The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

2013 draft

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:25 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
I know a lot of folks are on the Dennis Schroder bandwagon, but I am starting to lean more and more towards Shane Larkin.
Don't get me wrong, I don't know that I would be mad if they took Schroder, but Larkin is looking better and better to me.

I just think MCW will be gone. I know he has some flaws, but I think he is more nba ready than Larkin or Schroder. Burke is out of the question, because he will be gone.

I'm with you VoR. Both seem like good options, but Larkin is peaking my interest. I also agree about MCW. From what I've read, his stock is rising & teams seem to be very intrigued with his combo of size & ability. I would be shocked if he were still there at #14. If the Jazz want him or Burke (who seems to be slipping a bit), they will have to make a move up the board IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
The Voice of Reason
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:51 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
I know a lot of folks are on the Dennis Schroder bandwagon, but I am starting to lean more and more towards Shane Larkin.
Don't get me wrong, I don't know that I would be mad if they took Schroder, but Larkin is looking better and better to me.

I just think MCW will be gone. I know he has some flaws, but I think he is more nba ready than Larkin or Schroder. Burke is out of the question, because he will be gone.

I'm with you VoR. Both seem like good options, but Larkin is peaking my interest. I also agree about MCW. From what I've read, his stock is rising & teams seem to be very intrigued with his combo of size & ability. I would be shocked if he were still there at #14. If the Jazz want him or Burke (who seems to be slipping a bit), they will have to make a move up the board IMO.

I'm starting to feel like...I believe it was Troll? who said maybe the thing to do is grab a combination of whoever we can from the pg pool with both the 14 AND 21 picks. Schroder, MCW, McCollum, Larkin, Burke.....if we could somehow snag two of them...happy day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:06 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

I'm starting to feel like...I believe it was Troll? who said maybe the thing to do is grab a combination of whoever we can from the pg pool with both the 14 AND 21 picks. Schroder, MCW, McCollum, Larkin, Burke.....if we could somehow snag two of them...happy day.

Me me me, all day. I'd love to get Larkin and Schroeder. Since chances are pretty good that at least one will be a very good starting quality PG. I also feel like bigs are easier to find. And funny, but I'm actually glad that MCW is getting rave reviews. Out of all the PG's he seems to be the one that actually had a fault already, where as the others supposedly dont.

Though now that Zeller has been worked out, I find myself really excited at the thought of adding him as our 3rd big. Moving up to get him somehow, and ending up with Larkin or Schroeder would be a phenomenal draft.

I'm assuming Schroeder is in the states and will be worked out, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Me me me, all day. I'd love to get Larkin and Schroeder. Since chances are pretty good that at least one will be a very good starting quality PG. I also feel like bigs are easier to find. And funny, but I'm actually glad that MCW is getting rave reviews. Out of all the PG's he seems to be the one that actually had a fault already, where as the others supposedly dont.

Though now that Zeller has been worked out, I find myself really excited at the thought of adding him as our 3rd big. Moving up to get him somehow, and ending up with Larkin or Schroeder would be a phenomenal draft.

I'm assuming Schroeder is in the states and will be worked out, right?

Yes. I read that he is only working out for 4 teams...Milwuakee, Boston, Dallas and Utah. Has already worked out for first three.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Reeeeeally. Remember where you read about that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

http://journaltimes.com/sports/basketball/bucks-beat-schr-der-has-eyes-on-first-round/article_2793aa84-ccd3-11e2-af77-001a4bcf887a.html

I guess it does say he worked out with Houston too....even though they don't have a first round pick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 am

Mutangclan wrote:

http://journaltimes.com/sports/basketball/bucks-beat-schr-der-has-eyes-on-first-round/article_2793aa84-ccd3-11e2-af77-001a4bcf887a.html

I guess it does say he worked out with Houston too....even though they don't have a first round pick.

When he was asked what teams he'd like to play for at the draft combine Utah was the first team out of his mouth.

The Jazz have done a lot of foreign scouting this season, and I think Schroeder has caught their eye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

When he was asked what teams he'd like to play for at the draft combine Utah was the first team out of his mouth.

The Jazz have done a lot of foreign scouting this season, and I think Schroeder has caught their eye.

Well I hope so, Im feeling good about him.

And not that I put all this weight into these guessers and their Mock drafts, but when I see Olynyk at 14 it's pretty frustrating. We have a starting PG role to fill, and our first pick is going to be for our 3rd big? That seems silly. Hopefully the thought process is our highest pick to be a possible starter, not bench player.

