Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  updated depth chart:  My guess Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

updated depth chart: My guess

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
therawns
Starter

updated depth chart:  My guess Empty
PostSubject: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:36 pm

williams/watson/tinsley
Hayward/Burks/Murphy/Bell (im telling him to stay away, but not releasing him)
Wiliams/Hayward/millsap/Carroll
Favors/Millsap/Evans
Jefferson/Kanter/Favors

I see 1 small upgrade and 1 big upgrade. The small upgrade is williams over harris. I am saying that with the 2nd half of harris' season as the barometer. I think Harris is an average starting PG. I would say Williams is an above average PG, probably around the 10-12 range.

The big improvement is Marvin Williams over Josh Howard and CJ Miles. Now, I see Carroll in his natural spot of outside of the rotation, but Utah does not hesitate, if they have to use him. The Jazz have 14 players, and they always want to keep 1 spot open for an emergency signing or trade acquisition.

I keep Bell on the roster, but away from the team because they can use him as a trade asset like they used Gordon Giricek to get Korver. With the GS pick and their own pick, i can very easily see a trade very similar. Amnestying him makes very little sense, as they are not close to the tax limit, and it gives them no more cap flexibility. In fact amnestying him, takes flexibility away in trades.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Close, but not quite Very Happy

williams/watson/tinsley
Burks/Hayward/Murphy/Bell (im telling him to stay away, but not releasing him)
Hayward/Wiliams/millsap/Carroll
Favors/Millsap/Evans
Jefferson/Kanter/Favors

Jefferson/Favors/Wiliams/Hayward/PG is a pretty long lineup.

Favors/Millsap/Evans/Burks/PG is pretty athletic...would love to see Burks try the 1 spot, at least bringing the ball up...not sure if we have the extra ballhandlers to run a motion offense where the PG doesn't have to orchestrate things. (oooh! By all accounts, Murphy has good handles!)

Good team but we've still only got 4 bigs, and only 3 of them are really big. I'd like to replace Bell with a large body of some kind*.

*-nobody suggest getting a rhinoceros or a bear**. You know what I mean, smartasses. A large human, basketball-playing body. Or even a large human 6-foul-giving body.

**-although...in terms of cap flexibility and/or defensive play...hmmm. Does the CBA specify "humans" anywhere in it?

Last edited by Trollificus on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:55 pm

therawns wrote:
williams/watson/tinsley
Hayward/Burks/Murphy/Bell (im telling him to stay away, but not releasing him)
Wiliams/Hayward/millsap/Carroll
Favors/Millsap/Evans
Jefferson/Kanter/Favors

I see 1 small upgrade and 1 big upgrade. The small upgrade is williams over harris. I am saying that with the 2nd half of harris' season as the barometer. I think Harris is an average starting PG. I would say Williams is an above average PG, probably around the 10-12 range.

The big improvement is Marvin Williams over Josh Howard and CJ Miles. Now, I see Carroll in his natural spot of outside of the rotation, but Utah does not hesitate, if they have to use him. The Jazz have 14 players, and they always want to keep 1 spot open for an emergency signing or trade acquisition.

I keep Bell on the roster, but away from the team because they can use him as a trade asset like they used Gordon Giricek to get Korver. With the GS pick and their own pick, i can very easily see a trade very similar. Amnestying him makes very little sense, as they are not close to the tax limit, and it gives them no more cap flexibility. In fact amnestying him, takes flexibility away in trades.

I heard O'Conner talking about Hayward being the starter over Marvin Williams and Burks being the starting 2 guard on the sport's talk show on 1280 I guess right after the trade was made, I am not so sure Marvin will be better for the Jazz than Josh Howard would be. Josh is a better defender and might have the better shot out of the two of them when he is healthy and injure free.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Trollificus wrote:

williams/watson/tinsley
Favors/Millsap/Evans
Jefferson/Kanter/Favors

Favors/Millsap/Evans/Burks/PG is pretty athletic...would love to see Burks try the 1 spot, at least bringing the ball up...not sure if we have the extra ballhandlers to run a motion offense where the PG doesn't have to orchestrate things. (oooh! By all accounts, Murphy has good handles!)

Good team but we've still only got 4 bigs, and only 3 of them are really big. I'd like to replace Bell with a large body of some kind*.

*-nobody suggest getting a rhinoceros or a bear**. You know what I mean, smartasses. A large human, basketball-playing body. Or even a large human 6-foul-giving body.

**-although...in terms of cap flexibility and/or defensive play...hmmm. Does the CBA specify "humans" anywhere in it?

The Sun's are looking for guys that can do the kind of thing's that Bell bring's to the floor and when he played for them they really liked him maybe the Jazz could trade him for Robin Lopez he fits the big body mold the Jazz need.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm

dongibby wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

williams/watson/tinsley
Favors/Millsap/Evans
Jefferson/Kanter/Favors

The Sun's are looking for guys that can do the kind of thing's that Bell bring's to the floor and when he played for them they really liked him maybe the Jazz could trade him for Robin Lopez he fits the big body mold the Jazz need.

i disagree. I think jefferson/kanter/favors is fine. This aint the 80's or 90's. How many teams actually start what we would call a center?

Let me elaborate on bell for a second. He will probably be bought out if traded. He has absolutely no trade value. However, in trades you have to match salaries. An example of what im talking about is this, and this is totally hypothetical.

The Jazz start to battle for home court advantage and its getting close to the deadline, or the jazz are just buyers. New Orleans will be sellers as great as Davis might be. The Jazz could swing Tinsley/Watson, Bell and a their own first round pick for Jarrett Jack. That is a trade that Bell is used in, but if hes amnestied, they cant use his salary. Not saying the jazz or hornets do this, but this explains a way bell could be used. gordon giricek was soon bought out by philly, they just needed him to match the salary of Korver, but they got a pick out of it, which is why they did it. Same idea with bell as a salary filler.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm

dongibby wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

williams/watson/tinsley
Favors/Millsap/Evans
Jefferson/Kanter/Favors

i disagree. I think jefferson/kanter/favors is fine. This aint the 80's or 90's. How many teams actually start what we would call a center?

Let me elaborate on bell for a second. He will probably be bought out if traded. He has absolutely no trade value. However, in trades you have to match salaries. An example of what im talking about is this, and this is totally hypothetical.

The Jazz start to battle for home court advantage and its getting close to the deadline, or the jazz are just buyers. New Orleans will be sellers as great as Davis might be. The Jazz could swing Tinsley/Watson, Bell and a their own first round pick for Jarrett Jack. That is a trade that Bell is used in, but if hes amnestied, they cant use his salary. Not saying the jazz or hornets do this, but this explains a way bell could be used. gordon giricek was soon bought out by philly, they just needed him to match the salary of Korver, but they got a pick out of it, which is why they did it. Same idea with bell as a salary filler.
Back to top Go down
Tarakaan
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Trollificus wrote:
Good team but we've still only got 4 bigs, and only 3 of them are really big.

Williams (Ma. not Mo.) is 6'9 240, and is not only the 3 our line up was missing, but also the stretch 4. We now have five bigs, three who can play the 5 (Jefferson, Favors, Kanter) and two who can play the 3 (Millsap, Ma. Williams). That's versatility! That doesn't even include Evans.

So not only have we got bigger, upgraded at the point, but also gained (statistically) our teams two best 3pt% shooters, one of whom is a big who can provide something that none of our existing bigs could reliably (Millsap Vs Miami excepted).

That is fine work by KOC in my book!
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Tarakaan wrote:
Trollificus wrote:
Good team but we've still only got 4 bigs, and only 3 of them are really big.

Williams (Ma. not Mo.) is 6'9 240, and is not only the 3 our line up was missing, but also the stretch 4. We now have five bigs, three who can play the 5 (Jefferson, Favors, Kanter) and two who can play the 3 (Millsap, Ma. Williams). That's versatility! That doesn't even include Evans.

So not only have we got bigger, upgraded at the point, but also gained (statistically) our teams two best 3pt% shooters, one of whom is a big who can provide something that none of our existing bigs could reliably (Millsap Vs Miami excepted).

That is fine work by KOC in my book!

Cool. I didn't realize Wms was that big.

And I wasn't worried about the C position but the 4. Favors can play it, and Millsap, though undersized, has certainly shown he can play it. Evans? At 190 or so? Nah. So Millsap gets hurt and Favors gets in foul trouble...We're not going to win with Kanter at the 4. Or Evans. And we didn't have anybody else.

But if Williams is that big, he'd be a nice emergency fill-in, so he really does help there. But we were WAAAY short-handed at the 4, and KOC knew it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: updated depth chart: My guess   updated depth chart:  My guess Empty

Back to top Go down

updated depth chart: My guess
Page 1 of 1