Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  record with current roster Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

record with current roster

Go down 
+8
aliveandkickin
Mutangclan
TheMagnus
Trollificus
MTJazz
Sampaguy
Romoholic
therawns
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
therawns
Starter

record with current roster Empty
PostSubject: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 1:43 pm

If the Jazz stick with this roster, how many games do you think they would win?
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 4:14 pm

therawns wrote:

I'm gonna say 53 wins.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Sampaguy
Rookie
Sampaguy

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 pm

therawns wrote:

In my opinion with the signing of Randy Foye this is a 50 win team!
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm thinking optimisticly. 55 games.

I don't see the Jazz sucking so bad on the road this year for one thing, plus I think the subtle tweak in roster strengths is just enough to take this team up another level when combined with pretty much guaranteed improvements in the young core.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm

MTJazz wrote:
I'm thinking optimisticly. 55 games.

I don't see the Jazz sucking so bad on the road this year for one thing, plus I think the subtle tweak in roster strengths is just enough to take this team up another level when combined with pretty much guaranteed improvements in the young core.

That's the thing. Outside of the additions we have made, we will get improvement from Favors, Hayward and Burks. As well as the subtraction of Bell and CJ, I think this team is going to be very good this season. I'm excited!
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Well HOW excited, Romo?

I'm about 54 wins excited, and that's pretty damn excited!!

And yes, that's optimistic.

A harder prediction is..."What will the consensus from the sportswriters, gurus, NBA "experts" and general know-it-alls?" I'm guessing the Jazz will be considered a 44-40 team and out of the #8 spot.

Seriously, I don't think the changes are enough to impress the national guys and they aren't smart enough to see a) the improvments were made giving up NOTHING and b) the almost-certain improvement in our young lottery guys.

I also predict I'll predict the most predictions about other people's predictions.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm

I am also quite excited.

I've crunched the numbers and, barring a major meltdown, I am confident this team lands somewhere in the 48-55 win range. That is something to be excited about, because that would make this Jazz team as good as any we've seen since John and Karl.

This past season I thought the compressed schedule would work in our favor, and I think it did, this season I'm a little more pessimistic. Mo will be a big part of success, and he's had injury problems, as have Foye Watson Tinsley and Marvin Williams, but we have really nice depth so I think it will be a wash...

I predict 51 wins this season, #2 in the division, #5 in the West.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 pm

im going with 49. im the eternal pessimist.

concerns. Magnus has pointed it out. For the most part, the jazz stayed injury free. Their main players, did not miss too many games last year. The Jazz have plenty of depth, but I dont care who you have off the bench, losing starters to injuries hurts.

Contracts. Millsap, Jefferson, Foye, Mo Williams, Watson, Tinsley, and Carroll are all on expiring contracts, and Marvin Williams could opt out after the year. For some of these guys, the next contract could be the last contract of their career's. This could become a problem in the locker room.

I have half of my power rankings done that will probably be posted next week. Right now, I have Utah 11th. (Spoiler, I have 8 of the top 12 teams in the West.)
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 pm

I dont think I was this excited about a season since after our first Finals appearance.

I feel like we had to address some deficiencies on our team, we needed to drop dead weight, and not lose what made us good. All that happened, and our deficiencies now became an asset. Training camp is going to be a bloodbath, with no starting roles in stone; starters and starting capable backups for all 5 spots, yahtzee!!!
With the improvements in PG play, perimeter skill and bench subtraction AND addition, I think this team is going to be fighting for homecourt advantage in the playoffs. I think 4th is absolutely going to be attainable.

In a very very VERY tight Western Conference Utah pulls off a 54-28 record, homecourt advantage and a very uncomfortable first round matchup with San An!!! But we do have homecourt this time....... Very Happy

PS: we'll need some more Prediction threads Troll to predict our predictions. Al also is going to be an All Star, Burks is going to be in the running for both 6th man and MIP, and we are going to have at least 3, possibly 4 guys shoot over 40% from 3 land.
Oh yea, and all the "pro pundits" are all saying the same dumb stuff that Utah will fight for a playoff seed this year......give me a break.

PPS: Wheres Calgary Crow??!!! I dont even know how to make predictions without someone calling me an idiot.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
I dont think I was this excited about a season since after our first Finals appearance.

I feel like we had to address some deficiencies on our team, we needed to drop dead weight, and not lose what made us good. All that happened, and our deficiencies now became an asset. Training camp is going to be a bloodbath, with no starting roles in stone; starters and starting capable backups for all 5 spots, yahtzee!!!
With the improvements in PG play, perimeter skill and bench subtraction AND addition, I think this team is going to be fighting for homecourt advantage in the playoffs. I think 4th is absolutely going to be attainable.

In a very very VERY tight Western Conference Utah pulls off a 54-28 record, homecourt advantage and a very uncomfortable first round matchup with San An!!! But we do have homecourt this time....... Very Happy

PS: we'll need some more Prediction threads Troll to predict our predictions. Al also is going to be an All Star, Burks is going to be in the running for both 6th man and MIP, and we are going to have at least 3, possibly 4 guys shoot over 40% from 3 land.
Oh yea, and all the "pro pundits" are all saying the same dumb stuff that Utah will fight for a playoff seed this year......give me a break.

PPS: Wheres Calgary Crow??!!! I dont even know how to make predictions without someone calling me an idiot.

I'll be your huckleberry.....Idiot! I love you
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Trollificus wrote:
Well HOW excited, Romo?

I'm about 54 wins excited, and that's pretty damn excited!!

And yes, that's optimistic.

A harder prediction is..."What will the consensus from the sportswriters, gurus, NBA "experts" and general know-it-alls?" I'm guessing the Jazz will be considered a 44-40 team and out of the #8 spot.

Seriously, I don't think the changes are enough to impress the national guys and they aren't smart enough to see a) the improvments were made giving up NOTHING and b) the almost-certain improvement in our young lottery guys.

I also predict I'll predict the most predictions about other people's predictions.

Like I said 53 wins worth of excitement. Are you playing in my ff league this year. I'm saving a spot for you, but if you aren't gonna play let me know. Cool
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 pm

I'll go an even 50 wins.

Someone (or two ppl) said with the improving youngsters and vets coming in to take Bell and CJ's minutes we HAVE to improve.
Those improvements should be noticeable with the away games from the above logic. The Jazz did quite well last yr at home... I think their swag will improve on the road with all the additions.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Bleacher Report http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1267264-nba-power-rankings-post-summer-league-edition/page/13 has their post-summer league power rankings with Jazz at 19th and not being as good as last year. Yeah, I know, a ranking this early in the season by a writer who really has no real insight into about 25 teams is only worth about nothing.

That said, through his eyes the Jazz are stocked with average at best point guards and quite a number of under-performing lotto picks. (Of course, if all those lotto picks were stars, well, the Jazz would own the Championship for about five straight years).

So, is the writer a dose of cold water in our homer faces or are we seriously deluded? I go with some simple logic; the Jazz will be much better than last year, they finished 8th in the West which is arguably about 12th overall, and I'm not seeing any teams finishing below them last year suddenly going to be better, particulalry in the West. But not making the playoffs? Really fuggin doubt that happens.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:44 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Bleacher Report http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1267264-nba-power-rankings-post-summer-league-edition/page/13 has their post-summer league power rankings with Jazz at 19th and not being as good as last year. Yeah, I know, a ranking this early in the season by a writer who really has no real insight into about 25 teams is only worth about nothing.

That said, through his eyes the Jazz are stocked with average at best point guards and quite a number of under-performing lotto picks. (Of course, if all those lotto picks were stars, well, the Jazz would own the Championship for about five straight years).

So, is the writer a dose of cold water in our homer faces or are we seriously deluded? I go with some simple logic; the Jazz will be much better than last year, they finished 8th in the West which is arguably about 12th overall, and I'm not seeing any teams finishing below them last year suddenly going to be better, particulalry in the West. But not making the playoffs? Really fuggin doubt that happens.

