The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome    CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 11:05 am

Crunchtime1 wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:
Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that Hornacek is the frontrunner for the Phoenix head coaching job and that the process is already pretty far along. Woj reports that the Suns and Hornacek have already started work on assembling an assistant coaching staff and the Suns are expected to start discussing contract parameters with Hornacek over this weekend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--jeff-hornacek-frontrunner-for-suns--coach-034901994.html

Sad. Not only do the Jazz lose a possible better head coach than Ty, but also lose a guy who really showed that he is a very good shooting coach.

Yep, Sad to see Horny go for both those reasons you mention plus for the reason that he was the logical heir apparent if the Jazz wanted to make their next hire another "Jazz guy". Sure, Stockton might make a great coach, but he has never put in time as an assistant like Horny has and he doesn't have current ties to Utah like Horny has. Stockton went back home to become a big part of the Spokane community. I don't even know whether Stockton has any interest in coaching in the NBA. Also, Horny played NBA ball under MacLeod, Cotton and Doug Moe as well as Sloan, so he has experienced other winning coaching styles besides Sloan's.

Speaking of shooting coaches, I think having a great shooting coach, Chip Engellland, has been one of the keys to the Spurs' success. Just last night, the announcers were again telling the story about how Chip (some time ago) changed Parker's hand position on the ball when shooting. Parker had a career best PER this season including 20 ppg on 52%/35% shooting. This was accomplished in a season when he was the focal point of the other teams' defense. With so many young players on the Jazz in need of guidance and development, I think it is going to hurt not having Hornacek here this season. I hope Woj got the story wrong about Jeff leaving, but his NBA reporting is usually very solid.

Ya, the Suns beat reporters are saying the same thing, looks like Horny is heading to Phoenix. Good for him. Huge bummer for the Jazz and us fans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 am

re: logical "Jazz guy" heir apparent

I briefly forgot about Phil Johnson when I mentioned logical "Jazz guy" heir apparent. I like the fact that Phil is right here and has been watching all the games. He already knows the personnel. He could step in and quickly get up to speed. He was NBA COY back in 74-75. Then there is Jerry himself .....

Anyway, it seems like Corbin will get at least one more season to prove himself. He could still turn out to be better than I am giving him credit for.

Last edited by Crunchtime1 on Sun May 26, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Well it happened Hornacek is the Head Coach of the Sun's and the Jazz have lost one hell of a coach that they really needed to keep around, this is a big step backward's IMO for the Jazz without question. I think he was a big part of what the Jazz was doing on the offensive end of the court because of him being such a big part of it for so many year's playing along side of Stockton and Malone, it is going to be very interesting to see how things work out next season for sure.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227854/Jeff-Hornacek-Agrees-To-Become-Head-Coach-Of-Suns
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 6:00 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Watching Horny leave and Corbin stay is yet another tough pill to swallow. What's next, start grooming Watson? I already had about zero confidence in the Jazz coaching staff and that is about to go to zero. Who is gonna teach the guys how to shoot? And, what does it say about the Jazz organization, that any normal team would have fired after last season, who is deciding to ride that horse? I guaruntee you, if Ty ever does get fired he is never gonna sniff a head coaching position again.

/\ times 2.

This is trouble. I can't imagine who Utah is going to add to the staff, but if that coaching staff was brains and muscle, the brains just left. This is a huge problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sun May 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Crunchtime1 wrote:

I briefly forgot about Phil Johnson when I mentioned logical "Jazz guy" heir apparent. I like the fact that Phil is right here and has been watching all the games. He already knows the personnel. He could step in and quickly get up to speed. He was NBA COY back in 74-75. Then there is Jerry himself .....

Anyway, it seems like Corbin will at least get one more season to prove himself. He could still turn out to be better than I am giving him credit for.

Sadly, this is weird good news for me, since I fully believe Corbin is going to waste another year. Losing Hornacek is only going to expose Corbin more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMagnus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon May 27, 2013 7:55 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

Anyway, it seems like Corbin will at least get one more season to prove himself. He could still turn out to be better than I am giving him credit for.

Sadly, this is weird good news for me, since I fully believe Corbin is going to waste another year. Losing Hornacek is only going to expose Corbin more.

I can just imagine the collective freakout/meltdown in Jazz Nation if Hornacek has a "successful" (meaning better than expected) season and Corbin turns in another below expectations performance. That will not be pretty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon May 27, 2013 9:30 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

I can just imagine the collective freakout/meltdown in Jazz Nation if Hornacek has a "successful" (meaning better than expected) season and Corbin turns in another below expectations performance. That will not be pretty.

