The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!
 
HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Change.org Fire Coach T

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
zero24gravity
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1137
Points : 1423
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-04-27
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:21 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
thejazzkickazz wrote:
I am going to also jump on the anti-anti-Ty bandwagon. His coaching hasn't been perfect this season, but he deserves a full season with a stable team. He's had one half-season, one lockout-shortened season, and a season with 9 free agents. He's had to deal with a lot of injuries and instability. I'm willing to give him one more shot to prove his value to the team.

Come on....there is always going to be something to deal with. That's part of the job. How long are we going to make excuses?

Corbin's famous line (after EVERY single loss) "it's just one game" is gonna come back to haunt him as the jazz are possibly gonna miss the playoffs by "just one game".

We take care of business against the Pelicans, the Cavs, and a depleted New York team TWICE and we are not having this conversation. (This is only mentioning the teams we have absolutely no business whatsoever losing to....not even including all the other very winnable games)

Right. Next year the excuse can be, "it's a transition year. Millsap &/or Al are gone, the team is searching for a new identity, there are a lot of new players, etc, etc, etc."

If he is back (which I expect) I will still hope & pray for him to succeed as a coach. I'd love to be wrong about him, but I have a feeling that if the team does well it wont' be Ty that makes the positive difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
The Voice of Reason
Admin
avatar

Posts : 498
Points : 617
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 am

zero24gravity wrote:
The Voice of Reason wrote:
thejazzkickazz wrote:
I am going to also jump on the anti-anti-Ty bandwagon. His coaching hasn't been perfect this season, but he deserves a full season with a stable team. He's had one half-season, one lockout-shortened season, and a season with 9 free agents. He's had to deal with a lot of injuries and instability. I'm willing to give him one more shot to prove his value to the team.

Come on....there is always going to be something to deal with. That's part of the job. How long are we going to make excuses?

Corbin's famous line (after EVERY single loss) "it's just one game" is gonna come back to haunt him as the jazz are possibly gonna miss the playoffs by "just one game".

We take care of business against the Pelicans, the Cavs, and a depleted New York team TWICE and we are not having this conversation. (This is only mentioning the teams we have absolutely no business whatsoever losing to....not even including all the other very winnable games)

Right. Next year the excuse can be, "it's a transition year. Millsap &/or Al are gone, the team is searching for a new identity, there are a lot of new players, etc, etc, etc."

If he is back (which I expect) I will still hope & pray for him to succeed as a coach. I'd love to be wrong about him, but I have a feeling that if the team does well it wont' be Ty that makes the positive difference.

I like this...a lot. I personally would like to see Ty gone. However, if he is here, I will not cheer against him. I will hope that he succeeds and develops into the kind of head coach that will help the Jazz succeed.

That said, I will probably criticize him still if he continues to suck. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 am

This is CJ Miles all over again for me. The guy is given a chance for waaaaay too long. He gives us all the evidence we need, but we just keep hoping he'll "turn the corner".

I knew what I knew as a fan, but never cheered against him, and I wont with Ty. I want the Jazz to WIN.....Doesn't change the fact I really hope he's in Cleveland too next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm

http://nba.si.com/2013/04/10/nba-disappointments-los-angeles-lakers-utah-jazz/

Utah Jazz
If anyone knows what it is exactly that coach Tyrone Corbin is doing in terms of managing his rotation, I’d love to know. This was supposed to be a year of gradual change, with the Jazz better incorporating the emerging Derrick Favors, 21, giving a chance to second-year players Alec Burks and Enes Kanter and seeing the next step in the development of third-year swingman Gordon Hayward. Instead, Utah worked its offense through Al Jefferson to a fault and compounded its problems through Corbin’s baffling lineup constructions.

His choices have been a bit better of late, but I fail to trace the logic in Corbin’s strategic decisions — namely his reluctance to balance out the offense away from Jefferson’s post-centric work and the seeming lack of defensive direction that makes matters worse for a team that needs more schematic help than it gets. The Jazz’s young players have produced some fantastic showings when compensating for teammates’ injuries, but otherwise this team has accomplished so amazingly little in the way of legitimate progress.


