Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job

Go down 
+5
The Voice of Reason
zero24gravity
Mutangclan
MTJazz
Trollificus
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job Empty
PostSubject: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:32 am

So, we've reached a point where the actions of a certain coach, who shall remain nameless (but it's Tyrone Freakin' Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013)), cannot be explained by rational analysis...his substitutions, player rotations and allocation of minutes can't be explained as incompetence, malice, insanity (not even popular 19th-Century favorites like neurasthenic fatigue or melancholia or 22nd-century maladies like Space Fever or Martian Brain Weevils) or stubbornness.

Ah, but what if...what if, under orders from the Two-Headed evil mastermind Bruvin O'Connorsey, Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) is actually TANKING, all the while talking about fighting the good fight and "not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet"?? In that scenario, Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) comes across as self-sacrificing, even heroic, allowing the fans to think he is incompetent/crazy while helping the FO grab more ping-pong balls and still claim to be upholding the core Jazz value of 'trying to win games'.

Suddenly, things make sense...

Favors is kept in when playing poorly (last niught) but sits when he's been effective (Spurs game). Ping pong balls!
Kanter's dramatically improving play is rewarded with 14, 10, 5, 11 minutes. Ping pong balls!
A team in need of energy and defense gives DNPs to Carroll and Evans. Ping pong balls!
ANY backup PG minutes go to the experienced-but-incrredibly-ineffective Non-Dynamic Duo of Watson/Tinsley over Burks. Ping pong balls!
The minutes of Randy Foye, Al Jefferson and Marvin Williams are unchanged in the face of a) poor play and/or b) poor results. Ping pong balls!
Lineups proven to be deficit-inducing are repeatedly trotted out in competitive games. Ping pong balls!

It's all about the ping-pong balls! Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) is allowing his reputation to be tarnished in the cause of getting the Jazz a higher pick! Now that's loyal. That's almost noble.

Enough to bring a tear to one's eye. Because the difference between the 17th pick and 13th might mean missing out on the next Jaron Collins or Curtis Borchardt!!

Last edited by Trollificus on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ping pong balls!)
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 am

Good one, Troll, a great way to start Monday morning! Fun as it is to ponder, we all know deep down the Jazz don't have tank in their DNA. We are simply witnessing horrible coaching and a pigheaded FO. The Jazz organization has ridden the loyalty bus, (to coaches, certain journeymen veterans, pending FA's, "systems", best chance of winning BS), right off the road.

End result? The rest of the league doing a collective head scratch. Can you imagine the relief opposing coaches experience when Ty monkey's with rosters that are working. No need for them to make strategic compensating adjustments, they just leave it to Ty to make silly moves for them.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 am

Great post Troll, and reality is at this point it is actually more believable than anything else. Things don't make sense with what he's doing. This is the only thing close. And I'd add the usage or lack of, of Paul. Burks finally getting all the backup pg mins in San An then 8 mins last night and Tinsley plays? Come on man....
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 am

Troll, that's a great "glass half full" way of looking at it.

And if Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) hadn't been pulling this crap ALL YEAR LONG .... I might even believe it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Troll, that's a great "glass half full" way of looking at it.

And if Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) hadn't been pulling this crap ALL YEAR LONG .... I might even believe it. Very Happy

The Mad Scientist way of looking at it:

"Actually, the glass itself is largely composed of empty space."

And if the Jazz keep winning it blows my (half) joking theory to bits dunnit?
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Ty Co (former Utah Jazz coach 2011-2013) even sucks at tanking.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:01 am

But Mr. C o r b i n has a few things down. In post game comments he repeats Sloans favorite quote "no one is going to feel sorry for us.".. which makes me doubt this threads theory. If they were tanking he'd obviously just say "no one is going to feel sorry for us, tanking."

He may not be tanking it, he's just slow to improve the rotation like us geniuses would have done a few months ago... Namely, bench Watsley, and play Burks full-time at pg... Hindsight is great inanit? But what isn't great is seeing a team like Houston have a better record. Kinda boggles the mind since "our" players clearly are better - minus the bearded stud o'er there. Then again they have Chandler who is pretty good.. maybe almost as good as our white guy, but since he's not a Jazzman that's hard to see when the lights are brightest at ESA. Maybe Lin is better than our two old farts (Watsley) but he's not better than Mo or Burks (since they're Jazzmen).

