Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Utah - A "Point Guard Culture"? Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Utah - A "Point Guard Culture"?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

Utah - A "Point Guard Culture"? Empty
PostSubject: Utah - A "Point Guard Culture"?   Utah - A "Point Guard Culture"? EmptyFri May 24, 2013 9:29 am

Been noticing lots of pundits talking about Utah's "point guard culture" and everyone's assumption the Jazz have a PG on the top of the wish list in the draft...and it got me thinking. "Culture"? Because Stockton played for the Jazz? Or Ricky Green before him? C'mon, that was ages ago. Why not a PF culture, what with Dantley and Karl Malone? Does OKC have a small forward culture because of Durant? Or a PG culture because of Westbrook? All that talk smacks of lazy and trite sports journalism.

I'm sure the topic of DW will come up...the first time the Jazz moved up in a draft to grab anyone, and he was a PG. But, that was simply filling an obvious roster hole, not a "cultural thing".

Its one thing if you have a coach or coaches on the bench who have been really good at developing PG's as a specialty, like PHX's PED dispensing training staff - one could edge towards calling it a "cultural" thing. Jazz don't have anything like that right now. A Jazz "cultural thing" could be a classy professional organization with a track record of hiring solid NBA citizens - but that has nothing to do with point guards. And in fact, DW turned out to be an unsolid douche NBA citizen, a PG. Or perhaps as Tang suggested, the Jazz culture is "loyalty to loyalty". Or having at least one white guy on the roster.

Bring on the draft, I'm bored.
Back to top Go down

Utah - A "Point Guard Culture"?
Page 1 of 1