Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?

Go down 
+2
MTJazz
TheMagnus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  Empty
PostSubject: Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?    Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  EmptyFri May 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Just awful.

No movement, no plays, no controlled fast break, just walk it up, iso-drive, iso-shoot.

If I wanted to see that kind of basketball I would go down to the local playground and watch the high school kids messing around.

It's really astonishing when you contrast it to the Jazz and Spurs, especially the Spurs. When I watch a Spurs/Jazz game I find that my DVR is my best friend, because I am constantly rewinding. Wait, how did he get open? Who's guy was that? How did Jefferson end up on Parker? The Jazz run those UCLA and Flex cuts where guys come off 2 or 3 screens, the Spurs run that pick and roll like a wheel...The Knicks and HEAT, run nothing.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I really feel like this is both the best thing for the NBA and the worst thing about the NBA.

It's the best thing for the NBA because it appeals to legions of playground ballers and casual fans that don't know the difference between the Triangle and the Flex, but they know a monster dunk or a sweet display of Hero-Ball when they see it. They go to be entertained gladiator style. They go to see who is the greater physical specimen, to watch superstars perform superhuman feats, not to see textbook fundamentals and execution.

But it's the worst thing for people who love the ART of the game of basketball. For a person who actually enjoys the x's and o's, and who appreciates the well timed back cut off a screen as much as the hammer dunk that follows, watching that kind of basketball is, well, boring.

It's like watching baseball.

Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?    Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:03 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Just awful.

Well put and I agree.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?    Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:22 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Just awful.

No movement, no plays, no controlled fast break, just walk it up, iso-drive, iso-shoot.

If I wanted to see that kind of basketball I would go down to the local playground and watch the high school kids messing around.

It's really astonishing when you contrast it to the Jazz and Spurs, especially the Spurs. When I watch a Spurs/Jazz game I find that my DVR is my best friend, because I am constantly rewinding. Wait, how did he get open? Who's guy was that? How did Jefferson end up on Parker? The Jazz run those UCLA and Flex cuts where guys come off 2 or 3 screens, the Spurs run that pick and roll like a wheel...The Knicks and HEAT, run nothing.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I really feel like this is both the best thing for the NBA and the worst thing about the NBA.

It's the best thing for the NBA because it appeals to legions of playground ballers and casual fans that don't know the difference between the Triangle and the Flex, but they know a monster dunk or a sweet display of Hero-Ball when they see it. They go to be entertained gladiator style. They go to see who is the greater physical specimen, to watch superstars perform superhuman feats, not to see textbook fundamentals and execution.

But it's the worst thing for people who love the ART of the game of basketball. For a person who actually enjoys the x's and o's, and who appreciates the well timed back cut off a screen as much as the hammer dunk that follows, watching that kind of basketball is, well, boring.

I totally agree with everything except for the watching baseball part. I enjoy it.

When people complain about the NBA being too much one on one, they are right when it comes to this series. It is just sick. As you know (I think), I write for a Heat blog. I absolutely hate watching the Heat sometimes though. I dont understand how watching these "exciting" teams is awesome while watching the Spurs is "boring."

I think Barkley said it best once. He said, those that think the Spurs are boring to watch dont know basketball. Amen.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?    Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:15 am

Quick story. I never played at a high level. I played varsity for my High School team, but that was it. Anyway back in the 90s when hoop it up first came to SLC. Me, my cousin and my uncle decided to try it out. Now I'm 5'8 my cousin is 6'5 but at the time was about 5'9 and my Uncle was right at 6'0. My uncle was a pretty good athlete back in his day. He had a full ride scholarship to Texas A&M. but my aunt was pregnagnt so he went into the Marines instead. So he was a pretty physical specimen back in the day. However at this time he was a middle aged man about 100lbs overweight. My cousin never played competitive basketball, just played with his dad ( my uncle) and me and my friends.

My uncle taught us to play basketball and taught us in the right way. Anyhow we were not even close to the best athletes out there at hoop it up. We won our first two game by 15 and 17 points. We did it because for the two months before hoop it up we practiced everyday. We worked a ton of screens and pick and rolls. That's what we practiced. Never any iso stuff. I was the only one that could create my own shot, because I was very quick and was a very good jump shooter. So in the games that is what we did. My uncle and cousin would set screens and I would come around them and shoot or they would roll to the basket and have an easy lay in. So we were just rolling through guys that were much taller and much more athletic than us. In the semi final game we were up by 13 points and my uncle set a screen on this guy. I rolled around the screen and pulled up to shoot. I guess the guy was tired of getting burned by some very basic basketball plays, because as I was going up to shoot shoved me hard as shit right in the back. I came down off balance rolled my ankle and snapped it. We had no sub so we had to forfeit the game.

We planned to go back the next year and try to win our division, because it was clear that everyone there was just street ballin and had no idea how to play organized ball. However 4 months before the next year's hoop it up my uncle died of a pulmonary embolism. The Dr said it was because of his weight. We probably could have found someone else to play with, but it didn't seem right. We never played in hoop it up again.

Kind of a long and lame story, but it goes to a point. Good coaching and fundamental play can overcome a talent gap. Yes there is a huge diff between some stupid tournament and the NBA. But the fact is we should have never been able to compete with this guys ( I forgot to mention we were playing in the top flight category).

Teams like the Jazz and the Spurs to me are very fun to watch. They are throw backs and I can't stand watching most teams play.

Look at the Jazz throughout the years. YES you had Malone and Stockton, but outside of Horny the rest of the guys were just guys. Bryon Russel, Tag, Foster ect were just guys that Sloan was able to utilize in THE system. They played smart basketball and way overachieved.

That's why I hate the fact that the Heat have a very high chance of winning the title this year. They don't play the game the way it is supposed to be played. They have two of the top 5 players in the league. They are winning by having the best pure athletes.

Ok I guess that wasn't a quick story.....Sorry Razz
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?    Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:51 am

Good points Magnus and nice story Romo. Too bad about the punk pushing you. I've played with players like that before where, when they're losing, they snap or try to fight or intimidate. LAME.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?    Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Never watched a game. Cant stand both teams.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?    Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody else HATE watching the HEAT and Knicks play?
Page 1 of 1