Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Sloan comeback? Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sloan comeback?

Go down 
+5
dongibby
MTJazz
The Voice of Reason
Romoholic
zero24gravity
9 posters
AuthorMessage
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyTue May 22, 2012 9:07 pm

I didn't know whether to post this here, or in the "other NBA" section, but Jerry will always be the "Jazz' coach in my eyes so I chose here.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54163647-87/sloan-coach-jazz-nba.html.csp

Orlando and Charlotte have been in contact with Jerry.

Jerry on the Magic:
"I’m sure a lot of people are interested. But I really don’t know what the parameters are going to be or what’s going on. I guess we’ll wait and see what happens."

Sloan knows the Magic "have a lot of different things to consider" while searching for their new coach.

Jerry on the Bobcats:
According to Sloan, undertaking such a massive rebuilding job would not prevent him from considering Charlotte.

"Obviously, you probably wouldn’t win [a championship] right off the bat," he said. "But sometimes it’s not all about starting on top."
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:31 am

It would be great to see Sloan coaching again. I think taking a season and a half off might have re energized him. I just hope he doesn't go to one of our rivals.

I wonder if he will bring Phil with him when he does come back?
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 9:48 am

A lot of people (on other message boards, blogs, articles) are saying he should just stay retired and enjoy his legacy rather than tainting it.

However, I think the man has earned the right to do whatever the heck he wants to do.
I would sure hate to see him go to the "other" LA team that is covered by our filters....that would be like seeing your girlfriend dump you and start dating your enemy.

I think Jerry has still got it and could still coach under the right circumstances... like he said though, it would have to be a good situation...I would hate to see him in a situation where the players wanted freedom and no accountability and as a result caused a mutiny on the ship...unfortunately, there are not many organizations that are willing to support a coach and hold the players accountable, in my opinion.

Honestly, I don't ever see Jerry coaching in the NBA again for those reasons. However, I would LOVE to see him coach again, if he wanted to.
I would love to see him coach in college....

Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:12 am

I think Charlotte would be a horrible fit. Jerry doesn't suffer fools well and hard to argue that MJ isn't one of the biggest fool owners in the league.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:21 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
A lot of people (on other message boards, blogs, articles) are saying he should just stay retired and enjoy his legacy rather than tainting it.

However, I think the man has earned the right to do whatever the heck he wants to do.
I would sure hate to see him go to the "other" LA team that is covered by our filters....that would be like seeing your girlfriend dump you and start dating your enemy.

I think Jerry has still got it and could still coach under the right circumstances... like he said though, it would have to be a good situation...I would hate to see him in a situation where the players wanted freedom and no accountability and as a result caused a mutiny on the ship...unfortunately, there are not many organizations that are willing to support a coach and hold the players accountable, in my opinion.

Honestly, I don't ever see Jerry coaching in the NBA again for those reasons. However, I would LOVE to see him coach again, if he wanted to.
I would love to see him coach in college....

I just don't see Jerry Sloan coaching the Magic if they are not willing to stand behind Vangundy they sure would not do it for Sloan, that would be the worst place Sloan could go to IMO. One thing is the Jazz are not like all of the other NBA team's in how they like to run things this is a very different league then when Sloan first became a head coach that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 12:09 pm

I'd love to see Jerry back in the league and agree, he should be looked at as can do whatever the heck he wants to.

Personally, and despite Jordan, I'd like to see Jerry go to Charlotte. Instead of trying desperately to win a championship, taking an obscenely young team and teach them how to play the correct way. Get them fundamentals, get them to at least know what they should do.
I'd like to see it, all those young guys and Jerry teaching.
Back to top Go down
shelley_utahjazzfan
Rookie
shelley_utahjazzfan

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 7:59 pm

He already tainted it by quitting in the middle of the season.

Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm

OR....he highlighted it by basically saying I will do whatever the hell I want whenever the hell I want to. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 12:05 am

shelley_utahjazzfan wrote:

How do you figure?

He got tired of a Deron's bullshit! He was a coach that wouldn't tolerate having a player call the shots and decided he had enough. It does nothing to taint what he did as a head coach!
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 8:38 am

Nahhhhhh, this just seems to be fodder for Jerry "haters"......He not only gave, what, 25 years to the organization, but he also told them he only wanted to sign 1 year contracts and would quit whenever he felt like the time was right. They knew that. Which is also why management didn't have a problem with it, other than trying to change his mind.
Back to top Go down
shelley_utahjazzfan
Rookie
shelley_utahjazzfan

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Nice responses, but I saw it as a huge 2 year old hissy fit.
It ain't a great resume enhancer to quit before the end of a season, leaving the Jazz organization with little time and few option for quick replacement.
Has any other NBA coach ever done that?
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 9:07 pm

[quote="shelley_utahjazzfan"]Nice responses, but I saw it as a huge 2 year old hissy fit.
It ain't a great resume enhancer to quit before the end of a season, leaving the Jazz organization with little time and few option for quick replacement.
Has any other NBA coach ever done that?[/quote]

Stan VanGundy 2005
Mike D'Antoni 2012

Bobby Petrino NFL

.... just off the top of my head
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:22 am

Shelley hater! geek Wink
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:14 am

Funny that the haters spent years demanding that he be fired immediately for every little problem and then he quits and they hate on him some more because they think he did did that wrong too.

as they say...

Sloan comeback? Epic_haters_gonna_hate_memes_640_37
Back to top Go down
shelley_utahjazzfan
Rookie
shelley_utahjazzfan

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptySat May 26, 2012 1:19 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Funny that the haters spent years demanding that he be fired immediately for every little problem and then he quits and they hate on him some more because they think he did did that wrong too.

as they say...

Sloan comeback? Epic_haters_gonna_hate_memes_640_37

He has a little weenus! Not Jerry...that chimp.

I never demanded Jerry be fired, you big exaggerator. I always thought he should have been replaced long ago and not with his staff...unless it was Horny.

Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? EmptySat May 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Looks like Sloan was interviewed by MJ in Utah about the Bobcats job:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765578675/Jerry-Sloan-interviews-for-Bobcats-coaching-job-with-Michael-Jordan-in-Utah.html

The story also makes mention of the Clippers being a potential spot for Jerry if they get rid of DelNegro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sloan comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloan comeback?   Sloan comeback? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sloan comeback?
Page 1 of 1