Lets see how do you say it? Chit canned!!!! monkey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon May 27, 2013 11:31 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

It'll be bad. But the problem, is some will say it's because we're all young now, so low expectations. I seriously fill like this has turned into a lipstick on a pig situation. I so wish someone else had been brought in as HC, and Ty kept as an asst. He needed it, and is good with the younger players. Now......ugh.
I can't imagine who they're going to bring in that'll be able to coach these guys with an offense.....I'm scared, so scared. I see dead people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Demarre Credits Hornacek   Mon May 27, 2013 3:43 pm

On Twitter, Jazz forward DeMarre Carroll wrote, "Congrats to my man coach Jeff Hornacek. He is going to make a great [head] coach. He’s the one [who] gave me confidence in my shot."

Carroll added the hashtags "respect" and "well-deserved" to his tweet.

Carroll went from a 37% shooter to 46% in one season under Hornacek's tutelage. Hope he doesn't follow Horny to Phoenix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romoholic
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Tue May 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. We have one of the worst coaching staffs in the NBA and it's going to be very apparent this coming season. I would be willing to bet anything that we miss the playoffs by a wide margin this season and THEN we will be able to go on a proper head coaching search, like what should have been done after Coach Sloan left in the first place.

I also wonder if Sloan is always turning down these head coaching jobs because the can see the writing on the wall for Corbin and maybe wants to come home to coach the Jazz. He is at a ton of games and seems like he still has a major interest in what the Jazz are doing. I guess it's probably a long shot, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. There are signs there that, that could be his line of thinking,

All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Tue May 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Romoholic wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. We have one of the worst coaching staffs in the NBA and it's going to be very apparent this coming season. I would be willing to bet anything that we miss the playoffs by a wide margin this season and THEN we will be able to go on a proper head coaching search, like what should have been done after Coach Sloan left in the first place.

I also wonder if Sloan is always turning down these head coaching jobs because the can see the writing on the wall for Corbin and maybe wants to come home to coach the Jazz. He is at a ton of games and seems like he still has a major interest in what the Jazz are doing. I guess it's probably a long shot, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. There are signs there that, that could be his line of thinking,

Very interesting, Romo. I wouldn't immediately rule it out at all. Clearly Jerry has stayed interested and claims to still want to get back into coaching. But, you are right about the sorry state of the Jazz coaching staff right now. Horny was the only Jazz assistant remotely on the radar screens of other teams as someone capable of stepping up to head coach, and if I recall, Ty was interviewed several times and WAS NEVER OFFERED A JOB. Horny, on the other hand, knocked the ball out of the park in his first interview season with a traditionally well-run club and winning tradition. I'm sure that it didn't hurt his prospects that he also is a proven and stellar shooting coach, had a great career, (not journeyman-style like Corbin), and was an integral player in two championship runs with two HOFers. As you noted previously, the Jazz "loyalty to loyalty" got them into this Corbin mess in the first place, and now they have a new head coach caliber guy leaving their organization. I will pray the Millers get some balls and pull the plug on Corbin tomorrow. Not like anyone here expected much out of the Jazz next year anyway and no matter what way you want to spin it, this upcoming season is a re-building year. Why not do that with hiring the coach-of-the-future vs retaining Ty on a Marvin-Williamish mistake engagement?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Tue May 28, 2013 6:01 pm

PS. Suns GM on Horny: one of the reasons they hired him was "his ability to develop young players and get the most out of them."
OUCH!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MTJazz
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm

PS 2.

Oh yeah, I forgot other interesting Jazz coaching news. Sidney Lowe will be in court this week in North Carolina on that inconvenient tax evasion arrest last March. Looking super solid in Jazz coaching land...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Tue May 28, 2013 7:12 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

Very interesting, Romo. I wouldn't immediately rule it out at all. Clearly Jerry has stayed interested and claims to still want to get back into coaching. But, you are right about the sorry state of the Jazz coaching staff right now. Horny was the only Jazz assistant remotely on the radar screens of other teams as someone capable of stepping up to head coach, and if I recall, Ty was interviewed several times and WAS NEVER OFFERED A JOB. Horny, on the other hand, knocked the ball out of the park in his first interview season with a traditionally well-run club and winning tradition. I'm sure that it didn't hurt his prospects that he also is a proven and stellar shooting coach, had a great career, (not journeyman-style like Corbin), and was an integral player in two championship runs with two HOFers. As you noted previously, the Jazz "loyalty to loyalty" got them into this Corbin mess in the first place, and now they have a new head coach caliber guy leaving their organization. I will pray the Millers get some balls and pull the plug on Corbin tomorrow. Not like anyone here expected much out of the Jazz next year anyway and no matter what way you want to spin it, this upcoming season is a re-building year. Why not do that with hiring the coach-of-the-future vs retaining Ty on a Marvin-Williamish mistake engagement?

