Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... Empty
PostSubject: Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...   Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 pm

...maybe. Probably.

If so, here's how:

1) Better PG play. Yeah, yeah, everybody has to be realistic about Mo. Not a superstar. But when people say he's only a slight upgrade, they're overlooking that you don't entirely measure a point guards' play by his stats but by how well the team plays with him. I think it entirely possible that whatever the stats say, Mo's game will benefit other players more than Devin's ever did. And remember, most of Devin's greatest hits were on one-man breaks where the basket could have been scored by any other breaking player if Devin ever passed the ball on the break. Which he never, ever, did.

2) Hayward, Favors, Burks, Kanter. This is the "prove it" year for all these guys. They're either players the Jazz can build around (sorry, going forward this is not going to be a Millsap, Jefferson, Williams team. And good thing) or they're not. No more "learning curve" and "getting stronger", or "potential", they play winning ball this year, they beat their opponents individually, or KOC will change direction. The good news is, they're all in position to improve dramatically. Favors and Hayward were a revelation last year, good talents, now they need to move into actual "top echelon in the NBA" status. Burks needed the experience, and Kanter needed it even more. Kanter went from some kind of U-17 Euro ball to the NBA with very little in the way of coaching or competitive play in between. He'll be better.

2) Minus CJ? Minus Blake Ahem? Minus Rahjongg Bell? Saynomore.

2) Despite all the minuses, the Jazz will actually benefit from continuity (as they always have). I like the fact they're hanging on to Al Jeff and Millsap.

2) Front Line Advantage: All weaknesses and limitations aside, Paul and Al are both fine players and good guys and give us an advantage most nights. With Favors rotating in, not many 4/5 combos will be more productive for 96 minutes. Whatever our hopes are for Mo and Marvin to improve our 3-pt shooting, however Ginobili-like Hayward can become*, our real, talent-based superiority is on the front line.

2) Corbin needs to show something. He needs to use these guys to be more productive than they would be if they just met up in a gym somewhere. And he MIGHT. If he does, the Jazz improve, because he hasn't exactly geniused** us to too many wins.

*-oh, I went there...
**-yeah, it's totally a verb. Like "incented" and "efforted".
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...   Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:32 pm

Have the Jazz improved??? Hell yea. They have essentially added and filled the holes they needed to address. I just can't believe KOC did it so quickly, or really at all....we never see this!!

-- Two top 20 3pts shooters
-- SF they needed but who also rebounds and can play the 4.
-- They added a SF who is in a contract year and through no fault of his own was a another way to high lotto pick, was ridiculed for not being a star and desperately needs a change of scenery. History tells us, thats the one thing that can work.
-- A better passer, shooter, mid range, and leader for a starting PG
-- Al had best season of his career last year without 3pt shooters and outside threats. What do you think happens now with these two added???
-- A big that this team needed, so that we now have 5 PFs and 3 Centers.
-- Trading for Marv, it ASSURED Josh Howard ANNDDDDDD CJ MILES ARE GONE!!! Woohoo!!!
-- No big FA's to go after this year, so did what he could.
-- Still have GS lottery pick for (hopefully) franchise PG
-- Financially, flexibility stayed exactly the same so that 2013 is going to still be huge.
-- By sticking together, this team was going to improve internally, young guys were a year older, continuity etc. Adding the skills we did, this team competes for better than 7th/8th like last year; this team competes for 5th, 6th and still one more trade/signing coming....... cheers

Last edited by Mutangclan on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...   Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Hells yeah!!

Also, I left out "Versatility" and "length". That was going to be point #...ah...2.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...   Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Trollificus wrote:
Hells yeah!!

Also, I left out "Versatility" and "length". That was going to be point #...ah...2.

By the way Troll, we both wanted Ryan Anderson. But we just got a guy that is the same exact size, probably quicker, both shot 39% on 3's last year, Marvin can play the SF or PF though and we got our guy for cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...   Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Trollificus wrote:
Hells yeah!!

By the way Troll, we both wanted Ryan Anderson. But we just got a guy that is the same exact size, probably quicker, both shot 39% on 3's last year, Marvin can play the SF or PF though and we got our guy for cheaper.

And remember, he was just a #47 pick*!! sunny

*-do NOT think of him as a guy drafted ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams. That will spoil all the fun.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Yeah he was drafted behind Andrew Boget. That all we need to know.   Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 8:27 pm

[quote="Trollificus"][quote="Mutangclan"]
Trollificus wrote:
Hells yeah!!

And remember, he was just a #47 pick*!! sunny

*-do NOT think of him as a guy drafted ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams. That will spoil all the fun.
Back to top Go down
vryadli
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...   Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:49 pm

I don't believe in "prove it" seasons. Basketball game less than any other is about efforts.

Most and long (for 4-6 years) impoving players are players with strong and critical brain i.e. with non-bascetball IQ. At first 1-2 season such a brain can even be a handicap (or a detriment?), but.

So I believe that Hayard will improve significately. Ultimately not to Manu level, but all way to Hornacheck level.

I don't see any significant improvent of Kanter. It would take exceptionally clever and cunnig brain? a lot of calculations to play so that his stron qualiyies wil cover his shortages. Looks like he calculate nothing of the sort for whole season, just get in better shape - and it is short way. Burk have somewhat more improvent inside, but still not too much.

So, two main improvements are Mo and Haywrad. Which will translate (short of miracle) into 5-10 extra wins, maybe second round in play off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...   Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative... Empty

Back to top Go down

Jazz improved? I respond with an authoritative...
Page 1 of 1