Oh and how about this little nugget:

Jazz General Manager Dennis Lindsey, "I feel really good about where we’re at in 14, 21, 46. We have the ability to move up if we want to move up, which is unusual at this date. And there’s very good reasons why we may stand pat and just select the three."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:02 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:

Jazz could be wanting teams to think they're moving up and have a in? Other teams may think Hey we can trade with jazz if we want to move back and get another pick or player this year? Just smoke to see whats out there? I mean come on when has the jazz ever shown there hand on who they really wanted before? My money says they say where there at unless they get bites with Tomic in the deal to move up for a higher pick.

I still wonder if Tomic couldn't be brought over this summer, it would be a perfect time to give it a try, but I think he's on contract in europe for at least one more year.

Anybody know what the status of his current contract is? If he has a reasonable buyout option?

I don't think Tomic will ever play for the Jazz but maybe they can find a trade partner for him, these 2 links talk about where he is at with his contract and all.

http://www.utahjazz360.com/astralmage/anti-tomic-the-extra-trade-bait-needed-to-move-up/

http://www.utahjazz360.com/astralmage/where-is-ante-tomic/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Looks like Larkin was impressive in his workout with the Jazz yesterday.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865581196/Utah-Jazz-examine-point-guards-in-third-pre-draft-work-out.html

David Locke also said that he impressed a lot of people in the Jazz organization with his workout.

The Jazz have 6 more players in town today. Marquette guard Vander Blue, Baylor guard Pierre Jackson, Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe, Arizona forward Solomon Hill, Georgia Tech guard Glen Rice Jr., and Uiversity of Utah Center Jason Washburn.

Jack Cooley out of Notre Dame was supposed to be in that group, but he had to move to tomorrow and was replaced by Washburn.

Dennis Schroeder comes to town tomorrow for his workout.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Holy Shi! I was about to respond, but game one of the finals is just starting-- and they're playing the bass riff from a White Stripes' song in the intro. I've gotta go. I'll make a better post later!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:41 am

Saint Louis wrote:
Holy Shi! I was about to respond, but game one of the finals is just starting-- and they're playing the bass riff from a White Stripes' song in the intro. I've gotta go. I'll make a better post later!

haha, dang, missed the first few minutes. That bass riff woulda got me too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:45 pm

I've decided, I think Utah is letting it leak out that they're impressed by Larkin. All so that they can actually go get the one they really want, Schroder. And I think thats who I really want. If you look at him, he has the exact same body as Rondo, which is a huge asset. The kid actually looks like Rondo with a jumper. I'm liking him a LOT for our pick at 14 and to form that pick and roll lethal combo with Fav.

Here's a good video of him, all highlights, but still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdKrHY50uvE

Also, I really like how the Jazz are and usually do their workouts. Dying to know what the workouts are looking like because they have Schroeder in there today and going up against Peyton Siva who I was VERY impressed by in the Championship earlier this year. I liked that kid, and wouldn't mind him as a late pick either.
Siva's a senior, Schroeder is young and all foreign experience, perfect. Really good way to see what you've got him both of them. I see alot of comparisons in Siva and Larkin actually.
But dying to know how it's going! Ugh.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
I've decided, I think Utah is letting it leak out that they're impressed by Larkin. All so that they can actually go get the one they really want, Schroder. And I think thats who I really want. If you look at him, he has the exact same body as Rondo, which is a huge asset. The kid actually looks like Rondo with a jumper. I'm liking him a LOT for our pick at 14 and to form that pick and roll lethal combo with Fav.

Pretty good stuff there and so where some of the highlights of the other PG's in this draft class, I liked what I seen of Larkin in those highlights but I think that Schroder is more NBA ready right now his game is a lot more rounded at this stage IMO anyway. I know it is just highlights but watching Schorder driving to the basket to me he was looking to finish more so than Larkin who to me was looking more to pass when driving to the basket. I have to say that Larkin I think showed himself well with his ability to hit from deep along with his quickness and his passing ability I think he is going to be a nice player at this level.

I am not so sure that Larkin will be on the board at 21 but if he is and there is not a quality big I think the Jazz has to take him but if there is a big like a Steven Adams, Kelly Olynyk, Rudy Gobert or Mason Plumlee the Jazz has to take a good long look at them, from what I have seen there are a few more good PG's in this draft than there are big's so if there is a big the like's of one of the guys I named the Jazz might be best off grabbing one.

