The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!
 
HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 KOC stepping down

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Voice of Reason
Admin
avatar

Posts : 498
Points : 617
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: KOC stepping down   Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saint Louis
Starter


Posts : 382
Points : 473
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_4773.shtml

What is KOC stepping down from? I thought KOC stepped out months ago. (?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romoholic
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1090
Points : 1284
Reputation : 38
Join date : 2012-04-26
Age : 42
Location : Layton, Utah

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 6:44 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_4773.shtml

Not sure if this is good or bad. I know Lindsey came from the Spurs and all, but I'm don't think I'm really comfortable with him and greggy running the show.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jazznation.forumotion.com
TheMagnus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1765
Points : 2172
Reputation : 75
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 am

So, it truly is a new era of Jazz basketball. Should be interesting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin
avatar

Posts : 498
Points : 617
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 am

Romoholic wrote:
The Voice of Reason wrote:
http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_4773.shtml

Not sure if this is good or bad. I know Lindsey came from the Spurs and all, but I'm don't think I'm really comfortable with him and greggy running the show.

I have never been anti-KOC. In fact, I have always thought he has done a pretty decent job.
But, if this is really true, I don't think it is a bad thing. It seems like Utah Jazz basketball has kind of lost its identity over the last 5-6 years. I am not even sure what kind of a team we are anymore.

Personally, I think DL will do a good job. He is not entrenched in the good ole boy network. I think he is willing to make some difficult decisions. For example, if TyCo needs to be fired, I think DL is more likely to do it than KOC. Also, from every interview I have heard, I think DL is a rather intelligent man when it comes to basketball and building a successful franchise. I also think he has been itching to be "the man" all year. Yeah, yeah, DL was the GM last year...blah blah blah. If anyone actually thought that KOC had given up any authority/responsibilities, I think you are sorely mistaken. If this is true and KOC steps down, I think DL will make some positive changes.

But, like Mags said...should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romoholic
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1090
Points : 1284
Reputation : 38
Join date : 2012-04-26
Age : 42
Location : Layton, Utah

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
The Voice of Reason wrote:
http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_4773.shtml

Not sure if this is good or bad. I know Lindsey came from the Spurs and all, but I'm don't think I'm really comfortable with him and greggy running the show.

I have never been anti-KOC. In fact, I have always thought he has done a pretty decent job.
But, if this is really true, I don't think it is a bad thing. It seems like Utah Jazz basketball has kind of lost its identity over the last 5-6 years. I am not even sure what kind of a team we are anymore.

Personally, I think DL will do a good job. He is not entrenched in the good ole boy network. I think he is willing to make some difficult decisions. For example, if TyCo needs to be fired, I think DL is more likely to do it than KOC. Also, from every interview I have heard, I think DL is a rather intelligent man when it comes to basketball and building a successful franchise. I also think he has been itching to be "the man" all year. Yeah, yeah, DL was the GM last year...blah blah blah. If anyone actually thought that KOC had given up any authority/responsibilities, I think you are sorely mistaken. If this is true and KOC steps down, I think DL will make some positive changes.

But, like Mags said...should be interesting.

David James is the one reporting this, but the Jazz are officially denying the report. So who knows at this point.

Whether or not it's true, doesn't this have to be the end of DJ on the zone? He is either reporting inside information that his employer doesn't want out yet or making a false report that he hasn't investigated enough, thus causing problems for his employer.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jazznation.forumotion.com
The Voice of Reason
Admin
avatar

Posts : 498
Points : 617
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 am

Romoholic wrote:
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
The Voice of Reason wrote:
http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_4773.shtml

Not sure if this is good or bad. I know Lindsey came from the Spurs and all, but I'm don't think I'm really comfortable with him and greggy running the show.

I have never been anti-KOC. In fact, I have always thought he has done a pretty decent job.
But, if this is really true, I don't think it is a bad thing. It seems like Utah Jazz basketball has kind of lost its identity over the last 5-6 years. I am not even sure what kind of a team we are anymore.

Personally, I think DL will do a good job. He is not entrenched in the good ole boy network. I think he is willing to make some difficult decisions. For example, if TyCo needs to be fired, I think DL is more likely to do it than KOC. Also, from every interview I have heard, I think DL is a rather intelligent man when it comes to basketball and building a successful franchise. I also think he has been itching to be "the man" all year. Yeah, yeah, DL was the GM last year...blah blah blah. If anyone actually thought that KOC had given up any authority/responsibilities, I think you are sorely mistaken. If this is true and KOC steps down, I think DL will make some positive changes.

But, like Mags said...should be interesting.

David James is the one reporting this, but the Jazz are officially denying the report. So who knows at this point.

Whether or not it's true, doesn't this have to be the end of DJ on the zone? He is either reporting inside information that his employer doesn't want out yet or making a false report that he hasn't investigated enough, thus causing problems for his employer.

