Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  jazz bench Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

jazz bench

Go down 
+3
Mutangclan
Romoholic
therawns
7 posters
AuthorMessage
therawns
Starter

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Where do you rank the jazz bench in the league? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:42 am

therawns wrote:
Where do you rank the jazz bench in the league? Just curious.

I'm thinking top 5. We'll have a better idea when all the teams have their rosters filled out though.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 am

Jazz bench should be near the top IMO. If Utah starts Mo/GH/Marv/Paul/Al that leaves this:

Foye-- starter all last year
Burks-- ready to start
Fav-- hands down ready to start
DC-- we all liked him starting last year

and still Kanter who 99% of this board thinks will see big improvements even from his solid year last year, and Earl Watson who is a steady backup pg. Even Jeremy who when he comes into games he is a contributor. This is a deep deep team.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Ya, I think the Jazz depth is really really good, I'd say top 5 in the NBA good, but I'd like to back that up with a list...

Other teams with good to great benches (off the top of my head)

Denver
San Antonio
Boston
Dallas
OKC
LAClippers
Minnesota

I think Denver and San Antonio have to be one and two, Boston and Dallas are both kind of sneaky good because of their offseason moves, OKC has Harden and a bunch of solid role players, and the Clippers and Timberwolves have deep benches but they will probably need every guy on them because their players age and injury histories look like a Medicare report.

So ya, I'd definitely put Utah's bench top 5.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 pm

I like the sound of, "You know, the Jazz have one of the best benches' in the NBA, those guys just keep bringing it when the starters are resting."

That very thing is going to buy the Jazz 5-7 games more than it did last year so I'm sticking to Jazz home court, 4th in the West. It is a long ass season and bench play is huge in the final seedings, especially in the bunched up West. Plus, strong bench play equals resilience when starters go down with injury. Not saying the Jazz starting line during playoffs will equal a WCF visit, (when the bench is less of a factor), but I'm not saying its impossible either at this point. Like the sneaky Jazz run in Deron's 3rd year.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:32 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Ya, I think the Jazz depth is really really good, I'd say top 5 in the NBA good, but I'd like to back that up with a list...

Denver
San Antonio
Boston
Dallas
OKC
LAClippers
Minnesota

Probably are the teams with some of the best benches, but not so sure they can compete with Utahs.
Hmmm, Denver: Mozgov, Chandler, Ancient Andre, Corey Brewer, Kosta. Eh, I dont think they're scaring anyone.
San An: Stephen Jackson, Diaw, Bonner, Patty Mills. Eh again.
Boston: Jason Terry, Brandon Bass, Sullinger, Dooling, Pietrus(?) Avery Bradley or Courtney Lee, or Jeff Green. Yea, stacked. Boston has an awesome bench to support their vets.
Dallas:Brand, Delonte West, Beubois, Dahntay Jones. Ok, but eh, Utah's bench still flys right by.
OKC: James Harden, Perry Jones, Daequan Cooke, Maynor, Collison. Yea, there's a reason why the best starting 5 in the league also have the best team in the league.
Clippers: Grant Hill, Bledsoe, Odom, Crawford, Willie Green, Turiaf. Yea, they may have the best bench mob. That team can almost start.
Minnesota: Barea, Budinger, Ridnour, DWill, Stiesma. Another solid solid group.

But from the looks of it, Utah is equal to, or surpasses any other teams bench mobs. Yeaaaabuddy Jazz!
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Denver
San Antonio
Boston
Dallas
OKC
LAClippers
Minnesota

Probably are the teams with some of the best benches, but not so sure they can compete with Utahs.
Hmmm, Denver: Mozgov, Chandler, Ancient Andre, Corey Brewer, Kosta. Eh, I dont think they're scaring anyone.
Boston: Jason Terry, Brandon Bass, Sullinger, Dooling, Pietrus(?) Avery Bradley or Courtney Lee, or Jeff Green. Yea, stacked. Boston has an awesome bench to support their vets.
Dallas:Brand, Delonte West, Beubois, Dahntay Jones. Ok, but eh, Utah's bench still flys right by.
OKC: James Harden, Perry Jones, Daequan Cooke, Maynor, Collison. Yea, there's a reason why the best starting 5 in the league also have the best team in the league.
Clippers: Grant Hill, Bledsoe, Odom, Crawford, Willie Green, Turiaf. Yea, they may have the best bench mob. That team can almost start.