Well it's bleacher report so what do you expect? 19th is horseshit. It's not just me being a homer either. I predicted 15 wins last season, so I don't automatically assume the Jazz are gonna be great every year.

The guy is one of those idiots that only think you are improved if you sign a superstar. Not taking into account that KOC went out and addressed the areas that were a weakness for the Jazz last season.

Around January you are gonna see people talking about the "surprising Jazz". They are only going to be surprised because they were too lazy to study teams outside of the *****, Heat, Spurs and Nets. This team is being constructed in the proper way and that's not sexy enough for most media outside SL to want to followl
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:49 pm

He didn't even get Mo Williams age right! Tells you all you need to know about the dude doing his homework on the Jazz. He used the point of Williams being a backup PG last season as a reason for the downgrade from D Harris. HE WAS A BACKUP TO CP3. 95% of the pgs in NBA would be backups to Paul.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Romoholic wrote:

The guy is one of those idiots that only think you are improved if you sign a superstar. Not taking into account that KOC went out and addressed the areas that were a weakness for the Jazz last season.

Around January you are gonna see people talking about the "surprising Jazz". They are only going to be surprised because they were too lazy to study teams outside of the *****, Heat, Spurs and Nets. This team is being constructed in the proper way and that's not sexy enough for most media outside SL to want to followl

That is truly ridiculous, its amazing how uninformed he is. This is no homer stuff, all you have to do is look at the teams that finished above and below Utah and make your judgement there. Yes the ***** got better, yes the Clippers got better, OKC will be slightly better. San Antonio is the same, but they did smoke us. So there, those 4 teams still finish above us. You have Memphis who lost OJ Mayo, which, eh, not much of a difference. But they didn't get better. Then you get to Utah who absolutely addressed all their needs, but didn't lose a thing, not a THING that made them good enough for 8th last year. So they will be better. However, Denver is exactly the same, Dallas got worse and Houston is horribly worse. Denver/Dallas finished above Utah, but just barely. Houston was fighting Utah for 8th. So for all intents and purposes, Utah will be better than all of them. Not to mention, between Dallas, Denver, Memphis and Utah, as far as I know Utah is the only one of the 4 that can be expected to have serious improvement from their 2nd and 3rd year players.

It's not like its homer, or blind hope, its just basketball sense.
(Utah beats out Memphis and just barely skips past San Antonio for 4th and homecourt!)
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:11 pm

I will tell you what Looking at the Jazz player's Hayward, Burks, Foye and Mo Williams they are all ball handler's that can hit shots to stretch the floor and that in its self is going to make the Jazz a much improved team No Question about it and if Marv Williams come's in and can hit the 3 pt shot like we have seen him do this is a very good shooting team unlike year's past with the ability to make the pass out to the open man, team's are going to have to guard them. That is going to open up the paint for the big's and they could have their best season ever these guys have shown that they can put the ball in the hoop and with room in the paint they are going to be ever harder to defend and if that don't show improvement then some guys just don't know what they are talking about.

The only real weakness I see with the Jazz is size compared to other team's in the West they are a small team and that is going to make things tough on them being in Western Conference I hate to say. I know that there are some on here that think otherwise they have told me so but Height in the NBA make's a very big difference in the Playoffs even with the new rules thing's don't come easy in the paint at that time of the season, that's why it is said that defense win's titles and size has everything to do with defending the basket and getting rebound. I think one of the big problem's for the Jazz last season what getting rebounds at the end of game's they just did not have the size to get the job done against the big's in the West.

So if the Jazz are going to make any more moves this season using Watson and Bell as bait then I myself would like to see them add a true 7 footer with the ability to defend the basket and rebound at the end of games when the Jazz needs to get the rebounding job done. There is one guy that come's to my mind that I think the Jazz might be able to get for Watson and Bell who IMO could really help them as a player coming off of the bench B.J. Mullens from the Bobcats the guy can hit shot's out to the 3 pt line and has shown he can rebound who is a true 7 footer. The Bobcats are short on the PG position and a veteran like Watson as the 3rd PG could really help this team and with them picking up Brendan Haywood and already having Bismack Biyombo, DeSagana Diop and Tyrus Thomas there's not going to be very much playing time for Mullens so they might be willing to deal him. I think this Kid can become a pretty good role player in the NBA a guy that has shooting skills and is 7 feet tall will always have a place in this league.