Thats all I've been saying for months, BALANCE, defense, and only time Corbin looked decent was when injuries finally forced him to play the guys that needed to be played.
Its no mob, its factual. Fire Tyrone, he's terrible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1765
Points : 2172
Reputation : 75
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
http://nba.si.com/2013/04/10/nba-disappointments-los-angeles-lakers-utah-jazz/

Utah Jazz
If anyone knows what it is exactly that coach Tyrone Corbin is doing in terms of managing his rotation, I’d love to know. This was supposed to be a year of gradual change, with the Jazz better incorporating the emerging Derrick Favors, 21, giving a chance to second-year players Alec Burks and Enes Kanter and seeing the next step in the development of third-year swingman Gordon Hayward. Instead, Utah worked its offense through Al Jefferson to a fault and compounded its problems through Corbin’s baffling lineup constructions.

His choices have been a bit better of late, but I fail to trace the logic in Corbin’s strategic decisions — namely his reluctance to balance out the offense away from Jefferson’s post-centric work and the seeming lack of defensive direction that makes matters worse for a team that needs more schematic help than it gets. The Jazz’s young players have produced some fantastic showings when compensating for teammates’ injuries, but otherwise this team has accomplished so amazingly little in the way of legitimate progress.


Thats all I've been saying for months, BALANCE, defense, and only time Corbin looked decent was when injuries finally forced him to play the guys that needed to be played.
Its no mob, its factual. Fire Tyrone, he's terrible.

We'll see. If the Jazz let Jefferson go and build the team around the young core then I think half of Corbin's problems go away, at least until Jazz fans blame him for the Core 4 all not becoming all-stars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
http://nba.si.com/2013/04/10/nba-disappointments-los-angeles-lakers-utah-jazz/

Utah Jazz
If anyone knows what it is exactly that coach Tyrone Corbin is doing in terms of managing his rotation, I’d love to know. This was supposed to be a year of gradual change, with the Jazz better incorporating the emerging Derrick Favors, 21, giving a chance to second-year players Alec Burks and Enes Kanter and seeing the next step in the development of third-year swingman Gordon Hayward. Instead, Utah worked its offense through Al Jefferson to a fault and compounded its problems through Corbin’s baffling lineup constructions.

His choices have been a bit better of late, but I fail to trace the logic in Corbin’s strategic decisions — namely his reluctance to balance out the offense away from Jefferson’s post-centric work and the seeming lack of defensive direction that makes matters worse for a team that needs more schematic help than it gets. The Jazz’s young players have produced some fantastic showings when compensating for teammates’ injuries, but otherwise this team has accomplished so amazingly little in the way of legitimate progress.


Thats all I've been saying for months, BALANCE, defense, and only time Corbin looked decent was when injuries finally forced him to play the guys that needed to be played.
Its no mob, its factual. Fire Tyrone, he's terrible.

We'll see. If the Jazz let Jefferson go and build the team around the young core then I think half of Corbin's problems go away, at least until Jazz fans blame him for the Core 4 all not becoming all-stars.

Hah, lets hope. Half of Corbins problems go away, and we're the 5th seed.
Dont let that nice weather get you all sweet on Corbin there Mags.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 pm

A SEASON low in points, and SEASON low in FG%....... in a must-win or go home...

Now, the players gotta play. Players gotta make layups. But you all can't tell me that there isn't now an OBVIOUS need for a new Head Coach. That offense was pathetic, rotations, AGAIN were pathetic.....

Bill Simmons, along with Jalen Rose and Mike Wilbon, just said it: " That was embarrassing, they have talent. They have shooters and rebounders. I dont think Ty Corbin ever knew what he had on that team. In a game they need, they score under 70? I never trusted his rotations. "

BINGO!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romoholic
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1090
Points : 1284
Reputation : 38
Join date : 2012-04-26
Age : 42
Location : Layton, Utah

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
A SEASON low in points, and SEASON low in FG%....... in a must-win or go home...

Now, the players gotta play. Players gotta make layups. But you all can't tell me that there isn't now an OBVIOUS need for a new Head Coach. That offense was pathetic, rotations, AGAIN were pathetic.....

