Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Utah Jazz, Second most "Athletic" team in the NBA? Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Utah Jazz, Second most "Athletic" team in the NBA?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Utah Jazz, Second most "Athletic" team in the NBA? Empty
PostSubject: Utah Jazz, Second most "Athletic" team in the NBA?   Utah Jazz, Second most "Athletic" team in the NBA? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Interesting stuff from Sabermetrics practitioner Bradford Doolittle, the article is about the Nuggets, but I was suprised to see who was #2 on the list...

Bradford Doolittle wrote:

Athleticism in a dictionary sense is a descriptive term that normally describes things like speed, quickness and jumping ability. Those physical qualities are measurable, too, and scouting Web sites have published and archived that kind data for NBA prospects for several years. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about what I refer to as "applied athleticism." In a nutshell, I don't want to know a player's vertical leap. I want to know how well he translates his hops into measurable basketball production like rebounds and blocked shots.

The end result is "ATH," a statistical measure that attempts to quantify each player's production in categories that are most associated with athleticism. I've found it to be useful for things like translating how a player's statistics might change when going from one professional league to another, or from college to the pros, or from a smaller role to a bigger one. By weighting each player's ATH rating by minutes played, we can also calculate the metric for teams.

2012-13 Team ATH Rankings

Top 3 team leaders with league rank in ATH

Rank - Team -------ATH -----Top 3 individual ATH

1. Denver Nuggets; 1.080; No. 8 Kenneth Faried, No. 35 Andre Iguodala, No. 49 Ty Lawson

2. Utah Jazz; 1.063; No. 4 Derrick Favors, No. 6 Paul Millsap, No. 63 DeMarre Carroll

3. Miami Heat; 1.056; No. 2 Dwyane Wade, No. 14 LeBron James, No. 75 Chris Bosh

4. Los Angeles Clippers; 1.055; No. 9 DeAndre Jordan, No. 16 Eric Bledsoe, No. 21 Blake Griffin

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9074008/nba-nuggets-league-most-athletic-team-correlate-postseason-success

Did not expect to see that result. Can't say that I dissagree, it's just a shame that we don't feel that athletic because we are running the schemes of a unimaginitive coach based around an Albatross of a C.
Back to top Go down

Utah Jazz, Second most "Athletic" team in the NBA?
Page 1 of 1