Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Jazz/Spurs game thread  Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jazz/Spurs game thread

Go down 
+3
MTJazz
TheMagnus
The Voice of Reason
7 posters
AuthorMessage
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

Jazz/Spurs game thread  Empty
PostSubject: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Ha ha. Anyone see Jefferson's pass that Hayward wasn't ready for and it went right out of bounds? As soon as Jefferson got the ball, Hayward probably thought "well, he's gonna shoot it. No need to pay attention now."
Normally a mistake like that would irritate me..but who can blame him Hayward for not expecting that pass? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Sometimes I hate how beautiful spurs basketball is.
Actually, as a basketball fan, I love it.....but when they are playing the jazz, it pisses me off.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Great finish to 1st quarter and beginning of 2nd.
Great defense.
Marvin looking great.
Mo looking great.
Favors playing great D.

I wonder when Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) will put Jefferson and millsap back in?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Holy crap, Jazz up at the half? Guess I'm going to have to switch over from March madness and give this one a watch...
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 7:49 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Holy crap, Jazz up at the half? Guess I'm going to have to switch over from March madness and give this one a watch...

It has been a pretty solid effort so far.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Oh my gosh!! Two awesome posterizing dunks in a row.

By the way, is everyone else watching march madness? I don't know why I chose to watch the Jazz game instead tonight, but I am glad that I did.....so far.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Holy heck a Utah-Jazz-we-know siting, who would of thought in Texas, no less. Just tuned in - are the Jazz playing well or is SA just playing poorly? Notice pretty poor shooting percentage and turnovers for both teams
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 pm

MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Holy heck a Utah-Jazz-we-know siting, who would of thought in Texas, no less. Just tuned in - are the Jazz playing well or is SA just playing poorly? Notice pretty poor shooting percentage and turnovers for both teams

Oh no, the Jazz are playing GREAT. almost pisses me off...
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 8:52 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Oh no, the Jazz are playing GREAT. almost pisses me off...

Know what you mean. Like, where was this team the last 2 months? I have a bad feeling about the OT though. 17 TOs???
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Guess we were all wrong, folks:

"Marvin Williams makes a 23-foot three-pointer from the left corner. Assist: Randy Foye"

And I've been watching and it's been, as they say* "a gritty effort" by the Jazz, all the way.

Oh, and if you were wondering, the league-wide mandate about flopping is actually a "league-wide-except-for-the-Spurs" mandate. They are very good at it, though.

ALSO, the very best hard foul I've seen the Jazz give in a long time-Millsap with Duncan coming into him preparing for the shoot-and-flail attempt at a 3 pt. play and Millsap sent him to the floor HARD. Heh. It was beautiful.

Anyway, win or lose, THIS is a team worth watching and rooting for. It is NOT the same team we saw lose at home to the Knicks.

*-and I wish They would stop saying it. It's a tired old cliche. Still. The Jazz have played through a hostile environment and two different sets of rules as regards what constitutes a foul. Spurs are allowed to make considerable contact with shooters (Al, anyway).
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Gonna lose this game, but I like what I saw tonight. Great effort.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 pm

One gritty game does not makeup for so many poor efforts. It just reminds me why I am pissed off at the Jazz in the first place - they CAN play well when Saturn's moon is in alignment or something. And, it's an "L" in the books. Not much moral victory here in my book at all
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Dammit.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 pm

While I agree with you about the "moral victories", MT, I gotta say it's better to see them play well than just suck.

I guess the Jazz have sucked (by sucking) all the silver lininging outta ya, and I understand that.

So I'll do it.

Burks was really good. Really really good.

Mo was really good.

The defense was absolutely fantastic. At times. (with certain groups of players. of course, these are combinations Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) will be reluctant to use, for esoteric reasons us mere mortals will ever be unable to comprehend)

Marvin was good. Not invisible.

Millsap's effort in the bad matchup with Duncan was inspirational. Not perfectly effective, but an amazing effort. Grit-tastic. Still, he needed to take advantage of the flip side of the matchup, and take and make more 15 footers since Timmeh wasn't going to follow him outside at all.

The Jazz shot 12 free throws in 53 minutes. Jefferson should have had more than that alone. In the Bizzaro NBA, Good Commissioner Stern has explicitly warned the refs not to use different criteria for fouls from player (Al) to player (Timmy). This is not the Bizzaro World, of course.

If Hayward has even a decent game, we win this one going away.

Last edited by Trollificus on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:13 pm

MTJazz wrote:
One gritty game does not makeup for so many poor efforts. It just reminds me why I am pissed off at the Jazz in the first place - they CAN play well when Saturn's moon is in alignment or something. And, it's an "L" in the books. Not much moral victory here in my book at all

Well I just love watching the Jazz when they play this way. It pisses me off because I'm not even thinking about last month, why not last week? Or even last game? The kind of effort we saw tonight would have destroyed the Knicks and the Rockets.

I also thought this game got Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013)'d at the end there. Burks was playing awesome, Gordon wasn't shooting great but he was doing everything else, and Favors was paying well...and to start the OT Ty rolls out what has been proven to be one of the Jazz least effective linups: Mo, Foye, Marvin, Millsap, and Jefferson. The results were predictable and sad.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Also a bit surprising to note that the starters were all once again ALL double digit in the minus on +/-.

Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:37 pm

MTJazz wrote:

Post script. I was watching the Spurs feed and the post-game talk was the Spurs really did not play that well but they have had, all season, a way of turning it on and closing out close games, and this was another example. Granted, they probably don't give the Jazz much credit as a tough opponent so this should have been a cake walk, but then again, the Jazz can give an opponent that feeling when they look across the gym at them.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:39 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
I also thought this game got Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013)'d at the end there. Burks was playing awesome, Gordon wasn't shooting great but he was doing everything else, and Favors was paying well...and to start the OT Ty rolls out what has been proven to be one of the Jazz least effective linups: Mo, Foye, Marvin, Millsap, and Jefferson. The results were predictable and sad.

Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) wasn't perfect tonight, but he wasn't horrible. My biggest gripes were these ^.
Favors got 4 blocks and altered countless other shots in just 11 minutes in the first half. The third quarter (while Favors sat) saw Parker and others drive the lane almost uncontested for 10-12 points. I wish Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) would have inserted Favors after about 2 of those buckets to protect the paint. Oh well.

I like how you turned "Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013)" into a verb there, mags. Or was it a participle? Oh hell, repped at any rate.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:41 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Also a bit surprising to note that the starters were all once again ALL double digit in the minus on +/-.

Well, that's what I said on the "Fire Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013)" petition. He has his reasons for thinking that lineup should work and neither the evidence of our own eyes or, more importantly, the scoreboard, seems enough to change his opinion.

I mean, this is not advanced sabermetrics. It's not sophisticated computer analytics using heuristic weighting to evolve the program towards ever-more-complex modeling. IT'S SIMPLE FREAKING WIN/LOSE, SCORE MORE/SCORE LESS, WORKS/DOESN'T WORK. Damn. It's right there, in-your-face "Line up A=Fail, LIne up B=Win".

That's not exactly newfangled fancypants science queer stuff, Ty.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 10:37 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Eeeeyup. Ty F's it up again. Just when I was thinking I'm liking Burks getting this type of burn, its effective, theres more fluidity.....Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) throws out that lineup to start OT. He somehow manages to keep on shocking me. Ty seems to be operating off of the idea that if he keeps doing the same exact thing ENOUGH times, by pure percentages alone it's bound to EVENTUALLY work. This is not a good coaching mentality there Milkman....

You all go sign that petition. At least it was exciting tonight. And I finally get to yell at Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) in person on Sunday....
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 7:42 am

Oh my gosh!! Two awesome posterizing dunks in a row.

By the way, is everyone else watching march madness? I don't know why I chose to watch the Jazz game instead tonight, but I am glad that I did.....so far.

Setting aside all of the negativity, that Favors dunk over on top of Matt Bonner was one of the highlights of the season for me. Just an awesome play, from Mo Williams pocket pass to the fact that it was over perennial Jazz killer Bonner.
Back to top Go down
Huh
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 am

What a game. Needed that one, even though it was a loss. I can be a fan of a team that plays like THAT. (: New to the forums, I'm glad I've found so many different Jazz boards.

Shameless plug of my recap (I cover the Jazz for this new site):

http://sportsfansnews.com/2013/03/23/morally-victorious-jazz-downed-by-spurs-in-ot-8853

(Don't worry, I plan on posting here. Heh.)
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 am

Huh wrote:
What a game. Needed that one, even though it was a loss. I can be a fan of a team that plays like THAT. (: New to the forums, I'm glad I've found so many different Jazz boards.

http://sportsfansnews.com/2013/03/23/morally-victorious-jazz-downed-by-spurs-in-ot-8853

Welcome newbee. Nice read thanks.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 9:46 am

Huh wrote:

Welcome to the board. Nice piece of writing, couldn't agree more about the nostalgia, it's a little bitter sweet at this point isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Huh
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 10:10 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Welcome to the board. Nice piece of writing, couldn't agree more about the nostalgia, it's a little bitter sweet at this point isn't it?

It is. I mean, it hasn't come in four full quarters in a while. Not like that, not in a place, and against a team, like SA. It was a performance that actually made me care about making the playoffs again. Now if we could just redistribute like 10-12 of both Mo's and Al's new 40+ minute workloads to DMC/Fav/Kanter, we could be looking at a playoff-worthy team.

I'm just glad to see a rotation change that made some real sense. Only took 70 games, but hey, I'm really going to soak in the home stretch if we continue to see efforts like last night's. I had become a broken fan. Haha.

Also, thanks for reading it man, glad you liked it. I'll get back to your PM in a bit!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jazz/Spurs game thread    Jazz/Spurs game thread  Empty

Back to top Go down

Jazz/Spurs game thread
Page 1 of 1