is a thought. Starters: Al, Sap, DC, GH, Burks. Tell me this isn't the best 5 on the Jazz right now. Why does this line-up suck? Can't Foye, Marv, Favors, Kanter, Tinsley, and Evans anchor the second unit?

Ty Corbin, 2/28/2013: ""We're going to have to do whatever it takes to get a win," he said. "

Really Ty? REALLY!!!!?????!!!!! Then sit Marvin Williams!!!! F !!

I'll say this though MT, I think with DC starting, I actually still like Foye also starting. He can just do what it is he does best, and just spot up. Open up the floor a bit, giving DC room to crash, Al room to operate, and Paul room to do everything else.

I dont want to move STUD Gordo from his current spot. He is flying high, and no reason to upset that apple cart.

PG...hmmm. I actually felt pretty good about Tinsley starting out on the floor. With Corbins new found GENIUS (vomit), he's getting those minutes to Burks and the others. But lest we forget, we aren't the Thunder or Clippers. We need contributions from our guys and their skill set. So starting out with Foye out there as an option on O, when Al gets double teamed is ideal to me.


Roll with me for a minute on this. What other team doesn't start their best five players at position? Sure, there is always the crafted teams like SA who can actually afford use a guy like Ginobili on the second unit, or Jack, K Martin, JR Smith, Crawford. But look at those teams. Their starting five punishes your ass then they put a cherry on top with one of those guys on the second unit. The Jazz starting 5 isn't punishing any team with a winning record, they don't have the luxury of stashing killer fire power on the bench. I would argue instead that Foye, Kanter, Marv and Favors would more than anchor the second unit - hell, 2 of those guys are currently "starters", and the second unit would do just fine. Plus, re Foye, he is either on or off, seldom inbetween. For every night he has been on with the first unit he has been demonstrably off. Putting him on the second unit, (where he made his career before joining the Jazz), his OFF nights won't hurt half as bad. Until Mo gets back it is ridiculous to start either Tinsely or Watson. Seriously ridiculous given what Burks is showing right now. The Marv argument is what it is, so obvious that only Ty can't conceive it. And, seriously, GH would start on most teams right now, it is stupid to save his play making and O for roll-out with the second unit. If those guys, (Burks, DC and GH) are good enough to finish games, why the hell aren't they starting games?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Im not totally against it. BUT, Gordon Hayward is playing really really well in that second unit. To the point that we really can't expect anymore from him (Calgary, where have you gone?!). And I'm a big believer on that Gordon's talents are a bit wasted with Al in the lineup. So if Gordon can get minutes whenever Al is on the bench, I think that is an overall plus for the team. I mean, Gordon is the reason the 6th man of the year award was invented. Most teams have a really really good scoring player first of their bench. I'd add Harden for OKC, Dion Waiters was that guy in Cleveland, even Blatche in NJ. I think most teams dont have the luxury. And it just so happens, that with the way this team is structured, it's best that our leading scorer and probably one of our two best all around players do not start the games together. With Al the offensive black hole type he is, we need a really good spot up 3pt shooter. So Foye, perfect. If Gordo was in that role, his tools are wasted. And right now, Gordon is absolutely in the running for 6th man of the year.

With Foye/Kanter/Fav/Marv, who is going to be a facilitator? Not one of them can pass the ball. I shudder at that lineup...And Foye needs someone to get him the ball where he needs it. The biggest problem is when Corbin tries to make him a scorer verses a shooter, like Ty's done at the end of some games.

Mainly, I think all those other really good teams, have like 5 great players to start. Utah doesn't have that luxury, this team is more like the Billups Pistons. So we have to balance out the lineups, something that I believe Ty is killing this team with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 pm

OK, can't stop on this one.

Last 10 games:

Foye: 26.7 min, 1.2 rb, 10.7 ppg on 0.344 makes
GH: 33 min, 4.0 rb, 19.3 ppg on 0.440 on makes

Hmmm. Sure seems smart to start Foye, doesn't it? He gives the Jazz such a boost.

Watson: 22.1 min, 5 apg, 2.9 pts
Burks: 28.5 min, 3.0 apg, 11 pts

Hmmm, another tough one.

What is the Secret Strategy?

Imagine this, Ty mentoring Hornacek after the last game.

Horny: "So Ty, WTF?"

