The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

2013 draft

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 10, 2013 6:27 pm

The Jazz are kicking off their workouts tomorrow...

Quote :

The team will hold its first pre-draft workout Saturday with six players, including four guards and two big men.

The invitees include: 6-6 guard/forward James Ennis, Long Beach State; 6-1 guard Myck Kabongo, Texas; 6-9 forward Jamelle Hagins, Delaware; 7-foot center Colton Iverson, Colorado State; 6-5 guard Michael Snaer, Florida State; and 6-4 guard Nate Wolters, South Dakota State.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865579794/Utah-Jazz-to-host-first-pre-draft-workout-with-four-guards-two-bigs.html

A lot of Jazz fans really interested in Kabongo, and Wolters is a baller, I saw him in the tournament and he was very solid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 10, 2013 6:37 pm

just found this new mock draft having larkin as high as 14th.
Kid they have us at 21 is the next Magic J.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sun May 12, 2013 1:30 am

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Nike summit game is now available to watch online, have a look. I like the kid. His defensive speed and lateral quickness is of the charts. Only 19 year old, not sure he would contribute in NBA right away, but you can't deny star potential. Other player came to mind watching him - Rondo. I would be totally fine with Jazz taking him and letting him play from the get go. Why not, next season should not be about filling gaps with veterans and trying to make playoffs. Just let all kids play and develop through growing pains.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtrJ3kWJVz0&feature=player_embedded#!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtrJ3kWJVz0&feature=player_embedded#![/quote[/url]]

Didn't see this thread and posted the same about him. This years pg draft crop is interesting but has mostly potential guys. Hope the Jazz bring him in for a workout. Speed kills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drive"N"Kick
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sun May 12, 2013 11:51 am

I hope Burke falls a tiny bit so we can trade up to grab him, maybe using both picks or a sign and trade with one of our picks. He has all the tools besides elite athleticism to be an elite pg in the league. Despite what many think, you have to go all in to get superstar talent to compete for a championship. Especially being a small market, we need superstars to minimize how much the refs screw us.
The other route we could go is grabbing a bunch of elite defenders and go the route of Memphis or Indiana, but they have at least one superstar. Aka Marc Gasol and Paul George. The jazz really need to have the motto of "if you don't play D, you don't play at all" because if you play D, you will win games, but if you have guys like Al Jeff then you are going to give the other team easy baskets every game and you have to hope that those players are hotter on O than they are cold on D. And that's no way to root for a team.
I would rather watch slow grinded out games than high scoring bad D playing games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drive"N"Kick
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sun May 12, 2013 11:53 am

I hope Burke falls a tiny bit so we can trade up to grab him, maybe using both picks or a sign and trade with one of our picks. He has all the tools besides elite athleticism to be an elite pg in the league. Despite what many think, you have to go all in to get superstar talent to compete for a championship. Especially being a small market, we need superstars to minimize how much the refs screw us.
The other route we could go is grabbing a bunch of elite defenders and go the route of Memphis or Indiana, but they have at least one superstar. Aka Marc Gasol and Paul George. The jazz really need to have the motto of "if you don't play D, you don't play at all" because if you play D, you will win games, but if you have guys like Al Jeff then you are going to give the other team easy baskets every game and you have to hope that those players are hotter on O than they are cold on D. And that's no way to root for a team.
I would rather watch slow grinded out games than high scoring bad D playing games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sun May 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Drive"N"Kick wrote:

Agree with you here Drive, on all counts. And I believe Burke is most likely going to be a star, he has all the tools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 pm

One of the guys that will be on the Jazz' draft board for the 1st round, Myck Kabongo, worked out with a few other 2nd round hopefulls.

"Utah does need a point guard. Everyone's aware of that," Texas guard Myck Kabongo said. "I'm just privileged to be here. I was excited to come out here to Utah."

None of the six players, mostly second-round mock picks, are household basketball names, although Kabongo was considered a potential lottery prospect when going to Texas out of Toronto. The 6-1 guard is hoping to join Serge Ibaka in making the NBA out of Congo, where he lived before relocating to Toronto with his family when he was 6 years old.

Asked about his NBA skills, Kabongo responded, "I love playing defense. Obviously, leadership. I feel like I'm a leader and just a guy who's going to bring it day in, day out."

"They have great young players. Alec Burks is great, and Hayward," the 21-year-old said. "They have a good cornerstone and two bigs — Enes Kanter. They have a great core. I'm very aware of what the team has. … I'm pretty young myself. I think I'd fit right in with them."

