Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Wondering... Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wondering...

Go down 
+9
ptaz66
Crunchtime1
aliveandkickin
TheMagnus
therawns
dongibby
Mutangclan
Romoholic
shelley_utahjazzfan
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shelley_utahjazzfan
Rookie
shelley_utahjazzfan

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:45 pm

How did you all get so knowledgeable about basketball? Is it just an obsession? Did you play on a team? Do you coach it?

I just like watching the Jazz, but I don't know jack about the ins and outs of the game seeing as I'm an short female who never played on a team or anything. I can shoot pretty well, but that's about it.

I also want to know who chased Calgary away by erasing his posts?
Also how many posters have been banned if any?
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:58 pm

shelley_utahjazzfan wrote:
How did you all get so knowledgeable about basketball? Is it just an obsession? Did you play on a team? Do you coach it?

I just like watching the Jazz, but I don't know jack about the ins and outs of the game seeing as I'm an short female who never played on a team or anything. I can shoot pretty well, but that's about it.

Calgary was sent an apology, but if that's not enough and he wants to be a bitch, he doesn't need to be here anyway.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
shelley_utahjazzfan
Rookie
shelley_utahjazzfan

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Why do you sound so angry?

Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:51 pm

It's a funny question Shelley, because I've always thought that if I were able to apply my seemingly endless memory of useless basketball stats and facts, to something like Physics, I would be Stephen Hawking, instead of Stephen Hawking. It's pretty ridiculous sometimes knowing who in the world Jim Les was, or that Curtis Borchardt is a Stanford man, or that Harold Miner was the first "next Jordan"......it's almost shameful. Until I end up at some trivia night somewhere and that questions are right up my alley, the significant other is impressed, and I win a free Natural Light from the creepy guy in the corner.

I played all through highschool and for the Air Force, then coached in some schools, but seriously, this knowledge is truly ridiculous. One day I'll apply myself.....

Oh, and gotta agree, Calgary was kind of a baby about the whole thing......kind of a "fine, I'll take my ball and go home then" thing...
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
It's a funny question Shelley, because I've always thought that if I were able to apply my seemingly endless memory of useless basketball stats and facts, to something like Physics, I would be Stephen Hawking, instead of Stephen Hawking. It's pretty ridiculous sometimes knowing who in the world Jim Les was, or that Curtis Borchardt is a Stanford man, or that Harold Miner was the first "next Jordan"......it's almost shameful. Until I end up at some trivia night somewhere and that questions are right up my alley, the significant other is impressed, and I win a free Natural Light from the creepy guy in the corner.

I played all through highschool and for the Air Force, then coached in some schools, but seriously, this knowledge is truly ridiculous. One day I'll apply myself.....

Oh, and gotta agree, Calgary was kind of a baby about the whole thing......kind of a "fine, I'll take my ball and go home then" thing...

Shelley if you talk to Calgary tell him to email me or something because I don't know how to let him know when fantasy basketball starts if he still want's to be part of it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 7:36 pm

It's an obsession. People growing up called me "The Schwab" after ESPN's show back when i was in high school.

I am not sure though. Yes, I watch it all the time, but i can hear a stat in basketball one time, and memorize it somehow. I was in college for a year doing sports administration hoping to get connections and become a scout of some sort. Regret not going through with that sometimes.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

I think we have only banned the one guy, and that wasn't a permanent thing, Romo just deleted his posts and put him in the penalty box. His Username was "Questioning Mother Porker" before Romo shortened it to "Questioning", and he was a total douche. I'm pretty sure it was questioningcitizen from the TT, he had the same sort of vibe, only he didn't post a lot of pics or abuse the caps so who knows.

So far everybody has been pretty cool though, Romo did a real nice Job setting this up, and I don't think it will be too much longer before we start getting some new blood trickling in, for better and worse.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 pm

My love and knowledge of basketball, and sports in general, comes in large part from my dad. He's been a High School basketball coach for years, and me and my brothers all won state championships with him as our coach, so it really is in our blood. Now-a-days all of the real basketball I get to be a part of is coaching my kids teams, but I still dream of one day getting into coaching High School ball, it's a shame it doesn't pay for crap.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Why do you sound so angry?

Not angry at all. He was given an apology and asked to come back.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:46 am

I won at every level, all championships: High school, college, and professional.............. but that was in my dreams.

Just love shooting around now with my son and like seeing the different basketball minds on here from time-to-time.

Here's a question.... w/o looking it up, what player was the last to lead the league in points and assists?

I think I remember the answer correctly.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:39 am

aliveandkickin wrote:
I won at every level, all championships: High school, college, and professional.............. but that was in my dreams.

Just love shooting around now with my son and like seeing the different basketball minds on here from time-to-time.

Here's a question.... w/o looking it up, what player was the last to lead the league in points and assists?

The Big O? (Oscar Robertson) thats my guess.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 am

therawns wrote:
aliveandkickin wrote:

The Big O? (Oscar Robertson) thats my guess.

I'll guess magic j?
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:02 am

Hmmmm, could be Isaiah, but I think I'm going with Big O also.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Nate Archibald.
Back to top Go down
shelley_utahjazzfan
Rookie
shelley_utahjazzfan

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:55 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I think we have only banned the one guy, and that wasn't a permanent thing, Romo just deleted his posts and put him in the penalty box. His Username was "Questioning Mother Porker" before Romo shortened it to "Questioning", and he was a total douche. I'm pretty sure it was questioningcitizen from the TT, he had the same sort of vibe, only he didn't post a lot of pics or abuse the caps so who knows.

So far everybody has been pretty cool though, Romo did a real nice Job setting this up, and I don't think it will be too much longer before we start getting some new blood trickling in, for better and worse.

Remember "middleroader?" He admitted to trolling here, but he usually ain't a jerkwad like you describe.

Thanks everyone who answered a question even you trivia derailers.

The steven hawking comment was amusing.

There does seem to be a good core of posters here.
Back to top Go down
ptaz66
6th man

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Background   Wondering... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:02 pm

I havn't been around for a couple of days so I just now had a chance to post on this thread. My experience comes from having played since I was about 10 or so. Then, I became an avid fan of the game. My first team was Philadelphia 76ers. When the Jazz came to Utah I converted to the home team. I guess this makes me a bit of a true homer. My interest in stats comes from doing a little coaching. Stats are an objective way to manage performance, but in my opinion are only one measure of a players worth to any team.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 8:41 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Remember "middleroader?" He admitted to trolling here, but he usually ain't a jerkwad like you describe.

Thanks everyone who answered a question even you trivia derailers.

The steven hawking comment was amusing.

There does seem to be a good core of posters here.

You mean LittleE? Or was MiddleRoader not one of his many persona's? "Questioning" could have been him. I think that our new skiier may actually be a skiier impersonator, but that is the only other person that I can think of that could even remotely be considered "trolling" around here.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 4:56 am

I believe it was Nate Archibald (spelling) but I'll look it up that lead in both asts and scoring. I think he played on the then Supersonics, a little before Jack Sickma played there- which was when I got interested in the NBA. He may have played with Sickma (spelling)...... that was a long time ago.

Ok people, let's turn this into an on-your-honor (w/o looking up the answer) thread- asking questions abut the NBA, or even any other league....NFL, college, whatever. Doubt I'll get a lot of the answers but I'll get some!!

BTW, don't give the answers till some one gets it right or it's been a few days w/o it being answered correctly.

Question: Who was the Jazz point guard before Ricky Green? (btw, I dunno the answer to that one but will look it up now)
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 am

Dang, can't find the answer yet to who was the starting pg before Green... I'll look it up later, gotta go but give your answers if you want.

Here's the answer confirmation to the previous question:

Nate Archibald. Nate "Tiny" Archibald, who played his best years for the Kansas City Kings and spent a few years as a Celtic, led the league in both categories in the 1972-73 season. He averaged 34.0 points and 11.4 assists per game
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 9:55 am

Dang man, thats before I moved to Utah and became a fan......before Rickey Green???? Argh......Pistol Pete handled the ball alot......tough one.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Any other guesses?
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Crunchtime1 wrote:
Nate Archibald.

That was my guess and it was....when? Early 70s? W/ the Celtics.

(oops. Already been answered.)

Last edited by Trollificus on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 6:40 pm

aliveandkickin wrote:
I believe it was Nate Archibald (spelling) but I'll look it up that lead in both asts and scoring. I think he played on the then Supersonics, a little before Jack Sickma played there- which was when I got interested in the NBA. He may have played with Sickma (spelling)...... that was a long time ago.

Ok people, let's turn this into an on-your-honor (w/o looking up the answer) thread- asking questions abut the NBA, or even any other league....NFL, college, whatever. Doubt I'll get a lot of the answers but I'll get some!!

BTW, don't give the answers till some one gets it right or it's been a few days w/o it being answered correctly.

Question: Who was the Jazz point guard before Ricky Green? (btw, I dunno the answer to that one but will look it up now)

Mack Calvin?? Brad Davis didn't start, so...
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 7:14 pm

When was Calg here?? Musta missed it. He shouldn't be run off by getting deleted or being banned. He should be run off by having a big glass of Vituperade (From concentrate!!) thrown in his face and told that every aspect of his argument/opinion, from the carefully misleading selection of facts to the deceptive misinterpretation of them and through to the gigantic category errors and logical fallacies he kludges together to construct his unwieldy and unreliable conclusions...is doo-doo.

At least that's how it went when he boycotted for several months after we got into it over Sloan and Kirilenko a couple years ago.

Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Well, "ability" does not automatically translate into "expertise", does it (Ref: Isaiah Thomas)?

Anyway, what makes you think everybody here is "so knowledgeable about basketball"?? Everybody here has an OPINION about everything related to B-Ball, but even people who played the game can be wrongheaded about a lot of things (Read Moneyball and you'll see that certainly applies to baseball! also ref: Isaiah Thomas). I WILL admit we have some OPINIONS round here that are pretty well-expressed and seem to be well-informed, though.

Of course, I don't accept anyones' opinions about b-ball until I've run it through a rigorous Internet Logic Test: "Does this agree with MY opinion?"

Anyway, I only played street ball, but real competitive street ball, and many years' worth of it, including a couple of carefully-managed years-long 0ne-on-One winning streaks. And my watching goes back to Wilt Chamberlain and Earl the Pearl Monroe and Moses Malone and even Jerry West days (I was way young then. Waaay young. That might've been pre-natal...). So no real formal training, but I've seen and played a lot of ball.

Just remember Internet Rule #4: "There is no inadequacy of credibility, expertise or fundamental knowledge that cannot be compensated for by use of foul language and the CapsLock key."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wondering...   Wondering... Empty

Back to top Go down

Wondering...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next