Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The state of the Utah Jazz.

Go down 
+13
dongibby
Jazz Dog
Richardale
Professo_Sloan
MTJazz
Saint Louis
The Voice of Reason
rorybreaker
Mutangclan
Trollificus
zero24gravity
TheMagnus
Romoholic
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 7:44 am

Saint Louis wrote:
dongibby wrote:
There is one player that I would like to see the Jazz try to trade for and I think there's a good chance to get him without giving up the farm Danny Granger, I know that he has been injured but because of that and the way Paul George played last season the Pacers are willing to deal him. I think he still can play at an all-star level and if the Jazz could make a good enough deal it could turnout to be a big time move for them. The SF position is one of the Jazz biggest needs and I think Granger could be the best fit at that position the Jazz could get something to think about.

I like Danny Granger as a Grant Hill-like addition to any team. If the money were right, bring him on board. I have a better idea, though. Talk to CP3. Get a feel for what it would take to bring him here. We may have a few pieces he already likes. I don't think maximizing the money they can make is always a player's prime motive when they can make their own decisions. CP3 has never really been given a chance to determine where he plays-- he was drafted to one team, almost traded to another (which the league vetoed), then traded. CP3 controls the next move-- maybe he'll want to play for the team that produced the all-time assist leader and stealer in NBA history. Give him a say as to who he wants to play with, and use our cap space to provide it!

No way he would come here, but it would be awesome. I can imagine how much better he would make Favors, Kanter and Hayward! I do agree they should at least see what his interest is. It would be a major shock to the league if were were able to snag him.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Saint Louis wrote:
dongibby wrote:
There is one player that I would like to see the Jazz try to trade for and I think there's a good chance to get him without giving up the farm Danny Granger, I know that he has been injured but because of that and the way Paul George played last season the Pacers are willing to deal him. I think he still can play at an all-star level and if the Jazz could make a good enough deal it could turnout to be a big time move for them. The SF position is one of the Jazz biggest needs and I think Granger could be the best fit at that position the Jazz could get something to think about.

I like Danny Granger as a Grant Hill-like addition to any team. If the money were right, bring him on board. I have a better idea, though. Talk to CP3. Get a feel for what it would take to bring him here. We may have a few pieces he already likes. I don't think maximizing the money they can make is always a player's prime motive when they can make their own decisions. CP3 has never really been given a chance to determine where he plays-- he was drafted to one team, almost traded to another (which the league vetoed), then traded. CP3 controls the next move-- maybe he'll want to play for the team that produced the all-time assist leader and stealer in NBA history. Give him a say as to who he wants to play with, and use our cap space to provide it!

Jazz will throw some money at Chris Paul for sure, and maybe it will just be leverage for him against the Clips. He's not coming but it'll be fun for a week or so to imagine.

I wonder if Granger is healthy, REALLY wonder. I'd love to see him next to Gordo on the wings. He's not my first option, or my 4th even, but if he was healthy he'd be sweet.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 7:54 pm

I don't have any inside info on CP3's mindset for what he wants for himself, so, I'm winging it. CP3 is now AT his prime, and I don't think he's where he thought he should be. I don't believe his situation in LA maximizes his talent or his aspirations. Whether it's with the Jazz, or another team, CP3 needs a team that can use him for what he does best, and, CP3 needs a team he can use to make the best of himself. The Jazz is a team that can provide CP3 with both. Hey hay, DC, Favors, Evans, and Kanter are all pieces of a team that could elevate CP3 to the spot he deserves and can still attain. The Jazz have cap-space enough to either keep some of our other players or bring in another high impact player CP3 could use on what would be HIS team.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 10:41 am

Saint Louis wrote:
I don't have any inside info on CP3's mindset for what he wants for himself, so, I'm winging it. CP3 is now AT his prime, and I don't think he's where he thought he should be. I don't believe his situation in LA maximizes his talent or his aspirations. Whether it's with the Jazz, or another team, CP3 needs a team that can use him for what he does best, and, CP3 needs a team he can use to make the best of himself. The Jazz is a team that can provide CP3 with both. Hey hay, DC, Favors, Evans, and Kanter are all pieces of a team that could elevate CP3 to the spot he deserves and can still attain. The Jazz have cap-space enough to either keep some of our other players or bring in another high impact player CP3 could use on what would be HIS team.

CP3 is a player that you will never see play for the Jazz I am pretty sure of that if he goes anywhere other than the Clips it will be the Knicks mark my words, Ya it would be great to have him but lets face it that is never going to happen. If it is true that the Jazz are leaning toward giving the team to the Young guy's nest season selling something like that to a player like CP3 will be very hard to do, I like our players but they are far from being a proven commodity in the NBA unlike some of the players Paul already has playing along side of him that's for sure.

I am not so sure that Granger would not want to play in Utah like someone has talked about the Pacers are a small market team like the Jazz and with him playing his college ball with the LoBo's it would be something he is used to. I think as long as he has a leading part on the team he would play anywhere and if he could play up to where he was before he got injured he would be a very big pick up for the Jazz if not then with only 1 season on his contract the Jazz could use him as a trading chip going into the trading deadline next season. I see two things the Jazz needs a quality SF and a quality PG and if they can find an answer to either of these two positions this summer at a decent price tag then they really need to look at it.
Back to top Go down
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 11:37 am

dongibby wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:

CP3 is a player that you will never see play for the Jazz I am pretty sure of that if he goes anywhere other than the Clips it will be the Knicks mark my words, Ya it would be great to have him but lets face it that is never going to happen. If it is true that the Jazz are leaning toward giving the team to the Young guy's nest season selling something like that to a player like CP3 will be very hard to do, I like our players but they are far from being a proven commodity in the NBA unlike some of the players Paul already has playing along side of him that's for sure.

I am not so sure that Granger would not want to play in Utah like someone has talked about the Pacers are a small market team like the Jazz and with him playing his college ball with the LoBo's it would be something he is used to. I think as long as he has a leading part on the team he would play anywhere and if he could play up to where he was before he got injured he would be a very big pick up for the Jazz if not then with only 1 season on his contract the Jazz could use him as a trading chip going into the trading deadline next season. I see two things the Jazz needs a quality SF and a quality PG and if they can find an answer to either of these two positions this summer at a decent price tag then they really need to look at it.

I dunno. CP3 played for Wake Forest, and that isn't exactly located point blank in a megalopolis, so are we really certain he wouldn't choose a small market? I mean, if the situation is right?

The Jazz have mega-capspace, so go ahead and sign him for max money and years, and put him in the driver's seat, any other free agents he can convince to sign with the Jazz and they sign 'em. Throw in a Honda/Toyota car dealership in the city of his choice, a lifetime free entry to Chuck-A-Rama for him and all of his kin, a talk show for his "twin brother" on KJZZ, a statue right in between the other two statues (Chris will be stealing the pass from Stockton to Malone), AK-47's former mansion up near the Capitol and a song dedicated to CP3, and performed by Big-T Thurl Bailey, Donny and Marie, accompanied by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, ft. Eminem and Rihanna. That should do it, but honor any other crazy requests he might have.

Earlier in this thread I was talking "stand pat" with the Young Guns and let the free agents walk. But if you are going to play, play big. None of this penny ante shit. Go after CP3 right from the get-go, and let the chips fall where they may.

I am Thejazzkickazz and I endorse this message.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:22 pm

[quote=I dunno. CP3 played for Wake Forest, and that isn't exactly located point blank in a megalopolis, so are we really certain he wouldn't choose a small market? I mean, if the situation is right?

I am Thejazzkickazz and I endorse this message.[/quote]

With team's like the Knicks, Lakers or even the Mav's that have deep pockets who can afford to pay the tax of putting together supper teams a guy CP3 would be their top target and the Jazz just can't compete against that and that's why we won't be seeing him on the Jazz. The Jazz needs to try to do what it takes to try to get him to sign in Utah but at the end of the day the chances of that ever happening is very very low almost none at all IMHO.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:32 pm

dongibby wrote:

With team's like the Knicks, Lakers or even the Mav's that have deep pockets who can afford to pay the tax of putting together supper teams a guy CP3 would be their top target and the Jazz just can't compete against that and that's why we won't be seeing him on the Jazz. The Jazz needs to try to do what it takes to try to get him to sign in Utah but at the end of the day the chances of that ever happening is very very low almost none at all IMHO.

Exactly. I can't imagine that the Jazz won't try, but since Utah can't offer anything that another team can't, it's HIGHLY unlikley that the Jazz would even be on his top 5 list of suitors this summer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: One thought   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 1:53 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
dongibby wrote:

Exactly. I can't imagine that the Jazz won't try, but since Utah can't offer anything that another team can't, it's HIGHLY unlikley that the Jazz would even be on his top 5 list of suitors this summer.

There is one thought I haven't seen thrown out there and its this. Coming to the Jazz and succeeding where Deron Williams failed might add a little spice to the conversation. Not saying it would sway him over a better offer, but with all offers being equal monetarily, it might be a small selling point then. Might not be a big point, but then again, it might just appeal to his ego.
Back to top Go down
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:06 pm

dongibby wrote:
[quote=I dunno. CP3 played for Wake Forest, and that isn't exactly located point blank in a megalopolis, so are we really certain he wouldn't choose a small market? I mean, if the situation is right?

With team's like the Knicks, Lakers or even the Mav's that have deep pockets who can afford to pay the tax of putting together supper teams a guy CP3 would be their top target and the Jazz just can't compete against that and that's why we won't be seeing him on the Jazz. The Jazz needs to try to do what it takes to try to get him to sign in Utah but at the end of the day the chances of that ever happening is very very low almost none at all IMHO. [/quote]

Those teams don't have the Osmonds, Thurl "Big-T" Bailey and the entire Mormon Tabernacle Choir. C'mon, man, read my entire post!
Back to top Go down
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Problem(s)   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:29 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:
I don't think Ty gets it, watching the second half of the Memphis game was a perfect example of the Jazz's season.
What scares me is that next year won't be any different except Lindsey might bring in guys like Dudley, Kaman, Ridnour, Jimmer, one retread after another.
I can just see Burks (if he isn't traded) playing behind Ronnie Brewer.

I actually have faith in Lindsey (for now). At least I'm gonna give him one draft and one off season before I get on the #FireLindsey bandwagon. Smile
From everything I've heard from him...I kind of like him. To be fair to him, I think we need to let him get his fingerprints on this team. He basically inherited KOC's doings.
Will he be any better or different? Time will tell. But I have faith he will be a good GM.

I think Lindsey aided by KOC will certainly do everything they can to improve the team and bring in the kind of talent we need. However, there comes a point to where it takes more than just good Management. The Jazz are a small market team which tends to be a strike against them. Combine this with a new/poor coach and it makes things a lot tougher.

Given our position, I wish we would try and get a coach who would be a positive when recruiting new talent. I appreciate the loyalty of the Miller's in some cases, but with a team this young I can't help but think they need a more veteran coach to lead them, so both the team and the coach are not growing at the same time. It's hard to get guys to buy into a system if you're still unsure and learning as a Coach what you want your system to even look like. For me I think this is the biggest struggle Coach Corbin has and is exhibited by the teams lack of identity on the floor night in and night out.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 4:36 pm

ptaz66 wrote:

I think Lindsey aided by KOC will certainly do everything they can to improve the team and bring in the kind of talent we need. However, there comes a point to where it takes more than just good Management. The Jazz are a small market team which tends to be a strike against them. Combine this with a new/poor coach and it makes things a lot tougher.

Given our position, I wish we would try and get a coach who would be a positive when recruiting new talent. I appreciate the loyalty of the Miller's in some cases, but with a team this young I can't help but think they need a more veteran coach to lead them, so both the team and the coach are not growing at the same time. It's hard to get guys to buy into a system if you're still unsure and learning as a Coach what you want your system to even look like. For me I think this is the biggest struggle Coach Corbin has and is exhibited by the teams lack of identity on the floor night in and night out.

Man, you beat me to it. We need a Coach that IS a selling point. You can see the writing on the wall that CP3 etc are not liking Del Negro there. So he's going to choose a team with Corbin leading them? Not going to happen.
Yet another reason this team needs a strong coach, has experience winning, and knows X's and O's. Whats' more attractive at likely at this point, Nate McMillian recruiting CP3 and together they lead the Jazz to the playoffs? Or Ty Corbin recruiting CP3 and aaahahahahahaha, sorry can't finish that one.
CP3 isn't coming to Utah, however, if there was a small chance of it, no way he comes here and lets Corbin be the man in charge. Especially after DelNegro.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 11:01 pm

ptaz66 wrote:

There is one thought I haven't seen thrown out there and its this. Coming to the Jazz and succeeding where Deron Williams failed might add a little spice to the conversation. Not saying it would sway him over a better offer, but with all offers being equal monetarily, it might be a small selling point then. Might not be a big point, but then again, it might just appeal to his ego.

Nice. That's an interesting little point that I hadn't thought of...sad thing is, it's a little point.

If the money were equal, given the good organization (and the Jazz do have a good rep with the players, I believe), the young talent, the chance for it to be, without challenge, his team, and with an attractive coach...if it were a really close call between the Jazz and some other team...I actually think that consideration might be a tipping point. A chance for a more conclusive and definitive "win" over Deron than any stats, single game matchup or even playoff series could provide? Hells yeah that would be attractive to him!

Sadly, all else is not equal, in particular the coaching situation and the eminence of being in contention for a championship. Too bad.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:49 am

Not that the Jazz would ever roll this way (they don't allow the inmates to run the asylum, which is fine by me)..... but what about telling CP3 that in addition to his fat max contract, they will also go out & try to sign any available coach he wants, if Ty aint his guy?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 3:16 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Not that the Jazz would ever roll this way (they don't allow the inmates to run the asylum, which is fine by me)..... but what about telling CP3 that in addition to his fat max contract, they will also go out & try to sign any available coach he wants, if Ty aint his guy?

According to the rumuor section of HoopsHype.com, CP3 has previously been given considerable say concerning the Clipper roster and will be given considerable say concerning Vinnie and a potential new Clipper coach if they fire Vinnie. By the way, did anybody really expect the Clips to beat Memphis in the opening round with Griffin hurt and playing very limited, ineffective minutes over the last two games? The Clips regular season 56 wins were not too shabby imho.

HoopsHype references where the rumuors come from, so I guess people can decide for themselves whether the rumuors are credible.

Last edited by Crunchtime1 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Crunchtime1 wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

According to the rumuor section of HoopsHype.com, CP3 has previously been given considerable say concerning the Clipper roster and he will be given considerable say concerning whether to fire Vinnie and the next Clipper coach if they fire Vinnie. By the way, did anybody really expect the Clips to beat Memphis in the opening round with Griffin hurt and playing very limited, ineffective minutes over the last two games? The Clips regular season 56 wins were not too shabby imho.

HoopsHype references where the rumuors come from, so I guess people can decide for themselves whether the rumuors are credible.

Del Negro has been on that hotseat for quite some time, and even with Griffin's injury, he's still going to be fired I bet. Then Chris Paul will wait to see who they hire, and then sign.
Back to top Go down
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Could the Jazz just sign Chris Paul as a player-head coach, giving him both salaries, and then also hire him as general manager and president of the team, complete with those salaries as well? Is that against league rules? If not, I say we go for it and up the ante.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 1:51 am

thejazzkickazz wrote:
dongibby wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:

I dunno. CP3 played for Wake Forest, and that isn't exactly located point blank in a megalopolis, so are we really certain he wouldn't choose a small market? I mean, if the situation is right?

The Jazz have mega-capspace, so go ahead and sign him for max money and years, and put him in the driver's seat, any other free agents he can convince to sign with the Jazz and they sign 'em. Throw in a Honda/Toyota car dealership in the city of his choice, a lifetime free entry to Chuck-A-Rama for him and all of his kin, a talk show for his "twin brother" on KJZZ, a statue right in between the other two statues (Chris will be stealing the pass from Stockton to Malone), AK-47's former mansion up near the Capitol and a song dedicated to CP3, and performed by Big-T Thurl Bailey, Donny and Marie, accompanied by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, ft. Eminem and Rihanna. That should do it, but honor any other crazy requests he might have.

Earlier in this thread I was talking "stand pat" with the Young Guns and let the free agents walk. But if you are going to play, play big. None of this penny ante shit. Go after CP3 right from the get-go, and let the chips fall where they may.

LOL, Jazzkickazz, excellent response. Actually, some good points mixed in with the humor. I think the young decision of CP3 to go to the ACC is very telling as to what he might choose for himself. I think CP3 really wants to play and be one of the best in the history of basketball. I don't think commercial contracts, or even playing for a big market team are utmost in his mindset. (Then again, like I said earlier, I don't have any inside knowledge to his desires). But, I have enough insight to see CP3 wants to maximize his impact on the game.

The Jazz are in a prime position, financially, to give CP3 exactly what he needs to be on top of the pile. The Jazz have room for giving CP3 a decent salary, and, room enough to bring in another high-level FA (or, resigning one of our own FAs). Miami capitalized on LeBron's Media farce to build a very deep team filled with reserves that would be starters for most other teams. The Jazz could do the same, but on an under the radar level. We already have the backbone of a great team with our young talent. CP3 and _______ (let CP3 say who fills in that blank) could put us back on top of the Western Conference-- and capable of beating the Miami superteam.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyThu May 23, 2013 4:51 pm

So...it is reported that the Celtics are already working out 12 prospects. What are the Jazz up to in that department????
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:46 am

MTJazz wrote:
So...it is reported that the Celtics are already working out 12 prospects. What are the Jazz up to in that department????

The Jazz already had 6 guys in for a workout.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865579794/Utah-Jazz-to-host-first-pre-draft-workout-with-four-guards-two-bigs.html

And they attended the big workout in New Jersey this week and Minnesota next week. And I'm sure they will soon be having more individual workouts.

At the NJ workout another PG was impressing scouts, Pierre Jackson from Baylor. He's a Nate Robinson type, only 5'10" tall, but a crazy athlete.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 11:16 am

SALT LAKE CITY — General manager Dennis Lindsey believes there are a number of NBA teams who'd want to "trade spots" with the Utah Jazz this offseason.

And, no, not because they've had early summer vacations in the Beehive State in two of the past three years. In this business, that's a bad thing.

Rather, Lindsey has a list of reasons why the Jazz are in a prime position for a bright future, and he's willing to rattle it off at a moment's notice.

"We have a great story to tell about the history of the organization," he said. "I think we have plenty of roster spots and a lot of salary cap to pay good players. I think we have two good draft picks that I'm very optimistic that we'll get some good, at minimum, role players that fit our culture."

And that just scratches the surface.

Though upset about Utah missing the playoffs, Lindsey continued to hit a variety of positive talking points that shed a positive light on a negative situation, considering his end-of-season interview took place in April instead of June.

The Jazz have only had two losing records in the past 30 seasons.

Utah has a strong home-court advantage thanks to "an arena that's passionate."

The organization has "high standards and high expectations."

The team also owns Bird Rights to multiple veteran free agents (Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap), which gives the Jazz advantages over other teams in signing them or making sign-and-trade deals.

Then there is the piece(s) de resistance.

The biggest reason(s) for an optimistic outlook.

The youthful and dynamic combination of tantalizing talent that has become known as the Core Four: Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks.

You know, the guys fans grumbled about not seeing enough of in recent seasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad Rock talks on 1320AM KFAN about the Jazz's youth movement and the team's hopes of getting back into contention. You can listen to the entire interview here

00:00

02:10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsey referred to that group, along with former Slam Dunk champion Jeremy Evans, as being "young players that can develop into core-level players we want to build around."

Yes, the Jazz are fully aware that they missed out on the postseason party for the fifth time in the past decade.

"We fell short of one of our goals," Lindsey admitted.

But the narrative — that yet told "great story" of the franchise's history — is one that offers hope for an exciting and win-filled future.

Maybe even a season with a happy ending in June.

"We have a lot of options — whether it's to be bold right now if that opportunity presents itself or to be really strategic and patient," Lindsey said. "So, we're real fortunate."

Lindsey has his work cut out for him over the next couple of months to help turn that optimism into realism.

Those five aforementioned players are the only guys with guaranteed roster spots for next season. It's likely that small forward Marvin Williams will take the $7.5 million player option for the final year of his deal, and it's possible Kevin Murphy will be back for another go.

Other than that, Utah has between six and nine roster spots to fill before training camp rolls around in October.

Utah has three picks in the upcoming draft — its own lottery selection (likely No. 14), the No. 21 pick from Golden State to finalize the Deron Williams deal, and a No. 46 choice in the second round.

As it stands, the Jazz only have about $18.3 million worth of salary on the books for the 2013-14 season. The league's minimum payroll for this past season was $49.3 million, meaning Utah has a lot of money to spend — through various transaction means — in building around its Core Four.

"Whether it's via the draft, free agency or trade, there are a lot of interesting things that will come our way and we'll decide from a value standpoint if that has some merit or not," Lindsey said. "If it doesn't, we'll continue to be patient."

Jazz management, including Lindsey and executive vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor, have admitted coach Tyrone Corbin was put in a difficult position this past season. Not only did the team have nine pending free agents, but it was a mix-and-match mixture of proven veterans and promising youngsters all vying for playing time.

Corbin often relied on the guys who've toiled in the league longer while limiting the younger players to mostly reserve roles. That became a sore spot for critics, who would've preferred to see more cutting-of-teeth happen, especially since it was a given that Utah was not a contender this past season.

Hayward was the exception, but he was only fourth on the team in minutes averaged (29.2 per game). Favors played 23.2 minutes an outing, while Burks (17.8 mpg) and Kanter (15.4 mpg) were even more limited in appearances.

Expect that to change next season.

Progress is something that's hard to quantify, but Corbin believes his young guys each made big steps this past season in the way they handled themselves in practice and in playing situations.

Hayward became a more reliable outside threat, and the 6-foot-8 shooting guard added a variety of offensive moves to his increasingly solid all-around game.

The 6-10 Favors, with his strength and athleticism, proved to be a dominant defensive player and offered glimpses of being a capable scorer down low and from mid-range.

Kanter, a 6-11 center with an improved physique, made the biggest leap of anyone after his rookie campaign, showing that he's able to crash the boards, score inside and out, and play tough defense in the post before having his season abruptly ended with a surgery-requiring shoulder injury.

And, after a string of Did Not Play-Coach's Decision games and inconsistent opportunities, the energetic 6-6 Burks was given opportunities to grow at point guard and as a slashing and scoring shooting guard in certain situations during his second season.

"I think we're much further ahead," Corbin said. "I think the experiences put us further ahead."

With that in mind, the biggest question during this offseason in regards to the Core Four is simply: Are Favors and Kanter ready to make the leap from sidekicks to starters?

It's uncertain whether the Jazz will try to bring back Jefferson or Millsap, and if they don't return, it's likely Favors and Kanter, the No. 3 picks from the 2010 and '11 drafts, respectively, will get huge opportunities.

"They're better. We'll see where it goes," Corbin said. "If that's where things end up, then they'll be ready to go."

Even so, Corbin was quick to point out that Favors (who turns 22 in July) and Kanter (who'll be 21 on May 20) are "still two young guys."

"It's a lot to ask of them, but the experience that we've had in the last two (years) will help in those areas," Corbin said. "They have to increase their play on the floor. We'll have a great summer of developing and getting them ready for this year (2013-14)."

The Jazz will also expect bigger things from Hayward, who averaged more points (14.1 vs. 11.Cool this past season despite playing a minute less per game than he did in 2011-12.

"I thought he showed growth in a lot of areas this year," Corbin said. "Gordon will be a guy that can carry us at times, and that process you have to grow into, and I think he's getting a better understanding from the first year he was here to last year to this year of how he can carry us on the offensive end, how he can make plays for us on the defensive end, how he can make plays with the ball in his hands or without the ball in his hands."

But it's not just scoring, passing and defense Utah wants from Hayward, who'll be in his fourth season.

On locker clean-out day, Lindsey was asked about Hayward taking on a more vocal leadership role — something that the 23-year-old previously has been reluctant to do out of respect for veterans on the team.

Jazz management "challenged" Hayward to take more of a leadership role in the future, Lindsey said.

"Clearly, Gordon's a core piece going forward and I think he has a lot of leadership qualities, but he's a respectful guy," said Lindsey, adding that Hall of Fame players like John Stockton, Karl Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler and Tim Duncan took years to develop those intangible skills.

"I think it's safe to say that in many ways Gordon's going to have to grab our team a little like he did at Butler and say, 'OK, here we go. This is how we do things,' " Lindsey said. "Not even so much taking shots and running plays as it is, 'This is the way the Utah Jazz do their business.' "

The Jazz are confident other players will follow the lead of the amicable but soft-spoken 23-year-old.

"It would be empty if Gordon wasn't a good example, but he's a very good example. So I think that's the start," Lindsey said. "We all have the guys that say, 'Do this,' but they're doing the exact opposite. He walks the walk. I think Ty appropriately laid that (leadership) challenge to Gordon, and I think Gordon will respond."

For Hayward, his biggest focus this offseason is on making enough improvements to ensure that the Jazz don't end their season on April 17 like they did this year.

"I go into the summer knowing there's a lot of things to get better on and a lot of things I can still improve on in my game," he said. "And not making the playoffs is obviously going to be some motivation for that."

Hayward is as excited as anyone about the possibility of playing a bigger role with the Core Four.

"It's fun playing with those guys," he said. "I think they have a lot of talent, and if we work hard we can do a lot of things."

For what it's worth, Favors was as ticked off as Hayward about not being in the postseason. The day after the Jazz were eliminated with a season-ending loss to Memphis, the 6-10 big man said he wasn't going to watch a minute of the NBA playoff basketball. After the postseason began, he even tweeted, "I hate not being able to play in the playoffs."

If the Jazz's gamble to trade D-Will for two of the Core Four pieces (and a first-round pick this summer) pays off like the organization's ownership and management are counting on, Favors won't ever have to tweet anything like that again. (Favors and Hayward, by the way, can both begin working out contract extensions with the Jazz beginning in July.)

"We've still got a lot of work to do," Favors added, "but hopefully we can have a big future."

Though it's uncertain whether he's the point guard of the Jazz's future, Mo Williams also gives a glowing endorsement of Utah's youth movement — with a twist, though. While many Jazz fans are eager to see a bright, young point guard brought in, Williams believes they still need some experienced players around them — perhaps him.

"Their ceiling is high," Williams said. "It depends on what direction they (Jazz management) want to go. They've got a lot of young guys, and we can be really good."

Williams lamented the fact that his season (and the Jazz's) got somewhat derailed by his thumb surgery, which kept him out for 32 games. He and the team improved down the stretch, winning nine of their last 12, but it was too little, too late.

"With those young guys, they're going to need some veteran guys around them," Williams said. "They're going to grow next year. How much? I don't think the front office knows. That's one of the things that I think is up in the air."

Interestingly, one of the players with the most optimism about the Jazz's future might never play for the franchise again. Veteran point guard Earl Watson, a free agent this summer, beamed while talking about the prospects of the young guys he's befriended and helped so much over the past three seasons.

"The young core is going to be amazing for the future," Watson said. "Enes Kanter is going to be a great player, the bigs with Fav, and Gordon and Alec — the future is bright."

I like this and had to post.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 11:38 am

Well, that certainly is a lot of sunshine DL is sellling - nothing new at all, no hints of anything. Basically, "We will do something if we want or maybe we won't and see." Call me a fan, but it would be nice to hear something tangible with respect to strategy besides "Our young guys are awesome!" Like, "We're balancing the opportunities between bringing in top flight veterans to round out the youth versus giving the young guys lots of run this coming year and then making hay in the '14-'15 season when it will be a buyers market. We are prepared to go either way depending on what comes available, but we damn sure are going to give our young guys every opportunity to be great, and that includes lots of floor time. And that especially includes Jeremy Evans, who Corbin totally hosed on minutes this past season, and I'm pleased to announce that the Jazz have wrapped up DC on a 4-year contract. As for PG, its clear that Mo is not the long-term answer, (our bad), so we're moving on unless he is willing to play backup on a 2-year contract. As for our coaching fail this past season, Corbin has agreed he is over his head, not good with young player development so is moving back to being an assistant coach, this time under Hornaceck."
Back to top Go down
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Moving Forward   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 11:53 am

First, thanks for sharing Richardale. I too liked the article. It was a bit long to quote, so I elected to just add my thoughts.

As for the Jazz I think they should re-sign Mo Williams, something I'm aware may at first cause many folks to wonder if I bumbed my head before posting. Here's why I say this however. Our expectations of Mo was he would be an upgrade over Harris. He started slow, started getting it together, got injured, came back and finally had a few games at the end of the season where he looked something like what we expected from the beginning. Its important to remember however, we were comparing Mo first year with that of Harris in his second.

If we parallel this with D-Will he played little due to injury after the trade was made, then had what may have been the worst year of his career, followed by a pretty good season this last year. I would like to see if Mo can start where he left off, then get better in his second year as we've seen so many other players, Harris included, do when playing for the Jazz.

Then, we re-sign Milsap or Jefferson, whichever one has the least trade value. The other one we use our Bird Rights to do a sign and trade with, getting the most value in return. We've argued and debated which of these two is the better player. I view them as sixes, so the best one to trade is the one we can get the most for. I don't think either of them are capable of leading a team to a Championship, but the are both solid players and a Championship Team needs stars and solid complementary players.

Then, we look to make some solid moves in the draft.

We let Mo run with the young guns, let them get the experience and opportunity to grow like many of us feel they can, then, use our cap space to add the missing pieces next year.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get CP3 and go from there as many have suggested. However, I simply don't view this as a real likely scenario.

Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 3:51 pm

ptaz66 wrote:
First, thanks for sharing Richardale. I too liked the article. It was a bit long to quote, so I elected to just add my thoughts.

As for the Jazz I think they should re-sign Mo Williams, something I'm aware may at first cause many folks to wonder if I bumbed my head before posting. Here's why I say this however. Our expectations of Mo was he would be an upgrade over Harris. He started slow, started getting it together, got injured, came back and finally had a few games at the end of the season where he looked something like what we expected from the beginning. Its important to remember however, we were comparing Mo first year with that of Harris in his second.

If we parallel this with D-Will he played little due to injury after the trade was made, then had what may have been the worst year of his career, followed by a pretty good season this last year. I would like to see if Mo can start where he left off, then get better in his second year as we've seen so many other players, Harris included, do when playing for the Jazz.

Then, we re-sign Milsap or Jefferson, whichever one has the least trade value. The other one we use our Bird Rights to do a sign and trade with, getting the most value in return. We've argued and debated which of these two is the better player. I view them as sixes, so the best one to trade is the one we can get the most for. I don't think either of them are capable of leading a team to a Championship, but the are both solid players and a Championship Team needs stars and solid complementary players.

We let Mo run with the young guns, let them get the experience and opportunity to grow like many of us feel they can, then, use our cap space to add the missing pieces next year.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get CP3 and go from there as many have suggested. However, I simply don't view this as a real likely scenario.

For the right money i'm ok with MO and i have a feeling Al will be back and maybe we can do a sign and trade with Paul. And i'm not talking Cris paul. king The talk about moving up really aint that apealing to me. At least not for both of our first round picks. To many good players in the mid to late first round picks to move up to get a player thats not a franchise player? I'd be ok with signing two PG and letting them compete for back up time to Mo next year.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptySat May 25, 2013 10:29 am

ptaz66 wrote:

If Mo Williams was not always injured then I would be OK with the Jazz resigning him but the fact to the matter is he has been on the injured list for the majority of time the last 3 to 4 season's the Jazz needs a PG that is going to be on the floor running the team not spending all of his time on the injured list.

It looks like the Jazz are going to have to spend some money this summer just to get the team to the league minimumso let's hope they can find the kind free agent they say their looking for because they are going to have to bring someone in be it Jefferson, Milsap or another free agent that money has to be spent one way or the other.

Last edited by dongibby on Sat May 25, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Overall it looks like the Jazz are going to have to decide if this is the time to construct the base of a solid deep playoff team. All data available scream that this is not the an off-season you can count on to be a foundational one.

I don't think Jazz should bring back neither Mo, Al or Paul. If it was my call I would do everything in my power to get Burke or Schroeder and KCP and then go from ther. Burke seems to me to be the real deal of this draft, I see the german youngster like Jennings but with a smart brain, and I think KCP could be the ultimate 2.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The state of the Utah Jazz.   The state of the Utah Jazz. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The state of the Utah Jazz.
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next