Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  predictions on Favors 13/14 season Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

predictions on Favors 13/14 season

Go down 
+8
Saint Louis
Richardale
Professo_Sloan
outerspacefan
MTJazz
TheMagnus
Calgary Jazz
aliveandkickin
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
aliveandkickin
Starter

predictions on Favors 13/14 season Empty
PostSubject: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm

If he can average around 34 minutes a game I'll say:
13pts, 13 rbs, 3.5 blks, 52% fg, 72% ft, and a per of who cares!!

He'll be in the top five in most dunks but still needs another yr to patent a go-to move and consistent jumper.

Side predictions : how many technicals for the yr will he get? I'll guess 3. Will Corbin isolate Favors on offense more than Kanter? ...not sure if those stats will be available this time next yr (or at all) but I say yes. Favors will get more low post isos over Kanter and Kanter will get more pick-and-roll opportunities over Favors.... assuming those two are the Jazz' main bigs- sans a Millsap or Jefferson type of veteran.

Should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Calgary Jazz
Starter

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Man I love Favors a lot but I do not see him averaging 13reb. That's sick number.
I think he will get more like 13pts, 10.5reb, 2.3blk. Which is great.

I think it will be opposite with post ups and pick and rolls. Favors is much better pick and roll player and Kanter is much better post up player. But it takes two to dance and Jazz do not have a good pick and roll PG yet....
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 3:04 pm

I went high because they're possible but not probable rb and blk numbers ..trying to be optimistic and going with what I think would work on offense...namely : keep Favors down low and Kanter shooting more fifteen footers - thus more offensive boards for Favors....not that'll happen. Regardless, we'll see...
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 pm

I'll give him 14 points, 10 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks per 36 mintues. Agree with Calg on the pick and post action, Favors is much much better on the move and Kanter is going to be crazy tough in the post.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
I'll give him 14 points, 10 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks per 36 mintues. Agree with Calg on the pick and post action, Favors is much much better on the move and Kanter is going to be crazy tough in the post.

I'm going to go slightly lower across the board simply because the above assumes he can stay on the floor for 36 minutes. He has had 3 years of pro ball now and still gets himself in a little too much foul trouble. While I suppose he could be coached into less fouls I could see that also meaning lower aggression and therefore less blocks and boards.

My prediction: 12 pts, 8 rbs, 2 blocks. Pretty solid for a center, not world class, but solid.

Here is hoping that he works hard on some go to post moves in the off-season like Kanter did last year because it really showed in his game.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm

MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I'm going to go slightly lower across the board simply because the above assumes he can stay on the floor for 36 minutes. He has had 3 years of pro ball now and still gets himself in a little too much foul trouble. While I suppose he could be coached into less fouls I could see that also meaning lower aggression and therefore less blocks and boards.

My prediction: 12 pts, 8 rbs, 2 blocks. Pretty solid for a center, not world class, but solid.

Here is hoping that he works hard on some go to post moves in the off-season like Kanter did last year because it really showed in his game.

I'd actually much rather see him working hard on his picking and cutting, learning how to read a defense and set a ball screen, attacking the basket like he's mad at it. Also hope he continues his focus on being an elite defender, learning all of the tricks of the trade that go along with that. Do those things first, let Kanter camp out on the block or the high post, and then add the post stuff later.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Man I love Favors a lot but I do not see him averaging 13reb. That's sick number.

I think it will be opposite with post ups and pick and rolls. Favors is much better pick and roll player and Kanter is much better post up player. But it takes two to dance and Jazz do not have a good pick and roll PG yet....

Your vision is too narrow there Calg, Hayward and Burks can both be great in the pick and roll. I really hope teaching all of these young players how to properly run that play is a focus of this offseason.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:

That's about how I see it too... probably one rebound less than that... To be isolated Favors have to learn how to not run over people yet...

Agree with Magnus too about Burks/Hayward P&R abilities.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:

Favors is a bad BAD pick and roll player. He can't dribble so fouls way too much. I wish it weren't so too, but it isn't.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I thought you hate the low block play??

I'd actually much rather see him working hard on his picking and cutting, learning how to read a defense and set a ball screen, attacking the basket like he's mad at it. Also hope he continues his focus on being an elite defender, learning all of the tricks of the trade that go along with that. Do those things first, let Kanter camp out on the block or the high post, and then add the post stuff later.
Back to top Go down
Calgary Jazz
Starter

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:03 am

Professo_Sloan wrote:

Favors is a bad BAD pick and roll player. He can't dribble so fouls way too much. I wish it weren't so too, but it isn't.