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 am

Everything I'm reading says that the Magic are locked into the idea of drafting Burke, and if they land #1 then they would even trade down a pick or two so they can take Burke & get something else as well.

I wonder what the Jazz think about targeting J.Nelson as a couple year stop gap PG, while they groom a young PG (from either this year or next's draft). Salary-wise, they could swap Nelson for Marvin straight-up. It would give the magic cap relief, since Marvin is in the last year of his deal & Jameer has a couple years on his deal. The Jazz might even be willing to throw in a pick.

I don't think it's the answer to the Jazz PG position, but a short term upgrade none-the-less, plus would free up all of Marv's PT for DeMarre, which would be selling point for resigning DMC.

I know this has been brought up before, but I revisit the thought since the more I read about the top of the draft, the more it sounds like Burke will land in ORL, which means Jameer's time in ORL is probably limited.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Tue May 14, 2013 3:36 pm

This article about Jazz draft prospect has some intrigue because, although it doesn't say so, it seems to only take into account the #21 pick & their second rounder, instead of focusing on the #14 pick.

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1504/0/A-closer-look-at-the-Utah-Jazz-2013-NBA-Draft-prospects.html
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Wed May 15, 2013 4:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaw0_zw9LGs Rumor has Danny A wanting this kid pretty bad. Next Magic? 6'9 play all five spots on floor. You want Rondo for Pg this is the best way to go about getting Rondo? Take on Paul P contract trade last two picks? Just putting it out there. Hell kid could be steal in the draft and teams 1 threw 13 will be kicking themself?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 am

I have been watching the draft combine this morning where they are working out the big's that's going to be in this year'a draft and I have to say there are going to be a lot of big's with talent in this draft. The 7'1 guy from France Rudy Gobert has a 7'9 wingspan they are saying that he is a project and will take some time to develop but when he does will be a force in the NBA. I am not saying that the Jazz should pick him with there first pick just saying that this draft is full of guys that could help them at the big positions.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gobert

The guy's that are talking about these players are saying that most of these big's will be going in the second round and I think the Jazz are going to have two second round picks (according to this site http://www.hoopsworld.com/draft-pick-debt ) so this could be a very good draft for the Jazz if this is true. It is going to interesting to see how everything works out in the end for the Jazz in this coming draft and what they do in the free agent market this summer, I am starting to look forward to seeing how it will all come out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 am

The first day of the Combine is in the books.

There's the measurements...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2013&source=NBA+Draft+Combine&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

Be interesting to see how the athletic testing goes.

By all accounts the two biggest winners were Centers Rudy Gobert (who is just enormous) and Stephen Adams. Especially Adams, who appears to have moved himself from the late first round into the top 10 in one day.

Among PG's, most of the top talent sat out the day (McCollum, Burke, Carter-Williams, Schroeder) but of the ones that ran reports say that Larkin and Canaan both had nice workouts, while Kobongo had a terrible day shooting.

This was the most interesting thing to come out fo the day for me....

Chad Ford wrote:

Finally, the draft combine wouldn't be the draft combine without talk of a player being "promised" to be taken by another team. Last year, Syracuse guard Dion Waiters grabbed the first promise of the draft season. This year it looks like two international players -- Germany's Dennis Schroeder and Greece's Giannis Antetokounmpo -- have been locked up. The "promise" happens when a team guarantees to a player and his agent that they will take him with their pick. The player, in turn agrees to either stop working out, or in the case of international players, to agree to stay in the draft and not withdraw before the deadline.

While sources did not pinpoint the teams who made the promise, they did say that Schroeder's promise was in the mid-first round while Antetokounmpo's promise was in the late first round. Both make sense.

Schroeder wowed at the Nike Hoops Summit last month and had generated a lot of buzz coming into the camp. A team fearing he might improve his stock even more at the combine might have decided to shut him down now before he rose out of their draft range. Several teams including the Boston Celtics and Utah Jazz are looking for point guards in that draft range.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9285282/2013-nba-draft-notes-day-1-draft-combine

Very easy to see the Jazz promising Schroeder that he wouldn't fall any further than 21, but I'm not sure that would have been enough for him to sit the combine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 17, 2013 9:49 am

For those who care about the local interest, I haven't heard any buzz so he must not have blown anybody away with his skill, but in measurements Brandon Davies came out very well, measuring 6'10" with a 7'1.5" wingspan and a 9'+ reach. That is legit size for an NBA power forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 am

TheMagnus wrote:
The first day of the Combine is in the books.