With all of that said with a player like Schroder as a starting PG and a player like Larkin coming off of the bench that would be one hell of a 1-2 punch without a doubt and would go a long ways into helping the Jazz take that next step in becoming a real contender.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:31 pm

dongibby wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Pretty good stuff there and so where some of the highlights of the other PG's in this draft class, I liked what I seen of Larkin in those highlights but I think that Schroder is more NBA ready right now his game is a lot more rounded at this stage IMO anyway. I know it is just highlights but watching Schorder driving to the basket to me he was looking to finish more so than Larkin who to me was looking more to pass when driving to the basket. I have to say that Larkin I think showed himself well with his ability to hit from deep along with his quickness and his passing ability I think he is going to be a nice player at this level.

I am not so sure that Larkin will be on the board at 21 but if he is and there is not a quality big I think the Jazz has to take him but if there is a big like a Steven Adams, Kelly Olynyk, Rudy Gobert or Mason Plumlee the Jazz has to take a good long look at them, from what I have seen there are a few more good PG's in this draft than there are big's so if there is a big the like's of one of the guys I named the Jazz might be best off grabbing one.

With all of that said with a player like Schroder as a starting PG and a player like Larkin coming off of the bench that would be one hell of a 1-2 punch without a doubt and would go a long ways into helping the Jazz take that next step in becoming a real contender.

The jazz brought in some bigs to play against Larkin to see how he would do and from the sound of things it was very good. The D was the thing that scared me the most but it sounds like he's come a long ways since last year. You can see his body has change over just one year. His first year had he came out in the draft nobody would've gave him a second look. His scores at combine blew some minds and i think he might be looking at going before the jazz 14th pick now. I keep thinking if the Mavs keep there pick Dennis will be gone at 13. Right now i'm a coin flip on which PG to take. I think both will be very good. Larkin reminds me of Curry when shooting, but has better court vision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:31 pm

I like both Larkin and Schroder and would be happy with either at #14.

After listening to an interview with Dennis today, and hearing some other info on sports radio, it sounds like Schroder may have a lottery promise from a team, which is speculated to be Dallas (#13). To help fuel that speculation, he was caught saying "when the team drafts me" in reference to Dallas in a recent interview. Although an "expert" pointed out that it may have been a language issue and he meant to say "if" instead of "when".
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

After listening to an interview with Dennis today, and hearing some other info on sports radio, it sounds like Schroder may have a lottery promise from a team, which is speculated to be Dallas (#13). To help fuel that speculation, he was caught saying "when the team drafts me" in reference to Dallas in a recent interview. Although an "expert" pointed out that it may have been a language issue and he meant to say "if" instead of "when".

Schroeder did the exact same thing when asked today about playing for the Jazz, and I wondered if he was letting the cat out of the bag on his promise, but it sounds like it's just a language thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

If Mavs move the pick for room (D12) then Dennis will most likely be a jazz man. Would love to know what way they're leaning? Or if they're moving up? Sounds like some teams are allready to move back this year. But is it really worth it? If we move Tomic he may think twice about coming to the states? Tomic to the mavs might be good for both teams if they're thinking D12 and cp3 Maybe a Paulsap sign trade for Marion to cut more cost for better player? Gives us 13 14 21 46 picks that may add up to a move up in draft pick. 14 @ 21 to suns for their 6th pick? Burke and Dennis at pg next year? Gives us both 5th and 13th picks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:57 am

I'm hearing that German point guard Dennis Schroeder struggled in his workouts in Milwaukee and Houston. Schroeder, according to team sources, struggled to keep up with the defensive intensity in workouts. He works out again Friday in Utah. Schroeder rode a dominant performance at the Hoop Summit into the top 30, but if he doesn't start playing better, he could be in for an equally significant decline. ESPN.com

I also have read in a couple places that Milwaukee really likes Larkin and may have promised him the #16 pick, which would kill any chances of Utah picking him at #21.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:15 am

zero24gravity wrote:
I'm hearing that German point guard Dennis Schroeder struggled in his workouts in Milwaukee and Houston. Schroeder, according to team sources, struggled to keep up with the defensive intensity in workouts. He works out again Friday in Utah. Schroeder rode a dominant performance at the Hoop Summit into the top 30, but if he doesn't start playing better, he could be in for an equally significant decline. ESPN.com

I also have read in a couple places that Milwaukee really likes Larkin and may have promised him the #16 pick, which would kill any chances of Utah picking him at #21.