So if Favors is bad bad pick and roll player who is better then him at pick and rolls on the Jazz team? And since when dribbling has anything to do with setting the pick, rolling to the basket and finishing the play? Sorry but you should be demoted to towel boy after posting above nonsense....
magnus, I bet you have some special data where some "Hollinger" guy has % of all pick and rolls completed for all Jazz players... Please post it, I would love to see that.
Back to top Go down
Calgary Jazz
Starter

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 am

[quote="TheMagnus"]
Calgary Jazz wrote:

Your vision is too narrow there Calg, Hayward and Burks can both be great in the pick and roll. I really hope teaching all of these young players how to properly run that play is a focus of this offseason.

I do not doubt their ability to run it, I doubt they will be given a chance to run it enough for it to be effective. Unless Burks is promoted to starting PG...
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 6:14 am

Professo_Sloan wrote:

I thought you hate the low block play??

The other 4 guys don't HAVE to stand around and the guy in the post doesn't HAVE to hold the ball for 5 seconds before he does anything with it or face up 90% of the time.

I love me some good post play, but there's no reason it has to involve iso/hero ball.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 6:17 am

[quote="Calgary Jazz"]
TheMagnus wrote:
Calgary Jazz wrote:

I do not doubt their ability to run it, I doubt they will be given a chance to run it enough for it to be effective. Unless Burks is promoted to starting PG...

For the last two years in a row Hayward has been leaned on at the end of the season to do more ball handling and creating, this year that involved more pick and roll. Regardless of the PG (unless it's Chris Paul), Hayward needs to be the primary facilitator on the perimeter for the Jazz next season.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 am

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Professo_Sloan wrote:

So if Favors is bad bad pick and roll player who is better then him at pick and rolls on the Jazz team? And since when dribbling has anything to do with setting the pick, rolling to the basket and finishing the play? Sorry but you should be demoted to towel boy after posting above nonsense....
magnus, I bet you have some special data where some "Hollinger" guy has % of all pick and rolls completed for all Jazz players... Please post it, I would love to see that.

I agree why does the picker need to dribble? Not. but it would be nice if your in the NBA to dribble a little, i'm mean come on these guys are making mills to play bb.lol The prob Favors had is charging after getting the ball and staying on the floor. Rookie calls still hurt this kid.

I'm looking forward to high pick with Enes on the pick and pop drive and dump off to D fav or kick out to burk or Foye, nightmares

Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 am

D fav Av 11 points 7 rebs Thanks to Enes. and 2.8 blocks per.
Enes av 15 points 11 rebs. 1.1 blocks.
Hayward voted in by coaches. what the hell!
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:50 am

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Professo_Sloan wrote:

Solid response there Calg.

Synergy is the database that keeps stats like that, it's a pay service and I don't have access to it. Locke usually will do some sort of analysis of that type during the offseason.

I did see an article early in the season that talked about Haywards problems in the pick and roll, specifically his tendancy to have it go nowhere. He improved on that quite a bit as the season when on, but I haven't seen any analysis of the bigs.

What I can say is that Favors shot chart leaves little doubt
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Professo_Sloan wrote:

If I'm towel boy then you're skeet rag, cuz this is plain embarrassing. It's like you never watched the great Karl Malone one game. You realize the rules limit two steps don't you son?

Let me give you a lesson here. Calm down your Favors worship and learn a little. Ain't nothin wrong with that.

See, what teams do is crowd the ball handler because Favors don't got that outside pop shot. He's like 27% or something, but I don't spect you are aware. So if they hit Favors with a roll pass all the defense does is scoot the low guard over to take that charge, see. Favors usually mows him over and turns the ball over.

Now, if you really wanna learn then you'll watch some Malone highlights and his recent TNT appearance talkin bout dribble a bit. Many reasons that helps since two steps are the limit. You can't just ballerina dance around defenders kid, you just can't. Gotta dribble when needed.

The two step slam is optimal though so I'm giving you a gold star for wanting more if that.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Professo_Sloan wrote:

If I'm towel boy then you're skeet rag, cuz this is plain embarrassing. It's like you never watched the great Karl Malone one game. You realize the rules limit two steps don't you son?

Let me give you a lesson here. Calm down your Favors worship and learn a little. Ain't nothin wrong with that.

See, what teams do is crowd the ball handler because Favors don't got that outside pop shot. He's like 27% or something, but I don't spect you are aware. So if they hit Favors with a roll pass all the defense does is scoot the low guard over to take that charge, see. Favors usually mows him over and turns the ball over.

Now, if you really wanna learn then you'll watch some Malone highlights and his recent TNT appearance talkin bout dribble a bit. Many reasons that helps since two steps are the limit. You can't just ballerina dance around defenders kid, you just can't. Gotta dribble when needed.