There's the measurements...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2013&source=NBA+Draft+Combine&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

Be interesting to see how the athletic testing goes.

By all accounts the two biggest winners were Centers Rudy Gobert (who is just enormous) and Stephen Adams. Especially Adams, who appears to have moved himself from the late first round into the top 10 in one day.

Among PG's, most of the top talent sat out the day (McCollum, Burke, Carter-Williams, Schroeder) but of the ones that ran reports say that Larkin and Canaan both had nice workouts, while Kobongo had a terrible day shooting.

Chad Ford wrote:

Finally, the draft combine wouldn't be the draft combine without talk of a player being "promised" to be taken by another team. Last year, Syracuse guard Dion Waiters grabbed the first promise of the draft season. This year it looks like two international players -- Germany's Dennis Schroeder and Greece's Giannis Antetokounmpo -- have been locked up. The "promise" happens when a team guarantees to a player and his agent that they will take him with their pick. The player, in turn agrees to either stop working out, or in the case of international players, to agree to stay in the draft and not withdraw before the deadline.

While sources did not pinpoint the teams who made the promise, they did say that Schroeder's promise was in the mid-first round while Antetokounmpo's promise was in the late first round. Both make sense.

Schroeder wowed at the Nike Hoops Summit last month and had generated a lot of buzz coming into the camp. A team fearing he might improve his stock even more at the combine might have decided to shut him down now before he rose out of their draft range. Several teams including the Boston Celtics and Utah Jazz are looking for point guards in that draft range.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9285282/2013-nba-draft-notes-day-1-draft-combine

Very easy to see the Jazz promising Schroeder that he wouldn't fall any further than 21, but I'm not sure that would have been enough for him to sit the combine.

I see Larkin body fat is the lowest at 3.8. That's crazy low. Not saying thats the kid i'd take at 21 but i'd take a good look at him and Dennis s. for that pick. I think giannis is going be a good player some day but not to sure about waiting 3 to 5 years to see what we get when he comes over? bottom line here is i trust KOC and Robin his sidekick to come up with whats best for the jazz. And its sad that we're looking foward to the draft and not a run for a championship. One good tank year and we'll be set for a few rings. Just not in the jazz DNA to tank!
Stop the press. kid with 3.3 fat. Felix Carrick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Isaiah Canaan has been turning some heads today. Loking great in the drills, and killing the athletic numbers with a 40 inch Vert. MCW also posted a 41" inch vert, while Oladipo and McLemore both put up 42". Some serious athletes in this draft class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 17, 2013 12:25 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Isaiah Canaan has been turning some heads today. Loking great in the drills, and killing the athletic numbers with a 40 inch Vert. MCW also posted a 41" inch vert, while Oladipo and McLemore both put up 42". Some serious athletes in this draft class.

...and I haven't even got to the best of them.

Shane Larkin just blew the place up with a ridiculous 44" max vert! That's the second highest at the NBA combine, EVER.

5 PG's had max verts over 40", that is just nuts, and Chad Ford just said that Larkin will probably test out as the most athletic player at the entire combine with the #1 vert, #1 sprint, and #4 lane agility
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 17, 2013 12:55 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Chad Ford wrote:

Scott Howard-Cooper (NBA.com writer, posted the comment on his Sulia account) adds to the speculation by saying that when Schroeder was asked what teams he'd like to play for the first team out of his mouth was Utah, and he also said Utah was his preferred destination with his second being Milwakee. Those are picks 14 and 15 in the draft, I wonder which one he got the guarantee from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 17, 2013 12:57 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Chad Ford wrote:

Scott Howard-Cooper (NBA.com writer, posted the comment on his Sulia account) adds to the speculation by saying that when Schroeder was asked what teams he'd like to play for the first team out of his mouth was Utah, and he also said Utah was his preferred destination with his second being Milwakee. Those are picks 14 and 15 in the draft, I wonder which one he got the guarantee from?

I kinda feel like guaranteeing a player a draft pick, without seeing everything he cann do is a bit anti-Jazz, but this could also be the beginnings of a higher risk-higher reward way of thinking from Dennis Lindsey as well.

6 more weeks, right?
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

...and I haven't even got to the best of them.

Shane Larkin just blew the place up with a ridiculous 44" max vert! That's the second highest at the NBA combine, EVER.

