The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

2013 draft

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:52 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
The Jazz are bringing in CJ McCollum for a workout.  That is a huge get.  Convincing a consensus top 10 player (and his agent) to work out for a team not picking in the top 10 is not an easy task.  Tells me the Jazz must be making convincing arguments that they are thinking about moving up.
That is awesome news. This guy is coming out of college exactly as Seth Curry, minus injury history. Small school, big time scorer, PG/SG in college. 
Would be a sweet get...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollificus
All Star

PostSubject: LARKIN FOR PRESIDENT...err...PG!!   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Richardale wrote:
Richardale wrote:
It’s no secret that the Utah Jazz will be looking for a point guard to draft in 3 weeks and they will have their options barring a mass exodus of points in the first 13 picks.  Teams possibly looking for a point guard will be Orlando, Pelicans, Kings, Pistons and Mavericks.  My guess is that Orlando will not take Burks at 2 which will lead him to fall to at least the Pelicans at 6.  However, I still don’t understand why the Pelicans would draft a point guard when Greivas Vasquez did a great job this past year.
This leads me to believe that Burks falls to 7 to the Kings.  The Pistons will then take CJ McCollum and the Mavericks will take Michael Carter-Williams.  Then the Jazz are on the clock and they will decide between Shane Larkin from Miami and Dennis Schroeder from Germany.
Shane Larkin is 5’11″ and weighs 176 lbs which could deter a lot of teams from drafting him.  His 44″ vertical leap should help subdue some of those concerns.  Larkin is the son of Hall of Fame shortstop Barry Larkin.  He is a great passer and can get to the hoop almost at will.  He struggles a little on the defensive side but won’t be as bad as Mo Williams or Devin Harris on that end of the floor. He is a great guy that has his head on straight.  He will bring it every night and will be a team player that will do whatever he can to help the team win.  He averaged 14.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists while shooting 47% from the field this past season.
Dennis Schroeder is 6’1″ and 180 lbs and his ridiculous wingspan of 6’8″ is comparable to Rondo.  Dennis has really come into his own this past year as he wowed fans and scouts at the Nike Hoop Summit.  He has a little bit of an attitude and could cause problems in a locker room.  His ceiling his really high which will be very attractive to teams drafting in the 13-16 range and could be selected solely on potential.  He is very quick and can really see the floor well.  He can shoot really well but like most Europeans struggles on the defensive end immensely.  He averaged 12 points and 3.1 assists in just 24 minutes of play.

This will be a very hard call to make if both guys are still on the board when the Jazz draft but my guess is the Jazz will draft Larkin because he is a guy that will get along with his teammates and help the community.

Yes, Richard, didn't we already read all that here?

Look, Larkin tested out as the best athlete at the combine, also comes across as one of the most intelligent, mature and professional kids available as well. Also might be the best shooter, certainly among the PGs, in this draft.

As for defense, all he has to do is stay in front of his man and pester him...if he can stay with other PGs, speed-wise, that's enough to make him a plus defender at the position. There are very few PGs in the league who play standpout defense.

That said, Schroeder just might be one of them someday soon. Intriguing asset to have, and a great consolation prize, if he drops to 14.

But I'm sold on Larkin for the Jazz, not sure if both he and DS will be there at 14 anyway. I like both these guys more than MC-W or Burke, who does NOT possess plus quickness or speed. I just hope reputation prevails and those guys go in the top 13.

Also don't favor giving anything up to move up, unless it would be giving up Tomic' rights to Dallas, but for an extra pick, not to move up. This is such a sucky draft I want us to come out with a big and maybe 2 PGs.

Do not want: Olynyk, Gorbet

Want: Len, Adams, Plumlee, Zeller. These guys are actually kind of non-stiff, non-slow, somewhat athletic BWSs, and we need some o' that. I'd be sad not to get two PGs, but if any of these guys fall to 21, or if it becomes glaringly obvious that either Larkin or DS will still be there 6 picks later at 21, I guess we might go for one of them.