Maybe their center in Houston, what's his name? Asterisk? is better than our centers at rebounding but he's not a scorer so he must be below average. Maybe they try harder on defense but we have Marvin , who's pretty good at being invisible, but still plays great defense when we're not looking. Maybe Houston will get run in the first round, but they won't get swept!! Maybe Harden isn't a hall of famer but he doesn't have the potential of Favors!! Maybe losing Harris was a serious flub for KOC but we have a mid-round draft pick. Maybe the Jazz will resign Mo to mentor our next great point guard!! ... That makes me kinda happy, in a depressed sort of way, but still I'm kinda happy that Mo could be back since he plays hard and is "starting" to look like an experienced point guard that's pretty good half of the time.

There's a bright spot in every scenario the Jazz land in... get more in the draft if they don't make the playoffs, or, get swept again but have a ton of experience going to Jefferson and Millsap in the playoffs... We won't look at the fact that both may be gone next yr. They still are Jazzmen and we love them. The experience they could get in the playoffs could help another team.. and there's nothing wrong with that, right?

On the really bright side, the Jazz could make the playoffs, make a run and beat some contenders, resign Jeffsap and we could argue how Millsap was the reason we didn't make the finals...which would give Mags advanced stat fuel for another yr. Heck, someone may get the last word in on Mags if they don't make the finals.. that is, if Millsaps oposition is two inches taller , weighs five more pounds than him, AND could out-jump him by one inch... all stats provided by their pre-rookie measurements of course, which are irrefutable in an arguement, er, discussion, and carry more weight than Kanter before his second yr.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 7:54 pm

Oddly, the Jazz winning blows my theory without disproving any of the criticisms of C orbin. They are winning despite having the wrong players on the court half the time, guys playing poorly, etc., etc.

Also, on a side note...I'm listening to the game and, ummm....why is Marvin on the court?? He was invisible and inaudible and then I was reminded he was out there and I realized I had no idea why he would be. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Trollificus wrote:
Oddly, the Jazz winning blows my theory without disproving any of the criticisms of C orbin. They are winning despite having the wrong players on the court half the time, guys playing poorly, etc., etc.

Also, on a side note...I'm listening to the game and, ummm....why is Marvin on the court?? He was invisible and inaudible and then I was reminded he was out there and I realized I had no idea why he would be. Any ideas?

Marvin has been making some nice hustle plays and rebounding really well, don't mind what I'm seeing from him at all, especially on a night where Millsap and Jefferson are struggling to keep their guys off the glass.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

Marvin has been making some nice hustle plays and rebounding really well, don't mind what I'm seeing from him at all, especially on a night where Millsap and Jefferson are struggling to keep their guys off the glass.

Well, I am clearly a complete idiot because those two tricky shots at :00.5 on the clock were epic!

Sure wish he play like that more often. Foye too.

Great win though, all my theories be damned!!
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 am

Trollificus wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
Trollificus wrote:

Well, I am clearly a complete idiot because those two tricky shots at :00.5 on the clock were epic!

Sure wish he play like that more often. Foye too.

Great win though, all my theories be damned!!

I'm really trying hard not to be a glass half empty guy here, but it just pisses me off that Corbin refused to go away from what was not working all year long. Marvin was a 100% dud in the starting lineup all year. Had Corbin inserted DC or Hayward much much earlier, he would have seen that Marv on the other hand plays great with the second unit. So yes ANOTHER reason we wouldn't have lost all those games.

Marvin, Burks, DC, Hayward, Foye, Tinsley. All of them have been used improperly (and continue to be) and it has contributed to so many freaking losses. I'm still 100% behind fire Corbin. He's a terrible coach.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 am

Pretty obvious I just talk smack on here at times... Feel free to dislike my last post everyone. Let's get to the real important subject:

HOF on this site= Magnus, Tang, Trolly and a few others.

