Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  say hello to Kevin Murphy Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

say hello to Kevin Murphy

Go down 
+6
Mutangclan
Romoholic
Trollificus
Richardale
TheMagnus
MTJazz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

say hello to Kevin Murphy Empty
PostSubject: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 pm

I don't know a thing about this guy but based on the first link I looked like he is a shooter (surprise) with a first quick step, Tennessee Tech. 6'6", 195 lbs. Had the highest scoring game night in D1 this year (51 pts).

http://www.nba.com/draft/2012/prospects/kevin-murphy/

Anyone else have beta?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Repost...

Quote :

DX All-Portsmouth Invitational Tournament Team
April 16, 2012
Perhaps the most impressive individual performer over the course of the PIT, particularly from a long-term perspective, Kevin Murphy's size (he measured 6-6 barefoot) and ability to score in a variety of ways from all over the court stood out all week long. Shooting the ball with range both off the catch and off the dribble, the Tennessee Tech product was consistently able to create separation with his dribble in one-on-one situations, knock down his spot-up jump shots, and utilize his smooth shooting mechanics to convert a number of contested shots in impressive fashion.

After emerging as one of the top scorers in college basketball this season, many were interested in seeing how Murphy would fare against BCS-level competition once outside the Ohio Valley Conference. Murphy made it clear at Portsmouth that he has elite scoring potential regardless of who he's matching up, even if he still has a ways to go to fully harness his talent.

The prolific scorer certainly isn't known for his passing ability, but he did show the ability to find the open man when the defenders here began to make an effort to keep him out of the lane and did not force any more shots than any of the other wings in attendance. He's a little bit raw in terms of his knowledge of the game and will have a little bit steeper of a transition to make than most seniors after playing on a team that did not win that many games the past four years. With that said, not many in his class boast the same upside, which could enable him to make a Marshon Brooks-esqe ascension up draft boards if he continues to perform well in private workouts over the next two months.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Murphy-17023/

Chad Ford wrote:

June 25 Update: The Pistons drafting at No. 44 could really use another shooter at the wings. Murphy was one of the best scorers in college basketball, shooting 42 percent from beyond the arc.

May 24 Update: NBA scouts are starting to give a closer look to Tennessee Tech swingman Kevin Murphy. Murphy is averaging an impressive 22 ppg, shooting 45 percent from 3 and averaging more than five rebounds per game.

His 50-point outburst versus SIU Edwardsville a few weeks ago was one of the best scoring performances of the season. Murphy looks a bit like a Rip Hamilton sort of player with much deeper range. He's got a smooth athleticism that allows him to glide to the basket. He can score off the dribble, has a sick midrange game and shows both quickness and athleticism.

His lack of strength is an issue. So is the fact that he struggled mightily in Tennessee Tech's three biggest games of the season, against Miami, West Virginia and Murray State.

While he's not a lock to be drafted, the more teams scout him, the more they believe he might be a legit early second-round sleeper.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Sorry, missed this in the other thread. Who knows, maybe the Jazz brain trust just found the next Wes Matthews. Dude sounds like he is a slick shooter, hopefully he can make the roster and push Burks. I'm guessing that playing on a small stage on a losing team might have helped keep him below radar. Anyone have a clue if the Jazz worked him out?
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:40 pm

I just hope he's more Mo Williams and less Mo Almond.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Heard him interviewed on 700. Sounded okay. Lived in the same house his whole life (!!), married, doesn't think playing the Bulls will be too much different than playing the Salukis.

HE says his best skill is the mid-range game, and while I know everyone wants to "stretch the floor, stretch the floor, stretch the floor!", that's a pretty important, and, more importantly, pretty RARE skill in today's NBA. The 3 pointer isn't the ONLY option to punish teams for packing it in against a good front line. I see a lot of open 15-18 footers and a lot of guys who can hit that shot sometimes.

If the kid can hit 'em all the time, he'll be valuable.

Have not heard anywhere that he's a strong defender, or rebounder, or especially strong at all...fortunately, most of that stuff can be learned, or achieved through sheer effort.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Trollificus wrote:
Heard him interviewed on 700. Sounded okay. Lived in the same house his whole life (!!), married, doesn't think playing the Bulls will be too much different than playing the Salukis.

HE says his best skill is the mid-range game, and while I know everyone wants to "stretch the floor, stretch the floor, stretch the floor!", that's a pretty important, and, more importantly, pretty RARE skill in today's NBA. The 3 pointer isn't the ONLY option to punish teams for packing it in against a good front line. I see a lot of open 15-18 footers and a lot of guys who can hit that shot sometimes.

Have not heard anywhere that he's a strong defender, or rebounder, or especially strong at all...fortunately, most of that stuff can be learned, or achieved through sheer effort.

From what I have seen of the kid he should get playing time from the word go. He could be a good one for us. It's always a crap shot on the second round, but he looks pretty good.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Trollificus wrote:

True words. I am one of those screaming "stretch the floor" given the Jazz being 28th in 3-pt field goal shooting at a time when 8 of the top 10 teams in the league 3-pt% had good playoff runs. It's part of the new NBA success game and if you don't got it, then, well, you better have an anecdote, like tough wing defenders. How many games did you watch this last season where either the other team ran away with a win from an otherwise scrappy Jazz effort because, well, they hit the damn 3's or worse, the Jazz not able to close the gap because they were banging their's off the back of the rim? Not answering. That said, I think a potent mid-range game would go a long way to solving some Jazz woes, (read: not post-up or dribble drive scoring), ala what Horny brought to the mix, (the ultimate catch-and-shoot mid-range man). All I can say is I hope some 47 pick Mill-Mo juice is in the kid's system. Will be interesting to see how he rolls in summer league, when Almond definitely showed he was not going to be money in the Jazz bank.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:26 pm

MTJazz wrote:

True words. I am one of those screaming "stretch the floor" given the Jazz being 28th in 3-pt field goal shooting at a time when 8 of the top 10 teams in the league 3-pt% had good playoff runs. It's part of the new NBA success game and if you don't got it, then, well, you better have an anecdote, like tough wing defenders. How many games did you watch this last season where either the other team ran away with a win from an otherwise scrappy Jazz effort because, well, they hit the damn 3's or worse, the Jazz not able to close the gap because they were banging their's off the back of the rim? Not answering. That said, I think a potent mid-range game would go a long way to solving some Jazz woes, (read: not post-up or dribble drive scoring), ala what Horny brought to the mix, (the ultimate catch-and-shoot mid-range man). All I can say is I hope some 47 pick Mill-Mo juice is in the kid's system. Will be interesting to see how he rolls in summer league, when Almond definitely showed he was not going to be money in the Jazz bank.

*sigh* No, you are right about the Jazz needing 3pt shooters and how the lack thereof hurt 'em last year. I was just pointing out what a good thing that mid-range shooting is.

Still something we need to address, and we did, somewhat, with Mo. Murphy thinks he can hit the NBA 3, but today I expect he thinks he can do anything. lol.

That's why we need Korver back, right?
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Trollificus wrote:

Actually read it in a draft article, he actually is strong. Is only 185lbs but benches 300lbs. So his great mid-range game also is bringing some strong wing play/defense.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

Actually read it in a draft article, he actually is strong. Is only 185lbs but benches 300lbs. So his great mid-range game also is bringing some strong wing play/defense.

Hello Mr. Murphy! I think I've already said this on another thread, but I am really pleased with this pick. I knew nothing of Mr M before the draft, but, in the little bit of research I've done I think he should have gone very early in the 2nd round. The kid shot over 40% from behind the (college) 3pt arc. It's great that he can hit them-- and if he thinks his mid-range game is his best asset, I'll take it. His attitude seems great-- it looks like he understands he's going to need to put in a lot of work just to play in the NBA, let alone have the chance to put up 50 like he did against Souther Illinois U.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Saint Louis wrote:

Hello Mr. Murphy! I think I've already said this on another thread, but I am really pleased with this pick. I knew nothing of Mr M before the draft, but, in the little bit of research I've done I think he should have gone very early in the 2nd round. The kid shot over 40% from behind the (college) 3pt arc. It's great that he can hit them-- and if he thinks his mid-range game is his best asset, I'll take it. His attitude seems great-- it looks like he understands he's going to need to put in a lot of work just to play in the NBA, let alone have the chance to put up 50 like he did against Souther Illinois U.

And think of the concentration involved in scoring 50 against a team whose mascot is a Saluki!!

Murphy: They're the Southern Illinois...what? Sookis?
Teammate: Salukis. It's a dog.
Murphy: A dog? What kinda dog is a Saluki?
Teammate: Uh. I dunno. An egyptian dog?
Murphy: You shit. "egyptian dog". Right.
Teammate: No, really man. Here, got a picture in the program.
Murphy: Damn. That is one gay-ass lookin' dog.
Teammate: Oh yeah.
Murphy: Their mascot dress up like one o' those?
Teammate: Naw, man. Couldn't make him do it.
Murphy: LOL

I mean, it would distract ME:

say hello to Kevin Murphy Saluki-1%20year-White-1184090885
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:59 am

Yahoo Draft Grade:

Utah Jazz

Additions: Kevin Murphy

Grade: B

Someone who can shoot, picked up in the low 40s? Always worth your time. This guy looks a lot smoother than, say, Quincy Lewis. Though we're sorry for bringing that up, Jazz fans.

If Murphy plays even a scintilla of efficient NBA basketball in 2012-13, then this pick will have been a winner.

.....not bad for only having the 47th pick. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 7:59 am

Trollificus wrote:
MTJazz wrote:

*sigh* No, you are right about the Jazz needing 3pt shooters and how the lack thereof hurt 'em last year. I was just pointing out what a good thing that mid-range shooting is.

Still something we need to address, and we did, somewhat, with Mo. Murphy thinks he can hit the NBA 3, but today I expect he thinks he can do anything. lol.

That's why we need Korver back, right?

Hows this for needing 3pt shooting desperately: Of the top 10 3pt shooting teams in the league last year, 8 of them made the playoffs.
(We need Murphy to be a sniper, Hayward to do what we feel he can, and Burks to come alive. Also probably need Danny Green or Ryan Anderson.)
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Raja Bell Close To Buyout With Jazz
July 8 at 6:46pm CST By Ryan Raroque
Brian T. Smith of The Salt Lake Tribune tweets that Raja Bell is on the verge of a buyout with the Jazz. The 6'5'' shooting guard averaged 6.4 PPG and shot 39.1% from three point range in 34 games last season.

Now with a true shooter on the team its time to rid ourselves of Bell!
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 pm

What's the latest on Murphy? How's it going?
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 8:25 am

Saint Louis wrote:

He looked good. He looked like he can indeed shoot and score. Has a nice 3pt shot, and I would be 100% shocked if he wasn't signed. He played as well as anyone in Summer League, and once he gets used to the speed, and some experience, he could be a nice addition. So far....
Back to top Go down
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Jazz Staple   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 am

Trollificus wrote:

While all of us remember Horny for his 3-point shooting, he was equally adept at coming off screens, working the base-line, curling to the elbow or flairing out for mid-range jumpers. Later, Harpring too made a living at this as well, although in my opinion Horny was the best at it. With Murphy's mid-range game he could make an immediate impact coming off screens while working on the other aspects of his game.

Rip Hamilton is current player whose made a career of constantly moving, coming off screens and knocking down mid-range shots on a really consistant basis. His name has come up from time to time in our discussions on these boards, showing these skills are still very much in demand. I think if Murphy understands what he does well, watches, learns from, and emulates, the veterans in the league who also do these things well, then works to turn his weaknesses into strengths, he'll turn out to be another solid pick.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:

He looked good. He looked like he can indeed shoot and score. Has a nice 3pt shot, and I would be 100% shocked if he wasn't signed. He played as well as anyone in Summer League, and once he gets used to the speed, and some experience, he could be a nice addition. So far....

I really liked what I seen from Murphy in summer league play and it looks like the Jazz has done a good job with the second round pick again, the Kid can put the ball in the hole no doubt about it.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 6:13 pm

dongibby wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:

I really liked what I seen from Murphy in summer league play and it looks like the Jazz has done a good job with the second round pick again, the Kid can put the ball in the hole no doubt about it.

It looks like KOC may have hit on a second round pick again. Lets hope so anyway.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: say hello to Kevin Murphy   say hello to Kevin Murphy Empty

Back to top Go down

say hello to Kevin Murphy
Page 1 of 1