Successful Trade Scenario

Due to Utah being over the cap, the 50% trade rule is invoked. Utah had to be no more than 150% plus $100,000 of the salary given out, or no more than $5,000,000 (whichever is lesser), for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID #6139006

Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Utah Jazz Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +8.3 ppg, +4.0 rpg, and -2.8 apg.
Incoming Players

Reggie Williams 25 year old , 6-6, 210 lb F from Virginia Military
8.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.8 apg in 22.6 minutes

B.J. Mullens 23 year old , 7-0, 275 lb C from Ohio State
9.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.9 apg in 22.5 minutes

Outgoing Players

Raja Bell 35 year old , 6-5, 204 lb G from Florida International
6.4 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 23.4 minutes in 2011-2012

Earl Watson 33 year old , 6-1, 195 lb G from UCLA
3.0 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 4.3 apg in 20.6 minutes in 2011-2012

Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Alright, who has Hollingers rankings for teams? I'm definitely interested, after Bleacherreport blew their opinion straight out of their....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FuturePowerRankings-1-120815/1-5
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Alright, who has Hollingers rankings for teams? I'm definitely interested, after Bleacherreport blew their opinion straight out of their....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FuturePowerRankings-1-120815/1-5

He has jazz ranked 4th behind Miami, OKC, and LAL.

Said he:

Quote :
A year and half ago, the Jazz looked dead in the water. Franchise legend Jerry Sloan retired in the middle of the season and All-Star point guard Deron Williams was abruptly shipped to the Nets at the trade deadline for a handful of prospects.

But after two really solid summers and a better-than-expected season in 2011-12, our optimism for the Jazz has never been higher. How does a No. 8-seed in the Western Conference without any stars warrant such a position?

Despite working in a less-than-desirable market, Jazz executive vice president Kevin O'Connor continues to be proactive in rebuilding this roster in a way that keeps the team winning while adding young pieces for the future.

The Jazz have solid veterans such as Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson, but they also have very intriguing young players being groomed at multiple positions. Derrick Favors, a No. 3 overall pick, looked like a potential stud at the end of last season. Gordon Hayward improved dramatically in his second year. And lottery picks Enes Kanter and Alec Burks showed potential in their rookie season.

This summer, the Jazz took another step forward by acquiring point guard Mo Williams for essentially nothing. We believe Williams is a major upgrade over Devin Harris and should help bring stability to the roster. The addition of Marvin Williams should also help. While Marvin Williams has failed to live up to his pre-draft reputation, the player once selected a spot ahead of Deron Williams is still a solid defender who adds a veteran presence at the 3.

O'Connor has also been the master at acquiring additional lottery picks over the years, and the Jazz are set to grab another one from the Golden State Warriors in 2013. The team is also poised to have some real money to work with next summer when Jefferson, Millsap and Mo Williams come off the books.

The Jazz also put a succession plan for the 63-year-old O'Connor in motion this summer by appointing Dennis Lindsey of the Spurs as their new general manager. Lindsey is highly regarded by just about everyone in the league and should be ready to run things after being mentored by Carroll Dawson, R.C. Buford and now O'Connor.

The Jazz are still a year or two and a piece or two away from being serious contenders, but all signs continue to point in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 pm

These were ESPN's "future power rankings". If you haven't heard of those, here is their definition and justification:

Quote :
The Future Power Rankings are ESPN Insider's projection of the on-court success expected for each team in the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

HOW FUTURE POWER RATING IS DETERMINED
PLAYERS (0 to 600 points): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures
MANAGEMENT (0 to 200 points): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching
MONEY (0 to 200 points): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax
MARKET (0 to 100 points): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans
DRAFT (0 to 100 points): Future draft picks; draft positioning

Quote :
Consider this a convenient way to see the direction in which your favorite team is headed.

Each of the NBA's 30 teams received an overall Future Power Rating of 0 to 1,200, based on how well we expect each team to perform in the three seasons after this season.

To determine the Future Power Rating, we rated each team in five categories (see table at right).

As you can see, we determined that the most important category is a team's current roster and the future potential of those players -- that category accounts for 50 percent of each team's overall Future Power Rating.

At the same time, we looked at many other factors, such as management, ownership, coaching, a team's spending habits, its cap situation, the reputation of the city and the franchise and what kind of draft picks we expect the team to have in the future.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:06 am

VOR, serious?? 4th??? Holy schmolley.....I may lean on the positive, but DAMN!! 4th??! Wow.

Not that I disagree with anything posted, I too think that Mo is a huge upgrade at the point, and Marv will be a huge upgrade at SF. Not to mention the youth and teams growth. Wow though, 4th. Hmmm.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 am

dongibby wrote:

The only real weakness I see with the Jazz is size compared to other team's in the West they are a small team and that is going to make things tough on them being in Western Conference I hate to say. I know that there are some on here that think otherwise they have told me so but Height in the NBA make's a very big difference in the Playoffs even with the new rules thing's don't come easy in the paint at that time of the season, that's why it is said that defense win's titles and size has everything to do with defending the basket and getting rebound. I think one of the big problem's for the Jazz last season what getting rebounds at the end of game's they just did not have the size to get the job done against the big's in the West.

So if the Jazz are going to make any more moves this season using Watson and Bell as bait then I myself would like to see them add a true 7 footer with the ability to defend the basket and rebound at the end of games when the Jazz needs to get the rebounding job done. There is one guy that come's to my mind

Jazz not tall or long? You looking at the same roster I am? You mentioned late game rebounding? That man is Enes Kanter. I think even Jazz fans are overlooking the quantum leap forward that guy is capable of making this season. Just like Favors, high young pick who took a couple of seasons to get it going on. I think the Jazz, and definitely me, are high on Kanter. He is far from a long-term project.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 am

MTJazz wrote:

Jazz not tall or long? You looking at the same roster I am? You mentioned late game rebounding? That man is Enes Kanter. I think even Jazz fans are overlooking the quantum leap forward that guy is capable of making this season. Just like Favors, high young pick who took a couple of seasons to get it going on. I think the Jazz, and definitely me, are high on Kanter. He is far from a long-term project.

Yea, thought the same thing MT. Even if Kanter was the exact same as last year, we still aren't suffering in the rebounding or size area. We killed guys most of the year in rebounds. And we know that Kanter will be better than last year, and with all the training he'll finally get, I'm betting he returns as a force to be reckoned with.
We have 3 legit 6'10-6'11 or bigger guys, and Paul who rebounds with the best of them.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
MTJazz wrote:

Yea, thought the same thing MT. Even if Kanter was the exact same as last year, we still aren't suffering in the rebounding or size area. We killed guys most of the year in rebounds. And we know that Kanter will be better than last year, and with all the training he'll finally get, I'm betting he returns as a force to be reckoned with.
We have 3 legit 6'10-6'11 or bigger guys, and Paul who rebounds with the best of them.

Dallas has two 7 footer's Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Kaman Denver has two JaVale McGee, Kosta Koufos and one that is 7'1 Timofey Mozgov Golden State has Andrew Bogut Huston has Omer Asik and Donatas Motiejunas Clipper's have DeAndre Jordan, Ryan Hollins Laker's have Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol Memphis has Marc Gasol a 7'2 guy and Hamed Haddadi at 7'2 New Orleans has Robin Lopez and Jason Smith, all I am saying is there are a lot of height in the West that's why I say the Jazz are not long or tall compared to most other team's in the West.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 pm

I picked 35 and making the playoffs for last season. This year 54. But, I bet the the roster will change and I think in a pretty substantial way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: record with current roster   record with current roster Empty

Back to top Go down

record with current roster
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next