There are some questions as to the veracity of this report. Although, apparently the fact that he sold his house and purchased one in the Carolinas has been verified. Although, I guess that doesn't necessarily prove anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin
avatar

Posts : 498
Points : 617
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romoholic
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1090
Points : 1284
Reputation : 38
Join date : 2012-04-26
Age : 42
Location : Layton, Utah

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
Now there is this...
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865579259/Utah-Jazz-CEO-Greg-Miller-refutes-report-that-Kevin-OConnor-is-stepping-down.html
so who the hell knows?

and this

Utah Jazz
Statement from Utah Jazz President Randy Rigby:

Media reports of Kevin O’Connor’s departure are inaccurate and he is not stepping down. He is fully engaged in Jazz preparations for draft season. The working relationship between Kevin and Dennis Lindsey is unchanged as both individuals provide valuable expertise, knowledge and perspective toward building a championship-caliber team. Kevin will be a member of the Jazz family for a long time. No further comment is needed.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/statement-utah-jazz-president-randy-rigby

_________________


Last edited by Romoholic on Wed May 01, 2013 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jazznation.forumotion.com
The Voice of Reason
Admin
avatar

Posts : 498
Points : 617
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 10:13 am

That is interesting.
Guess that clears it all up.
Wonder how/why this got started?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romoholic
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1090
Points : 1284
Reputation : 38
Join date : 2012-04-26
Age : 42
Location : Layton, Utah

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 10:14 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
That is interesting.
Guess that clears it all up.
Wonder how/why this got started?

Don't know, but DJ has some explaining to do Twisted Evil

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jazznation.forumotion.com
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Good. Awesome, I was worried.

This MASSIVELY IMPORTANT UTAH JAZZ OFFSEASON, with all their money and the draft picks needs the two-headed monster KOC/Lindsey. This is maybe the biggest offseason of all time for the Jazz. And I am supremely confident in those two heads, and look at it like Popovich and Jerry coaching a team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollificus
All Star
avatar

Posts : 553
Points : 684
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 97
Location : Sugarhouse

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 4:40 pm

You DO realize the only way, by league rules, that the Jazz could have hired DL was to give him a promotion from the ASSISSTANT GM position he held with San Antonio, right? So they had to "name" him the GM, whatever roles he and O'Connor actually filled.

I figured this gave O'Connor a chance to travel less, and talk to agents less, which might have seemed like an attractive option at this stage of his career, and a chance for Lindsey to take over more of the hands-on smoozing and lying to agents and other GMs that are such a big part of the job, which must have seemed like an attractive option at this stage of HIS career.

All in all, about as perfectly seamless a transition as could be managed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Professo_Sloan
6th man


Posts : 126
Points : 143
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-12-07

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 8:50 pm

I've been pretty much so freaking what on this ever since DJPK were stroking themselves over "the break".

On the other hand, I have to wonder if KOC was doing some serious house cleaning before turning the thing completely over to the new GM (minus STUD Corbin of course). Think about it, Lindsey would have two firsts, and young "potential", and gazillions to spend. There just might be a little subliminal to speculate on here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollificus
All Star
avatar

Posts : 553
Points : 684
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 97
Location : Sugarhouse

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm

I expect KOC to help out through the draft and FA signings and whatever deals they can put together, until they have whatever team they're going to have going in to next year and THEN "step down" either right before the season or early on if the team is doing well enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Voice of Reason
Admin
avatar

Posts : 498
Points : 617
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Wed May 01, 2013 9:54 pm

DJ is sticking with the story. He said he has very reliable sources.
He said he never used the term "stepping down", that was used by other local media outlets....what will really happen is a gradual phase out on KOC's terms.

He said he expects KOC to be involved through the draft, and then decreasingly through the summer and by August, he will be in a consulting role...which is pretty much whatever he wants it to be from wherever he wants it to be.

Said his sources all told him to stick with the story, to not flinch, and everything he reported will happen.

You can hear the interview here if ya wanna:
http://1280thezone.com/index.php/audio/listen/the_big_show_david_james_co_host_of_the_dj_pk_show
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
avatar

Posts : 1296
Points : 1397
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 am

Ok. Well thats fine with me, get through this important summer, point the ship in the right direction and Lindsey can steer it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1765
Points : 2172
Reputation : 75
Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 am

That is kind of what I figured. Seemed to me that other media folks and fans really blew up what he originally said.

"Executive Vice President of Operations" is a figurehead position, somebody that sits in board meetings and helps make major decisions on the direction of the franchise, effectively an assistant to Randy Rigby. All DJ's story really meant to me was that KOC was fully transitionaing out of the GM role by the end of this summer, and from then on would be more of an executive and almost totally divorced from the day to day grind that goes with being a GM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star
avatar

Posts : 657
Points : 726
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2012-04-26
Age : 52
Location : Hell in the summer. St george

PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   Thu May 02, 2013 12:47 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
That is kind of what I figured. Seemed to me that other media folks and fans really blew up what he originally said.

"Executive Vice President of Operations" is a figurehead position, somebody that sits in board meetings and helps make major decisions on the direction of the franchise, effectively an assistant to Randy Rigby. All DJ's story really meant to me was that KOC was fully transitionaing out of the GM role by the end of this summer, and from then on would be more of an executive and almost totally divorced from the day to day grind that goes with being a GM.

They blew it up because your talking about the jazz where turnover is a rare thing with the jazz? I know a lot a fan where done with him but i thought he did a fine job for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: KOC stepping down   

Back to top Go down
 
KOC stepping down
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» OS stepping into 50cc market
» Stepping down from Vice President
» 1968 Cal Look Bug
» Step-back week mileage
» Bob Osborne steps down from #99 crew chief

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Utah Jazz Nation :: The Utah Jazz-
Jump to: