The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 am

Quote :
The Philadelphia 76ers are about to begin their first interviews with candidates for the head coach position and they have received permission to meet with Golden State Warriors assistant coach Mike Malone and Utah Jazz assistant coach Jeff Hornacek, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

Malone, reportedly one of the highest paid assistants in the NBA, was a hot name last year and he interviewed for several jobs, but ultimately returned to the Warriors' bench. Every team needing a head coach in 2013 will call his agent once again. Hornacek does have some ties with the Sixers as he played for them from 1992-94 during the middle part of his career.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=7057

Interesting. I still kind of wonder why Corbin didn't promote him to first assistant last year, instead bringing in Sydney Lowe, seemed kind of odd at the time, and still does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 8:47 am

TheMagnus wrote:

Interesting. I still kind of wonder why Corbin didn't promote him to first assistant last year, instead bringing in Sydney Lowe, seemed kind of odd at the time, and still does.

This is only bad for the Jazz, if he goes. Unless of course, Hornacek is replaced by Nate McMillan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romoholic
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 am

He is the one guy on the coaching staff that seems to have any idea how to teach players. That would be a big lose for the Jazz.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 9:38 am

TheMagnus wrote:

I thought I understood, at the time, why the team signed Lowe. Lowe has head coaching experience, while Horny & Ty never had even been a #1 assistant. I thought Lowe would bring some stability & know-how to the squad. Now, in hindsight, it doesn't appear Lowe added much to the team other than a nice mug-shot.

I would like to see Jeff stick around I doubt he will get a head coaching job with his limited coaching experience, but I could see him move on, as a #1 assistant, to a team that already has an older, more seasoned head coach, with a possible future of becoming the main man, especially if it appears the Jazz are married to Ty for the long haul (.... what a scary thought).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 pm

[quote="zero24gravity"]
TheMagnus wrote:

I would like to see Jeff stick around I doubt he will get a head coaching job with his limited coaching experience, but I could see him move on, as a #1 assistant, to a team that already has an older, more seasoned head coach, with a possible future of becoming the main man, especially if it appears the Jazz are married to Ty for the long haul (.... what a scary thought).

If you are Jeff and looking to advance your career do you stick around as an assistant assistant coach, being "mentored" by Ty Corbin? Near as I can tell the only people in the league who respect Corbin is the Miller family, Jazz FO and a handful of Jazz fans. If I'm Horny, I'm catching the first bus out of town.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Quote :
The Philadelphia 76ers are about to begin their first interviews with candidates for the head coach position and they have received permission to meet with Golden State Warriors assistant coach Mike Malone and Utah Jazz assistant coach Jeff Hornacek, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

Malone, reportedly one of the highest paid assistants in the NBA, was a hot name last year and he interviewed for several jobs, but ultimately returned to the Warriors' bench. Every team needing a head coach in 2013 will call his agent once again. Hornacek does have some ties with the Sixers as he played for them from 1992-94 during the middle part of his career.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=7057

Maybe he knew his bud sid was behind on taxes and wanted to help him out? I to was thinking thats odd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 12:43 pm

[quote="MTJazz"]
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

If you are Jeff and looking to advance your career do you stick around as an assistant assistant coach, being "mentored" by Ty Corbin? Near as I can tell the only people in the league who respect Corbin is the Miller family, Jazz FO and a handful of Jazz fans. If I'm Horny, I'm catching the first bus out of town.

When you have friends and family and your close its hard to just get up and hit the road. Thing is jazz have allways be faithful to their help/employee and i think you'll keep seeing that, Horny could be here for years? One two bad years of your team losing as head coach he could be done? Just a thought?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 12:51 pm

[quote="Richardale"]
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

When you have friends and family and your close its hard to just get up and hit the road. Thing is jazz have allways be faithful to their help/employee and i think you'll keep seeing that, Horny could be here for years? One two bad years of your team losing as head coach he could be done? Just a thought?

The Jazz loyalty is actually Horny's career problem. He is behind both Ty and Sid and will be frozen there forever barring Ty and Sid walking away (fat chance). His path to a head coaching gig is moving on to the next First Assistant Coach position available, preferably under a high status coach on a winning team where it is easier to look good and do good. I'd be shocked if Philly took a flier on Horny as he is a little shy of credentials currently - but his message is out - "I'm happy to leave Utah for a promotion."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 pm

[quote="MTJazz"]
Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

The Jazz loyalty is actually Horny's career problem. He is behind both Ty and Sid and will be frozen there forever barring Ty and Sid walking away (fat chance). His path to a head coaching gig is moving on to the next First Assistant Coach position available, preferably under a high status coach on a winning team where it is easier to look good and do good. I'd be shocked if Philly took a flier on Horny as he is a little shy of credentials currently - but his message is out - "I'm happy to leave Utah for a promotion."

When sloan left so did johnson his side kick? I'm sure Horny would be next in line. That may not be that far off if you stop and think about it? Up to GM and i bet ty misses playoffs next year? Sloan was a rock when it came to making playoffs over all those years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Jazz Loyalty   Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 pm

[quote="Richardale"]
MTJazz wrote:
Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

When sloan left so did johnson his side kick? I'm sure Horny would be next in line. That may not be that far off if you stop and think about it? Up to GM and i bet ty misses playoffs next year? Sloan was a rock when it came to making playoffs over all those years.

Here's the problem. If the Jazz elect to play their younger players, as has been discussed in other threads, then look to sign help next year, as opposed to this year, when the luxury tax really develops teeth, next year may very well be a viewed by the Jazz FO as a freebie, developmental year for Coach Corbin as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 pm

[quote="ptaz66"]
Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Here's the problem. If the Jazz elect to play their younger players, as has been discussed in other threads, then look to sign help next year, as opposed to this year, when the luxury tax really develops teeth, next year may very well be a viewed by the Jazz FO as a freebie, developmental year for Coach Corbin as well.

The jazz will pick up couple FA and we have two first round picks and if were not close to playoffs next year Ty will be gone and sid will be right behind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 12, 2013 9:44 am

I didn't realize that Hornacek was the son of a coach. That is another plus for Hornacek in my view.

Jeff Hornacek on fast track for head-coaching job
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56294441-87/hornacek-jazz-coach-monson.html.csp

"He’ll have some choices, either this year or in the coming years about where he wants to be in his career as a potential head coach," said general manager Dennis Lindsey. "He’s very capable … obviously a great basketball mind, a natural."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 12, 2013 6:52 pm

[quote="MTJazz"]
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Half and half with you on this one, MTJazz. I strongly agree that Jeff can find greener pastures and possibly more success if he pursues other options than being "mentored by Ty Corbin." Horny helps Ty a lot more than Ty helps Horny.

However, I have to cut in on your opinion that Ty is not tremendously respected around the league. There are a lot of new coaches around the league, and, a lot of unemployed coaches around the league-- and Ty is faring above average as far as I can tell. A few coaches have already been fired, and outside of this site's "Fire Corbin" campaign, I haven't seen any evidence suggesting Corbin fits into the category of a coach that should be fired. Corbin does get a lot of league-wide respect, and it's not because he's running the Washington Generals to the rest of the league's Globetrotters.

Ty is coaching a team that would not even exist in a truly "free market" league. 2 teams in LA, 2 teams in San Fran, a team in Seattle, a team in San Diego is a positive free market strategy that wouldn't even allow Utah to have an NBA team. It's interesting and fun to talk about players like DC, Evans, and Burkes that MAY turn out to be excellent role players some day for some team. It's even more interesting and fun to talk about Heyhay, Favors, and Kanter who may someday become players worthy of an alternate's spot in an All-Star game. And, it's even more interesting (though less fun) to talk about Mo-Will, Foye, Marv-Will, Millman, and Big Al as potential All-Stars that have all fallen under the leadership of Ty Corbin. Did Ty fail? Or, did the players Ty needed most to shine fail? (And, if those players failed, is it because Ty did not use them correctly, or, is it because they failed on their own?) A lot of people on this site seem to think our "best players" were not our best players (they may be right, they may be wrong). Even in hindsight, though, I don't see any other coaches out there that would have done any better in the win-loss column than Ty. Maybe we would be happier in the long run if we had gone the rout of Orlando, which was: win or lose doesn't matter, just develop young players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Saint Louis wrote:

However, I have to cut in on your opinion that Ty is not tremendously respected around the league. There are a lot of new coaches around the league, and, a lot of unemployed coaches around the league-- and Ty is faring above average as far as I can tell. A few coaches have already been fired, and outside of this site's "Fire Corbin" campaign, I haven't seen any evidence suggesting Corbin fits into the category of a coach that should be fired. Corbin does get a lot of league-wide respect, and it's not because he's running the Washington Generals to the rest of the league's Globetrotters.

Actually, the,, "Fire Ty" campaign is far from being an isolated event that was thought up in our little forum. It is a shared moto by many Jazz fans, fan boards, blogs, etc.. But also, as Magus has referred to more than once, a nationally recognized point of view by "big time" NBA analysis.

Maybe the players do love and respect Corbin, but there is no doubt that he made terrible decisions in many facets of the game, especially when it came to line ups, and would likely have got his walking papers already if he was employed by most other NBA franchises. My hope is that he learns and grows with the additional life he's been given by the super-loyal Jazz F.O., otherwise it's going to be a rough year in Jazzland next season.

As a Jazz fan I'll be rooting for him...... but I definitely have my reservations.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:

Actually, the,, "Fire Ty" campaign is far from being an isolated event that was thought up in our little forum. It is a shared moto by many Jazz fans, fan boards, blogs, etc.. But also, as Magus has referred to more than once, a nationally recognized point of view by "big time" NBA analysis.

Maybe the players do love and respect Corbin, but there is no doubt that he made terrible decisions in many facets of the game, especially when it came to line ups, and would likely have got his walking papers already if he was employed by most other NBA franchises. My hope is that he learns and grows with the additional life he's been given by the super-loyal Jazz F.O., otherwise it's going to be a rough year in Jazzland next season.

As a Jazz fan I'll be rooting for him...... but I definitely have my reservations.

There is precident for him going from being terrible to being good. Doc Rivers. All it took was trading Al Jefferson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon May 13, 2013 7:08 am

zero24gravity wrote:

Yes, there has been a ton of evidence presented here that the lack of appreciation for Ty Corbin is not relegated to our forum, including in replies from Tang to St. Louis a month or so ago. I am not sure why St. Louis continues to willfully ignore that evidence. That being said, most of us are now just hoping for the best; hoping that the third year will be a charm.

On another note, there was a discussion of available coaches on ESPN yesterday, and one of the guys on the panel who wasn't an ex player was promoting long time Laker assistant Brian Shaw as a great candidate. Magic Johnson replied that his first two calls would be to Phil Johnson and Jeff Van Gundy, implying that previous winning experience as a head coach is certainly worth pursuing. Phil would never come here, but I pretty sure Jeff Van Gundy would. He has always been very complimentary of the Jazz franchise. Jeff Van Gundy has been one of the top three guys on my short list along with Nate and Stan.

Hornacek is pretty interesting too after you remember that he is a guy that succeeded all the way to the All Star level without a great deal of raw athleticism, but succeeded at a very high level more because he was a brilliant game tactician (and a great shooter Very Happy ).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon May 13, 2013 7:51 am

TheMagnus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:

There is precident for him going from being terrible to being good. Doc Rivers. All it took was trading Al Jefferson.

OOOooooooo. Is that true? Doc had Al??? Wow.....is it possible that everything in the universe, balances out and shows true, if the High Drag/Low Speed Al is gone? A coach is able to finally show his abilities along with the players able to show theirs??? Hmmm, that would be crazy. Very interesting thought, and good post Mag.

I'll say, and I know I'm not original at this point, that while losing Al is going to be a HUGE boost to this team, I dont believe that Tyrone is even close to Doc's abilities to coach a team. Game management, lineups, minutes, these were all things that had nothing to do with Al, and almost always came down to fundamentals for a coach. Sadly, I think we're going to waste the next year of Corbin again and however long is contract goes and THEN, he'll be let go. It'll be treated like CJ Miles, keep holding out hope that the evidence is wrong, and then all of a sudden you've wasted years for nothing. It's going to be a waste. Next year, his coaching will get a pass because we've turned it over to the kids. It's wasting good years that can push this team to another level, instead of barely moving forward.

Corbin WILL be better next year (or the team rather) but only because Al is gone, not because he's a decent coach. Just one fans' opinion....(or a million)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm

First off I want to say that losing Hornacek would be a bad thing for the Jazz now and going forward, his influence on some of the younger players is pretty clear to me and one of the biggest improvements I have seen him a part of is Jeremy Evans shot, with the way he was able to hit shots at the end of last season from the outside it is clear whatever Hornacek is doing with these young kids is working well.

I have been holding off on talking about Corbin because I know that the Jazz are happy with the way the team was able to come back after going through the losing streak after the all star brake that they had and are willing to give him more time to see if he can turn things around but I don't think next season is going to be a without expectations. I really think that Corbin is going to have to get these Kids playing as hard as they can and if he can get them to give it there all every time they step on the court and compete as hard as they can I think the Jazz and us fan's will be happy win or lose but if they fall apart and he can't get them to play at their best I think they will be willing to make a change. I think this group of Kids have shown that they have the talent to play in this league now Coach Corbin has to get them to do in night in and night out that is what coaching is all about and is where he needs to show he has improved the most at next season again IMHO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Agree, but with reservations   Mon May 13, 2013 1:32 pm

dongibby wrote:
First off I want to say that losing Hornacek would be a bad thing for the Jazz now and going forward, his influence on some of the younger players is pretty clear to me and one of the biggest improvements I have seen him a part of is Jeremy Evans shot, with the way he was able to hit shots at the end of last season from the outside it is clear whatever Hornacek is doing with these young kids is working well.

I have been holding off on talking about Corbin because I know that the Jazz are happy with the way the team was able to come back after going through the losing streak after the all star brake that they had and are willing to give him more time to see if he can turn things around but I don't think next season is going to be a without expectations. I really think that Corbin is going to have to get these Kids playing as hard as they can and if he can get them to give it there all every time they step on the court and compete as hard as they can I think the Jazz and us fan's will be happy win or lose but if they fall apart and he can't get them to play at their best I think they will be willing to make a change. I think this group of Kids have shown that they have the talent to play in this league now Coach Corbin has to get them to do in night in and night out that is what coaching is all about and is where he needs to show he has improved the most at next season again IMHO.

I agree, but I do have some reservations. I'm afraid the Jazz even though they have the money to be big players in this years free agency, will elect to wait until next year while using this year as a test year to see what the young guns really are capable of. If the do this, my fear is then this year will be considered a growing year, with limited expectations on Coach Corbin, because the FO did not provide him with a lot of additional fire-power. Personally, I agree with your take he needs to show he can get the players to play consistently night in and night out. The talent is there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Horny interviewed with the Bobcats today. Pretty clear he is looking to move outta Utah and into a head coaching gig. Honestly, it is a shame - at this point I would prefer him over Corbin for damn sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Hornacek Frontrunner for Phoenix Job   Sun May 26, 2013 1:01 am

Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that Hornacek is the frontrunner for the Phoenix head coaching job and that the process is already pretty far along. Woj reports that the Suns and Hornacek have already started work on assembling an assistant coaching staff and the Suns are expected to start discussing contract parameters with Hornacek over this weekend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--jeff-hornacek-frontrunner-for-suns--coach-034901994.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 7:24 am

Crunchtime1 wrote:
Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that Hornacek is the frontrunner for the Phoenix head coaching job and that the process is already pretty far along. Woj reports that the Suns and Hornacek have already started work on assembling an assistant coaching staff and the Suns are expected to start discussing contract parameters with Hornacek over this weekend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--jeff-hornacek-frontrunner-for-suns--coach-034901994.html

Sad. Not only do the Jazz lose a possible better head coach than Ty, but also lose a guy who really showed that he is a very good shooting coach. Ty better pull his head out next season, or this may turn out to quietly be the biggest news of what will probably be a busy off-season.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 8:27 am

zero24gravity wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

Sad. Not only do the Jazz lose a possible better head coach than Ty, but also lose a guy who really showed that he is a very good shooting coach.

Yep, Sad to see Horny go for both those reasons you mention plus for the reason that he was the logical heir apparent if the Jazz wanted to make their next hire another "Jazz guy". Sure, Stockton might make a great coach, but he has never put in time as an assistant like Horny has and he doesn't have current ties to Utah like Horny has. Stockton went back home to become a big part of the Spokane community. I don't even know whether Stockton has any interest in coaching in the NBA. Also, Horny played NBA ball under MacLeod, Cotton and Doug Moe as well as Sloan, so he has experienced other winning coaching styles besides Sloan's.

Speaking of shooting coaches, I think having a great shooting coach, Chip Engellland, has been one of the keys to the Spurs' success. Just last night, the announcers were again telling the story about how Chip (some time ago) changed Parker's hand position on the ball when shooting. Parker had a career best PER this season including 20 ppg on 52%/35% shooting. This was accomplished in a season when he was the focal point of the other teams' defense. With so many young players on the Jazz in need of guidance and development, I think it is going to hurt not having Hornacek here this season. I hope Woj got the story wrong about Jeff leaving, but his NBA reporting is usually very solid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 10:39 am

All i can say is that sucks big time for jazz / fans!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 11:04 am

Watching Horny leave and Corbin stay is yet another tough pill to swallow. What's next, start grooming Watson? I already had about zero confidence in the Jazz coaching staff and that is about to go to zero. Who is gonna teach the guys how to shoot? And, what does it say about the Jazz organization, that any normal team would have fired after last season, who is deciding to ride that horse? I guaruntee you, if Ty ever does get fired he is never gonna sniff a head coaching position again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   

Back to top Go down

Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next