I'm a starter and happy to get minutes. The J is still falling but my defense is below average
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 am

aliveandkickin wrote:
Pretty obvious I just talk smack on here at times... Feel free to dislike my last post everyone. Let's get to the real important subject:

HOF on this site= Magnus, Tang, Trolly and a few othe
I'm a starter and happy to get minutes. The J is still falling but my defense is below average

I think I repped ya on that one. Always like to see people put some effort into posts and we get some good ones on here.

Sometimes, the lack of response is just people feeling they can't do justice to the post in a reply. At least, I tell myself that once in a while... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:50 am

Also, since the Jazz started winning immediately after the "Secret Tank Job"
Theory was posted, I am totally assuming that the Jazzmen had their
iPhones on the site and took great offense, leading to this whole "We
better bust our butts coz we don't want those Jazz Nation guys to really
think we're tanking!" win streak.

Sadly, we may also be responsible for the negative effect of keeping Corbin as coach. A very mixed blessing, eh?
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 1:32 am

Trollificus wrote:
Also, since the Jazz started winning immediately after the "Secret Tank Job"
Theory was posted, I am totally assuming that the Jazzmen had their
iPhones on the site and took great offense, leading to this whole "We
better bust our butts coz we don't want those Jazz Nation guys to really
think we're tanking!" win streak.

Sadly, we may also be responsible for the negative effect of keeping Corbin as coach. A very mixed blessing, eh?

Funny, I was at the Suns/Jazz game and post-game I saw Hayward and told him about this site and to ch ch check it out. After the studdering, he said, "wa wa word to your mutha, I already knows about it." I then said "really bro?" and he said "ra ra really, bra bra bro." Watson was listening and told him to stop razzing me. I just said "wa wa word to my mutha.".......and we just laughed and laughed. I love Watson now and am undecided if I still like Hayward. Lifes weird that way sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:34 am

Tyrone Corbin singled out Al Jefferson as a main reason behind Utah's recent success.
"He’s a huge part of the success that we’ve been having here of late," Corbin said. Jefferson just won Western Conference Player of the Week by averaging 19.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.2 steals while the Jazz went 4-0, and Jefferson's team has now won five straight in large part due to his performance. Corbin also pointed to Jefferson's defense when praising the big man.

So who does this say more about right now, Ty Corbin or Al?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 8:14 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Tyrone Corbin singled out Al Jefferson as a main reason behind Utah's recent success.
"He’s a huge part of the success that we’ve been having here of late," Corbin said. Jefferson just won Western Conference Player of the Week by averaging 19.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.2 steals while the Jazz went 4-0, and Jefferson's team has now won five straight in large part due to his performance. Corbin also pointed to Jefferson's defense when praising the big man.

Good question.

It was pretty clear that when the Jazz were in full on Secret Tank Mode that one of the biggest problems was Al Jefferson, so it seems to make perfect sense that him playing better would have a positive impact on the Jazz. No doubt he has been playing much much better offensively, he has been attacking the basket, moving the ball, and running the court more than I have ever seen him do, ever. It's really remarkable to watch the difference in the Jazz offense when he's playing like this, this team is actually fun to watch now, and credit for that has to go to Jefferson and Corbin for changing their game plans.

What I'm not really impressed with is the D. I hear Harpring and Bolerjack and Corbin and others praising the Jazz for their defensive effort but I'm not seeing it. I see a Jazz team that is just outscoring it's opponents, not stopping them in any way.

Over the last 6 games the Jazz have let their opponents shoot 49% from the field, 43% from the 3pt line, and given up 107.6 points per 100 possessions, these are the numbers of an ELITE NBA offense. Giving up those kinds of numbers make you the worst defensive team in the NBA if they were maintained for an entire season, and they are all well below the Jazz season averages.

It is a teastament to the incredible efficiency of the Jazz offense that they have been able to go 5-1 in those 6 games, but that record has nothing to do with improved D.

Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 am

Mutangclan wrote:

If you ask me, it says a lot about Jefferson. I think dude has never been really coached until he put his feet in SLC. He's been coached now and it shows. If he gains consistency stopping ballhandlers out of the P&R and continue his trend of quick hands on D, and continue to quick pass inside out and to accelerate his moves and decision on O... he can be something special for the Jazz going into the future.

Yes, i know I've called him out along Millsap... but hey.. I'm just a casual fan Basketball

I know Mag will attempt murder on me now Wink Smile
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 am

outerspacefan wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

If you ask me, it says a lot about Jefferson. I think dude has never been really coached until he put his feet in SLC. He's been coached now and it shows. If he gains consistency stopping ballhandlers out of the P&R and continue his trend of quick hands on D, and continue to quick pass inside out and to accelerate his moves and decision on O... he can be something special for the Jazz going into the future.

Yes, i know I've called him out along Millsap... but hey.. I'm just a casual fan Basketball

I know Mag will attempt murder on me now Wink Smile

Na, I agree, it does say a lot about Jefferson, for better and worse.

I do think it is a mistake to say he's never been coached though. Doc Rivers and Kevin McHale aren't exactly bums, and he's been with the Jazz 3 years now. At 29 years old and 10 years in the league this tiger aint changing his stripes. He may be able to better integrate into a team oriented offense, and by doing so lead an elite NBA offense, but he'll always be a liability on D, and no team with him playing significant minutes will ever be above average defensively.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Good question.

It was pretty clear that when the Jazz were in full on Secret Tank Mode that one of the biggest problems was Al Jefferson, so it seems to make perfect sense that him playing better would have a positive impact on the Jazz. No doubt he has been playing much much better offensively, he has been attacking the basket, moving the ball, and running the court more than I have ever seen him do, ever. It's really remarkable to watch the difference in the Jazz offense when he's playing like this, this team is actually fun to watch now, and credit for that has to go to Jefferson and Corbin for changing their game plans.

What I'm not really impressed with is the D. I hear Harpring and Bolerjack and Corbin and others praising the Jazz for their defensive effort but I'm not seeing it. I see a Jazz team that is just outscoring it's opponents, not stopping them in any way.

Over the last 6 games the Jazz have let their opponents shoot 49% from the field, 43% from the 3pt line, and given up 107.6 points per 100 possessions, these are the numbers of an ELITE NBA offense. Giving up those kinds of numbers make you the worst defensive team in the NBA if they were maintained for an entire season, and they are all well below the Jazz season averages.

It is a teastament to the incredible efficiency of the Jazz offense that they have been able to go 5-1 in those 6 games, but that record has nothing to do with improved D.

Yea interesting isn't it. I mean, last night the Jazz were out-shot like 48% to 45% or something. I mean, that does not scream better defense. And when was the last time this team was referred to as Swat Lake City even?

But Al has seem to of found someone else's motor all of a sudden. It doens't change the fact that if the opposing team's coach is smart enough to run pick and rolls at him, those guards are non-stop running right past him. Pretty sad still.

So the Jazz now are catching fire behind the arc, Jefferson is attacking more, as are other guys. Less settling for jumpers. Offense is clicking for sure........and defense is terrible. You know what a big part of it is IMO??? No Kanter, no DC and more Tinsley instead of Burks. Too bad Corbin continues this. When the offense cools, we'll be in trouble. Again.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Too bad Corbin continues this. When the offense cools, we'll be in trouble. Again.

True words. Jazz are NOT playing good D at all. Who here expects Foye to stay out of his slump? Looking for hands...looking....

It could get ugly any minute and don't even get me pondering the playoff "experience" the Jazz are maybe about to get. We've seen all season that the D is killing the Jazz and the only reason they are in the hunt is some nights they decide during shoot around that they are all gonna hit more than 42% of their shots and the other nights they forget to agree on that. O-For-Foye, Where Is the Basket Marvin, etc.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

Yea interesting isn't it. I mean, last night the Jazz were out-shot like 48% to 45% or something. I mean, that does not scream better defense. And when was the last time this team was referred to as Swat Lake City even?

But Al has seem to of found someone else's motor all of a sudden. It doens't change the fact that if the opposing team's coach is smart enough to run pick and rolls at him, those guards are non-stop running right past him. Pretty sad still.

So the Jazz now are catching fire behind the arc, Jefferson is attacking more, as are other guys. Less settling for jumpers. Offense is clicking for sure........and defense is terrible. You know what a big part of it is IMO??? No Kanter, no DC and more Tinsley instead of Burks. Too bad Corbin continues this. When the offense cools, we'll be in trouble. Again.

Oh man. It was actually 58% to 54!!! FIFTY-frickin-EIGHT PERCENT FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!! AND WE STILL WON??? That does speak to a truly awesome offensive effort (and only 6 turnovers to 17).

I'm almost afraid of the bad, bad lessons the Jazz are learning from this little run:

a) We have an elite offense. Well, maybe we do. We sure as hell have some fine offensive ballplayers. But I watch these guys standing around on offense and I see a team succeeding in spite of itself. It isn't "elite" in the sense that you can plug in interchangeable parts and stay elite. It isn't "elite" in the sense that the success will survive sub-par shooting from the perimeter (the standing around leads to very sub-par offensive rebouinding, or am I the only one noticing that? See below)

b) The recent success on offense has, as pointed out already, obscured some pretty poor defense. And at times this year, the Jazz have demonstrated "elite" suffocatinbg defense. What happened?? (see below)

c) The recent scoring has come despite, not because of, a slow, walk-it-up, Derronesque pace. What happened to the great blazing running the Jazz were doing so successfully earlier in the season (see below)?

d) The Jazz, if this little run leads to the playoffs, may feel they have found their "coach of the future" despite SEE BELOW:

BELOW!!!!

The Jazz are running a standaround heroball offense without heroball players. They very seldom compete for offensive boards, except for the occasional individual effort. They don't run, because of their only running players, Gordo, Burks, DC, Evans (Kanter and Fave will run sometimes, too), only Hayward gets much "run". By a total non-coincidence, these are also the suffocating defenders who are noticeably not on the floor while we are giving up 107 ppg (but still winning).

And the offense, the pace of the offense, the defense and the personnel decisions are all dictated by a coach who is, arguably, NOT the Jazz' "coach of the future". He is running the vets out there because it's "safe". He's having the PGs walk the ball up into that standaround offense because it's safer and he's having guys run back on missed shots because...it's safer. And when they get back there, they carefully, even SAFELY, don't miss assignments, don't screw up rotations, don't spontaneously double that rookie PG who looks like a deer in the headlights...even when the careful avoidance of mistakes leads to teams shooting 58% against you.

My point* is that even though the Jazz have been winning, and scoring well, I don't think it's our best style of basketball, and it's not something that will lead to success in the future. It's the kind of risk-averse game plan football coaches resort to when they want to make sure everyone knows that failure is the fault of the players, not his flawless coaching.

But do we fans, and the front office, and the players all share, as an ultimate goal, the preservation of TyCo's job? This is a wagon onto which I have no desire to jump, nor do I wish to be a part of the band thereupon.

*-a necessary expansion to explain the complete absence of any predictive power of the STJ Theory.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Trollificus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Oh man. It was actually 58% to 54!!! FIFTY-frickin-EIGHT PERCENT FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!! AND WE STILL WON??? That does speak to a truly awesome offensive effort (and only 6 turnovers to 17).

I'm almost afraid of the bad, bad lessons the Jazz are learning from this little run:

a) We have an elite offense. Well, maybe we do. We sure as hell have some fine offensive ballplayers. But I watch these guys standing around on offense and I see a team succeeding in spite of itself. It isn't "elite" in the sense that you can plug in interchangeable parts and stay elite. It isn't "elite" in the sense that the success will survive sub-par shooting from the perimeter (the standing around leads to very sub-par offensive rebouinding, or am I the only one noticing that? See below)

b) The recent success on offense has, as pointed out already, obscured some pretty poor defense. And at times this year, the Jazz have demonstrated "elite" suffocatinbg defense. What happened?? (see below)

c) The recent scoring has come despite, not because of, a slow, walk-it-up, Derronesque pace. What happened to the great blazing running the Jazz were doing so successfully earlier in the season (see below)?

d) The Jazz, if this little run leads to the playoffs, may feel they have found their "coach of the future" despite SEE BELOW:

BELOW!!!!

The Jazz are running a standaround heroball offense without heroball players. They very seldom compete for offensive boards, except for the occasional individual effort. They don't run, because of their only running players, Gordo, Burks, DC, Evans (Kanter and Fave will run sometimes, too), only Hayward gets much "run". By a total non-coincidence, these are also the suffocating defenders who are noticeably not on the floor while we are giving up 107 ppg (but still winning).

And the offense, the pace of the offense, the defense and the personnel decisions are all dictated by a coach who is, arguably, NOT the Jazz' "coach of the future". He is running the vets out there because it's "safe". He's having the PGs walk the ball up into that standaround offense because it's safer and he's having guys run back on missed shots because...it's safer. And when they get back there, they carefully, even SAFELY, don't miss assignments, don't screw up rotations, don't spontaneously double that rookie PG who looks like a deer in the headlights...even when the careful avoidance of mistakes leads to teams shooting 58% against you.

My point* is that even though the Jazz have been winning, and scoring well, I don't think it's our best style of basketball, and it's not something that will lead to success in the future. It's the kind of risk-averse game plan football coaches resort to when they want to make sure everyone knows that failure is the fault of the players, not his flawless coaching.

But do we fans, and the front office, and the players all share, as an ultimate goal, the preservation of TyCo's job? This is a wagon onto which I have no desire to jump, nor do I wish to be a part of the band thereupon.

*-a necessary expansion to explain the complete absence of any predictive power of the STJ Theory.

I actually disagree here that this isn't the Jazz best style of basketball.

Offensively, I think this is and always will be the Jazz best style of ball, the movement of both the players and the ball has been the best I have seen from them all season (except for the few games when Jefferson was out), this is evidenced by the fact that they are averaging over 25 assists a game, well above their season average. The pace is slower but I think that is because the team is working for better shots, not because they aren't running, as they are still getting the same number of fast break points they have all season. The Jazz are also getting the same number of offensive rebounds that they have all season, but an area where they have REALLY improved is turnovers, they are just killing teams in the turnover battle, averaging less than 13 turnovers a game and having an ast/TO ratio of 2:1 as a team, which is unheard of.

The Defense is crap, but that is because our vets are crappy defenders. Which is why I would argue that for this team, featuring these players, this style of basketball is absolutely our best style of basketball. This team is built to be an offensive powerhouse. It's got all the ingredients, shooters, slashers, post scorers, opportunistic scrappers, every member of the starting 5 and most of the guys off the bench could get hot and go for 25+ on any given night. So why not play to that strength?

That is why I think what we are seeing now is working, it's like a fun-n-gun philosophy in slow motion, high efficiency offense that shares the ball and rarely turns it over and defense that focuses on getting the ball back quickly, whether by forcing turnovers or letting the other team shoot. It's not something that I want to see long term, next season I want to see the powerhouse offense AND better D, but for now I'm just enjoying the ride and grateful for the fact that Jazz basketball is actually watchable, which is more than I could say a few games ago.

Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

Yay. I called it. I'm so excited. Whoo.
Nice rotations tonight Tyrone, good game plan.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Yup. Ditto. Said that in the other thread but didn't bother to go into rotation failures.

Can we fire TyCo yet?

Because for some reason DC and JE doesn't play during these horrible losses when shit counts? I am sooooo over safe coaching at this point. I think some peeps got pysched because we beat up on a few non-playoff teams and the Nets at home and all the sudden there was a lot of questioning love in the room. Maybe Ty ain't suck bad. Maybe Ty won't ride Foye when he sucks. Maybe Ty gives Burkes minutes when Mo blows. Same drill, different game.

Jazz haven't done squat for months now despite a deep roster.
And. Doh! The ten deep Nuggies just showed how to do it in a smaller market without an All-star.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job   The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job Empty

Back to top Go down

The Mystery of the Secret Tank Job
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next