Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Devin Harris Traded!! Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Devin Harris Traded!!

Go down 
+11
TheMagnus
zero24gravity
Mutangclan
MTJazz
Richardale
dongibby
Trollificus
therawns
rorybreaker
Romoholic
Sampaguy
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sampaguy
Rookie
Sampaguy

Devin Harris Traded!! Empty
PostSubject: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Sampaguy wrote:
Devin Harris no more, traded for Marvin Williams: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54420387-87/jazz-williams-harris-marvin.html.csp

I'm good with it. Devin never fit in here anyway. Mo's our starter now for sure.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:40 pm

So this just occured to me. KOC has now turned a #3 (Deron) into a #2 (Marvin Williams) and two #3s (Kanter and Favors).

That's some MFin GMing right there!
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 pm

I don't like this one at all. So far Mo Williams for Devin Harris and picking up Marvin Williams crap contract, I hope there is something else coming, Marvin is only so-so but not at all worth the money.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:50 pm

rorybreaker wrote:
I don't like this one at all. So far Mo Williams for Devin Harris and picking up Marvin Williams crap contract, I hope there is something else coming, Marvin is only so-so but not at all worth the money.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Harris and Mo weren't going to be a good combo. We needed a good SF and Marvin is a quality starter.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 pm

rorybreaker wrote:

Marvin's contract is not crap. Yes, 7.5 next year is a little too much, but its reasonable. His contract is up after next season anyways. If the contract is the reason why you dont like it, i have to disagree with the reasoning.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

I don't like it because his play hasn't warranted even a 7mill contract.

Hawks fans were begging Ferry to just amnesty the guy.

Just because he held a starting job because sitting the guy you selected #2 (NUMBER TWO!!!) is too embarrassing doesn't mean he's really a starting quality SF.

My only hope here is that, removed from the expectations generated by being badly overdrafted, he might actually improve. If he does, he might be good. *crosses fingers*

Last edited by Trollificus on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:34 pm

therawns wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:

Marvin's contract is not crap. Yes, 7.5 next year is a little too much, but its reasonable. His contract is up after next season anyways. If the contract is the reason why you dont like it, i have to disagree with the reasoning.

Marvin Williams has a player's option of 7.5 mil after this season and could chose to come back to Utah if he don't think he could earn any more than that from another team, he is not the player he once was that's for sure let's hope he give's it his best effort so he can earn a big contract. I was listening to talk radio and O'Conner was talking about the trade he was saying that Marvin will be coming off of the bench behind Hayward and that Burks will be the starting SG, it is going to be hard for Williams coming off of the bench to earn that big contract one would think.

With this trade done it look's like AK won't be getting an offer from the Jazz I myself would rather have him any day over Marvin Williams, maybe I am wrong about him I hope so we will have to wait and see how thing's turnout.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm

dongibby wrote:
therawns wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:

Marvin Williams has a player's option of 7.5 mil after this season and could chose to come back to Utah if he don't think he could earn any more than that from another team, he is not the player he once was that's for sure let's hope he give's it his best effort so he can earn a big contract. I was listening to talk radio and O'Conner was talking about the trade he was saying that Marvin will be coming off of the bench behind Hayward and that Burks will be the starting SG, it is going to be hard for Williams coming off of the bench to earn that big contract one would think.

With this trade done it look's like AK won't be getting an offer from the Jazz I myself would rather have him any day over Marvin Williams, maybe I am wrong about him I hope so we will have to wait and see how thing's turnout.

were you listening to 1280? KOC on there said he cant comment on it right now.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm

therawns wrote:
[quote=were you listening to 1280? KOC on there said he cant comment on it right now.

Ya, I caught the very last of it so I am not sure what he could not talk about but he did say that Hayward would start ahead of Williams and that Burks is the starting 2 guard, then after the guys of the talk show said that the trade did go through and that Marvin Williams was part of the Jazz team he was traded for Harris.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 7:27 pm

I was just on the Hawks message board. They are FN clueless. Someone actually said that they suckered Utah into trading for Marvin and actually said that Devin is a top ten PG. WOW are they in for a shock.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Romoholic wrote:
I was just on the Hawks message board. They are FN clueless. Someone actually said that they suckered Utah into trading for Marvin and actually said that Devin is a top ten PG. WOW are they in for a shock.

I am not sure that their fan's are clueless they could be right about the Jazz getting suckered we will have to wait and see, I am not a big fan of Marvin Williams myself I think they could have gotten a better player for Harris.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:25 pm

dongibby wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

I am not sure that their fan's are clueless they could be right about the Jazz getting suckered we will have to wait and see, I am not a big fan of Marvin Williams myself I think they could have gotten a better player for Harris.

My comment was in referance to them thinking Devin is a top 10 pg.

I don't get why people are so down on Marvin Williams. He isn't coming here as a #2 pick, but as a role player and will definitely help. Devin wasn't working here and didn't need to be here anymore.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Love the trade.Why? Because there is no way for Mo or Deven to reach there top potential playing aside or with one another. M will2 has not played like a all star but with other players on that/his other team their was never ever that chance to reach a higher lever. Jazz will give him a much better shot at a much higher lever. Love both trade NOW. Could be one of the best Ds in the league this year even with big Al here. Nice job KOC.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Romoholic wrote:

Per Trolly, I hope the Jazz aren't in for a shock. Did anyone else notice that both Marvin and Mo's contracts are only through next year? So essentially, Jazz have signed to new faces on one year contracts, one for the Okur exception and one for Harri's similarly expiring. Kind of get the feeling that the Jazz are auditioning, showcasing the young guns, then heading into 13-14 with some serious salary room. Could this be KOC's method behind this otherwise outward feeling ho hum activities? Is the real prize next year FA signings? Who the hell is up for FA next year, anyway?
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Also we are in essence replacing Devin with Mo and CJ with Marvin. How can you complain about that? Both are upgrades.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:37 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Per Trolly, I hope the Jazz aren't in for a shock. Did anyone else notice that both Marvin and Mo's contracts are only through next year? So essentially, Jazz have signed to new faces on one year contracts, one for the Okur exception and one for Harri's similarly expiring. Kind of get the feeling that the Jazz are auditioning, showcasing the young guns, then heading into 13-14 with some serious salary room. Could this be KOC's method behind this otherwise outward feeling ho hum activities? Is the real prize next year FA signings? Who the hell is up for FA next year, anyway?

Marvin Williams has a player's option and could pick it up for another season if he thinks he can't get more that the 7.5 mil the option is worth.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm warming to the idea of Marvin Williams actually being better on the Jazz than he ever was on the Hawks...in a contract year and with a chance to turn his career around.

How 'bout we just pretend he was a #47 pick and go from there?
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Romoholic wrote:
Also we are in essence replacing Devin with Mo and CJ with Marvin. How can you complain about that? Both are upgrades.

Not to be a douche but Mo isn't exactly a major upgrade - more like intangibles over Harris, which aren't worth squat in a guy who has played 9 years in the league, (not many intangibles left). And while Marvin is an upgrade over CJ, seriously, look at the two contracts. Dude is overpaid and not nearly worth a moderate upgrade over CJ.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Romoholic wrote:

Holy mother, I"m shocked!!!! I did not think Utah would be back in the news already......wow. Well, first and foremost, in KOC I trust. The specifics aren't done on this yet, and maybe it's not as cut and dry. But my first reaction was Devin is gone????!!! Cool! For Marvin Williams???? NOOOOOoooo!!!! But wait.....

Yea, Romo, if Marvin has an option after next season, then thats the key right there: Mo is a much better PG than Devin, and money is the same. Marvin Williams is a better 3pt shooter (39% last year) than CJ was and overall a better player. I dont care that he was a number 2 pick. He's a decent role player that can hit the 3. Not to mention when high lottery picks dont work out, whats the one thing that helps them revive their career??? A change of scenery. So I guess bottom line here, is the PG position was already handled and better than last year. Why not move Devin for something we needed; a SF and 3pt shooting. Our 3pt shooting is already almost twice as good as last year.

Now, with that said.....Marvin Williams was the best we could do??? Couldn't package Devin with something/someone for something great???

I dont know.......I think looking at the team as a whole, this team for 2012-13 is kind of alot better than 11-12 Jazz. Marvin is only needed as a role player, unlike his starting in Atl. He brings 3pt shooting, can play the SF which is what we need, but at 6'9 and 245lbs he also is considered a "big", which is what we needed. Financially, nothing really changed and we're still on a path to improve greatly next year, AND be ready to be BIG TIME players in free agency in 2013!!

I mean, after the initial shock that IT WAS THE WRONG FREAKING HAWK KOC!!!!! I think I'm good with it. Maybe even like, yea, KOC, I feel you....I like it!
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:55 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Not to be a douche but Mo isn't exactly a major upgrade - more like intangibles over Harris, which aren't worth squat in a guy who has played 9 years in the league, (not many intangibles left). And while Marvin is an upgrade over CJ, seriously, look at the two contracts. Dude is overpaid and not nearly worth a moderate upgrade over CJ.

Disagree MT and I think you'll see as soon as you watch MO play this year. He's a better player than Devin, and it's not just me. All the supposed "experts" all say the Jazz now have a better PG. Better shooter, better distributor, better competitor. And even though he's been thrust into a scoring role, he still was better than Devin.
As for Marvin, he is over paid. But really, who cares? He brings more of what this team needs, than Devin did now: 3pt shooting (much better than CJ) and SF position but also can play a big position. And like Troll said, change of scenery and a contract year for Marvin? Yea, we'll probably get his best, and dont even need it. And financially Utah is in the same position. It was a good trade. My only complaint with it was the thinking that we could of done better.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:03 pm

[quote="Mutangclan"][quote="MTJazz"]
Romoholic wrote:

Disagree MT and I think you'll see as soon as you watch MO play this year. He's a better player than Devin, and it's not just me. All the supposed "experts" all say the Jazz now have a better PG. Better shooter, better distributor, better competitor. And even though he's been thrust into a scoring role, he still was better than Devin.
As for Marvin, he is over paid. But really, who cares? He brings more of what this team needs, than Devin did now: 3pt shooting (much better than CJ) and SF position but also can play a big position. And like Troll said, change of scenery and a contract year for Marvin? Yea, we'll probably get his best, and dont even need it. And financially Utah is in the same position. It was a good trade. My only complaint with it was the thinking that we could of done better.

Well, we will let the next season unfold regarding Mo - I am not convinced by his career or STATS he is much of an upgrade, pundits be damned.

As for Marvin - yeah, seriously, couldn't the Jazz have done better? I mean, sweeten the pot a bit with the GSW pick for a player we all are like positively giddy over? He is seriously not, based on his time in the league and plenty of opportunity to shine, anything special. I guess the gamble is he works with team chemistry and somehow digs deep and finds his #2 draft status. Not likely, a wise man once said "Previous patterns are the best predictor of future patterns"; the guy is not a dick or anything, but $8 million with a player option - yeah, I wanted something sexier.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 pm

MTJazz wrote:

As for Marvin - yeah, seriously, couldn't the Jazz have done better? I mean, sweeten the pot a bit with the GSW pick for a player we all are like positively giddy over? He is seriously not, based on his time in the league and plenty of opportunity to shine, anything special. I guess the gamble is he works with team chemistry and somehow digs deep and finds his #2 draft status. Not likely, a wise man once said "Previous patterns are the best predictor of future patterns"; the guy is not a dick or anything, but $8 million with a player option - yeah, I wanted something sexier.

Me too. At this point, other than his #2 pick salary, that draft position doesn't matter much to me. If he had been picked at 30, nobody would even care. I dont. He's a good role player at a minimum, but now he gets a fresh start and bigs that can space the floor for him. Hmmmmm....
So if we gained in 3pt shooting, rebounding, versatility, added a SF that is also a big, and really lost nothing, and our financial outlook didn't change, thats a pretty good move.

I was thinking the same thing about the pick, but now I think we need to keep that pick. We're still going to need a PG in 3 years, and I'd like for us to have an opportunity to get a lottery one.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 pm

At the start this year, with the 8 guys at $20 million the Jazz needed to upgrade Bell, Millsap, Big Al, Harris or have them justify their new contracts with the team next year.
I don't mind Mo' but he is basically a wash with Harris, maybe a little better but for sure not the elite PG the Jazz need for the future, but for one year no big deal.
They take on Marvin for TWO years, he will for sure exercise his option year, and that will set the Jazz's needs for a SF/SG back that much further. The question isn't CJ or Josh it's about an upgrade, not taking on TWO years of Marvin or any marginal fill in at least for the amount he is owed. At that price you don't think he will be on the floor taking minutes from Burks?
I honestly would have rather had Carroll on the floor and a MLE player filling in until the right SF comes along, maybe next year in the draft or free agency.
I wonder if Bell is going anywhere or if they might have to eat $3.4 million in salary. I'm not sure that I like where this is going but I still trust KOC. I just don't like this movement so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devin Harris Traded!!   Devin Harris Traded!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Devin Harris Traded!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next