Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  League is fixed! Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

League is fixed!

Go down 
+2
Professo_Sloan
Richardale
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: League is fixed!   League is fixed! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 11:54 pm

We need to get all new refs and i feel we need a thread that we can come into and do nothing but b!tch about REFS! And CJ should have his own the Bitch thread about Gordo @ Kanter! No
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: League is fixed!   League is fixed! EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am

Don't know WTF you said but pretty sure it included a cheap shot at CJ and that I like.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: League is fixed!   League is fixed! EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 9:54 am

Richardale wrote:
We need to get all new refs and i feel we need a thread that we can come into and do nothing but b!tch about REFS! And CJ should have his own the Bitch thread about Gordo @ Kanter! No

Richard, based off a number of your recent posts, you seem desperate to talk about the refs ... but I can't tell if you're joking or not. No way you can really blame that Houston "scrimmage" (I refuse to call that a game) on the refs ..... right?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: League is fixed!   League is fixed! EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:49 pm

I have much sympathy for Richard's position, that the refs are bad, incompetent, probably evil, almost certainly a cabal of secret Rosicrucians, and bad. And incompetent. Again.

Now, people will say, "Well, that's just what the league IS. There's nothing you can do about it.". These people consider themselves sophisticated and worldly, they know the score. "It is what it is.".

I remember Dave Blackwell voicing those exact words to a frustrated Jazz fan long about '88, when the Jazz, with a young Stockton and Malone, Mark Eaton, Thurl Bailey and Darrell Griffith, had arguably the best starting 5 in the NBA. But they played the Lakers that year, The SHOWTIME Lakers, and nobody, especially the refs, was really ready for the games to be played out on a level playing field. The Jazz were fast at every position (even Eaton could outrun Kareem at the end of his career), and might very well have beaten the Lakers...but no. And Blackwell, and every other sports commentator knew it. It wasn't the Jazz' time. They hadn't paid their dues. Etc., etc...

It was the "There's nothing you can do about it." part that bothered me. Maybe not, if you're drawing your check from an NBA team, or a radio station that depends on game broadcasts for revenue. Me, I did something about it. Not me, nor my kids, have contributed a penny to the NBA lo, these 25 years. Not licensed merchandise, advertised products, EA Sports crappy "simulation" software, nor tickets. I really would like to support the Jazz, but I don't. I can't.

Give the refs a mandate to call the games straight up. Try and get every call right. OF COURSE, they won't, OF COURSE it's a near-impossible game to call...but ask them to try. No star treatment, no rookie hazing, no home team advantage, no racial assumptions, nothing...just try and get the calls right, and then hold them to that standard.

But Stern has passed on a couple of opportunities to improve the officiating. Not surprising from someone who views the games as 'revenue-producing entertainment product' as opposed to 'athletic contests'. Stern spits in face of every fan when he lies and says with a straight (but fat) face: "There is no star treatment in the NBA.". It shows what contempt he holds you revenue sources...errrr...fans in. Because YOU, the FANS, are what the NBA sells: eyeballs to the TV stations and mindless consumers of overpriced, slave-labor produced footwear to Nike and truckloads of public money to his owners because FANS will pressure politicians to make horrible civic investments in NBA teams*.

The refs aren't the whole problem with the NBA, but they're a huge part of it. And I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough to buy into it.

*-don't talk to me about 'economic multipliers' and the other disproven bull that the NBA's highly-paid whore/economists churn out. There's less truth in those "Economic Benefit" studies than in those tobacco company health studies of smoking from the 50s. They're about equally ethical, too.

S

Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: League is fixed!   League is fixed! EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Now, goddamn, that ^ is the Trolly we all know and love! Don't be shy, we hear you. 'Tis a time of angst in Jazzland, The Dark Lords of Mediocrity stalk our shores, the tide rising around our unfashionable hightops.