But from the looks of it, Utah is equal to, or surpasses any other teams bench mobs. Yeaaaabuddy Jazz!

You forgot Manu and either Splitter or Blair on the Spurs, that's a whole lot better than, "eh". A team headlined by Stephen Jackson, Diaw, Bonner, Patty Mills, Splitter and Manu would probably make the playoffs in the east.

And while Denver may not have the name recognition, Mozgov and Koufos could start for most NBA teams and Brewer, Miller and Chandler are all really quality players.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:43 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

And while Denver may not have the name recognition, Mozgov and Koufos could start for most NBA teams and Brewer, Miller and Chandler are all really quality players.

Whoa. Kouf, our Kouf, start for most teams? I think he has done pretty well with Denver in the minutes he gets but I sure as hell don't want to think he is a starting caliber C in this league. I got Kanter ranked waaaaaaay ahead of him in the "yet unproven but potential starter" department. Just had to ask as you usually have a meticulous approach to your opinions Surprised
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

TheMagnus wrote:

You forgot Manu and either Splitter or Blair on the Spurs, that's a whole lot better than, "eh". A team headlined by Stephen Jackson, Diaw, Bonner, Patty Mills, Splitter and Manu would probably make the playoffs in the east.

I wasn't forgetting them, I have Manu and Splitter starting, and thought San An said they weren't resigning Blair. (Duncan/Splitter/Manu/TP/Leonard, right?)

Mozgov could, and did, but never amounted to much. You really think Kosta could??? As for the rest sure, they're quality. But in comparison to Utah's, its not even close.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:07 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Denver
San Antonio
Boston
Dallas
OKC
LAClippers
Minnesota

Koufus has been a pleasent surprise since being traded from Utah. Start for most? Nah. I would say he is a bad starter, but as a backup, he is solid.

Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:22 am

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Denver
San Antonio
Boston
Dallas
OKC
LAClippers
Minnesota

Here is my top benches
SA has the best IMO. GINOBILI!!!!! Gotta love him.
Boston didnt lose a thing, and probably got better from the loss of allen, but addition of JET. It will be interesting to see how Allen adjusts to coming off the bench. Can he come in the game and get his rhythm quickly? Bass is a starter.
Clippers: Which Lamar Odom shows up? Can Hill stay healthy? (If he cannot, can we please just call the Suns training staff miracle workers?) Can Bledsoe break out?
Utah: Will there ever be a time when Utah is at a disadvantage in terms of first big off the bench, whether its favors or millsap? Can Kanter dominate the 2nd big off the bench? Im not as high on Burks as everyone else. Don't think he is a starter in this league, yet. Ready to play 22-24 minutes? Hopefully. Look at Foyes numbers off the bench last year. He was not that good of the bench last year.
OKC: You forgot one of my faves man. Nick Collison. He is that guy you love on your team, but hate if he is going against you. I bet if we could see who took the most charges per 48 minutes, Collison is first, and it is not even close. Seriously, Collison taking charges, and Ibaka going up for blocks is a nasty help-side combo. I really really hope Maynor is healthy.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 am

TheMagnus wrote:

Then you're forgetting Danny Green

Oh right right right, you're right (see that Calgary?? looks weird, huh?) Forgot about Green, who is a really good 5th option for that team. Can't blame me though forgetting if Manu started or didnt.
Koufos always had a decent touch, and rebounds well enough. I wasn't all that excited about losing him when Al came. He's really not going to get to many minutes though.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:06 am

MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Whoa. Kouf, our Kouf, start for most teams? I think he has done pretty well with Denver in the minutes he gets but I sure as hell don't want to think he is a starting caliber C in this league. I got Kanter ranked waaaaaaay ahead of him in the "yet unproven but potential starter" department. Just had to ask as you usually have a meticulous approach to your opinions Surprised

If you look at Koufos production he has been remarkably consistent and consistently good with every opportunity he has been given. He rebounds like a beast (almost 11 per 36 minutes over his carreer), plays solid D (1 steal and 2 blocks per 36 over his career), and he works his butt off.