Bill Simmons, along with Jalen Rose and Mike Wilbon, just said it: " That was embarrassing, they have talent. They have shooters and rebounders. I dont think Ty Corbin ever knew what he had on that team. In a game they need, they score under 70? I never trusted his rotations. "

BINGO!!!!

All you need to know is this, when asked about the pace of the game. Corbin " well they like to play a slow down game, so I'm not surprised by the pace of the game"

Are you freaking kidding me? I was about to send a tweet out to Greg Miller, but I figured I better calm down a little first!

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jazznation.forumotion.com
Trollificus
All Star
avatar

Posts : 553
Points : 684
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 97
Location : Sugarhouse

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm

That's pure Corbin. I mean, wtf??? What was he thinking there?

"Yeah, we shot 30%. They like to play defense so I wasn't surprised by us missin' shots."

"Yeah, we got beat on the boards 55-35. They like to go after rebounds so I wasn't surprised we stood around and watched."

"Yeah, we got beat by 35. They like to win games, so I wasn't surprised by the margin."

Guy's a lousy coach, but you can't surprise him. Apparently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm

I dont go on any other Jazz fan boards or whatever, this one is just fine for me. But man, it is amazing how every single one of the others are all saying the same thing: Fire Corbin.
This one was the game thread on slcdunk:

http://www.slcdunk.com/2013/4/17/4236682/nba-regular-season-utah-jazz-43-38-at-memphis-grizzlies-55-26-game

There's this one:

Good riddance, 2012-2013 Jazz. Begone.

It is better that one man be fired, than that a fanbase should dwindle and perish in unbelief.
by Fire Corbin on Apr 17, 2013 | 10:01 PM reply

this one:

im gonna be ty corbin for halloween.
and walk around with a suit on and yell random things while clapping.

’’LOUD NOISES!!" clap clap

hah.

But also, it's not just me and a mob, everyones all saying and seeing the same things!! Where is DC, where is Burks, Al of course loves Corbins offense.....on and on. But everyone, EVERYONE else is in disbelief with Corbin.

I know there is talk about the Jazz and the tradition, with keeping Tyrone. You know, because thats just how they do things, family, etc. But thats effing stupid. The Jazz didn't make changes for 20 years, because they had a great freaking coach. Thats not tradition, that was common sense. And lots of luck.
This is also common sense, with LOADS of information to back it up. MOVE ON. Let Al and Corbin both latch on in Charlotte or something...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romoholic
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1090
Points : 1284
Reputation : 38
Join date : 2012-04-26
Age : 42
Location : Layton, Utah

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
I dont go on any other Jazz fan boards or whatever, this one is just fine for me. But man, it is amazing how every single one of the others are all saying the same thing: Fire Corbin.
This one was the game thread on slcdunk:

http://www.slcdunk.com/2013/4/17/4236682/nba-regular-season-utah-jazz-43-38-at-memphis-grizzlies-55-26-game

There's this one:

Good riddance, 2012-2013 Jazz. Begone.

It is better that one man be fired, than that a fanbase should dwindle and perish in unbelief.
by Fire Corbin on Apr 17, 2013 | 10:01 PM reply

this one:

im gonna be ty corbin for halloween.
and walk around with a suit on and yell random things while clapping.

’’LOUD NOISES!!" clap clap

hah.

But also, it's not just me and a mob, everyones all saying and seeing the same things!! Where is DC, where is Burks, Al of course loves Corbins offense.....on and on. But everyone, EVERYONE else is in disbelief with Corbin.

I know there is talk about the Jazz and the tradition, with keeping Tyrone. You know, because thats just how they do things, family, etc. But thats effing stupid. The Jazz didn't make changes for 20 years, because they had a great freaking coach. Thats not tradition, that was common sense. And lots of luck.
This is also common sense, with LOADS of information to back it up. MOVE ON. Let Al and Corbin both latch on in Charlotte or something...

I don't agree with moving on from Al. He is our team right now. and with a better coach he will be an even better player.

