Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Jazz get their PG answer Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jazz get their PG answer

Go down 
+10
aliveandkickin
Richardale
Saint Louis
rorybreaker
outerspacefan
MTJazz
TheMagnus
The Voice of Reason
Romoholic
therawns
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
therawns
Starter

Jazz get their PG answer Empty
PostSubject: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:32 pm

What do you guys think about maybe not trading jefferson or millsap, but giving up favors or kanter? I know we have all been talking about who do the Jazz keep between jefferson and millsap, but nobody has mentioned a thought about giving up favors or kanter. Here is an idea I have had recently.

Does Memphis blow up their team soon? They really remind me of the Hawks the past few years, and the Hawks decided to blow up that team. Do they blow it up completely or decide to build around conley/gasol? If they decide to blow the whole thing up, and put conley on the market, the jazz make perfect sense.

Favors + bell (to match salary) + GS pick?=conley?

I really like Conley and he has a nice contract. Mo might not be happy with it, but he can still be 6th man for the rest of the year. Now, going forward you have a 3 man rotation of Millsap Jefferson and Kanter. Going forward for Memphis they build around their size of gasol and favors, plus you get a possible lotery pick. I think Utah gives up too much, but its a thought I have had recently.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:43 pm

therawns wrote:
What do you guys think about maybe not trading jefferson or millsap, but giving up favors or kanter? I know we have all been talking about who do the Jazz keep between jefferson and millsap, but nobody has mentioned a thought about giving up favors or kanter. Here is an idea I have had recently.

Does Memphis blow up their team soon? They really remind me of the Hawks the past few years, and the Hawks decided to blow up that team. Do they blow it up completely or decide to build around conley/gasol? If they decide to blow the whole thing up, and put conley on the market, the jazz make perfect sense.

Favors + bell (to match salary) + GS pick?=conley?

I really like Conley and he has a nice contract. Mo might not be happy with it, but he can still be 6th man for the rest of the year. Now, going forward you have a 3 man rotation of Millsap Jefferson and Kanter. Going forward for Memphis they build around their size of gasol and favors, plus you get a possible lotery pick. I think Utah gives up too much, but its a thought I have had recently.

No and I say that, because you don't have to have a great PG to win. I would much rather let Sap and Al walk and get nothing in return than trade Kanter or Favors. Those two are our future, can't give up on that. It will never happen anyway. KOC has gone through too much to get Kanter and Favors, there is no way he starts over again just to pick up a pg. We will have a ton of money this coming offseason to grab a good pg if we need it. We haven't even seen Mo get in sync with this guys yet. No the more I think about it, it's a really bad idea!
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:00 am

At this point, I would be very hesitant to trade away Favors or Kanter. I think we all know (believe) that Favors has the potential to be something real special and Kanter has shown this preseason flashes of why he was picked #3 overall. These two could be a very powerful tandem for years to come. And, I think if the Jazz treat them right, they would be willing to stay in Utah for a long time.

I agree with Romo. A team doesn't have to have an elite point guard to be a dominant team. If you have a good point guard that can distribute the ball and run an offense, then I believe that is sufficient. I am not saying that Mo Williams is or isn't that guy...but if I were the GM and I traded away Kanter or Favors for a PG, I would HAVE TO get an elite point guard in return. Bigs come at a premium in the NBA and I think the Jazz have found a couple of good ones. I wouldn't be willing to trade away our possible future for a "pretty good" point guard.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 am

That ^^^^^^^

Also, I still think the most likely scenario is that the Jazz try to resign Millsap and let Jefferson walk, hopefully doing a sign and trade, with the intention of preserving maximum cap flexibilty for resigning/extending the young players next year and the year after. I believe they would try to keep Jefferson if they thought they could get him for 10 Million, but more than likely he will be getting near max from somebody.

That is also why I think it is highly unlikely that they pull a big trade this year unless something goes terribly wrong. They aren't going to trade Kanter or Favors unless it involves an elite player in return, and they aren't going to just dump Jefferson or Millsap for the sake of playing time.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 am

TheMagnus wrote:
That ^^^^^^^

Also, I still think the most likely scenario is that the Jazz try to resign Millsap and let Jefferson walk, hopefully doing a sign and trade, with the intention of preserving maximum cap flexibilty for resigning/extending the young players next year and the year after. I believe they would try to keep Jefferson if they thought they could get him for 10 Million, but more than likely he will be getting near max from somebody.

That is also why I think it is highly unlikely that they pull a big trade this year unless something goes terribly wrong. They aren't going to trade Kanter or Favors unless it involves an elite player in return, and they aren't going to just dump Jefferson or Millsap for the sake of playing time.