I'm thinking the whole "weak draft" meme is because there aren't elite "superstar" quality SCORERS at the top of the board, but plenty of value at PG and (non-scoring) C positions. And that's where the Jazz should strike. Scoring can be bought. Plenty of scorers in this league...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollificus
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Also favor Larkin because that "Basketball IQ" thing is synergistic and exponential. In other words, I think he'd fit well with Hayward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:50 am

I like Larkin, but could care less about his supposed elite athleticism. I much prefer all the other things he does well, and the athleticism is just a bonus. I'm split on he and Schroeder and at this point I'd be excited about both.

On the other hand, Zeller set some records for his leaps etc at the combine, and as a 6'11 guy I do love  that athleticism to go along with all his other skills. Moving up to grab him would be exciting I think, even though he'd be a bench guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm

I can understand not wanting Olynyk but Gorbet is another story from everything I have seen of him in videos he is far from being a  stiff or slow and is an athletic guy, I remember people saying the same things about Hibbert when he was in the draft and we know how he has turned out. I think there is a place on team's for big's that can defend the basket and make it hard to score in the paint and I think Gorbet could be one of those type of players sooner rather than later. What was his wingspan 7'9 something like that the guy is long and I think that is going to make him a have a very big present in the paint and that is just what the Jazz needs from one of their big's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:56 pm

dongibby wrote:
I can understand not wanting Olynyk but Gorbet is another story from everything I have seen of him in videos he is far from being a  stiff or slow and is an athletic guy, I remember people saying the same things about Hibbert when he was in the draft and we know how he has turned out. I think there is a place on team's for big's that can defend the basket and make it hard to score in the paint and I think Gorbet could be one of those type of players sooner rather than later. What was his wingspan 7'9 something like that the guy is long and I think that is going to make him a have a very big present in the paint and that is just what the Jazz needs from one of their big's.

If you look at JE who can block a shoot ten feet away and still cant see time on the floor Gorbet not likely to see much time either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
The Jazz are bringing in CJ McCollum for a workout.  That is a huge get.  Convincing a consensus top 10 player (and his agent) to work out for a team not picking in the top 10 is not an easy task.  Tells me the Jazz must be making convincing arguments that they are thinking about moving up.

That is awesome news. This guy is coming out of college exactly as Seth Curry, minus injury history. Small school, big time scorer, PG/SG in college. 
Would be a sweet get...

I would really like to see the Jazz move up in the draft to pick this kid up, I think he is the guy the Jazz are looking for to run the PG position and it sounds like he wants to be a part of this team. Let's make it happen Jazz Management this is your guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Richardale wrote:
dongibby wrote:

If you look at JE who can block a shoot ten feet away and still cant see time on the floor Gorbet not likely to see much time either.

I am not so sure that any player that' s drafted by the Jazz is going to see major playing time to start this season off, other than a guy like a McCollum or Burke (who I think can step right in and play at a high level) they are going to have to prove that they can in fact run the team before they get the job handed to them and that is the way it should be. Gorbet would be coming off of the bench and would be getting playing time behind both Favors and Kanter, if he is the only back up then Corbin will not have any other choice but to give him playing time. Even if they sign another big a 3 man rotation is not going to get the job done so I really do think that Gorbet is going to get playing time one way or the other if he is drafted by the Jazz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Would be a sweet get...

Sounds like CJ Mc. has had a foot injury that hurt his draft and has a hard time running and D up on the pick and roll. Not sure we want another Burks combo gaurd playing our point and if so we have Burks? I'm thinking the jazz may be hopimg he falls without trading up to get him? Not a player i give up both our first round picks for! He should be going around 8 to 12 in draft.

[url=http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=Babylon&hsimp=yhs-002&type=br101dm25&p=nba mock draft]http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=Babylon&hsimp=yhs-002&type=br101dm25&p=nba%20mock%20draft[/url]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Richardale wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Would be a sweet get...