Corbin should have never been hired in the first place and has no business as a head coach in the NBA.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jazznation.forumotion.com
Saint Louis
Starter


Posts : 382
Points : 473
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:50 am

MuTang, that link you provided led to a really infantile blog. Did I hit the right button? Was that a Twitter account? There were quite a few entries (and, unfortunately I plowed through all of them looking for something worthwhile). I must have been missing something as I read through all the posts. No one seemed to have anything worth saying, but, everyone seemed to be saying things anyway. What was the point of that blog? It certainly didn't sway me to the "Fire Ty" bandwagon. All it did was make me review my opinion that Jazz fans are more smart than other teams' fans. The Jazz fans on this site DO seem to be more smart than most of the other teams' fans-- but, maybe I'm wrong on both assessments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1765
Points : 2172
Reputation : 75
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:46 am

Saint Louis wrote:
MuTang, that link you provided led to a really infantile blog. Did I hit the right button? Was that a Twitter account? There were quite a few entries (and, unfortunately I plowed through all of them looking for something worthwhile). I must have been missing something as I read through all the posts. No one seemed to have anything worth saying, but, everyone seemed to be saying things anyway. What was the point of that blog? It certainly didn't sway me to the "Fire Ty" bandwagon. All it did was make me review my opinion that Jazz fans are more smart than other teams' fans. The Jazz fans on this site DO seem to be more smart than most of the other teams' fans-- but, maybe I'm wrong on both assessments.

That was just the game thread, not the entire Blog. SLCDunk.com is the biggest Jazz blog going and has a lot of good stuff from their writers as well as by far the largest community of followers who regularly comment.

Seemed like most of Jazz nation had a slobbering screaming meltdown last night, it was the same on twitter. I think part of that frustration arose from the fact that we saw some truly awful basketball in March, followed by some really good basketball in April, and then this last game, with everything on the line, it looked like the team from March.

I think Corbin deserves a great deal criticism for that failure simply because this team never seemed to have an identitiy. It never seemed to know what it was and, as Bill Simmons noted, he never seemed to know what he had, and that is a coaching failure. The good news is that is a fixable failure, and a failure that is typical with young coaches. The good news is that in spite of it's complete lack of identity, overwhelming fan negativity, and in in a lot of ways in spite of himslelf, he was able to rally the team and get them to play hard and believe in each other almost right to the bitter end, and that is something you can't teach.

Corbin is going to be here through the last year of his contract, I think all of Jazz nation is ready to move on from this team and this era of Jazz basketball and I think the Front Office knows that, so it should be interesting to see what happens this summer and what Corbin does with it next year, because I think next year his Job is going ot get a lot easier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter


Posts : 339
Points : 395
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Stick With What Is Not Working   Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:12 am

If I had to come up with one motto that best fits Ty Corbin, it would be "Stick With What Is Not Working", an apt phrase I saw recently used by Mu. It took a big dose of "Stick With What Is Not Working" to actually win a fewer percentage of games this season than last season and to miss the playoffs.

And even if by sheer force of talented players, we make the playoffs next year, I can't imagine a Corbin coached team winning a playoff series. So far Corbin is zero for five in playoff games or playoff type games, and he hasn't come close to winning a single game: Against the Spurs last season and again last night in a playoff type game against Memphis.

I wanted Corbin to succeed. There was a certain appeal about Ty Corbin: He was a Jazz guy; he had put in lots of time as a loyal lieutenant to Sloan; he was a NBA journeyman with below average talent, who, through sheer determination and hard work, managed to make himself a wanted player in the NBA for 16 seasons --- quite an accomplishment! And then there is the appealing "Jazz do it different mystique", whereby the Jazz pick a Coach and stick with him, giving him plenty of time to succeed rather than regularly turning over Coaches like many other teams are prone to do. But I have seen enough to make a decision to let him go.

That being said, I know I will probably have to live with Corbin for at least one more season, so I'll wistfully hope the "give him more time to develop" theory works. JMHO.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:56 am

I'm on record for my stance.

The only other thing I have to say, is that we have a GREAT group of young guys. This is not a team of veterans. Which makes is 10x more important to have a strong, smart, TEACHING leader in charge. These guys still have so much to learn, who is going to teach them??? Not Corbin.
I find myself wishing Doug Collins wanted to coach some youth, teach them how to play/win properly. If we had absolute stars like KD and Westbrook, then maybe not as important. But we have a bunch of really good players, and role players. No stars. There HAS to be coaching, on every level for this team to win and grow. I'm telling you, it's not Corbin.

This group desperately needs a Veteran coach IMO, that can grow with them, show them how.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:58 am

Saint Louis wrote:
MuTang, that link you provided led to a really infantile blog. Did I hit the right button? Was that a Twitter account? There were quite a few entries (and, unfortunately I plowed through all of them looking for something worthwhile). I must have been missing something as I read through all the posts. No one seemed to have anything worth saying, but, everyone seemed to be saying things anyway. What was the point of that blog? It certainly didn't sway me to the "Fire Ty" bandwagon. All it did was make me review my opinion that Jazz fans are more smart than other teams' fans. The Jazz fans on this site DO seem to be more smart than most of the other teams' fans-- but, maybe I'm wrong on both assessments.

My point on posting that, was that it's not just Jazznation.forum, it's every where. Everyone is seeing the same things, not just jumping on a bandwagon. No matter what outlet I read, it's all the same: Where's DC, where is Burkes, why Tinsley, and of course, Corbin is waaaaaaay over his head and a TERRIBLE coach, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thejazzkickazz
6th man


Posts : 126
Points : 158
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
I'm on record for my stance.

The only other thing I have to say, is that we have a GREAT group of young guys. This is not a team of veterans. Which makes is 10x more important to have a strong, smart, TEACHING leader in charge. These guys still have so much to learn, who is going to teach them??? Not Corbin.
I find myself wishing Doug Collins wanted to coach some youth, teach them how to play/win properly. If we had absolute stars like KD and Westbrook, then maybe not as important. But we have a bunch of really good players, and role players. No stars. There HAS to be coaching, on every level for this team to win and grow. I'm telling you, it's not Corbin.

This group desperately needs a Veteran coach IMO, that can grow with them, show them how.

I'm not a big fan of the whole "Fire Ty" mentality, mostly because I just don't do that. I trust the organization to make rational decisions based on their experience and knowledge of the game, which is much deeper than my own.

Having said that, this is by far the most cogent argument you have ever made about why Ty Corbin may be particularly unsuitable to coach this team, especially next season when the young guns will likely be unleashed as the big guns on a revamped team. Coach Ty did seem to ride the veterans as much as possible this season, and seemed afraid to take a chance with many of the young guns. If there was a "viable" veteran option, Coach Ty would ride that player, especially in crunch time, with a few exceptions.

So if that was the case this season, what will happen next season when it will be the expectations of all parties that GH, DF, EK and AB will play huge minutes, even during crunch time? Is he going to have patience with these guys, and provide them with the wisdom that only a seasoned, confident coach can? I'm not sure if he can perform in that capacity. In such cases, as a fan, you might hope that a coach with a great deal of experience in coaching and winning would be in that position. Ty Corbin was a rookie coach the same year that GH and DF were rookies. In some ways, he is as much a neophyte as they are.

The Jazz are willing to give him one more shot, and I will, too. But this is what I am worried about. Coach Ty's lack of experience as a head coach may be a hindrance with such a young team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thejazzkickazz
6th man


Posts : 126
Points : 158
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:
MuTang, that link you provided led to a really infantile blog. Did I hit the right button? Was that a Twitter account? There were quite a few entries (and, unfortunately I plowed through all of them looking for something worthwhile). I must have been missing something as I read through all the posts. No one seemed to have anything worth saying, but, everyone seemed to be saying things anyway. What was the point of that blog? It certainly didn't sway me to the "Fire Ty" bandwagon. All it did was make me review my opinion that Jazz fans are more smart than other teams' fans. The Jazz fans on this site DO seem to be more smart than most of the other teams' fans-- but, maybe I'm wrong on both assessments.

My point on posting that, was that it's not just Jazznation.forum, it's every where. Everyone is seeing the same things, not just jumping on a bandwagon. No matter what outlet I read, it's all the same: Where's DC, where is Burkes, why Tinsley, and of course, Corbin is waaaaaaay over his head and a TERRIBLE coach, etc.

