Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread Empty
PostSubject: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Take a look at: http://www.basketballreference.com/players/e/evansje01.html

His per 36 minutes, if he ever saw such a thing, is super solid, not to mention that there have been like a half-dozen games in his career where he got enough minutes in a game to break a sweat and get a rhythm.

2010-11 season minutes: 463, 9.4 mpg
Sign JE to a three year contract at $1.7MM per for 3 years
2011-12 season minutes 217; 7.5 mpg, win NBA dunk contest
2012-13 season minutes so far...191, 6.6 mpg

WTF is the plan?

Discuss. Because he deserves it.

Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:38 am

I like him as an energy guy, but the Jazz need players that are triple threats.....if anything players that do a few things good. For instance, I'd take a good threepoint shooting bigman that can rebound over him (Mullens)... or just the shooting. Poor Mr.Evans has it tough- not enough time to prove he can shoot, a tweener- too light for PF work but apparently doesn't space the floor as a sf...Haven't looked up his fg% though.

Everytime I see him on the floor I'm happy for him though and look for the quick move to the basket for the alleyoop, and I do like him as a disruptive force on defense- with the right matchup. Getting him the right matchup is the tricky part. As a 12th man I like him.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 am

On the other thread I think a couple of guys pointed out that Evans has actually looked like a basketball player this year rather than a human pogo stick, and I have to agree.

Evans has had 3 games this season where he has seen meaningfull minutes because of injuries, I have watched all of those games and I have to say I was VERY impressed with him in all of them, but especially his last game agaisnt Detroit, he looked amazing in that game, making great passes, hitting jumpers, making a couple realy nice drives...he didn't have a single dunk in that game but still shot 3/4 from the field and had 8pts, 7 reb, 5 ast, 2 blks, and was +20 in 24 minutes.

In those 3 meaningful games I spoke of he averaged 10.7 pts, 7 rebounds, 2.3 ast, 1.7 blk, 1.25 TO, and had a total +/- of positive 55 in 24 minutes a game. I also dont think it is a coincidence that two of those three games were the Jazz biggest blowouts of the season.

The problem with Evans has always been a lack of opportunity, could he do what he does on a regular basis, and not in garbage time.

Well the evidence is finally mounting and I think the answer is an overwhelming yes. Yes, he really can produce like that on a regular basis. Yes, his skills and athleticism outweight his limitations.

I think he now has the skills to play both forward positions, expecially in the Jazz flex scheme, and I would love to see him in a "big" lineup with Millsap and Kanter or Favors.

I think the Jazz were thinking buisness and also looking forward to next year when they signed him to a 3 year deal. He is a fan favorite, he won the slam dunk competion, and he's selling jerseys, so that's enough of a buisness reason to keep him around regardless of what he's putting on the court. But more than that, I think they new they had some cheap insurance here, looking forward to next year when they new they could lose both Al and Paul, and knowing that they see the same Jeremy Evans in practice every day that we get to see only occasionally in glimpses on game day (every Jazz employee I have heard asked about Evans says the same thing, he really can play), I think they saw a great opportunity to lock up a solid young player for what is basically the vet minimum as a little insurance agaisnt having their starting frontcourt leave.

I really, really really really, believe that Evans is a high quality rotation player, not necessarily a starter right now, but a 15-20 minute guy off the bench, and a perfect compliment to Kanter and Favors. And I really, really really really, hope that we get to see him in that role next season.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 am

TheMagnus wrote:
On the other thread I think a couple of guys pointed out that Evans has actually looked like a basketball player this year rather than a human pogo stick, and I have to agree.

Evans has had 3 games this season where he has seen meaningfull minutes because of injuries, I have watched all of those games and I have to say I was VERY impressed with him in all of them, but especially his last game agaisnt Detroit, he looked amazing in that game, making great passes, hitting jumpers, making a couple realy nice drives...he didn't have a single dunk in that game but still shot 3/4 from the field and had 8pts, 7 reb, 5 ast, 2 blks, and was +20 in 24 minutes.

In those 3 meaningful games I spoke of he averaged 10.7 pts, 7 rebounds, 2.3 ast, 1.7 blk, 1.25 TO, and had a total +/- of positive 55 in 24 minutes a game. I also dont think it is a coincidence that two of those three games were the Jazz biggest blowouts of the season.

The problem with Evans has always been a lack of opportunity, could he do what he does on a regular basis, and not in garbage time.

Well the evidence is finally mounting and I think the answer is an overwhelming yes. Yes, he really can produce like that on a regular basis. Yes, his skills and athleticism outweight his limitations.

I think he now has the skills to play both forward positions, expecially in the Jazz flex scheme, and I would love to see him in a "big" lineup with Millsap and Kanter or Favors.
I think the Jazz were thinking buisness and also looking forward to next year when they signed him to a 3 year deal. He is a fan favorite, he won the slam dunk competion, and he's selling jerseys, so that's enough of a buisness reason to keep him around regardless of what he's putting on the court. But more than that, I think they new they had some cheap insurance here, looking forward to next year when they new they could lose both Al and Paul, and knowing that they see the same Jeremy Evans in practice every day that we get to see only occasionally in glimpses on game day (every Jazz employee I have heard asked about Evans says the same thing, he really can play), I think they saw a great opportunity to lock up a solid young player for what is basically the vet minimum as a little insurance agaisnt having their starting frontcourt leave.

I really, really really really, believe that Evans is a high quality rotation player, not necessarily a starter right now, but a 15-20 minute guy off the bench, and a perfect compliment to Kanter and Favors. And I really, really really really, hope that we get to see him in that role next season.

Well said. Although, I'm not sure we can say with certainty that he would consistantly be a strong contributer yet. Mostly because his jumper is a new weapon & likely not something that will stay consistand. However, his crazy spings-legs will be there, which always makes him a threat for rebounds, blocks, hustle plays, etc.

I'm almost 100% sure that Evans won't get a real opportunity this year to show his stuff, since the team will proabably not be mathmaticaly eliminated from the playoffs any time soon. What worries me about that, is without a chance to show his stuff, I can see the team bringing in another player that is more "proven" in the offseason to gobble up some of those lost Paul/Al minutes, instead of giving Jeremy a shot.

I do really like the line-up you mentioned with Millsap, Kanter & Evans. Kanter & Millsap can both knock down 15-18 foot J's, so whether Evans hits his shot or not, there would be enough shooting from the 4 & 5 spots, that the team wouldn't really "need" shooting from Evans (although J.E. hitting them would be a great bonus). Evans & Favors together; while very athetic, exciting & good defensively, would probably not work that well on offense.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:16 pm

That DNP from Jeremy Evans was freakin' epic tonight! Did you guys see the way he worked that bench? I have never seen a player get up and down off the bench with such enthusiasm during good plays by teammates. And the way he passed the towel down the row to his tired, sweating teammates. That guy has hands. His keen observation of each game while mired deep on the Utah Jazz bench will pay huge dividends during future years. Mark my words. This guy will easily surpass Carey Scurry as the greatest Jazz pine rider of all time, just you watch!
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 12:51 pm

thejazzkickazz wrote:
That DNP from Jeremy Evans was freakin' epic tonight! Did you guys see the way he worked that bench? I have never seen a player get up and down off the bench with such enthusiasm during good plays by teammates. And the way he passed the towel down the row to his tired, sweating teammates. That guy has hands. His keen observation of each game while mired deep on the Utah Jazz bench will pay huge dividends during future years. Mark my words. This guy will easily surpass Carey Scurry as the greatest Jazz pine rider of all time, just you watch!

I don't know man, I thought DC also had a stellar DNP. He was active, vocal and I thought his towel wave looked smooth. Maybe we can agree that both JE and DC had stellar DNP-CDs. They have put in a lot of work to get to this point, nice to see they are making the most of their bench minutes! Clearly, these are pieces the Jazz FO see as cogs in next season's rotation. I was a little surprised that Kanter got 5 minutes, otherwise he too would have had a nice DNP. Hard to figure why Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) let him off the bench given how well he manned it for the majority of the game.
Back to top Go down
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:16 pm

MTJazz wrote:
thejazzkickazz wrote:

I don't know man, I thought DC also had a stellar DNP. He was active, vocal and I thought his towel wave looked smooth. Maybe we can agree that both JE and DC had stellar DNP-CDs. They have put in a lot of work to get to this point, nice to see they are making the most of their bench minutes! Clearly, these are pieces the Jazz FO see as cogs in next season's rotation. I was a little surprised that Kanter got 5 minutes, otherwise he too would have had a nice DNP. Hard to figure why Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) let him off the bench given how well he manned it for the majority of the game.

I'm pretty sure that the Jazz have the most competitive group of benchwarmers in the league. Our pine riders could easily match up with the chair jockeys on any other team. Imagine if the Jazz installed a sofa over there, with reclining functionality. JE and DC would work the shit outta that couch, word!
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:19 pm

thejazzkickazz wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
thejazzkickazz wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the Jazz have the most competitive group of benchwarmers in the league. Our pine riders could easily match up with the chair jockeys on any other team. Imagine if the Jazz installed a sofa over there, with reclining functionality. JE and DC would work the shit outta that couch, word!

I think the pine rotation is a little broken and it's Ty's fault. Fer instance, I would think that after every time out the pine riders should all shift one seat to the right, with the guy at the end rotating up the bench to the seat next to the the young developing player who just got pulled. Combine that with a "low five Harlem Shake" hand slap up the line and seriously, what opposing team could touch that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread   Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Evans Also Deserves His Own Thread
Page 1 of 1