If the jazz let him slide that far. I can't see why the jazz would get locked into one player before they see all thats out there at 14th or higher if yea know what i mean. Wink I bet jazz would love to score the best PG in the draft and some how keep their picks?
Is Burke that much better than a couple other Points in draft? Larkin shoots quick when getting the ball off like Curry or move up to get a player Burke alot like CP3? I've not been as sold on MCW i wonder why the jazz has not worked him out yet? Think about it a sec? lot of board have him going only one spot in front of the jazz?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Richardale wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

If the jazz let him slide that far. I can't see why the jazz would get locked into one player before they see all thats out there at 14th or higher if yea know what i mean. Wink I bet jazz would love to score the best PG in the draft and some how keep their picks?
Is Burke that much better than a couple other Points in draft? Larkin shoots quick when getting the ball off like Curry or move up to get a player Burke alot like CP3? I've not been as sold on MCW i wonder why the jazz has not worked him out yet? Think about it a sec? lot of board have him going only one spot in front of the jazz?

I bet Utah still brings him in, but like you Richard I'm not that high on him. I think people drool over his height for a PG, but for his size I dont think the guy is that good of a scorer/shooter. So for me, I like DS and Larkin better.

http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

Though........getting MCW and Larkin??? Really like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
outerspacefan
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:36 pm

Right now the only thing I know for sure is I don't like at all the idea of a 5-11 guard being the center of what the Jazz get from this draft. I would prefer them to pack and trade the picks if they can, looking to grab assets for next year draft.

This is not a very good draft class by any means, but in the middle of the pack or with the right trade you can get very good value.

Players I like, nor order intended (not that it matters a darn thing clown ):
Burke
McLemore
Len
MCW
Schroeder
Caldwell-Pope
Deng
Mitchell
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:15 pm

It’s no secret that the Utah Jazz will be looking for a point guard to draft in 3 weeks and they will have their options barring a mass exodus of points in the first 13 picks. Teams possibly looking for a point guard will be Orlando, Pelicans, Kings, Pistons and Mavericks. My guess is that Orlando will not take Burks at 2 which will lead him to fall to at least the Pelicans at 6. However, I still don’t understand why the Pelicans would draft a point guard when Greivas Vasquez did a great job this past year.
This leads me to believe that Burks falls to 7 to the Kings. The Pistons will then take CJ McCollum and the Mavericks will take Michael Carter-Williams. Then the Jazz are on the clock and they will decide between Shane Larkin from Miami and Dennis Schroeder from Germany.
Shane Larkin is 5’11″ and weighs 176 lbs which could deter a lot of teams from drafting him. His 44″ vertical leap should help subdue some of those concerns. Larkin is the son of Hall of Fame shortstop Barry Larkin. He is a great passer and can get to the hoop almost at will. He struggles a little on the defensive side but won’t be as bad as Mo Williams or Devin Harris on that end of the floor. He is a great guy that has his head on straight. He will bring it every night and will be a team player that will do whatever he can to help the team win. He averaged 14.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists while shooting 47% from the field this past season.
Dennis Schroeder is 6’1″ and 180 lbs and his ridiculous wingspan of 6’8″ is comparable to Rondo. Dennis has really come into his own this past year as he wowed fans and scouts at the Nike Hoop Summit. He has a little bit of an attitude and could cause problems in a locker room. His ceiling his really high which will be very attractive to teams drafting in the 13-16 range and could be selected solely on potential. He is very quick and can really see the floor well. He can shoot really well but like most Europeans struggles on the defensive end immensely. He averaged 12 points and 3.1 assists in just 24 minutes of play.

This will be a very hard call to make if both guys are still on the board when the Jazz draft but my guess is the Jazz will draft Larkin because he is a guy that will get along with his teammates and help the community.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:16 am

The Jazz are bringing in CJ McCollum for a workout.  That is a huge get.  Convincing a consensus top 10 player (and his agent) to work out for a team not picking in the top 10 is not an easy task.  Tells me the Jazz must be making convincing arguments that they are thinking about moving up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 am

TheMagnus wrote:
The Jazz are bringing in CJ McCollum for a workout.  That is a huge get.  Convincing a consensus top 10 player (and his agent) to work out for a team not picking in the top 10 is not an easy task.  Tells me the Jazz must be making convincing arguments that they are thinking about moving up.

Jazz are one of those teams with a good chance to move up if they see a guy they really like because they have two picks that would be perfect for this years draft. Two first round picks will move you up this year unlike years past. Top five teams in draft has made it clear already they would like to move down. Rumors are gonna heat up a couple days before draft goes down. Should be fun to see where teams goes with there picks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   

Back to top Go down

2013 draft
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next