I don't think it's any amazing coincidence that everybody everywhere is screaming for more minutes for Burks, DC and Kanter. Whenever a fan's favorite team is perceived to be underperforming, the first thing the fans do is scream for the backups to get more time (accompanied by calls for the head coach's head). So this doesn't seem particularly moving to me. Isn't the most popular player on a struggling football team always the backup QB?

There were times during the season that I thought Ty was making perplexing player-personnel moves, I must admit. But there were also many other structural and circumstantial problems for this team that were well out of Coach Ty's control. Three quarters of his players were free agents, and he had not a single viable PG for close to half the season (and even with Mo in the games, I still wondered if the team had a viable PG).

I never thought that this team was any better than average, so missing the playoffs is no shock. Disappointing? Yes. Shock? No. In order to improve for next year, the front office is going to have to be very shrewd and quite lucky. I'm crossing my fingers that they will get the right player mix in Utah next season so the team can return to being a genuine contender. The mix we had here just didn't cut it. (Hint: Al Jeff, Paul M and Mo W need to go.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1137
Points : 1423
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-04-27
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm

As much as it doesn't seen to make sense to 90% of the Jazz fan base, it does appear TyCo will be the coach of our Utah Jazz next year. It's not like a GM or owner has never said one things & then done another, but this article really makes me feel that Ty ain't goin anywhere.

Utah Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said Thursday afternoon that coach Tyrone Corbin has the "full support" of ownership and management despite the fact the team missed the playoffs this season.

"Ty's our coach and has the Miller's family full support," Lindsey said, adding the franchise "subscribes to a little different philosophy" than the "blame-the-coach culture" that is so common in professional sports.

"I know that's not going to pacify all the masses of our fans," Lindsey said. "But Ty is ... the right person to lead us and ... he's really growing as a coach."

Lindsey said executive vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor "saw a lot of growth" in Corbin during the season.



Full article:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/56181639-62/lindsey-jazz-coach-corbin.html.csp

I could make an argument against all the comments made by Linsey/KOC, but it's kinda pointless. I'm ready to start talking offseason. And if that doesn't include a new coach search... so be it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
thejazzkickazz
6th man


Posts : 126
Points : 158
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:16 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
As much as it doesn't seen to make sense to 90% of the Jazz fan base, it does appear TyCo will be the coach of our Utah Jazz next year. It's not like a GM or owner has never said one things & then done another, but this article really makes me feel that Ty ain't goin anywhere.

Utah Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said Thursday afternoon that coach Tyrone Corbin has the "full support" of ownership and management despite the fact the team missed the playoffs this season.

"Ty's our coach and has the Miller's family full support," Lindsey said, adding the franchise "subscribes to a little different philosophy" than the "blame-the-coach culture" that is so common in professional sports.

"I know that's not going to pacify all the masses of our fans," Lindsey said. "But Ty is ... the right person to lead us and ... he's really growing as a coach."

Lindsey said executive vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor "saw a lot of growth" in Corbin during the season.



Full article:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/56181639-62/lindsey-jazz-coach-corbin.html.csp

I could make an argument against all the comments made by Linsey/KOC, but it's kinda pointless. I'm ready to start talking offseason. And if that doesn't include a new coach search... so be it.

It's like the couple of months after a presidential election, and your guy didn't win. You have two choices, either support the guy who won and root for him to be successful, or be bitter and constantly find ways to undercut him. I didn't agree with everything Coach Ty did this season, and I would have supported it if the team decided to go in a different direction, but they didn't and I'm okay with that, too. I will be supporting the team and cheering for Coach Ty to do better next year. I hope everyone else here will try and be constructive, despite whatever misgivings each of us have regarding this decision. Don't be like Calg and hold a grudge for years and years against Sloan and the FO, just because decisions they make don't go your way. That can only lead to a lot of pain and frustration. Ask Calg, he'll tell ya!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1765
Points : 2172
Reputation : 75
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:15 pm

thejazzkickazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
As much as it doesn't seen to make sense to 90% of the Jazz fan base, it does appear TyCo will be the coach of our Utah Jazz next year. It's not like a GM or owner has never said one things & then done another, but this article really makes me feel that Ty ain't goin anywhere.

Utah Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said Thursday afternoon that coach Tyrone Corbin has the "full support" of ownership and management despite the fact the team missed the playoffs this season.

"Ty's our coach and has the Miller's family full support," Lindsey said, adding the franchise "subscribes to a little different philosophy" than the "blame-the-coach culture" that is so common in professional sports.

"I know that's not going to pacify all the masses of our fans," Lindsey said. "But Ty is ... the right person to lead us and ... he's really growing as a coach."

Lindsey said executive vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor "saw a lot of growth" in Corbin during the season.



Full article:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/56181639-62/lindsey-jazz-coach-corbin.html.csp

I could make an argument against all the comments made by Linsey/KOC, but it's kinda pointless. I'm ready to start talking offseason. And if that doesn't include a new coach search... so be it.

It's like the couple of months after a presidential election, and your guy didn't win. You have two choices, either support the guy who won and root for him to be successful, or be bitter and constantly find ways to undercut him. I didn't agree with everything Coach Ty did this season, and I would have supported it if the team decided to go in a different direction, but they didn't and I'm okay with that, too. I will be supporting the team and cheering for Coach Ty to do better next year. I hope everyone else here will try and be constructive, despite whatever misgivings each of us have regarding this decision. Don't be like Calg and hold a grudge for years and years against Sloan and the FO, just because decisions they make don't go your way. That can only lead to a lot of pain and frustration. Ask Calg, he'll tell ya!

Yikes!!! Cutting deep there TJKA, deep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin
avatar

Posts : 498
Points : 617
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:17 pm

thejazzkickazz wrote:
It's like the couple of months after a presidential election, and your guy didn't win. You have two choices, either support the guy who won and root for him to be successful, or be bitter and constantly find ways to undercut him. I didn't agree with everything Coach Ty did this season, and I would have supported it if the team decided to go in a different direction, but they didn't and I'm okay with that, too. I will be supporting the team and cheering for Coach Ty to do better next year. I hope everyone else here will try and be constructive, despite whatever misgivings each of us have regarding this decision. Don't be like Calg and hold a grudge for years and years against Sloan and the FO, just because decisions they make don't go your way. That can only lead to a lot of pain and frustration. Ask Calg, he'll tell ya!

Repped for reading my mind...ish. I've been wanting to post something similar all day.
Look guys, I am probably Corbin's biggest critic. (Ok, maybe Mu is a bigger critic Very Happy) I have called for his head all season. I wanted him fired mid-season. I wanted him fired with 14 games left. I was disappointed to hear Lindsey voice support for him.
I'm not coming out in support of the guy. If they announced tomorrow he was being fired, I would rejoice. However....
....he really did (seem to) rally the team the last 12-14 games when we all had basically given up hope, and most teams probably would have too.
....he really did have a difficult situation with 8-9 free agents.
....he really did have a difficult problem of "too many" good bigs, etc.
....his record did improve from last year.
....he showed signs (although small ones, and slowly) of making rotation changes...ish.
....Dennis Lindsey did say they would have some tough conversations with TyCo next week.

I'm not making excuses for him, and I still don't like him as our coach. However, he will be here next year....so I (for now) am going to ease up my criticisms (a little), look for positives, and hope against hope that he improves and figures it out next year. If he doesn't, then I'm back on the fire TyCo bandwagon.....the bandwagon I've never fully left in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollificus
All Star
avatar

Posts : 553
Points : 684
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 97
Location : Sugarhouse

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Article today in the paper (I think it was the Trib-the one Brad Rock writes for, anyway) they mentioned "...the Twitter movement #FireTyCorbin and other online petitions" (possibly including the change.org one) as things Lindsey wouldn't respond to. But he was, apparently, aware of them.

Mostly, what I'm hearing from the team, post-season, is a bunch of pablum and PR hooey. Which is all we ever get, I suppose.

Also, hard-hitting critical analysis from the team-paid announcers.

Boler: "Watson and Tinsley? Well, Father Time is creeping up on the backup point guards...."