Sounds like CJ Mc. has had a foot injury that hurt his draft and has a hard time running and D up on the pick and roll. Not sure we want another Burks combo gaurd playing our point and if so we have Burks? I'm thinking the jazz may be hopimg he falls without trading up to get him? Not a player i give up both our first round picks for! He should be going around 8 to 12 in draft.

Agreed.  I don't think you reach for this guy with Larkin and Schroeder in the mix at #14.  If they do, however, I won't second guess the decision because that simply means they saw very much more tangible upside in him than out of the other picks making it worth it.  Pretty clear the Jazz are going to get a good PG prospect out of this draft which happens to be fat with them.  Do that and a decent big, call it a good day and lets move on to FA, D-league and unsigned minings and trades to pimp the roster of the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Richardale wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Would be a sweet get...

Agreed.  I don't think you reach for this guy with Larkin and Schroeder in the mix at #14.  If they do, however, I won't second guess the decision because that simply means they saw very much more tangible upside in him than out of the other picks making it worth it.  Pretty clear the Jazz are going to get a good PG prospect out of this draft which happens to be fat with them.  Do that and a decent big, call it a good day and lets move on to FA, D-league and unsigned minings and trades to pimp the roster of the future.

If we trade up we should be looking at least in the top 3 Maybe Magic and take back a bad contract while doing it and keep our 21st pick. might need to give them our second round pick? Not to sure how the numbers work out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:05 pm

McCollum has been a top 10 lotto pick this entire time. Not sure about an injury, but if Utah can snag him and all signs point to him being just fine eventually, then this would be a massive massive draft for them. Minnesota, Kings, Detroit, and others have all been wanting him, and the kid is an awesome prospect. Also thinks he'd be a great fit in Utah???? Wow, they movin to get the kid....??? Other thing, is does this team have it's leading scorer, go-to type guy?? Not sure we do. I think right now we have 4 really good Pippens, and just need our leading scorer. Insert McCollum. Kinda like Golden State with Curry. Hayward would be the Klay Thompson etc. 

I think the PG prospects in order of talent are Burke, McCollum and then a tie with MCW/Larkin/Schroeder, with Schroeder probably the rawest but most potential out of those last 3. Very exciting PG stuff going on with our Jazz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:50 am

Mutangclan wrote:
McCollum has been a top 10 lotto pick this entire time. Not sure about an injury, but if Utah can snag him and all signs point to him being just fine eventually, then this would be a massive massive draft for them. Minnesota, Kings, Detroit, and others have all been wanting him, and the kid is an awesome prospect. Also thinks he'd be a great fit in Utah???? Wow, they movin to get the kid....??? Other thing, is does this team have it's leading scorer, go-to type guy?? Not sure we do. I think right now we have 4 really good Pippens, and just need our leading scorer. Insert McCollum. Kinda like Golden State with Curry. Hayward would be the Klay Thompson etc. 

I think the PG prospects in order of talent are Burke, McCollum and then a tie with MCW/Larkin/Schroeder, with Schroeder probably the rawest but most potential out of those last 3. Very exciting PG stuff going on with our Jazz.

A lot of people have McCollum ahead of Burke in this draft and are saying that he is looking like a Curry type of player who can step right in and be a starting PG in the NBA. This guy is a dead eye shot for sure and from what I have seen so far he is in fact the best shooter in the draft by a long shot. I really think if the Jazz has a shot at trading up to get him then they jump on it as fast as they can. 

He was injured last season and missed a big chunk of time because of it but if he was not injured I think people would be looking at him like a top 3 pick in this draft I really do. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:23 pm

One question on McCollum is his injury, is it going to be a chronic thing like Borchardt or a one time thing like Jordan's, anybody know his history?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   

Back to top Go down

2013 draft
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7