5 PG's had max verts over 40", that is just nuts, and Chad Ford just said that Larkin will probably test out as the most athletic player at the entire combine with the #1 vert, #1 sprint, and #4 lane agility

Seen a few draft boards with jazz taking Larkin as high as 14th.
with those numbers coming out i bet he'll be gone by 21st pick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sat May 18, 2013 10:52 am

TheMagnus wrote:

Speaking of Schroeder, he was the only player to have rumors of a promise being made to him at the combine. He had a hard time disguising his smile when probed about it, but refused to confirm. Schroeder is coming off of a brilliant performance at the 2013 Nike Hoops Summit. He stood out at the event that featured almost a dozen players who are projected to be future lottery picks. The Utah Jazz are slated to pick 14th and seem like the most logical team to promise Schroeder considering their need at point guard. However, don’t be shocked if he doesn’t last until then. A team outside of the top five made a promise to Dion Waiters at the combine last year, only to see the Cleveland Cavaliers fall in love with him upon further evaluation. The same could happen with Schroeder.
Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-top-5-destinations-for-jefferson#XcagjuLqQhFKrzjA.99
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sat May 18, 2013 11:14 am

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Speaking of Schroeder, he was the only player to have rumors of a promise being made to him at the combine. He had a hard time disguising his smile when probed about it, but refused to confirm. Schroeder is coming off of a brilliant performance at the 2013 Nike Hoops Summit. He stood out at the event that featured almost a dozen players who are projected to be future lottery picks. The Utah Jazz are slated to pick 14th and seem like the most logical team to promise Schroeder considering their need at point guard. However, don’t be shocked if he doesn’t last until then. A team outside of the top five made a promise to Dion Waiters at the combine last year, only to see the Cleveland Cavaliers fall in love with him upon further evaluation. The same could happen with Schroeder.
Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-top-5-destinations-for-jefferson#XcagjuLqQhFKrzjA.99

I get a feeling Al is gonna stay here with jazz for two more years. Sap is gone, He played with very little fire all year and was not very out going with younger players and will more than likely not be resigned. Hell, i thought i was wrong once but was just mistaken.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Sun May 19, 2013 2:36 pm

14. Utah Jazz: Shane Larkin, Miami, 5'11'', PG

Shane Larkin tested as the best athlete at the combine, at one point getting off the ground for a 44" max vertical leap. It was the second-highest anyone has ever jumped at the event.

There's currently a cloud of electric buzz over Larkin's head. He's gaining steam at just the right time.

The NBA guys love athletes, and considering Larkin's dominance at the combine, they might be able to overlook the fact he measured just 5'11.5".

Utah needs an athlete in its backcourt more than ever. Waiting til No. 21 overall might be too late at this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Tue May 21, 2013 10:18 am

Chad Ford with some comments....

Apparently the PG group just keeps getting deeper...

Chad Ford wrote:

Larkin has a lot of competition to be the first point guard off the board after Burke, C.J. McCollum and Michael Carter-Williams. Dennis Schroeder, Isaiah Canaan, Pierre Jackson and Lorenzo Brown are in the conversation, too. But during the combine, Larkin appeared to separate himself a bit with hot shooting and elite athletic testing numbers. Not only did he measure with the second-highest max vertical ever recorded, but Larkin also recorded the fastest time in the three-quarter court sprint. Add in deep range on his jumper and true court vision and Larkin could land in the late lottery or, at the very least, mid-first round.

...and puts Tony Snell on the Jazz first round radar.

Chad Ford wrote:

• New Mexico small forward Tony Snell also appeared to make the leap this weekend from interesting prospect to potential first-round pick. He still has a long way to go as far as proving to scouts he can play with consistent effort, but the raw athletic ability and elite size for his position, combined with smooth shooting touch really improved his stock. I've heard his name as high as No. 21 to the Utah Jazz.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9294289/2013-nba-draft-combine-sees-steven-adams-tim-hardaway-jr-impress-nerlens-noel-top-pick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 am

Draft Lottery tonight.... I've got a really good feeling about this one!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Draft Lottery tonight.... I've got a really good feeling about this one!

Looking at all of the players in the draft there might not be an all-star type guy in it but there are quality players that will be available deep into the second round, very deep draft this year could turn out to be a very good one for the Jazz.

I looked at all of the past lottery's and I seen that the Magic was able to get the 1st pick in the draft having the 11th worst record, that's the only team to do that with that kind of win loss record. The Jazz really has not had very good luck in the lottery so it would be Karma if they could some how pull off a top 3 pick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 draft   

Back to top Go down

2013 draft
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next