The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Quick breakdown of the road to the playoffs for the 3 teams fighting for 8th, Hollingers Playoff Odds currently predicts that all three teams will finish 41-41...

Quote :

The Mavericks, Lakers and Jazz all have 11 games left on their 82-game schedules.

With an assist to Gregory Found from ESPN Stats & Information, here's how the race for No. 8 in the West breaks down between the three teams in four key categories:

Schedules

* The Mavs play six of their final 11 games at home.

* The Lakers also play six of their final 11 games at home.

* The Jazz, who have the worst road record (10-27) of any team still in playoff contention, play seven of their final 11 games at home.

Strength of schedule

* The Mavs play the 16th-toughest remaining schedule in terms of opponent winning percentage: .506

* The Lakers play the seventh-toughest: .523

* The Jazz play the 13th-toughest: .508

Back-to-backs

* The Mavs have two back-to-backs left: 1. Denver (A)/Sacramento (A); 2. New Orleans (A)/Memphis (H)

* The Lakers also have two left: 1. Minnesota (A)/Milwaukee (A); 2. New Orleans (H)/Portland (A)

* The Jazz have one left: Portland (A)/Brooklyn (H).

Tiebreakers

* The Mavericks have already lost the head-to-head tiebreaker with Utah by losing the season series (2-1) with no games left between them.

* The Lakers have also lost the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Jazz by losing the season (2-1) with no games left between them.

* The Lakers currently own the head-to-head tiebreaker over Dallas, but that could change April 2 when the Mavs go to Staples Center to try to even the season series at 2-2.

* If the Mavericks and Lakers wind up splitting their season series and need to break a tie between the teams for that last playoff spot, conference record will be the determining factor because the teams are in different divisions. The Lakers (19-23) currently have a slight edge on Dallas (19-24), but those records can obviously change a lot between now and the end of the regular season.

* The Jazz have likewise already clinched the three-way tiebreaker if the teams all ind up deadlocked for the No. 8 seed at season's end because they sport the best record in games among the three teams at 4-2 with no games left. The Lakers are 3-3 against the other two teams with the April 2 game against the Mavs remaining; Dallas is 2-4 against the other two with one game left.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4695247/mavs-lakers-jazz-battling-for-no-8-seed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 am

Looks to me like the next 3 game stretch is the critical one. I have them all predicted as "toss ups" - they win 1 or 2 of those and....

However, I think the odds might have gotten significantly better with Meta going down. He was actually playing good ball and back to being an elite defender who can score. This race clearly is going down to the wire, which is good for the NBA and fan interest. Once again, Lakers and Jazz in a death match, the rivalry continues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

MTJazz wrote:
Looks to me like the next 3 game stretch is the critical one. I have them all predicted as "toss ups" - they win 1 or 2 of those and....

However, I think the odds might have gotten significantly better with Meta going down. He was actually playing good ball and back to being an elite defender who can score. This race clearly is going down to the wire, which is good for the NBA and fan interest. Once again, Lakers and Jazz in a death match, the rivalry continues.

Don't forget Dallas....they could easily creep in there too. Already have, actually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:06 pm

The No-call at the end of last nights game where Kobe fouled Rubio on what would have been a buzzer-beating 3 to tie the game didn't help. Today, the NBA admitted the refs missed that call. http://www.nba.com/2013/news/03/28/wolves-lakers-kobe-foul.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

Kobe's response was that they don't call that a foul in the NBA. And, even if they did, he said, the game would have gone into overtime and the Lakers would have won then.

Ugh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:10 pm

And, watching the Lakers/Bucks game. It's at half-time and Kobe is already getting calls his way. Even the Lakers' announcers are questioning the calls! We'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Saint Louis wrote:
And, watching the Lakers/Bucks game. It's at half-time and Kobe is already getting calls his way. Even the Lakers' announcers are questioning the calls! We'll see.

A little love from the refs for the Fakies and Kobe, what the hell is new? I know they don't purposefully do it but we all know they do. The league pretty much needs them in the playoffs, or think they do. I think a better and more engaging story is their epic fail not making the playoffs and the drama of them dong the resurrection to redemption thing (attempt), better story line in my book. Seriously, look at that squad and tell me they shouldn't on paper be in the top 3 in the West, easy. Gotta pretty solid feeling that they are going to shut out the Jazz but who knows about Dallas. After beating up on two patsy teams in a row its not like my confidence in the Jazz has changed much. They have had a preternatural ability to play inconsistently all season long, what is going to change now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Really great night for the Jazz tonight, Lakers lose and Mavs get throttled at home, Jazz now 1 game ahead of Dallas and 1/2 a game back of LA.

and here I was thinking that the door had slammed shut a week ago...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Really great night for the Jazz tonight, Lakers lose and Mavs get throttled at home, Jazz now 1 game ahead of Dallas and 1/2 a game back of LA.

and here I was thinking that the door had slammed shut a week ago...

Woot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 am

Anybody besides me keeping an eye on the Battle of LA this afternoon? C'mon, Clips! Fakeis were NOT supposed to win against Memphis...and we have GSW tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Anybody besides me keeping an eye on the Battle of LA this afternoon? C'mon, Clips! Fakeis were NOT supposed to win against Memphis...and we have GSW tonight.

Ya, be really tough for the Jazz to recover if they lose and the Lakers win. That would put them effectively 2 games back and I think that would be it, all over but the crying. I think either a Laker loss or a Jazz win keeps them in it but just barely, and a Jazz win with a Laker loss gives the Jazz a 50/50 shot going into what has turned into a super tough last 4 games due to the fact that Minnesota is suddenly healthy and playing better than they have all season.

Any way you look at it, gonna be an uphill battle for the Jazz.

I REALLY want the Jazz to win tonight though. Really want to see Golden State lose a few games to close the season and have that draft pick drop into the teens.

Oh, and quick update on the draft pics, most likely scenario right now is Jazz getting picks 14 and 21.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:35 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Oh, and quick update on the draft pics, most likely scenario right now is Jazz getting picks 14 and 21.

And your man, Burk, is becoming increasingly less realistic of a pick for Utah now that he has lead his team to the finals. His stock has to be soaring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

And your man, Burk, is becoming increasingly less realistic of a pick for Utah now that he has lead his team to the finals. His stock has to be soaring.

Ummm, unless he plays better than he did last night I'd say his stock is dipping. I was really unimpressed, same too with Hardaway. I think those guys should stay in school another year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:08 pm

MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Ummm, unless he plays better than he did last night I'd say his stock is dipping. I was really unimpressed, same too with Hardaway. I think those guys should stay in school another year.

I made an assumption that Burk was playing well. Truth is, I haven't watched any of Michigan's tourney games.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Clips up 12 pts late in third with Fakies - Kobe is one hobbled dude. Not sure he is gonna survive this push...or will have to retire due to chronic injury at season end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm

MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Everyone has a bad game from time to time. (I only saw last 4 minutes or game last night) but Burke was phenomenal the game before. Has been pretty solid during the tournament. Stock has definitely gone up the last two weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:28 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Everyone has a bad game from time to time. (I only saw last 4 minutes or game last night) but Burke was phenomenal the game before. Has been pretty solid during the tournament. Stock has definitely gone up the last two weeks.
would you bundle our picks to move up to 8th to get burke?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I would. What use are the draft picks if we can't pick up a potential starting PG?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

If we could be assured that we would get him....yes, I would bundle them in a second.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Good question Richard, and absolutely. We are young enough, dont need another rookie, and only position we are hurting for is PG. Bundle away. Or sign and Trade Al and the picks for 8 Very Happy

Last edited by Mutangclan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:26 pm

I think this year teams will be looking to move back a little for more picks unlike last couple years it was allmost impossible. I think this year has a lot of good talent but no real superstar talent? I with yea if we get a great PG Hell if you had top 7 and no PGs where off the board who would you take first?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:56 am

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Ya, Burke is a consenus top 10 pick now. Carter-Williams will probably be up there too. Neither of them played particularly well against eachother, but they have both had some solid games in the tournament while other top picks were either sitting at home of flaming out.

Be interesting to see how the offseason workouts change things. Burke is considered the better basketball player, Carter-Williams is considered to have the higher cieling.

When you look at teams picking in the lottery only a few of them will be looking for a smallish pure PG (Magic and maybe the Pistons and Suns), so I kind of think that at least one of them will slide out of the top 10. If Burke is on the board at pick 7-10 (Kings, Thunder, Wizards, T-Wolves) it is very easy to imagine one of those teams being interested in trading down with a team like Utah eager to get their hands on Burke.

Another option recently popped up as well, Shane Larkin the PG for Miami who was very good this year, is leaning towards declaring, so he's a possible alternative with the GS pick. He's a smallish pure PG that is super quick and can do everything well, a lot like Burke actually, only quicker and not as long.

I would not be surprised, if the Jazz wanted to move up to get somebody, if they dangled Burks, Murphy, and/or the rights to Tomic. Tomic has been playing pretty well in europe this season, so he may yet have value, and I remain skeptical that the Jazz FO thinks Burks is worth hoarding long term, I could easily see him being part of some kind of deal.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 am

Enjoyed watching the Lakers lose yesterday. Good stuff.

As far as the Jazz' possible picks go .... looking at a few mock drafts;

Bleacher Report has Burke going #6, Carter-Williams #12. The Jazz take Dario Saric (SF - Croatia) & Isaiah Austin (PF - Baylor)

NBADraft.net has Burke going #7, Carter-Williams going #12. The Jazz take Rudy Gobert (C - France) & James McAdoo (SF/PF - N.Carolina)

ESPN Lottery Game has Burks going #6, Carter Williams going #13 under most situations.

Draft Express has Burke going #7, Carter-Williams going #12. The Jazz take Archie Goodwin (SG - Kentucky) & Jeff Withey (C - Kansas)

So they Jazz are all over the place right now, which makes sense at this point. A couple items of note; none of the mocks have the Jazz taking a PG, and couple have them taking Euro's who may not play this upcoming year. If the Jazz don't make a trade, then I think taking a Euro-stash player may actually be a very realistic move. They really don't need to add two more rookies to a very young roster, so stashing a player overseas for a year or two may be a smart move.

On a side note, the #12 pick is Portland. I find it interesting that most mocks have them taking Carter-Williams since they already have Lillard, and also have Maynor playing so well right now.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:49 am

Updated odds for making the playoffs from Hollinger today are Jazz 57.8%, Lakers 41.4%. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The downside is that the odds for keeping Coach Corbin have increased.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollificus
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Enjoyed watching the Lakers lose yesterday. Good stuff. ( cheers sunny Very Happy I love you cheers)

On a side note, the #12 pick is Portland. I find it interesting that most mocks have them taking Carter-Williams since they already have Lillard, and also have Maynor playing so well right now.

ESPN NBA Notes wrote:

Asked to explain the rumored selection of a rookie PG on a team with two young PGs, one of whom looks worthy of as many minutes per game as he can handle (RoY Damian Lilliard), Blazers' GM Neil Olshey said:

"When I signed on to this job with the Trailblazers, it was with the understanding that I would honor the core values of the franchise. With that in mind, seeing that taking this young players would screw the Jazz, it's a no-brainer."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Des News had an article today predicte the remaining UT games & the remaining LAL games....

Tuesday, April 9
Oklahoma City at Utah - Probable outcome: Oklahoma City wins
New Orleans at Los Angeles - Probable outcome: Los Angeles wins
Probable standings result: Los Angeles jumps ahead of Utah by a half game.

Wednesday, April 10
Los Angeles at Portland - Probable outcome: Portland wins
This is the only back-to-back set between the Jazz and the Lakers, with travel throwing in a possible wrench. Portland forwards LaMarcus Aldridge and Nicholas Batum could both be healthy for these games, making the Blazers a tougher-than-first-glance lottery opponent.
Probable standings result: Los Angeles and Utah fall into a tie for eighth place.

Friday, April 12
Minnesota at Utah - Probable outcome: Utah wins
Golden State at Los Angeles - Probable outcome: Los Angeles wins
Probable standings result: Los Angeles and Utah remain tied for eighth place.

Sunday, April 14
San Antonio at Los Angeles - Probable outcome: San Antonio wins
Probable standings result: Utah jumps ahead of Los Angeles by a half game.

Monday, April 15
Utah at Minnesota - Probable outcome: Utah wins
Probable standings result: Utah increases its lead over Los Angeles to one game.

Wednesday, April 17
Utah at Memphis - Probable outcome: Memphis wins
Houston at Los Angeles - Probable outcome: Los Angeles wins
Probable standings result: Los Angeles and Utah fall into a tie for eighth place, and the Jazz are awarded a playoff spot by virtue of head-to-head tiebreaker.

The games that I would be most likely to disagree with are;

LAL @ Portland - there's validity to the points made by the writer of the article, but the Lakers will be playing for their lives while POR will be playing for ping-pong balls, so I'm sure the Lakers will be playing harder.

LAL @ SA - who the hell knows who will even be playing for the Spurs, who typically start giving a lot of time off to their top players this time of year, even if they are in a playoff seeding race. Also, knowing that getting the #1 seed may land you the Lakers probably isn't either OKC or SA's favorite idea.

UT @ MN - I question any road game that the Jazz are expected to win.

If those three games flip, then the Lakers would walk into the playoffs. The UT @ MEM game may also see some resting players on Memphis' team though, so that one may be more winnable as well.

No matter how you slice it, it seems like it'll come down to the last couple games of the season. Exciting times!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.   

Back to top Go down

Jazz Playoffs? It's a Laker's thing.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next