Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?

Go down 
+6
MTJazz
TheMagnus
Mutangclan
zero24gravity
thejazzkickazz
The Voice of Reason
10 posters
AuthorMessage
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? Empty
PostSubject: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:20 pm

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/02/06/sheridan-al-jefferson-to-spurs/

Quote :
The NBA trade deadline journalism racket is a tricky minefield to navigate. The business is driven by rumors, many of which are founded in truth, others of which are utterly fictitious.

Distinguishing between the two differentiates the good basketball Web sites from the bad sites.

But figuring out who is available is not rocket science if you speak to the right people, and I speak to a lot of plugged-in people on a regular basis.

Here is the latest they are telling me: The San Antonio Spurs are the front-runners to land Al Jefferson in a trade with the Utah Jazz – and they are frontrunners like Secretariat was in the 1973 Belmont Stakes.

Here’s why, followed by a how.

“Those teams are practically incestuous, they are on such good terms internally,” one NBA source told me Wednesday.

Indeed, Spurs assistant general manager Scott Layden left Utah prior to this season after spending several seasons as an assistant coach for the Jazz and joined R.C. Buford’s staff in San Antonio’s secrecy vault front office. Also, former Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey is now doing the legwork for Utah’s grand pooh-bah, Kevin O’Connor.

The Jazz do not want to lose Jefferson for nothing when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer, and they have a former overall No. 3 pick, Enes Kanter, ready to step in and fill the void that would be left by Jefferson’s departure.

Yes, Jefferson makes them a better playoff team. But no, the Jazz are not fooling themselves into believing they are championship material at this point.

And if Dwight Howard is not available on the free agent market this summer, Jefferson immediately becomes the No. 1 center available.

So the time for the Jazz to move him is now, and the team with the biggest need for an upgrade at center is the Spurs. The inability to protect the rim was one of the prime reasons for their collapse in last year’s Western Conference finals when they had won 20 in a row and had a 2-0 lead on the Thunder, only to lose the next four.

Next: The Jazz need a point guard, and the Spurs have two of them not named Tony Parker. So you can expect Patty Mills (who Lindsey is familiar with and fond of) to be the preferable choice over Nando de Colo.

The Jazz also need some value coming back in this trade, and the Spurs have one last Eurostash asset in Erazem Lorbek, who has been profiled on this site by writer A.J. Mitnick.

Presumably they’d also ask for Tiago Splitter, because somebody would need to back up Kanter, and because Splitter is having an improved season in the year his contract expires – meaning Utah would not be taking on any long-term financial obligation.

San Antonio throws in Stephen Jackson for salary-matching purposes (almost an exact match), and voila. Captain Jack will love Salt Lake City, hunh?

I am not sure that this is anything more than mere speculation on Sheridan's part. The fact that the Jazz and Spurs recently swapped personnel gives it a little teeth, I guess.
Interesting thoughts, although I am not sold on it at all...just throwing it out there.
Back to top Go down
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that this article was written by someone in the Spurs front office, then passed on to Sheridan along with 20 crisp Benjamins. What a pile of horse hockey.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:47 pm

thejazzkickazz wrote:
I'm pretty sure that this article was written by someone in the Spurs front office, then passed on to Sheridan along with 20 crisp Benjamins. What a pile of horse hockey.

There are several things wrong with this article. I won't even begin to enumerate them at this point. Having said that...there are one or two elements that raise an eyebrow for half a second.
Like I said, I don't believe this article, but I thought I would throw it out there for general discussion.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 pm

I was reading this thinking, "hmmm.... there seems to be validity to this", and then I heard about S.Jackson coming to Utah .... yikes, not in a million years. Unless Utah gives them Raja & pays Jackson to stay home, just like the team has been doing Bell all year. Thing is, without him (or Parker, Manu, Timmy) there's no way to get contracts to match.

Also, the Jazz can't just take on a 3 for 1 swap. They can only have 15 guys on the roster.

Splitter, Mills & Jackson (+ Erazem Lorbek?)
for
Jefferson, Bell & Murphy

.... would still work, but like I said, Jackson in Utah is a joke.

Trade Machine says it doesn't affect the wins of either team.

Erazem Lorbek (28 year old 6'11" PF/C) info ....
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Erazem-Lorbek-30/
... dude doesn't appear to ever be coming to the States, so I don't see the point in stashing him with Tomic overseas.

Last edited by zero24gravity on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 4:08 pm

This is so boring, I could actually see the Jazz doing it unfortunately. What a fizzle that would be.....
Back to top Go down
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:52 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
thejazzkickazz wrote:

There are several things wrong with this article. I won't even begin to enumerate them at this point. Having said that...there are one or two elements that raise an eyebrow for half a second.
Like I said, I don't believe this article, but I thought I would throw it out there for general discussion.

I don't want you to get the impression from my response that I do not welcome this sort of post. I love seeing articles like this from sportswriters speculating about trades. I just find it odd that all of these national pundits always write articles whose subjects are trades that are favorable to "contenders" and/or "large city teams", and that assume that the front offices of small market teams like the Jazz are full of idiots who will just give away their best players for chicken scratch. Why is there never an article that speculates that Kobe Bryant may wish to go play for the Utah Jazz, and that the Jazz could get him for practically nothing in return?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I actually totally disagree with all you guys, I'd do a Jefferson for Mills, Splitter, and Erazem Lorbek deal in a heartbeat. That is a freaking sweet deal, in fact probably too sweet, I don't think the Spurs would do it. Splitter is massively under-rated and as a restricted free agent the Jazz could absolutely make sure he stays, having Mills as a backup would be exactly what the Jazz need, and Lorbek draws comparisons to Memo and is considered one of the top big men in the Euro league.

Captain Jack would just be an expiring contract in this deal, so whether or not he likes it here is irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:05 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
I actually totally disagree with all you guys, I'd do a Jefferson for Mills, Splitter, and Erazem Lorbek deal in a heartbeat. That is a freaking sweet deal, in fact probably too sweet, I don't think the Spurs would do it. Splitter is massively under-rated and as a restricted free agent the Jazz could absolutely make sure he stays, having Mills as a backup would be exactly what the Jazz need, and Lorbek draws comparisons to Memo and is considered one of the top big men in the Euro league.

Captain Jack would just be an expiring contract in this deal, so whether or not he likes it here is irrelevant.

I know that I didn't say it isn't a fair deal. It's just not realistic. Jackson would have a hissy fit, but more than that... the Jazz can't take on three contracts and only give up one.

Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I know that I didn't say it isn't a fair deal. It's just not realistic. Jackson would have a hissy fit, but more than that... the Jazz can't take on three contracts and only give up one.

Throw Murphy into the deal and buy out Bell.

Done.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 8:26 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I don't know 'bout that. Patty Mills is playing less than 10 mpg and giving 0.8 assists and 5 pts, which makes him a decent 2nd or 3rd PG but hardly an answer for the Jazz PG situation. I'd personally rather see Burks log the time there until Watson/Mo get back, we spent a lotto pick on the guy after all. And while yes, Splitter is a nice player, he is also almost 30 yrs old and a 10 and 6 guy playing 27 mpg; in other words, a really good backup big man on an established team but not a piece to add to a building core, which I assume the Jazz are looking at as they eyeball the next 3 years. Have no idea about Lorbek, intriguing...but giving up Al, paying Jackson not to show up and throwing in Murphy on our end for that get back? No thanks. Jazz would do better in the FA market.

I will ask, one more time as well, why is gained cap room by letting a contract expire, (which Sheridan assumes is the motivating factor in Al's case), a worse deal than making roll-the-dice trades and taking on at least one crappy contract, as is so often the case? For example, letting Boozer and AK walk was a good deal for the Jazz in the end because of the salary room it opened up, especially with the TE we got with Boozer. With the trade deadline near approaching I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see the Jazz look the same for the rest of the year and serious wheeling and dealing over the summer. Seldom have I seen mid-season trades be less than forced, and the ones that work are teams who are willing to give up a lot for a key piece for a playoff run, not building for the future. JMO.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 8:46 pm

MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I don't know 'bout that. Patty Mills is playing less than 10 mpg and giving 0.8 assists and 5 pts, which makes him a decent 2nd or 3rd PG but hardly an answer for the Jazz PG situation. I'd personally rather see Burks log the time there until Watson/Mo get back, we spent a lotto pick on the guy after all. And while yes, Splitter is a nice player, he is also almost 30 yrs old and a 10 and 6 guy playing 27 mpg; in other words, a really good backup big man on an established team but not a piece to add to a building core, which I assume the Jazz are looking at as they eyeball the next 3 years. Have no idea about Lorbek, intriguing...but giving up Al, paying Jackson not to show up and throwing in Murphy on our end for that get back? No thanks. Jazz would do better in the FA market.

I will ask, one more time as well, why is gained cap room by letting a contract expire, (which Sheridan assumes is the motivating factor in Al's case), a worse deal than making roll-the-dice trades and taking on at least one crappy contract, as is so often the case? For example, letting Boozer and AK walk was a good deal for the Jazz in the end because of the salary room it opened up, especially with the TE we got with Boozer. With the trade deadline near approaching I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see the Jazz look the same for the rest of the year and serious wheeling and dealing over the summer. Seldom have I seen mid-season trades be less than forced, and the ones that work are teams who are willing to give up a lot for a key piece for a playoff run, not building for the future. JMO.

I wouldn't be surprised either, I've been saying that for a while. The thing about this deal though is that it doesn't have any bad contracts. On top of that the new CBA makes sign and trade deals much less likely, so a big TPE probably isn't going to happen.

Also, just as a point of order, Splitter just turned 28.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I kind of agree/disagree with you on splitter.

I think he is great in the Spurs system. He is so great at finishing on the move. I would love to find out how many of his baskets are on the pick and roll, which the spurs run as much as anybody with parker. Utah, not so much anymore. Now, they tweek the system a little if splitter comes, and call a few more pick and rolls with him on the floor, but im not sure he is as productive in utah as he is in SA.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
I was reading this thinking, "hmmm.... there seems to be validity to this", and then I heard about S.Jackson coming to Utah .... yikes, not in a million years. Unless Utah gives them Raja & pays Jackson to stay home, just like the team has been doing Bell all year. Thing is, without him (or Parker, Manu, Timmy) there's no way to get contracts to match.

Also, the Jazz can't just take on a 3 for 1 swap. They can only have 15 guys on the roster.

Splitter, Mills & Jackson (+ Erazem Lorbek?)
for
Jefferson, Bell & Murphy

.... would still work, but like I said, Jackson in Utah is a joke.

Trade Machine says it doesn't affect the wins of either team.

Erazem Lorbek (28 year old 6'11" PF/C) info ....
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Erazem-Lorbek-30/
... dude doesn't appear to ever be coming to the States, so I don't see the point in stashing him with Tomic overseas.

Jackson dosent stay. He gets bought out, and then is free to sign anywhere except SA. (one of the new things in the CBA is if a player is traded during season, he cannot resign with the team that traded him. He probably goes to MIA, or OKC to finish his career.)

SA would not want Bell. The deal works out salary wise. If they take Bell in the deal, it puts them over the luxury tax. Now, they have done that in the past, but they will try to stay under the tax threshold.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 am

This deal blows. Splitter is decent but not great. I'd start Favors and Kanter over him since he won't make a difference in building a championship team. Mills hasn't proven anything. When he got 16 min a game a few yrs ago his numbers were ok but not worthy of trading for Big Al..... which is why the Jazz would want to trade Jefferson. The Jazz need a point that can start- their big-men can make-up for Jefferson (in theory). I don't see how the Euro dude is worth anything...... 22 min 10 ppg, 3 rbg, 26% from the three, slow feet, kinda soft, doesn't block shots... no thanks.

At least get some draft picks and someone like Splitter to back-up our current bigs. Getting a proven point guard is really the only reason why I'd trade Jefferson or Sap.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:41 am

The fact that this is in the sports news at all, tells us everything we need to know: NOT happening. Utah and San An are the most well kept secret dealers in the league. No way there's any legitimacy to this.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 am

Quote :

UPDATE: Dan McCarney of the San Antonio Express-News read the Sheridan piece and he some thoughts on why Jefferson to the Spurs is highly unlikely.

Dan McCarney writes: "1) Jefferson is more expensive. While Splitter is set to enjoy a nice payday this summer, it’s doubtful he’ll approach the $14 million Jefferson is due this season. 2) Jefferson is primarily a low-post scorer who doesn’t fit nearly as well as Splitter does with the Spurs’ pick-and-roll heavy offense. 3) Splitter is a better defensive player. 4) Can you see the Spurs, who value consistency and continuity like no other franchise in the NBA, executing such a major trade in the midst of a campaign in which they’ve got the league’s best record with a home-heavy schedule over the second half?"

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/

Hard to argue with that logic. I can definitely see the Jazz and Spurs making a deal, but I think it would be a lesser deal if they do. Something that gives the Spurs another peice for a playoff run and the Jazz something for the future.

....you know what actaully might make some sense for both teams if the Jazz decide to really go with the youth movement, Stephen Jackson for Marvin Williams. Jackson has been horrific so far this season, so horrific that Marvin would be an upgrade, and outside of maybe Leonard one thing that the Spurs don't really have is a guy that can come in and guard bigger SF's like Lebron and Durrant (Durrant killed them in the playoffs last year, scored over 30 a game and shot over 55%), which happens to be one of Marvins specialties.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Quote :

UPDATE: Dan McCarney of the San Antonio Express-News read the Sheridan piece and he some thoughts on why Jefferson to the Spurs is highly unlikely.

Dan McCarney writes: "1) Jefferson is more expensive. While Splitter is set to enjoy a nice payday this summer, it’s doubtful he’ll approach the $14 million Jefferson is due this season. 2) Jefferson is primarily a low-post scorer who doesn’t fit nearly as well as Splitter does with the Spurs’ pick-and-roll heavy offense. 3) Splitter is a better defensive player. 4) Can you see the Spurs, who value consistency and continuity like no other franchise in the NBA, executing such a major trade in the midst of a campaign in which they’ve got the league’s best record with a home-heavy schedule over the second half?"

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/

Hard to argue with that logic. I can definitely see the Jazz and Spurs making a deal, but I think it would be a lesser deal if they do. Something that gives the Spurs another peice for a playoff run and the Jazz something for the future.

....you know what actaully might make some sense for both teams if the Jazz decide to really go with the youth movement, Stephen Jackson for Marvin Williams. Jackson has been horrific so far this season, so horrific that Marvin would be an upgrade, and outside of maybe Leonard one thing that the Spurs don't really have is a guy that can come in and guard bigger SF's like Lebron and Durrant (Durrant killed them in the playoffs last year, scored over 30 a game and shot over 55%), which happens to be one of Marvins specialties.

That would be a pure salary dump move for the Jazz (for next year). I think the Jazz would need something else in that kind of deal since I don't EVER see the Jazz & Jackson jumping into bed together. Add Bell & Mills to the deal. The salaries become almost identical. The Jazz would essentially be trading Marv for Mills, which still isn't enough, but with a pick (and a resigning of Carroll), it might be worth thinking about.

Marv for Mills & a pick? That could work.

Of coarse, that would mean the Jazz have 4 PG's plus Foye & Burks on the roster, which seems like overkill.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Looking at this trade in a Trade Checker it would be hard for them to match salary's without the Jazz having to take back more player's in return then they would really want to, so I think it would be hard for them to make a trade work for both team's.

I think the Jazz should really think hard about trading Jefferson myself the guy is a big part of the reason this team is playing like they are, he has taken these kid's under his arm's and is mentoring them and is making them better all around players. Jefferson learned from one of the best all time big's who was on 4 championship teams Keven McHale and has a lot to teach these kids, I hate to say it but if they are going to have to trade one of their big's at this time I would have to go with Milsap as much as I love the guy I would prefer Jefferson over him. I am glad that I don't have to make a call like this things could go either way you never know, that's why these guys get paid like they do I guess.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 pm

dongibby wrote:
Looking at this trade in a Trade Checker it would be hard for them to match salary's without the Jazz having to take back more player's in return then they would really want to, so I think it would be hard for them to make a trade work for both team's.

I think the Jazz should really think hard about trading Jefferson myself the guy is a big part of the reason this team is playing like they are, he has taken these kid's under his arm's and is mentoring them and is making them better all around players. Jefferson learned from one of the best all time big's who was on 4 championship teams Keven McHale and has a lot to teach these kids, I hate to say it but if they are going to have to trade one of their big's at this time I would have to go with Milsap as much as I love the guy I would prefer Jefferson over him. I am glad that I don't have to make a call like this things could go either way you never know, that's why these guys get paid like they do I guess.

I think jazz want and will resign sap after all is said and done. Big Al is one of the good guys and wished we could keep him just don't see it. Will allways be a Al fan when its all done. I know Al is a huge TD fan and would be a good fit and maybe take spurs to the next level. If jazz dont get a first round pick i would'nt pull the trigger!
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Sheridanhoops reporting that Will Bynum, Al Jeff and Ridnour are most likely to be moved. Also reporting Utah involved in all, to include Patty Mills talk.

Bynum, Ridnour, great.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 am

Source: Spurs Won't Acquire Josh Smith, Al Jefferson
Feb 19, 2013 8:45 PM EST

The San Antonio Spurs have been linked to trade discussions for Josh Smith and Al Jefferson, but a source the team won't pursue a move for either player.

The Spurs would have struggled to afford either player given their salary cap situation.

Via Ric Bucher/Comcast
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?   Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson? Empty

Back to top Go down

Spurs the front-runner to land Jefferson?
Page 1 of 1