"creeping up"? "CREEPING UP"????? Father Time done run over those guys, mashed 'em flat, shot 'em, strangled 'em and had sex with the corpses. Not to put it too strongly. Great guys, both of 'em, but they done been crept up on already Boler.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollificus
All Star
avatar

Posts : 553
Points : 684
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 97
Location : Sugarhouse

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:50 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
thejazzkickazz wrote:
It's like the couple of months after a presidential election, and your guy didn't win. You have two choices, either support the guy who won and root for him to be successful, or be bitter and constantly find ways to undercut him. I didn't agree with everything Coach Ty did this season, and I would have supported it if the team decided to go in a different direction, but they didn't and I'm okay with that, too. I will be supporting the team and cheering for Coach Ty to do better next year. I hope everyone else here will try and be constructive, despite whatever misgivings each of us have regarding this decision. Don't be like Calg and hold a grudge for years and years against Sloan and the FO, just because decisions they make don't go your way. That can only lead to a lot of pain and frustration. Ask Calg, he'll tell ya!

Repped for reading my mind...ish. I've been wanting to post something similar all day.
Look guys, I am probably Corbin's biggest critic. (Ok, maybe Mu is a bigger critic Very Happy) I have called for his head all season. I wanted him fired mid-season. I wanted him fired with 14 games left. I was disappointed to hear Lindsey voice support for him.
I'm not coming out in support of the guy. If they announced tomorrow he was being fired, I would rejoice. However....
....he really did (seem to) rally the team the last 12-14 games when we all had basically given up hope, and most teams probably would have too.
....he really did have a difficult situation with 8-9 free agents.
....he really did have a difficult problem of "too many" good bigs, etc.
....his record did improve from last year.
....he showed signs (although small ones, and slowly) of making rotation changes...ish.
....Dennis Lindsey did say they would have some tough conversations with TyCo next week.

I'm not making excuses for him, and I still don't like him as our coach. However, he will be here next year....so I (for now) am going to ease up my criticisms (a little), look for positives, and hope against hope that he improves and figures it out next year. If he doesn't, then I'm back on the fire TyCo bandwagon.....the bandwagon I've never fully left in the first place.

VoR, jka...you're truth tellin' there. I just don't like to give up on a hysterical overreaction till all the verbal land mines have been tripped and all the critical bazookas have been fired (I really should have created a Fire Corbin post for the "Hysterical Overreaction" thread...not a nice one like we've been posting but a harsh over-the-top one... Twisted Evil).

*sigh* But I guess we're there.

For all that I think Ty coulda shoulda done better, those are all good and valid points VoR. I'm still not sure he's the kind of "font of basketball knowledge" coach our younger guys might need, but I guess that's what assistants are for. I just hope he gets better. Xs and Os, game situations, offensive and defensive schemes, player rotations, etc., etc.

Still. I heard ex-assistant coach Johnson kind of defending Corbin playing Al Ball so much and criticizing Favors and Kanter ("His offensive game has a long way to go...", "His court awareness needs big improvement...."), but his criticisms were all for things that CANNOT IMPROVE OUTSIDE OF REAL GAME EXPERIENCE, i.e.: MINUTES. Kind of a self-rationalizing excuse: If they don't improve we have to play Al. If we play Al they won't improve. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thejazzkickazz
6th man


Posts : 126
Points : 158
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Speaking of ex-assistant coach Phil Johnson, Ty Corbin should seriously, SERIOUSLY consider hiring him as an assistant coach for next season. Coach Ty really didn't have that kind of veteran coaching presence on his bench this season, and it kinda showed. He could really, REALLY use Phil Johnson sitting next to him this season as a mentor and stabilizing force for the team on the court.

I really hope someone thinks about this before the next season starts. Phil needs to be on that bench!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Change.org Fire Coach T   

Back to top Go down
 
Change.org Fire Coach T
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Montreal Canadiens fire Coach Guy Carbonneau
» fired coach
» How to fire your coach - David Oliver splits with Brooks Johnson
» Pickering Coach pays Heavy Price
» UK Head Coach blasts UK

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Utah Jazz Nation :: The Utah Jazz-
Jump to: