Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion

Go down 
+2
Romoholic
TheMagnus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion Empty
PostSubject: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Quote :

Utah Jazz assistant coach Sidney Lowe was arrested Monday on charges that he failed to pay North Carolina state income taxes for three years, according to television station ABC11 in Raleigh, N.C.

Lowe, 53, coached the North Carolina State Wolfpack basketball team from 2006-11 before joining the Jazz staff in 2012.

According to the television station, agents with the North Carolina Department of Revenue filed three misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file a tax return against Lowe, who still owns a home in the Wake Forest area of that state.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/55852495-87/lowe-state-income-tax.html.csp

Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion 130218014515_sidney-lowe-mugshot

whew, I'm guessing this will blow over pretty fast, but I can't imagine the Jazz front office being happy about this...
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Quote :

Utah Jazz assistant coach Sidney Lowe was arrested Monday on charges that he failed to pay North Carolina state income taxes for three years, according to television station ABC11 in Raleigh, N.C.

Lowe, 53, coached the North Carolina State Wolfpack basketball team from 2006-11 before joining the Jazz staff in 2012.

According to the television station, agents with the North Carolina Department of Revenue filed three misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file a tax return against Lowe, who still owns a home in the Wake Forest area of that state.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/55852495-87/lowe-state-income-tax.html.csp

Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion 130218014515_sidney-lowe-mugshot

whew, I'm guessing this will blow over pretty fast, but I can't imagine the Jazz front office being happy about this...

I was just about to post this. I don't see it as a big deal though.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Welllllll..... I mean, getting arrested is kind of a big deal. And getting arrested for tax evasion means it happened, it's numbers. And it's not like he's hard to find, so, hmmm, I dont think it looks too good.

Having enough to make an arrest, doesn't usually mean "my client made an honest mistake, and didn't realize he hadn't filed in a timely manner".....
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Yo no habla ingles.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Welllllll..... I mean, getting arrested is kind of a big deal. And getting arrested for tax evasion means it happened, it's numbers. And it's not like he's hard to find, so, hmmm, I dont think it looks too good.

Having enough to make an arrest, doesn't usually mean "my client made an honest mistake, and didn't realize he hadn't filed in a timely manner".....

I disagree, Just because he was arrested for something doesn't mean that he did it, and even if he did, it doesn't mean it was intentional. I have seen a lot of players and coaches get into tax trouble because when you work in another state then you live or are a resident in more than one state, tax issues get really tricky.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Romoholic wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

I disagree, Just because he was arrested for something doesn't mean that he did it, and even if he did, it doesn't mean it was intentional. I have seen a lot of players and coaches get into tax trouble because when you work in another state then you live or are a resident in more than one state, tax issues get really tricky.

Something smells funny if he never even filed his taxes? More than a mistake. we are know two things you never get a way from and its Taxes and death!
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Richardale wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Something smells funny if he never even filed his taxes? More than a mistake. we are know two things you never get a way from and its Taxes and death!

More than that, it just makes little sense for Coach Lowe to do not file state taxes if he knew he had to, there has to be some sort of misunderstanding or something...doesn't there?
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:36 pm

John Stockton once said something along the lines of taking more time to figure out taxes in each state the Jazz played in than actually practicing and playing the game.

Sidney Lowe's situation doesn't have many immediate excuses though. If your main income is coming from a state then you had better damn well check out how to pay your taxes. However, not everyone is a tax expert or even semi-not clueless on the matter, and I can see how easy it could have been for him to think he didn't have to pay. For all we know, he overpayed another in good faith instead.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Romoholic wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Except if you forget, or dont pay your taxes, they dont just automatically come arrest you. Thats an end result, not the first step.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Except if you forget, or dont pay your taxes, they dont just automatically come arrest you. Thats an end result, not the first step.

This is exactly what I am thinking as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion   Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion Empty

Back to top Go down

Sidney Lowe Arrested for Tax Evasion
Page 1 of 1