You guys are probably right though, saying he would start for most teams was a bit of a reach, but I do think there are a fair number of teams that would be better if they had him instead of their current starters, and I think that Denver would have been better of last year if they had given more minutes to him and Farhied and less minutes to Harrington and Mozgov.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Denver
San Antonio
Boston
Dallas
OKC
LAClippers
Minnesota

Agreed on your head to head assessment. I'd say a Foye, Kanter, Favors, DC, Burks starting unit would be a low seed Eastern Conference playoff team. Granted, that is not saying much because it is the Leastern Conference and that starting line-up would not be a playoff team in the West. It would however resemble the surprise 44 win Jazz team in the post-StockMalone era. Gritty. Play the right way. Hustle hustle hustle. If the bench mob gets cohesive, which I very much think it will, it is going to give other team fits, forcing their starters back onto the floor with out proper rest. We saw that magic happen several times last year. If the starting unit play is superior to last year's model, which I'm convinced will be the case, (finally, some outside shooting), the Jazz are going to be a load, dangerous every night. They are going to be the best team in the league that doesn't have a superstar on board. Put Durant on the Jazz and you have a contender and probably a ring or two coming. Sadly, with no superstars, this is the best the Jazz are ever going to be - but I'm OK with that, it will be a pleasure to be a fan this year, always the underdog in the big boys sandbox.
Back to top Go down
Calgary Jazz
Starter

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 1:16 pm

MTJazz wrote:
I'd say a Foye, Kanter, Favors, DC, Burks starting unit would be a low seed Eastern Conference playoff team.

As much as I like our bench you are way overrating them and those 5 would not be able to make playoffs in Eastern conference. To young, to inexperienced, no go to scorer, no veteran presence, not enough perimeter shooting. For example lets look at crappy team like Raptors starters. Lowry, Bargnani, DeRozan, Fields or Kleiza and Johnson or Valanciunas. No way our bench would win game vs them. And if you look at playoff team starters it gets even worse... We have good bench but not that great.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
I'd say a Foye, Kanter, Favors, DC, Burks starting unit would be a low seed Eastern Conference playoff team.

As much as I like our bench you are way overrating them and those 5 would not be able to make playoffs in Eastern conference. To young, to inexperienced, no go to scorer, no veteran presence, not enough perimeter shooting. For example lets look at crappy team like Raptors starters. Lowry, Bargnani, DeRozan, Fields or Kleiza and Johnson or Valanciunas. No way our bench would win game vs them. And if you look at playoff team starters it gets even worse... We have good bench but not that great.

I agree Calg. The Jazz bench looks sharp, but not good enough to be a playoff team (even in the Leastern Conference).

The Raptor comparison is a great one, and that team will not be in the playoff hunt IMO & is probably a little worse than the Raptor five:

Lowry >> Foye (assuming he is the #2 PG)
DeRozan > Burks (or if Burks makes a big leap them they could be even)
Fields > Carroll
Bargnani = Favors (totaly different players, but overall I see them equal this year, with Derrick having the better upside)
Johnson < Kanter, maybe = to JV

Unless a couple guys like Favors & Burks both go monster on the league this year, then I say that bench is strong, reliable & a real asset, but not good enough to be a starting five for a decent team.

Last edited by zero24gravity on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:
MTJazz wrote:

Agree with Calg on this one, if those 5 players were your starters you'd be the Charlotte Bobcats. Fortunately they are not the Jazz starters, they are players -7 through 11 + Favors on the roster, which is why the Jazz are a good, deep, team.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:
MTJazz wrote:

Point taken. I suppose I was forecasting based on how good Favors, Kanter and Burks can be this year. I think Burks can be a volume scorer, the Favors/Kanter combo would be one of best rebounding/paint defenses in the East. But you are right, a little too inexperienced, but I see a breakout year ahead for those guys. They will in fact be starters on a playoff caliber team named the Jazz next year. I did exaggerate, but not by much I suspect.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 4:16 pm

why are we comparing our bench to other teams starters? Compare our bench to other teams bench. We have one of the better ones in the league!
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Romoholic wrote:
why are we comparing our bench to other teams starters? Compare our bench to other teams bench. We have one of the better ones in the league!

That was my bad, I was overstating a point. At some point in the season it will be fun to check out team stats on bench production.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 4:35 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

That was my bad, I was overstating a point. At some point in the season it will be fun to check out team stats on bench production.

Ah gotcha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

jazz bench Empty
PostSubject: Re: jazz bench   jazz bench Empty

Back to top Go down

jazz bench
Page 1 of 1