The two step slam is optimal though so I'm giving you a gold star for wanting more if that.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Professo_Sloan wrote:
Calgary Jazz wrote:
Professo_Sloan wrote:

Coach, if the big man has to dribble more than one hard pound to finish a pick and roll then they are doing it wrong, simple as that. Malone didn't dribble more that once, and it was NEVER to go around anybody. You'll have to show me video proof if you want me to believe that nonsense.

Nice try on the hand waiving BS though, I'm sure somebody bought it.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXJ5it7_O3A&list=PLF1EA54F59605CC57

Vid on the Pick-and-roll. Note the coach says (at 3:20) if the player is a back-to-the-basket player without an outside shot that sets the pick (like Favors) then the picker will slip to the basket. If the picker is a "skill four" (like Kanter) then the picker will fade.

Ideally you want the picker to be able to fade or slip to the basket (Like Malone, preaching to the choir I know). I'd go with Kanter at this point in their careers as the picker since he can hit the outside jumper if he needs to fade.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Professo_Sloan wrote:
Calgary Jazz wrote:
Professo_Sloan wrote:

Coach, if the big man has to dribble more than one hard pound to finish a pick and roll then they are doing it wrong, simple as that. Malone didn't dribble more that once, and it was NEVER to go around anybody. You'll have to show me video proof if you want me to believe that nonsense.

Nice try on the hand waiving BS though, I'm sure somebody bought it.

Of course if he has to dribble more than once they ain't doin it right. That's what I was talking bout favors all along!

Run along and watch some Boozer footage if you want to see the value of dribble jump-stop in traffic. Or go on not believing it I don't care. For now, Jefferson was 1.01 vs .886 efficiency with almost 1/3 the t.o. In pick rolls and you can look that up at mysynergy.

Favors just don't got that pick roll game right now. I'm sorry that offends everyone so much.

Oh yeah, the dribble also helps set up that charge defender so he can't move while all Malone needs is a slight adjustment like a foot one side to slide past and dunk. Malone was excellent moving past defenders i dont know what youre talking about! They can't legally guard it really, just stand there hoping for the whistle while taking some punishment. Why is the basics so hard to understand???
Back to top Go down
Calgary Jazz
Starter

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:38 am

Professo_Sloan wrote:

I can pay for synergy and embarrass you with data which will obviously show that Favors converted pick and rolls on highest rate on the team with only occasional charge. But there is really no need for that as it is obvious to anybody who watched the Jazz that Favors is the best pick and roll finisher Jazz have and it is not even close. Neither Big AL nor Millsap play pick and roll as well and Kanter until this season was horrible at pick and roll and doubt he completed a single play in his rookie season. See, that dribble what you talking is very minimal part of it and not always necessary. How much dribbling Amare ( who is very similar to Favors when it comes to athletism and agility) was doing when Nash was feeding him during his Suns days? This example form Nash running pick and roll - how many times finisher dribbled? You can count and tell me % ok, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FcVuag7KvE

Most important part is to know when and how to set a screen and where and how fast you roll towards the basket. And Favors is the best at that, nobody can do it better then him - Big AL for example is horrible at rolling and Kanter is bad at setting the pick ( he improved a lot this season though). I am not even talking about finishing the play where Favors again has huge advantage due to his quickness and explosiveness.
See this...Who can do it better then Favors on the Jazz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H855dml_IOw

And you 27% number is puled out of ... not sure where... Favors eFG % on jumpers last season was 33%.
Back to top Go down
Calgary Jazz
Starter

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:10 am

Since professo probably can't count I did it for him. In the video above from 29 pick and roll plays only 4 times finisher dribbled the ball ( 13% of all plays run)... One bounce dribble to be exact before finishing. Well, I guess dribbling is so important to be a good pick and roll finisher then sadly Favors does not deserve to have it run for him.. sad, sad - we should trade him ASAP I guess...
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:39 am

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Since professo probably can't count I did it for him. In the video above from 29 pick and roll plays only 4 times finisher dribbled the ball ( 13% of all plays run)... One bounce dribble to be exact before finishing. Well, I guess dribbling is so important to be a good pick and roll finisher then sadly Favors does not deserve to have it run for him.. sad, sad - we should trade him ASAP I guess...

Oh, he can count, he chooses not to. As much as he likes to bitch about "fanview" and all other sorts of biases and blindness it is abundantly clear that he suffers from a double measure of the ailment. He loves his own opinions even more you and I love ours, which is saying something, 'cause we think we are pretty freaking awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: predictions on Favors 13/14 season   predictions on Favors 13/14 season Empty

Back to top Go down

predictions on Favors 13/14 season
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next