The emergence, or what appears to be the emergence, of a legit Kanter indeed makes Jefferson expendable at year's end. I agree that a friendly sign and trade is the likely route because Big Al is going to get huge money from somebody and the Jazz are better off shoring up some other pieces that emerge through the season. Just guessing but I think the Jazz will be looking harder for the point guard of the future and grooming a new big man. Speaking of grooming, after all the Jazz big man disappointments, (you listening, Fes?), Kanter is reviving my faith in that process!
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:17 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
At this point, I would be very hesitant to trade away Favors or Kanter. I think we all know (believe) that Favors has the potential to be something real special and Kanter has shown this preseason flashes of why he was picked #3 overall. These two could be a very powerful tandem for years to come. And, I think if the Jazz treat them right, they would be willing to stay in Utah for a long time.

I agree with Romo. A team doesn't have to have an elite point guard to be a dominant team. If you have a good point guard that can distribute the ball and run an offense, then I believe that is sufficient. I am not saying that Mo Williams is or isn't that guy...but if I were the GM and I traded away Kanter or Favors for a PG, I would HAVE TO get an elite point guard in return. Bigs come at a premium in the NBA and I think the Jazz have found a couple of good ones. I wouldn't be willing to trade away our possible future for a "pretty good" point guard.

I love bigs as much as anybody. I am just trying to think of a way to get a good PG. This draft is loaded with bigs. I am not saying utah does it, but it was a thought ive had.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 11:12 am

therawns wrote:

I love bigs as much as anybody. I am just trying to think of a way to get a good PG. This draft is loaded with bigs. I am not saying utah does it, but it was a thought ive had.

A couple things here, first off the Jazz will need another big or two if they let Jefferson and/or Millsap go, and there are few things better for a teams performance and financial health than having quality players on cheap rookie contracts.

Second, while there are no elite PG's in this draft, there should be a few quality options in the middle of the 1st where the Jazz will have their own pick.

Third, the Jazz are trying to groom Burks to be a PG in the mold of Russell Westbrook. Whether or not that works out is up in the air, but that does seem to be part of the plan.

Fourth, there are also a lot of solid wings in this years draft, and with Marvin, Demarre, and Foye on one year contracts it would hurt to pick up another one of those.

So I guess my point is that while getting a reliable, traditional, starting PG would be nice, there are a lot of other ways to skin that cat.

And if we are talking about getting a real PG, my first option would be to hold tight and throw a Max Contract at Chris Paul this summer, just to say we tried, and then go from there.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:02 pm

therawns wrote:
The Voice of Reason wrote:

Is there any good PGs coming out in the coming draft, just in case we get the GS pick Mad
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:10 pm

I wouldn't trade any of Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks, Evans, Murphy.

Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Romoholic wrote:

Is there any good PGs coming out in the coming draft, just in case we get the GS pick Mad

From what I have seen there are no PG's projected top 10 on pretty much anybody's draft board.

Chad Ford's top PG is BJ Young from Arkansas at #15, Draft Express has Young at #9. He is definitely more of a score first PG though, and is listed as a combo guard. DraftExpress lists another score first combo guard at #17, C.J. McCollum from Lehigh, who Ford actually lists as a SG.

If you are looking for a pass first PG the first guy that comes up on most boards is Myck Kabongo out of Texas, Ford has him at #22 and DraftExpress #20.

Overal the general consesus is that this is the weakest PG draft in years.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Romoholic wrote:

Time to face it: Jazz will end up getting 2014 and 2016 second round picks from GSW. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Time to face it: Jazz will end up getting 2014 and 2016 second round picks from GSW. Twisted Evil

Wouldn't that be the way? Seems pretty unlikely though, they would have to finnish bottom 6 to pull that off, and they have a better team than they had last year when they had to pull one of the NBA's all time great tank jobs just to tie for 7th worst.

Na, I think even if Bogut and curry only play 20 games a piece they are still all but guaranteed to finnish better than Orlando, Charlotte, Detroit, Cleveland, and New Orleans. The margin of error is pretty slim if they want to tank their way into keeping that pick.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=93va3o5

Caron Butler would make the trade work too.

Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 6:09 pm

rorybreaker wrote:

worst. trade. ever.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:

worst. trade. ever.
Really, I'll remind you of that when Bledsoe makes his first All Star team in about 3-4- years.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:00 pm

rorybreaker wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:

worst. trade. ever.
Really, I'll remind you of that when Bledsoe makes his first All Star team in about 3-4- years.

Please do. In two years he hasn't even approached being a serviceable backup. I wouldn't trade Carroll for him, much less Millsap.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:

worst. trade. ever.

Please do. In two years he hasn't even approached being a serviceable backup. I wouldn't trade Carroll for him, much less Millsap.
Do you think Millsap will be here next year, if not who would you like to see him traded for or would you just like to let him play out and walk?
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:35 pm

I know the question wasn't posed directly to me, but I'll weigh in....In my opinion, Millsap is so important to this team. I love what he does. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, I don't care....however, I wouldn't trade him unless we could get an elite point guard for him. There aren't any bigs (that we could realistically get for him) that I would want. We have some good up and coming wings, and what I think will be a pretty good point guard. So for me, if we trade him, we would have to get a major upgrade at point guard in order for it to make sense.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:29 pm

rorybreaker wrote:

Do you think Millsap will be here next year, if not who would you like to see him traded for or would you just like to let him play out and walk?

Let him play. Not even a question to me. Because 1) he's worth keeping, 2) at the end of the season the Jazz will have advantages when it comes to resigning him that no one else will have (5th year, cap room, he likes it here, etc.), and 3) a half season of Millsap and extra cap room is worth more than two seasons of scrubs like Eric Bledsoe and Lamar "ima12yearoldinamansbody" Odom.

I'm not saying I would never trade Millsap, I'm just saying I wouldn't give him away for .10$ on the dollar.

I also think that Millsap could absolutely be here next year, and I think he should be here next year and the year after that and the year after that. You never know what will happen, but I honestly feel like it is more likely than not that he stays.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:40 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:

Let him play. Not even a question to me. Because 1) he's worth keeping, 2) at the end of the season the Jazz will have advantages when it comes to resigning him that no one else will have (5th year, cap room, he likes it here, etc.), and 3) a half season of Millsap and extra cap room is worth more than two seasons of scrubs like Eric Bledsoe and Lamar "ima12yearoldinamansbody" Odom.

I'm not saying I would never trade Millsap, I'm just saying I wouldn't give him away for .10$ on the dollar.

I also think that Millsap could absolutely be here next year, and I think he should be here next year and the year after that and the year after that. You never know what will happen, but I honestly feel like it is more likely than not that he stays.

I'm starting to think they will resign Milsap next off season. I would like to see them keep Al as well, but that seems pretty unlikely. He would have to take a lot less money and be willing to play back up.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 pm

[quote="TheMagnus"]
therawns wrote:

Third, the Jazz are trying to groom Burks to be a PG in the mold of Russell Westbrook. Whether or not that works out is up in the air, but that does seem to be part of the plan.

What? The Jazz are grooming Burks to be the next Westbrook? I haven't heard that one before. Tell me more, on a different thread.

Not that it matters.

This whole thread seems to be pretty far off-base. Memphis is not looking to "blow up their team" at all. And, the idea that Conley would be a highly valued asset the Jazz might pursue is pretty ridiculous. The only reason I'm bothering to respond is that I had higher hopes for this site.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 12:23 am

[quote="Saint Louis"]
TheMagnus wrote:
therawns wrote:

What? The Jazz are grooming Burks to be the next Westbrook? I haven't heard that one before. Tell me more, on a different thread.

Not that it matters.

This whole thread seems to be pretty far off-base. Memphis is not looking to "blow up their team" at all. And, the idea that Conley would be a highly valued asset the Jazz might pursue is pretty ridiculous. The only reason I'm bothering to respond is that I had higher hopes for this site.

Well you don't have to stick around!
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 1:17 am

Saint Louis wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Not that it matters.

Different thread? This is a perfectly good thread to discuss the Jazz plans at PG.

I didn't say they want him to be the next Westbrook, I just said the where grooming him to be a Westbrook-like PG, because that is really what he is when he plays the point. He's never going to be a pass first PG, he's a scorer, and whether he's playing PG or SG or SF that is what he will be. I think he fits the Westbrook mold because he's a great athlete that excels at attacking the basket. But they are trying it, he's played a fair bit of PG this pre-season, I don't think it will stick though, looks like Foye is going to get those minutes.

As far as the Grizz go, the conversation isn't really that far off base. The Grizzlies have $80 million in salaries next season, with the new luxury tax, and new ownership, it is not unlikely that they could look to shed some salary. Conley is a solid player, and I wouldn't mind having him in a Jazz uniform, but I wouldn't deal Millsap for him. Mo Williams maybe?
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 4:52 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:

I can't see the Jazz getting to the next level as it sits now, to get something you have to give something up and I would give up Millsap in order to get what I think is going to be an elite PG in Bledsoe, Odom is just something to make the numbers work. Don't get me wrong like I said before I love Millsap but the Jazz won't carry a $75 -80 million salary. The move I just proposed gets an elite PG (in my opinion) and if Big Al could stay with Kanter and Favors you have a good 3 man rotation, plus Evans and another old vet or young project to be the other big.
Then next year find an elite SF, if Burks, Hayward, Marvin and Carroll don't cut it.
I really think Bledsoe is the real deal.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:33 pm

we will be looking a lot different next year. I'd call cris paul up and see wad up? That would put this team on a title run. One can dream so dont say anything! afro I guess it time to see what else mite be out there for next year because the jazz will has some coinage for couple guys, If burks could bring it at point things would look brighter in jazzland.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jazz get their PG answer   Jazz get their PG answer Empty

Back to top Go down

Jazz get their PG answer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next