TY: "OK, Horny, this is why I'm the head coach and you hold my clipboard. We start some of our second unit guys on the starting roster to loll the other team into thinking we aren't competitive, not that good. But THEN, we roll out our secret starters with the second unit and CRUSH theirs...they'll never know what hit them. By the time the opposing team realizes we hid our starters until late in the game, they will have no answer."

Horny: "WTF"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

With Foye/Kanter/Fav/Marv, who is going to be a facilitator? Not one of them can pass the ball. I shudder at that lineup...And Foye needs someone to get him the ball where he needs it. The biggest problem is when Corbin tries to make him a scorer verses a shooter, like Ty's done at the end of some games.

Tinsley. Next question. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

With Foye/Kanter/Fav/Marv, who is going to be a facilitator? Not one of them can pass the ball. I shudder at that lineup...And Foye needs someone to get him the ball where he needs it. The biggest problem is when Corbin tries to make him a scorer verses a shooter, like Ty's done at the end of some games.

Tinsley. Next question. Very Happy

Hah, good. Point yours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 pm

MTJazz wrote:
OK, can't stop on this one.

Last 10 games:

Foye: 26.7 min, 1.2 rb, 10.7 ppg on 0.344 makes
GH: 33 min, 4.0 rb, 19.3 ppg on 0.440 on makes

Hmmm. Sure seems smart to start Foye, doesn't it? He gives the Jazz such a boost.

Watson: 22.1 min, 5 apg, 2.9 pts
Burks: 28.5 min, 3.0 apg, 11 pts

Hmmm, another tough one.

What is the Secret Strategy?

Imagine this, Ty mentoring Hornacek after the last game.

Horny: "So Ty, WTF?"

TY: "OK, Horny, this is why I'm the head coach and you hold my clipboard. We start some of our second unit guys on the starting roster to loll the other team into thinking we aren't competitive, not that good. But THEN, we roll out our secret starters with the second unit and CRUSH theirs...they'll never know what hit them. By the time the opposing team realizes we hid our starters until late in the game, they will have no answer."

Horny: "WTF"?

I feel like you're simplifying things too much, and this team isn't good enough to expect anything less than contributions from 8 players. Randy Foye is the best 3pt shooter on our team, and is shooting a career best I believe at almost 42%.
Al is our best low post scorer, leading scorer, and no matter what is going to lead the team in minutes most likely. Every great low post scorer had good outside shooters, and getting the ball to Al is easiest when the floor is spaced.
Hayward is well documented as my favorite player, and has been. He's a STUD, bottom line. But his elite skills negate some of Al's positives. More importantly, Al negates some of Haywards best.

My thing is, why not have it all, why not have the best of both worlds? Foye is a good 3pt shooter, Al is maybe the best low post scorer in the league, Hayward can do it all PLUS set up other guys for success like Paul/Fav/Burks/Kanter/Foye.
Lastly, moving Foye to the bench with those other guys will give him WORSE looks at the basket.

Lastly, do you actually think that Corbins brain would be able to handle all the rotation changes if that were to happen???? He's effing it all up now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

With Foye/Kanter/Fav/Marv, who is going to be a facilitator? Not one of them can pass the ball. I shudder at that lineup...And Foye needs someone to get him the ball where he needs it. The biggest problem is when Corbin tries to make him a scorer verses a shooter, like Ty's done at the end of some games.

Tinsley. Next question. Very Happy

Hah, good. Point yours.

Nice new avatar Tang.

Funny thing is this whole DC v Marv discussion is across all the Jazz fan boards and pundit blogs and can't find a single soul out there brave enough, (or stupid enough) to make a stand on why Marv is starting over DC. Somehow this has come down to a Jazz FO and Ty situation, and they are crazy stubborn about holding this course. I can't imagine why, but they are doing it. And, as I am feverently trying to fan the flames on, at this point, with the season looking like 8th seed, fending off the Lakers, why the hell isn't the discussion about starting the best 5 players, not just DC, on the table? What the hell really do the Jazz have to lose by giving GH, Burks and DC starts, now? These guys are our in next year'starting line-up, (plus Favors), so why not give them the run now in what is otherwise kinda a bust season? Kanter and Favors aren't better than Al/Sap this year, so no complaints on them doing second unit duty. But the stats and eye don't lie, DC, Burks, and GH should be starting. When Mo gets back, and he doesn't have 3 inches of rust on him, sure, send Burks back to the second unit. (side note: no matter how much rust Mo has on him Ty will start him - its a veteran thing, we just don't understand, dumbass fans are we).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

My thing is, why not have it all, why not have the best of both worlds? Foye is a good 3pt shooter, Al is maybe the best low post scorer in the league, Hayward can do it all PLUS set up other guys for success like Paul/Fav/Burks/Kanter/Foye.
Lastly, moving Foye to the bench with those other guys will give him WORSE looks at the basket.

Lastly, do you actually think that Corbins brain would be able to handle all the rotation changes if that were to happen???? He's effing it all up now!

Good 3-baller or not, Foye is doing 28 mpg and scoring around 11 pts per game, whether 3-balls, 2's or FT's. Whatever. Body of work. He is an average at best defender, is shit on rebounds and assists. GH is clearly superior, there is no argument except somehow GH is a secret weapon off the bench. Good teams start their best 5. And the reason the Jazz aren't starting their 5 best players is.....? (That is why they START, they are better than the NON-STARTERS, and play the other team's best 5 as starters).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:34 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

My thing is, why not have it all, why not have the best of both worlds? Foye is a good 3pt shooter, Al is maybe the best low post scorer in the league, Hayward can do it all PLUS set up other guys for success like Paul/Fav/Burks/Kanter/Foye.
Lastly, moving Foye to the bench with those other guys will give him WORSE looks at the basket.

Lastly, do you actually think that Corbins brain would be able to handle all the rotation changes if that were to happen???? He's effing it all up now!

Good 3-baller or not, Foye is doing 28 mpg and scoring around 11 pts per game, whether 3-balls, 2's or FT's. Whatever. Body of work. He is an average at best defender, is shit on rebounds and assists. GH is clearly superior, there is no argument except somehow GH is a secret weapon off the bench. Good teams start their best 5. And the reason the Jazz aren't starting their 5 best players is.....? (That is why they START, they are better than the NON-STARTERS, and play the other team's best 5 as starters).

Agree agree agree.

Disagree on the second part, all good teams starting their best starting 5 (Ginobili is better than Danny Green and Utah is closer to San Antonio in that respect). But more so I think we disagree that we have a BEST starting 5. I think we have a best starting 6 or 7. Maybe 8 to include Burks. Shoot, we're close to having 9 with UnderKanter.
Mo/Foye/DC/Paul/Al then Gordo/Fav/Burks. I think they're all basically equals and all are needed contributions for this team to win. So our problem? Ty Corbin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Ya know, there is lots of talk about the Jazz future surrounding the Core 4, (Fav, Kanter, Burks, GH), but realistically shouldn't DC be considered as the 5th core member? DC is still young, 24 (1-year older than GH), and I dare say if the Jazz had drafted him he would be every bit considered to be one of those KOC genius draft picks, everybody slapping each other on the back for how smart the Jazz are identifying talent others overlook. Granted, KOC did kinda discover him, pulling him out of the oblivion of the development league, but DC isn't on a rookie contract and is in fact a FA agent after this season. If you are Lindsey, isn't signing DC like your first order of off-season business, create the Core 5?

Tonight's game against the Meekcats was a peak at how these 5 young guys, (and not to be left out of this, Evans, who was a stud) play together on the floor. It was fast, fluid, sharp and fun to watch. DC had 19 pts, 3 rbs and 3 steals in 20 minutes. Marv, 1 pt, 4 rbs in 17. How can Ty not start DC at this point?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter
avatar

Posts : 330
Points : 374
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:58 am

MTJazz wrote:
Ya know, there is lots of talk about the Jazz future surrounding the Core 4, (Fav, Kanter, Burks, GH), but realistically shouldn't DC be considered as the 5th core member? DC is still young, 24 (1-year older than GH), and I dare say if the Jazz had drafted him he would be every bit considered to be one of those KOC genius draft picks, everybody slapping each other on the back for how smart the Jazz are identifying talent others overlook. Granted, KOC did kinda discover him, pulling him out of the oblivion of the development league, but DC isn't on a rookie contract and is in fact a FA agent after this season. If you are Lindsey, isn't signing DC like your first order of off-season business, create the Core 5?

Tonight's game against the Meekcats was a peak at how these 5 young guys, (and not to be left out of this, Evans, who was a stud) play together on the floor. It was fast, fluid, sharp and fun to watch. DC had 19 pts, 3 rbs and 3 steals in 20 minutes. Marv, 1 pt, 4 rbs in 17. How can Ty not start DC at this point?

To me there is no doubt that DC should be added to that list of core member's and with the way Evans was able to hit those outside shot's in last night's game he should also be on the list. Evens only flaw has been his outside shot and if he can knock them down like he was doing in last nights game then he is a whole new player for the Jazz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:27 am

dongibby wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Ya know, there is lots of talk about the Jazz future surrounding the Core 4, (Fav, Kanter, Burks, GH), but realistically shouldn't DC be considered as the 5th core member? DC is still young, 24 (1-year older than GH), and I dare say if the Jazz had drafted him he would be every bit considered to be one of those KOC genius draft picks, everybody slapping each other on the back for how smart the Jazz are identifying talent others overlook. Granted, KOC did kinda discover him, pulling him out of the oblivion of the development league, but DC isn't on a rookie contract and is in fact a FA agent after this season. If you are Lindsey, isn't signing DC like your first order of off-season business, create the Core 5?

Tonight's game against the Meekcats was a peak at how these 5 young guys, (and not to be left out of this, Evans, who was a stud) play together on the floor. It was fast, fluid, sharp and fun to watch. DC had 19 pts, 3 rbs and 3 steals in 20 minutes. Marv, 1 pt, 4 rbs in 17. How can Ty not start DC at this point?

To me there is no doubt that DC should be added to that list of core member's and with the way Evans was able to hit those outside shot's in last night's game he should also be on the list. Evens only flaw has been his outside shot and if he can knock them down like he was doing in last nights game then he is a whole new player for the Jazz.

DC has actually been hitting them all year. DC already, even if he doesn't finally get that starting spot, is the type of guy you keep and dont let go. Perfect teammate, absolute positive on the court, and hes that guy nobody wants to play against, but everyone loves on the team.

Evans really surprised me with that short jumper. If he has that, then his game can totally take off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star
avatar

Posts : 729
Points : 812
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:29 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

Evans really surprised me with that short jumper. If he has that, then his game can totally take off.

Wondering myself if Evans actually could transform his game as a SF. He is an enigma - the Jazz signed him to a multi-year contract then firmly planted his ass on the bench. Wonder if they actually saw a late bloomer in Evans, a guy whose game could be quietly developed, under the radar, until he was ready to contribute. The jumpers he showed last night were smoooooooth, especially that turnaround. He just is too small to play the PF, no doubt, but I like the idea of him becoming a 3.

This sounds awful to say, but I wouldn't mind a season-ending injury to Marv, forcing Ty into giving DC and Evans more time. Hard to make to much from one game against the lousy Cats but suddenly the argument that the Jazz have far more line-up diversity than we have seen to-date has legs. Unfortunately, we all know that as the playoffs approach we are going to see a tightening of the rotations, not an expansion. The Jazz are whole hog in on a starting 5 line-up that is arguably stupid and even an inflexible second unit rotation that has frozen Kanter at 12 mpg, (no matter how Favors or Al is playing) and Evans with DNPs. We aren't really going to get a good look at what this team can do with the young talent until next year. The Jazz bright lights will ride the Al/Sap/Foye/Marvin into the ground this year, maybe make the playoffs. After that happens, I sincerely hope the FO and Ty tear up the internal rule book, let Al and Sap go if they won't sign for reasonable money, and let the new roster compete for minutes based on talent, not salaries or number of years as a veteran. I'd rather watch a young, energetic and hustling underdog team that doesn't make the playoffs but plays with fierce determination than one perennially stocked with short-term contract veterans just good enough to challenge for the 8th seed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1765
Points : 2172
Reputation : 75
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
dongibby wrote:


To me there is no doubt that DC should be added to that list of core member's and with the way Evans was able to hit those outside shot's in last night's game he should also be on the list. Evens only flaw has been his outside shot and if he can knock them down like he was doing in last nights game then he is a whole new player for the Jazz.

DC has actually been hitting them all year. DC already, even if he doesn't finally get that starting spot, is the type of guy you keep and dont let go. Perfect teammate, absolute positive on the court, and hes that guy nobody wants to play against, but everyone loves on the team.

Evans really surprised me with that short jumper. If he has that, then his game can totally take off.

Ya, DC is definitely a keeper, worth mid level money if that is what it takes.

I just read yesterday that Evans has been working with Hornacek on his jumper every day along side Burks and Hayward, that clearly showed last night.

As for him becoming a SF, I used to think that was his path, but now I'm not so sure. Sure he's rail thin, but he's also LOOOOONG and freakishly athletic. His length will allow him to stay with the PF's in the league and his athleticism gives him an advantage at PF that isn't as prominent at SF. On top of that he's a great shot blocker, and as we learned with AK, keeping those guys near the rim just increases their effectiveness. I really like him as an energy guy off the bench, and he makes a nice compliment to Kanter's bullish game as we saw last night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:02 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Evans really surprised me with that short jumper. If he has that, then his game can totally take off.

Wondering myself if Evans actually could transform his game as a SF. He is an enigma - the Jazz signed him to a multi-year contract then firmly planted his ass on the bench. Wonder if they actually saw a late bloomer in Evans, a guy whose game could be quietly developed, under the radar, until he was ready to contribute. The jumpers he showed last night were smoooooooth, especially that turnaround. He just is too small to play the PF, no doubt, but I like the idea of him becoming a 3.

This sounds awful to say, but I wouldn't mind a season-ending injury to Marv, forcing Ty into giving DC and Evans more time. Hard to make to much from one game against the lousy Cats but suddenly the argument that the Jazz have far more line-up diversity than we have seen to-date has legs. Unfortunately, we all know that as the playoffs approach we are going to see a tightening of the rotations, not an expansion. The Jazz are whole hog in on a starting 5 line-up that is arguably stupid and even an inflexible second unit rotation that has frozen Kanter at 12 mpg, (no matter how Favors or Al is playing) and Evans with DNPs. We aren't really going to get a good look at what this team can do with the young talent until next year. The Jazz bright lights will ride the Al/Sap/Foye/Marvin into the ground this year, maybe make the playoffs. After that happens, I sincerely hope the FO and Ty tear up the internal rule book, let Al and Sap go if they won't sign for reasonable money, and let the new roster compete for minutes based on talent, not salaries or number of years as a veteran. I'd rather watch a young, energetic and hustling underdog team that doesn't make the playoffs but plays with fierce determination than one perennially stocked with short-term contract veterans just good enough to challenge for the 8th seed.

Evans is a SF, just like Daye is. If Utah played a zone defense then Evans would be fine as a PF. But that kid is like 215lbs right? He can't compete against PFs, he'd have to be a SF. But there are ways to get him on the court if his jumper becomes true. I'm still so surprised he did that.

Hah, it is awful, but I actually tip-toed around the same thing last week. Not wishing harm, but thats seriously the only way that Ty Corbin makes the correct move. Burks sure is feeling fortunate. Not only that, but if Marv went down, Ty would do what most coaches do and NOT mess anything else up. So DC would seamlessly move right into the starting lineup, and Gordo etc would stay where they are. Would be great.

ORRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr.......Ty Corbin could do what everyone else in Jazz nation and across the world can see, and thats to tell Marv that he thinks he'd be better as a boost off the bench What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thejazzkickazz
6th man


Posts : 126
Points : 158
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Maybe we could just root for ol'Marv to get a case of mononucleosis. That way, it doesn't do him any bodily harm, but he could easily miss the rest of the season. And if she is hot enough, he won't regret the girl he caught it from, either. Problem solved! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollificus
All Star
avatar

Posts : 553
Points : 684
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 97
Location : Sugarhouse

PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 pm

MTJazz wrote:


This sounds awful to say, but I wouldn't mind a season-ending injury to Marv, forcing Ty into giving DC and Evans more time.

Yes, you're a terrible person, to say that. WAAAY worse than me, as I was only thinking it. Twisted Evil

MTJazz wrote:
Wondering myself if Evans actually could transform his game as a SF.

A couple of jumpers do not a SF make. Nor does jumping ability make a PF. Nor do long arms and shot-blocking ability make a player Andre Kirilenko, who is almost exactly opposite Evans, skills-wise.

Evans needs SOME ball-handling skills, defensive quickness and/or a reliable shot to be a productive SF.
He needs either to become bigger or demonstrate hard, hard effort in boxing out, smart positioning on rebounds and willingness to take a lot of punishment defending bigger guys at the PF position.

He seems like a great kid and the athleticism IS intriguing, but if the Jazz ever get 10-15 min a game from him, that would be a win.

PS) I'd be VERY happy to be wrong about him!


Last edited by Trollificus on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'd be VERY happy to be wrong about him!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: DC Deserves His Own Thread   

Back to top Go down
 
DC Deserves His Own Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Plog!! (power log thread)
» Custom Chassis Build Thread
» The Costume Thread....
» The Home Audio thread
» The Official Polo Shirt Thread...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Utah Jazz Nation :: The Utah Jazz-
Jump to: