Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Jason Collins comes out Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jason Collins comes out

Go down 
+6
thejazzkickazz
Mutangclan
zero24gravity
TheMagnus
Romoholic
The Voice of Reason
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

Jason Collins comes out Empty
PostSubject: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:33 am

Not that there's anything wrong with that. To each his/her own. With all the talk of NFL players "coming out" in the possible near future, I just found this interesting.
I wonder how (if) this affects him, his teams or teammates in the future.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/#ixzz2RrlL4ygo

Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am

Let me add that I did not start this thread to be a debate about homosexuality and whether it is "right" or "wrong". I did not start this thread as a location for "gay bashing". If any of that takes place, I will lock/delete the thread immediately.

I just wonder how this will affect things with his future. I wonder if this will encourage other gay basketball players to come out.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 am

congrats to Jason, for being the first player to "come out". I commend his bravery. There is no denying it is out there and someone finally had the guts to come out and say it. I'm sure you are going to see many more players come out in the near future.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
Let me add that I did not start this thread to be a debate about homosexuality and whether it is "right" or "wrong". I did not start this thread as a location for "gay bashing". If any of that takes place, I will lock/delete the thread immediately.

I just wonder how this will affect things with his future. I wonder if this will encourage other gay basketball players to come out.

Hope so.

On this topic, you should take the time to read this piece from Grantland...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9206043/brittney-griner-quiet-queering-professional-sports

I think this is one of the great values of competitive athletics in our society, respecting someone for their unique talent and skill, and judging that in the prism of anything else they may do or who they actually are has a powerfull effect on our collective psyche.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 am

Not that there's anything wrong with that. To each his/her own. With all the talk of NFL players "coming out" in the possible near future, I just found this interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/#ixzz2RrlL4ygo

One thing that is a little dissapointing about this is that Collins isn't really an active player anymore. I mean, he played in the league this year, but he's not on contract now and he's really done, I highly doubt anybody was going to pick him up next season.

So I think this is more of a babystep than a great leap. The leap comes when you have to integrate an openly gay player into the locker-room, which is still unlikely to happen next season unless somebody else comes out. Hopefully that will be the case, and Jason's courage will be a catalyst.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 am

TheMagnus wrote:

One thing that is a little dissapointing about this is that Collins isn't really an active player anymore. I mean, he played in the league this year, but he's not on contract now and he's really done, I highly doubt anybody was going to pick him up next season.

So I think this is more of a babystep than a great leap. The leap comes when you have to integrate an openly gay player into the locker-room, which is still unlikely to happen next season unless somebody else comes out. Hopefully that will be the case, and Jason's courage will be a catalyst.

Right, I agree. He isn't the first "former" player to come out (J.Amaechi comes to mind), but it's still a move in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 am

TheMagnus wrote:

My first thought when I read this was..."What would have Malone said if he were in the league still?"
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 am

TheMagnus wrote:

My first thought when I read this was..."What would have Malone said if he were in the league still?"

Probably the same thing he'll say now. Won't be long till somebody aksks him.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 am

TheMagnus wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Probably the same thing he'll say now. Won't be long till somebody aksks him.

Hah, remember his comments when Magic said he was HIV positive?? Im not sure the Mailman would say the same things anymore, hah.

Maybe the first time I've ever liked ANYTHING Kobe has said or done:

Kobe Bryant's response, via Twitter: "Proud of @jasoncollins34," the tweet read. "Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU"

It's good guys are being open. This is really a huge deal, athletes playing such a prominent role for the youth in society, and more important is the youth seeing responses from guys like Kobe etc.
Copy their moves, copy their trash talk, copy their dress, copy their attitudes on the court, and now copy them off the court? That'd be nice.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:48 am

Mutangclan wrote:

Hah, remember his comments when Magic said he was HIV positive?? Im not sure the Mailman would say the same things anymore, hah.

Kobe Bryant's response, via Twitter: "Proud of @jasoncollins34," the tweet read. "Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU"

It's good guys are being open. This is really a huge deal, athletes playing such a prominent role for the youth in society, and more important is the youth seeing responses from guys like Kobe etc.
Copy their moves, copy their trash talk, copy their dress, copy their attitudes on the court, and now copy them off the court? That'd be nice.

I don't know man, I went back and refreshed my memory and I don't think Karl has changed a bit. I'm pretty sure if he said the exact same sorts of things about this it would surprise exactly no one, in fact I'll be very surprised if his response on this doesn't have some of the same classic Karl Malone "I'm onna tell you what people like me is really thinking because I don't give a f----" vibe to it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/01/sports/basketball-johnson-s-return-to-league-isn-t-welcomed-by-some.html
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

I don't know man, I went back and refreshed my memory and I don't think Karl has changed a bit. I'm pretty sure if he said the exact same sorts of things about this it would surprise exactly no one, in fact I'll be very surprised if his response on this doesn't have some of the same classic Karl Malone "I'm onna tell you what people like me is really thinking because I don't give a f----" vibe to it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/01/sports/basketball-johnson-s-return-to-league-isn-t-welcomed-by-some.html

Hah, probably true.
Back to top Go down
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 7:45 pm

I came over here to the forum to see if this topic had been raised, and it has. I figured that we had no homophobes amongst our posters, as intelligent as everyone seems here, and happily it turns out to be true. This is really a worthwhile place to hang out with fellow enlightened Jazz fans.

Big ups to all of you, and congratulations to Jason Collins for doing this courageous thing.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 pm

thejazzkickazz wrote:

I came over here to the forum to see if this topic had been raised, and it has. I figured that we had no homophobes amongst our posters, as intelligent as everyone seems here, and happily it turns out to be true. This is really a worthwhile place to hang out with fellow enlightened Jazz fans.

Big ups to all of you, and congratulations to Jason Collins for doing this courageous thing.

Ya know, we don't have as many regular posters on this site (yet) as other sites....but I'm serious when I say that I believe we have assembled a group of the smartest jazz fans (or any sports fans) of any forum I've ever seen. Everyone contributes something different, but everyone contributes.
I'll take a slow, steady building process of intelligent posters in this forum over a bigger over-saturated forum of douche bags any day.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 7:28 am

thejazzkickazz wrote:

Ya know, we don't have as many regular posters on this site (yet) as other sites....but I'm serious when I say that I believe we have assembled a group of the smartest jazz fans (or any sports fans) of any forum I've ever seen. Everyone contributes something different, but everyone contributes.
I'll take a slow, steady building process of intelligent posters in this forum over a bigger over-saturated forum of douche bags any day.

That's why i created this forum. I knew the guys that followed over from Trib Talk would make a very enjoyable forum. We don't always all agree, but pretty much everyone backs there opinions up with logic and is respectful of everyone else's opinion. I've been a MOD on several forums over the years, and have to say I almost never have to do anything here. There are almost never any problems.

You guys are all awesome.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 pm

And here's your answer...

In a live phone interview with CNN, former Utah Jazz star Karl Malone didn't mince words when revealing his opinion of Jason Collins becoming the first active professional athlete to openly announce being gay.

"I think everybody should embrace what he did," Malone said. "That is his business. I support it."

Malone cited his openly gay brother-in-law, saying he loves him "as kin." He repeatedly emphasized his opinions were his own, while saying "I can really care less what somebody else's opinion is. I'm speaking on behalf of Karl Anthony Malone."

Malone did, however, have an opinion on those who are offended or over-interested in Collins' announcement.

"Grow up people," he said. "Move on. Let the guy live his life."

"What we are trying to do is understand other people, and enjoy and tolerate," he added.

Malone ended the interview with a humorous touch, saying, "I'm Karl Anthony Malone and I approve this message."
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

In a live phone interview with CNN, former Utah Jazz star Karl Malone didn't mince words when revealing his opinion of Jason Collins becoming the first active professional athlete to openly announce being gay.

"I think everybody should embrace what he did," Malone said. "That is his business. I support it."

Malone cited his openly gay brother-in-law, saying he loves him "as kin." He repeatedly emphasized his opinions were his own, while saying "I can really care less what somebody else's opinion is. I'm speaking on behalf of Karl Anthony Malone."

Malone did, however, have an opinion on those who are offended or over-interested in Collins' announcement.

"What we are trying to do is understand other people, and enjoy and tolerate," he added.

Malone ended the interview with a humorous touch, saying, "I'm Karl Anthony Malone and I approve this message."

Great response from the Mailman, color me pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:11 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Great response from the Mailman, color me pleasantly surprised.

I suppose it doesn't fully answer VoR's question, since he wondered what Karl would have said if he was still playing, but it's as close as we are going to get.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Who cares what Karl would say and i could careless who comes out gay anymore. Is that there way of putting it out there they're looking for a lover? Hey girls i'm coming out i'm looking for a women, Anyone care?
Back to top Go down
thejazzkickazz
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

I was just thinking that it might be a nice gesture on the part of the Jazz to sign Jason Collins. That would show how tolerant Utah is. Then I thought better of it because, no doubt, Ty Corbin would play Collins 35 minutes a game because he has veteran seniority. Kanter/Favors stuck on the bench another year...noooooooo!
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 5:37 pm

thejazzkickazz wrote:
I was just thinking that it might be a nice gesture on the part of the Jazz to sign Jason Collins. That would show how tolerant Utah is. Then I thought better of it because, no doubt, Ty Corbin would play Collins 35 minutes a game because he has veteran seniority. Kanter/Favors stuck on the bench another year...noooooooo!

lmao.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Richardale wrote:
Who cares what Karl would say and i could careless who comes out gay anymore. Is that there way of putting it out there they're looking for a lover? Hey girls i'm coming out i'm looking for a women, Anyone care?

That's a pretty simplistic view of it. I know you were probably kidding, but I have quite a few friends and family members that are gay, and it disgust me to see the way they are treated, especially the ones that live in Utah.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

Good for Karl. I didn't realize Jason was Karl's bro-in-law (which may have made difference in his public statement). Still, I think it's good for the world that Jason came out. Tolerance of people who have opinions or lifestyles different than the norm can lead to a better understanding of the world around us. We don't have to adhere with their disposition, but, we should face that it's there and respect it.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Romoholic wrote:
Richardale wrote:

That's a pretty simplistic view of it. I know you were probably kidding, but I have quite a few friends and family members that are gay, and it disgust me to see the way they are treated, especially the ones that live in Utah.

Its has nothing to do with hate Rom. I just think its one more person out of thousands that come out and people act like its some kind of big deal. Its not like he is even coming back to the league? Now had the kid come out 7 8 years ago i would be like way that a big deal and worthy of all the talk its getting and i'm not talking about our little forum here.Good luck to this kid hope he finds the love of his life. Aint that what life is all about, Family?
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Romoholic wrote:
Richardale wrote:

I hope your not thinking i'm hating on some guy that came out gay. I to have many friend i work with who are openly gay but its realy not news worthy? And yes i would say some i would say are friends. I live in utah and i hate seeing people lump me in with people that has any hate toward any person! Why is it that someone hates any worst with state lines? Your no better than those people when you go there Roms?
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out EmptyWed May 01, 2013 6:41 am

Richardale wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
Richardale wrote:

I hope your not thinking i'm hating on some guy that came out gay. I to have many friend i work with who are openly gay but its realy not news worthy? And yes i would say some i would say are friends. I live in utah and i hate seeing people lump me in with people that has any hate toward any person! Why is it that someone hates any worst with state lines? Your no better than those people when you go there Roms?

No I didn't think you were hating, but I do think its a big deal. Yeah it would have been a much bigger deal if he would have done it a few years ago, but I also don't think the league or public was ready for it then.

If you look at the comment section on any national story about Jason, you will see just how ignorant and how much hatred there still is for the gay community. I hate to say it, but it's my so called fellow Christians that are the most adamant opponents of LGBT rights.

That's the only cause I really get behind, because I've seen first hand how the hatred of people can destroy a gay persons life. On of my best friends since Jr High is gay and is a social worker and twice a year he hosts a drag show to raise money for homeless gay and lesbian teens. I go every time and even though I'm not gay, I have no problem being around gay men and transgendered people. I'm not afraid they are going to "turn me gay" and I know a lot of these people personally and know they are just like you and me. They just want to be treated like everyone else does. In Utah I think it's kind of a lost cause, but they still deserve it.

My wife and I are always dealing with prejudice from the people in this state. We both have a lot of very visible tattoos and you just can't believe the kind of looks and whispers we get going out to eat or to the movies. Of course nobody ever has the balls to come out and say anything, but its obvious as hell. Being gay in this state is about 50x worse than the crap we have to put up with.

Ok rant over!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jason Collins comes out   Jason Collins comes out Empty

Back to top Go down

Jason Collins comes out
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next