Seems to me I'm not the only Jazz fan in a seriously agitated state. Something especially visceral about that Houston game....and it wasn't the refs dear Richard. Never was and will be. It was a 40 point thrashing.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: League is fixed!   League is fixed! EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:12 am

MTJazz wrote:
Now, goddamn, that ^ is the Trolly we all know and love! Don't be shy, we hear you. 'Tis a time of angst in Jazzland, The Dark Lords of Mediocrity stalk our shores, the tide rising around our unfashionable hightops.

Seems to me I'm not the only Jazz fan in a seriously agitated state. Something especially visceral about that Houston game....and it wasn't the refs dear Richard. Never was and will be. It was a 40 point thrashing.

Seems like the Jazz came out pissed tonight, as well as they should be. It's good to see that they come back fighting after an ass kicking of historic proportions. No thanks to Corbin, I might add!
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: League is fixed!   League is fixed! EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Richardale wrote:

Richard, based off a number of your recent posts, you seem desperate to talk about the refs ... but I can't tell if you're joking or not. No way you can really blame that Houston "scrimmage" (I refuse to call that a game) on the refs ..... right?

Just try to help CJ out and make sure i whine about the Refs on all my posts. If i see a call that i feel is BS i will let it be known! If he don't like it? tough chit! Just like when he puts draft picks down before ever lacing them up and ever play a game. Post after post. Just trying to show him how old it gets. Fing REFS!

Last edited by Richardale on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: League is fixed!   League is fixed! EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 pm

Trollificus wrote:
I have much sympathy for Richard's position, that the refs are bad, incompetent, probably evil, almost certainly a cabal of secret Rosicrucians, and bad. And incompetent. Again.

Now, people will say, "Well, that's just what the league IS. There's nothing you can do about it.". These people consider themselves sophisticated and worldly, they know the score. "It is what it is.".

I remember Dave Blackwell voicing those exact words to a frustrated Jazz fan long about '88, when the Jazz, with a young Stockton and Malone, Mark Eaton, Thurl Bailey and Darrell Griffith, had arguably the best starting 5 in the NBA. But they played the Lakers that year, The SHOWTIME Lakers, and nobody, especially the refs, was really ready for the games to be played out on a level playing field. The Jazz were fast at every position (even Eaton could outrun Kareem at the end of his career), and might very well have beaten the Lakers...but no. And Blackwell, and every other sports commentator knew it. It wasn't the Jazz' time. They hadn't paid their dues. Etc., etc...

It was the "There's nothing you can do about it." part that bothered me. Maybe not, if you're drawing your check from an NBA team, or a radio station that depends on game broadcasts for revenue. Me, I did something about it. Not me, nor my kids, have contributed a penny to the NBA lo, these 25 years. Not licensed merchandise, advertised products, EA Sports crappy "simulation" software, nor tickets. I really would like to support the Jazz, but I don't. I can't.

Give the refs a mandate to call the games straight up. Try and get every call right. OF COURSE, they won't, OF COURSE it's a near-impossible game to call...but ask them to try. No star treatment, no rookie hazing, no home team advantage, no racial assumptions, nothing...just try and get the calls right, and then hold them to that standard.

But Stern has passed on a couple of opportunities to improve the officiating. Not surprising from someone who views the games as 'revenue-producing entertainment product' as opposed to 'athletic contests'. Stern spits in face of every fan when he lies and says with a straight (but fat) face: "There is no star treatment in the NBA.". It shows what contempt he holds you revenue sources...errrr...fans in. Because YOU, the FANS, are what the NBA sells: eyeballs to the TV stations and mindless consumers of overpriced, slave-labor produced footwear to Nike and truckloads of public money to his owners because FANS will pressure politicians to make horrible civic investments in NBA teams*.

The refs aren't the whole problem with the NBA, but they're a huge part of it. And I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough to buy into it.

*-don't talk to me about 'economic multipliers' and the other disproven bull that the NBA's highly-paid whore/economists churn out. There's less truth in those "Economic Benefit" studies than in those tobacco company health studies of smoking from the 50s. They're about equally ethical, too.

S

That's some deep anger and i love it because you're telling it the way you see it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

League is fixed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: League is fixed!   League is fixed! Empty

Back to top Go down

League is fixed!
Page 1 of 1