The one guy I would like most has said that he will not coach this season but could be talked into coming back next season if the right job come's up, Stan Vangundy is just the kind of coach the Jazz needs and with him looking for a team that is going to stand behind him I think they are a match made in heaven. I am pretty sure that Corbin just is not going to get the job done next season and now that Horny is going it is even going to be harder for him so I see the Jazz letting him go after the season and I am hoping that they look to Stan to fill the job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Agreed   Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 am

dongibby wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

The one guy I would like most has said that he will not coach this season but could be talked into coming back next season if the right job come's up, Stan Vangundy is just the kind of coach the Jazz needs and with him looking for a team that is going to stand behind him I think they are a match made in heaven. I am pretty sure that Corbin just is not going to get the job done next season and now that Horny is going it is even going to be harder for him so I see the Jazz letting him go after the season and I am hoping that they look to Stan to fill the job.

Good call Dongibby. I was thinking along these same lines. I think an added incentive in regards to recruiting Vangundy is the Jazz's loyalty to their coaches. If you're a quality coach like Vangundy, the Jazz organization with its young talented player base, combined with a front office which has shown it will remain loyal to a solid coach for as long as he wants to be here, has to have some pretty good appeal in todays rapid hire and fire environment within the NBA. Although, I still wish they would fire Corbin and beg Vangundy to change his mind for the upcoming season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 am

ptaz66 wrote:
dongibby wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

Good call Dongibby. I was thinking along these same lines. I think an added incentive in regards to recruiting Vangundy is the Jazz's loyalty to their coaches. If you're a quality coach like Vangundy, the Jazz organization with its young talented player base, combined with a front office which has shown it will remain loyal to a solid coach for as long as he wants to be here, has to have some pretty good appeal in todays rapid hire and fire environment within the NBA. Although, I still wish they would fire Corbin and beg Vangundy to change his mind for the upcoming season.

If for some way we got wiggins in next years draft Ty needs to be gone and i'm on board to give Stan van or his bro would work Jeff.

Last edited by Richardale on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:23 am

ptaz66 wrote:

One heralded rep oint for you sir.
Yea, definitely a selling point for SVG, hah. Man, that would be nice.....and so smart. Established winner and good with youth. I mean, he's everything this organization needs, and this team is perfect for him to come back to.

Not to mention, we'd finally get a solid smart coach AND a character to enjoy as well, ala Frank Layden.
What a wonderful marriage that would be........ pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zero24gravity
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:03 pm

The perfect young coach for the Jazz IMO, who Dennis Lindsey could have helped real in, was Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer. He has a ton of great head coach assisting under Pops. But alas, while the Jazz were sitting on their hands, giving Ty another shot, the Hawks went out and stole him away from the Spurs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:04 am

Romoholic wrote:

Chi-ching!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865581047/Utah-Jazz-have-talked-to-Jerry-Sloan-about-coming-back-to-the-organization.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:16 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Chi-ching!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865581047/Utah-Jazz-have-talked-to-Jerry-Sloan-about-coming-back-to-the-organization.html

Just shows they're not that happy with whats going on inside the team and is looking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dongibby
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:39 am

Richardale wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Chi-ching!

Just shows they're not that happy with whats going on inside the team and is looking.

I bet Corbin is not happy hearing this kind of talk but as a Jazz Fan it is good new's I have to say, I think anything that get's this team back to thinking old time Jazz style of hard nose basketball can only be a good thing. This group of Kanter, Favor's, Hayward, Burks, DC and Even's I think fit's well into a Sloan type of system it will be very interesting to see how things work out in the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 am

dongibby wrote:
Richardale wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Chi-ching!

I bet Corbin is not happy hearing this kind of talk but as a Jazz Fan it is good new's I have to say, I think anything that get's this team back to thinking old time Jazz style of hard nose basketball can only be a good thing. This group of Kanter, Favor's, Hayward, Burks, DC and Even's I think fit's well into a Sloan type of system it will be very interesting to see how things work out in the end.

Sloan will not take Tys spot he'll quit first. But i can see Sloan taking over Jeffs old spot plus more with this team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardale
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:19 am

Richardale wrote:
dongibby wrote:
Richardale wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Chi-ching!

Sloan will not take Tys spot he'll quit first. But i can see Sloan taking over Jeffs old spot plus more with this team.

He'll push Ty to coach his arse off from behind locked doors. More training you might say?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position   

Back to top Go down

Hornacek Interviewing for 76ers Head Coaching Position
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2