Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Jazz to sign T.Leslie Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jazz to sign T.Leslie

Go down 
+7
zero24gravity
Mutangclan
dongibby
Trollificus
MTJazz
TheMagnus
Calgary Jazz
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Calgary Jazz
Starter

Jazz to sign T.Leslie Empty
PostSubject: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Looks like freak athlete, 40' vertical, 6'10 wingspan for 6'4 guard. Explains his ridiculous 7.4 reb average.
Interesting move, does that means Raja is traded or released? maybe somebody else?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Looks like freak athlete, 40' vertical, 6'10 wingspan for 6'4 guard. Explains his ridiculous 7.4 reb average.
Interesting move, does that means Raja is traded or released? maybe somebody else?

Can't trade Bell, but it's got to be him they are releasing, no reason not to now.

I remember Leslie in College, impressive athlete.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm

WTF?

Isn't this kind of a bizarre time to be bringing on someone given there is no need on the roster for him given that Murphy is already seeing DNP's, the entire roster is finally healthy, (except for Marvin and Foye, who have come down with the "I Can't Shoot Worth Sh*ts") and any signing now is too late to be eligible for the playoffs? Is this a potential case where he played so well in the D-League (MVP of All-Star game) the Jazz are trying to get a leg up in recruiting/signing him long-term? I read recently that DL is all about internal player development, perhaps this will become another DC-type score. Very curious.

Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Impressive athlete, poor shooter, started knocking down threes recently in the D-League.

Who knows?

"And how much worse can he play than the guys we've been running out there? And the answer is...none. None...more worse."
~Spinal Hoop
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Trollificus wrote:

Who knows?

~Spinal Hoop

It just dawned on me...my dreams come true...they released Foye and are inserting Leslie into his starting slot...who will then carry us to the playoffs and upset of the Thunder in the first round. Sweet! Finally, some creativity and out-of-the-box thinking we have been waiting for.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 pm

MTJazz wrote:
WTF?

Isn't this kind of a bizarre time to be bringing on someone given there is no need on the roster for him given that Murphy is already seeing DNP's, the entire roster is finally healthy, (except for Marvin and Foye, who have come down with the "I Can't Shoot Worth Sh*ts") and any signing now is too late to be eligible for the playoffs? Is this a potential case where he played so well in the D-League (MVP of All-Star game) the Jazz are trying to get a leg up in recruiting/signing him long-term? I read recently that DL is all about internal player development, perhaps this will become another DC-type score. Very curious.

I am not sure when the time limit is up to be able to sign a player and he can still play in the playoffs but I know that it is not up yet, I read just yesterday that guy's are coming over from the China leagues and these guys can be signed and play in the playoffs. So this new guy could play for the Jazz in the playoffs if he is good enough to get playing time over the other players.

I see that this guy is a PG so maybe the Jazz think they have found a guy that can maybe become a player for them down the road and want to sign him before anyone else's does, let's hope they have found another guy like DC and other players they have found over the years that is one thing they do very well.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Might be releasing Tinsley. Maybe had something to do with his absence last week. No use for him now if.....no......could it be? Burks as back up PG? No......Corbin? Would he?
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 6:07 pm

dongibby wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
WTF?

I am not sure when the time limit is up to be able to sign a player and he can still play in the playoffs but I know that it is not up yet, I read just yesterday that guy's are coming over from the China leagues and these guys can be signed and play in the playoffs. So this new guy could play for the Jazz in the playoffs if he is good enough to get playing time over the other players.

I see that this guy is a PG so maybe the Jazz think they have found a guy that can maybe become a player for them down the road and want to sign him before anyone else's does, let's hope they have found another guy like DC and other players they have found over the years that is one thing they do very well.

I thought the deadline for playing in the playoffs was over(?) I know that was the case for Raja, but maybe it only applied to players currently under contract to NBA teams, not Chinese or NBADL. Yeah, let's hope it's another DC-type score, but no way that kid will be ready for extended minutes this late in the season. DC at least had about 1.5 months bench time before he started seeing action heading into the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Might be releasing Tinsley. Maybe had something to do with his absence last week. No use for him now if.....no......could it be? Burks as back up PG? No......Corbin? Would he?

Whoa, that would be a trip...but I think you are onto something with Tinsley. Why not let Earl go instead unless Tinsely lost his shit on Ty. Read on some other fanboard rumors that Tinsley and Ty were not getting along all of the sudden, (gee, it wouldn't have anything to do with benching him over friggin Watson, now, would it?)
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 7:13 pm

No details except a typical "no comment" from the F.O., but Leslie did tweet that he's getting a shot. No talk or speculation in this article about who is gone, but does say that 14 players traveled with the team to Chicago, so that would mean everyone except Bell was on the plane. (Wonder who won't dress?)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865575260/Utah-Jazz-Team-to-sign-D-League-guard-Travis-Leslie-according-to-reports.html

Leslie dunking on D.Cousins in college .... dude's got crazy hops....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvblnXCONLA

Dunks don't make him a player, but wow ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJugWCLHuCc
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 pm

MTJazz wrote:
dongibby wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
WTF?

I thought the deadline for playing in the playoffs was over(?) I know that was the case for Raja, but maybe it only applied to players currently under contract to NBA teams, not Chinese or NBADL. Yeah, let's hope it's another DC-type score, but no way that kid will be ready for extended minutes this late in the season. DC at least had about 1.5 months bench time before he started seeing action heading into the playoffs.

This is what I read and it say's that these players have until April 17th to sign and still be able to play in the playoffs.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-notable-players-back-from-china1/
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:03 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

Who knows?

~Spinal Hoop

It just dawned on me...my dreams come true...they released Foye and are inserting Leslie into his starting slot...who will then carry us to the playoffs and upset of the Thunder in the first round. Sweet! Finally, some creativity and out-of-the-box thinking we have been waiting for.

Maybe the jazz are hoping the lakers will go out and sign Bell and it make them start to slip trying to play him bench start who knows players are pissed and lakers miss the playoffs because? OK most likely NOT.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

Who knows?

~Spinal Hoop

Maybe the jazz are hoping the lakers will go out and sign Bell and it make them start to slip trying to play him bench start who knows players are pissed and lakers miss the playoffs because? OK most likely NOT.

No, the reason that Bell isn't going to be bought out OR play for the Lakers is because the league put a rule in place that says players waived from their teams after march 1st are intelligible for the playoffs. Only true free agents can be signed up to April 17th and be eligible for the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

Who knows?

~Spinal Hoop

No, the reason that Bell isn't going to be bought out OR play for the Lakers is because the league put a rule in place that says players waived from their teams after march 1st are intelligible for the playoffs. Only true free agents can be signed up to April 17th and be eligible for the playoffs.

So the Jazz simply waited for March 1st to pass, so now if/when they release Raja, he can't sign with another team for the playoffs? That is my favorite Jazz move of the season!
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

Who knows?

~Spinal Hoop

So the Jazz simply waited for March 1st to pass, so now if/when they release Raja, he can't sign with another team for the playoffs? That is my favorite Jazz move of the season!

Only did it cause Bell is Dicklessahole
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 am

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

Who knows?

~Spinal Hoop

I can't imagine the Jazz waited this long to release Raja just so he wouldn't end up on another team this year. Then again, I can't imagine why the Jazz didn't release him much earlier.

I used to be a big/huge Raja fan in his first stint with the Jazz. And, I wished we hadn't let him go. And, I loved him even more when he clotheslined Kobe in the Phoenix/Lakers playoff series after being very productive for the Suns. When he came back to the Jazz, I thought he might be a giant killer. That didn't play out (unless you look at the Jazz as a giant he's killed). I don't know all the politics involved in the destruction of Raja Bell, but, it's obvious his NBA career has been completely destroyed. His finances, however, seem to be holding up.

I don't know enough about Raja to say why he's done the things he's done. But, if I were in his shoes I might have done the same thing (and, I consider myself a pretty "stand-up" guy). What I don't understand is why the Jazz have waited so long to take this action! I don't think the Jazz were using Raja as a worm on a hook (I don't think he was trade-bait for any NBA team).

So, what do we get now? Clearance to bring up a D-League semi-stud? How does that help us now? How does that help us in the future? I'm open to suggestions, but I think the timing was all off on this one.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 am

I liked the move bringing back Raja. What I didn't realize was his skills had severely deteriorated.

As for this move, I look at it as Raja was holding the Jazz hostage. He wanted them to buy him out, so he could get the full buy out amount and THEN also go and get paid from another team. Utah said they would buy him out, but they weren't going to do it for the full amount just so he could go make more money and Utah had to pay in full.
Raja was an idiot, because he could have taken the discounted buyout amount, gotten paid by another team and at a minimum broke even AND been playing. But he needs the money at this point, and deep down knows after this season he isn't getting any contracts. So in the end, if I was Raja, I probably would have considered doing the same thing.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 am

Saint Louis wrote:
I can't imagine the Jazz waited this long to release Raja just so he wouldn't end up on another team this year. Then again, I can't imagine why the Jazz didn't release him much earlier.

I used to be a big/huge Raja fan in his first stint with the Jazz. And, I wished we hadn't let him go. And, I loved him even more when he clotheslined Kobe in the Phoenix/Lakers playoff series after being very productive for the Suns. When he came back to the Jazz, I thought he might be a giant killer. That didn't play out (unless you look at the Jazz as a giant he's killed). I don't know all the politics involved in the destruction of Raja Bell, but, it's obvious his NBA career has been completely destroyed. His finances, however, seem to be holding up.

I don't know enough about Raja to say why he's done the things he's done. But, if I were in his shoes I might have done the same thing (and, I consider myself a pretty "stand-up" guy). What I don't understand is why the Jazz have waited so long to take this action! I don't think the Jazz were using Raja as a worm on a hook (I don't think he was trade-bait for any NBA team).

So, what do we get now? Clearance to bring up a D-League semi-stud? How does that help us now? How does that help us in the future? I'm open to suggestions, but I think the timing was all off on this one.

Hey, if Raja wouldn't accept a buy-out for less than his full contract value of $3+ million, then why would they release him any earlier in the season? The Jazz would have nothing to gain unless they needed his roster spot to make a trade or something like that. It appears that Raja was not going to accept anything less in a buy-out than his full contract value (and that is his contractual right), so the Jazz' only leverage would be to tell him that if he doesn't accept a buy-out, that they will just hold onto him until it's too late to sign with another team. Makes perfect sense to me. I can see why both sides would make the decision they made. Raja got his money to do nothing. The Jazz weren't going to give him his full contract value, just to see him sign for even more money to play elsewhere. I don't know if you would call that a "win-win" or a "lose-lose", but either way, it does make sense IMO.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 am

Mutangclan wrote:
I liked the move bringing back Raja. What I didn't realize was his skills had severely deteriorated.

As for this move, I look at it as Raja was holding the Jazz hostage. He wanted them to buy him out, so he could get the full buy out amount and THEN also go and get paid from another team. Utah said they would buy him out, but they weren't going to do it for the full amount just so he could go make more money and Utah had to pay in full.
Raja was an idiot, because he could have taken the discounted buyout amount, gotten paid by another team and at a minimum broke even AND been playing. But he needs the money at this point, and deep down knows after this season he isn't getting any contracts. So in the end, if I was Raja, I probably would have considered doing the same thing.

It MUST be the case that he knows he's not getting any more contracts, because if he were playing, he could have shown that he "still has it". Sitting a full year, after being terrible last year, did nothing to increase his value and probably made it even worse (if that's possible). And I don't buy into a theory that a year off will make him fresh for next year.

Good riddance Raja. I too had high hopes for him. What a pitty.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Chances are that we won't see Leslie on the floor during a real game, but he at least appears to be making a decent impression on TyCo....

Earning Corbin’s praise

The Jazz signed Travis Leslie to a 10-day contract on March 10, meaning it will expire Wednesday.

Corbin likes what he’s seen from Leslie, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard who averaged 16.1 points and 7.4 rebounds with Santa Cruz in the D-League before coming to Utah.

"Great worker, good size," Corbin said. "We haven’t gotten a feel for him in a game, whether he is only a ‘2’ or if he can play some ‘3.’ But he’s very good at attacking the rim, and I think he can be a good defender with his body size. He’s showed himself well in practice."

Will the Jazz re-sign Leslie?

"We’ll evaluate it," Corbin said. "I like what I’ve seen."

I wonder ...... what is more likely; that we see Leslie on the floor or DC getting a fair shake when it comes to minutes?

Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Chances are that we won't see Leslie on the floor during a real game, but he at least appears to be making a decent impression on TyCo (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013)....

Earning Corbin (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013)’s praise

The Jazz signed Travis Leslie to a 10-day contract on March 10, meaning it will expire Wednesday.

Corbin (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) likes what he’s seen from Leslie, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard who averaged 16.1 points and 7.4 rebounds with Santa Cruz in the D-League before coming to Utah.

"Great worker, good size," Corbin (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) said. "We haven’t gotten a feel for him in a game, whether he is only a ‘2’ or if he can play some ‘3.’ But he’s very good at attacking the rim, and I think he can be a good defender with his body size. He’s showed himself well in practice."

Will the Jazz re-sign Leslie?

"We’ll evaluate it," Corbin (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) said. "I like what I’ve seen."

I wonder ...... what is more likely; that we see Leslie on the floor or DC getting a fair shake when it comes to minutes?

Well neither Leslie or DC is getting minutes. Leslie was released today without logging a single minute and DC has been getting rewarded for all his efforts this season with DNPs.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Crunchtime1 wrote:

Well neither Leslie or DC is getting minutes. Leslie was released today without logging a single minute and DC has been getting rewarded for all his efforts this season with DNPs.

So what was the point, exactly, in signing Leslie to that 10-day contract anyway? Maddening!
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 6:25 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

So what was the point, exactly, in signing Leslie to that 10-day contract anyway? Maddening!

Corbin (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) liked what he saw. Naturally.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

Corbin (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) liked what he saw. Naturally.

Hah! Good one. Stupid me - the coach formerly known as Ty Corbin (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) liked what he saw so of course he punished the uppity non-veteran, because hell, how embarrassing would that be if he outplayed Randy Miles?
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 6:45 pm

There's no point in keeping Leslie when players like Demarre and Jeremy are getting stupid, unfair, ludicrous, infuriating DNPs... AND the season is over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jazz to sign T.Leslie   Jazz to sign T.Leslie Empty

Back to top Go down

Jazz to sign T.Leslie
Page 1 of 1