Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  TribTalk, RIP  Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TribTalk, RIP

Go down 
+5
Mister 4x4
zero24gravity
Saint Louis
Romoholic
TheMagnus
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyFri May 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Well, it finally happened, can't help but be a little sad...

http://tribtalk.com/index.php

TribTalk wrote:

The TribTalk Message Boards have been taken offline indefinitely. A server move a few weeks ago corrupted the database, which would mean starting over with the boards. Considering the resources available to do that, and the relatively small amount of traffic the boards get, the decision was made to simply close them. We thank you for your participation and invite you to join in our story comments at sltrib.com or interact with us on Twitter (@sltrib) or Facebook (www.facebook.com/saltlaketribune). If you have any questions or concerns please email tribtalk@sltrib.com.

Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyFri May 25, 2012 6:19 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Well, it finally happened, can't help but be a little sad...

http://tribtalk.com/index.php

TribTalk wrote:

The TribTalk Message Boards have been taken offline indefinitely. A server move a few weeks ago corrupted the database, which would mean starting over with the boards. Considering the resources available to do that, and the relatively small amount of traffic the boards get, the decision was made to simply close them. We thank you for your participation and invite you to join in our story comments at sltrib.com or interact with us on Twitter (@sltrib) or Facebook (www.facebook.com/saltlaketribune). If you have any questions or concerns please email tribtalk@sltrib.com.

I'll be honest, I'm a little sad by it. We have had a lot of great talks and greats BB seasons over there. I guess it's time for everyone to really jump fully on board with this forum.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Saint Louis
Starter

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:04 pm

Mag and I had a good political discussion goin on in the last few days of TribTalk. I'm not sure if the Jazz Nation forum is interested in political conversations. I'm always interested in political talk, but, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for Politics. If it's better for this site to have more conversations, then I'm all in favor of talking politics. If it ends up costing money to the person controlling this site, I'd rather just shut up and keep this as a Jazz-only site.

I want to make this site worthwhile for all Jazz fans. But, it would be cool if we could have political conversations on the side. The TribTalk was plagued by several fanatical posters that seemed more intent on destroying decent conversations than actually having conversations. I'd hate for that to happen here. If political conversations turn this site into an unmanageable headache for it's administrater, then we should get rid of them. But, since Utah is filled with a lot of really smart people, talking politics on this site might be a good thing. Let me know how you want the site to continue.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:06 am

I think we established that this isn't going to be the place for hot button discussions like Politics and religion. Romo really wants to keep it at least moderately enjoyable and civil, and no matter how hard you try 99% of those discussions will devolve into something base and ugly in an open forum. Also, I know as a moderator I really don't want to have to be responsible for playing referee in those types of discussions. I don't really plan on participating in that kind of stuff in this forum.

There is a forum for general conversation, and I guess if you want to post some political or social stuff there then I guess that is fair game. But just be aware that this is primarily a sports/games forum, and rather than mess with it if it gets out of hand, the mods (including me) will probably just shut it down and blow it away.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptySat May 26, 2012 3:37 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
I think we established that this isn't going to be the place for hot button discussions like Politics and religion. Romo really wants to keep it at least moderately enjoyable and civil, and no matter how hard you try 99% of those discussions will devolve into something base and ugly in an open forum. Also, I know as a moderator I really don't want to have to be responsible for playing referee in those types of discussions. I don't really plan on participating in that kind of stuff in this forum.

There is a forum for general conversation, and I guess if you want to post some political or social stuff there then I guess that is fair game. But just be aware that this is primarily a sports/games forum, and rather than mess with it if it gets out of hand, the mods (including me) will probably just shut it down and blow it away.

The problem is people can't discuss politics or religion in a civilized manner. They are much too attached to their opinion. That is why we will have none of that discussion here. I'm sorry if it drives some people away, but I don't want it here and don't want this to turn into the tribtalk's non Jazz forums.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptySat May 26, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm also a little sad to see Tribtalk go, but the truth is, this forum is way better. My only concern is that we really don't have a way to continue to bring in new people to this board. You guys are great, but it's always nice to get fresh blood in the water now and again.

RIP TT
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptySat May 26, 2012 8:43 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
I'm also a little sad to see Tribtalk go, but the truth is, this forum is way better. My only concern is that we really don't have a way to continue to bring in new people to this board. You guys are great, but it's always nice to get fresh blood in the water now and again.

RIP TT

Not really true. We are listed on google and bing now. We are still on the second page, but in time that will change.

Just give it time. It usually takes a forum a couple of years to be really successful. I think we are gonna be much faster than that. I Think by the start of the next season we will have to add a couple of MODs . We started with a very strong core group of guys, so we are gonna grow much faster than most new forums.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Romoholic wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

The problem is people can't discuss politics or religion in a civilized manner. They are much too attached to their opinion. That is why we will have none of that discussion here. I'm sorry if it drives some people away, but I don't want it here and don't want this to turn into the tribtalk's non Jazz forums.

I agree. A day after reflecting on my post encouraging the possibility of a political forum on this site, I came to the realization that it would be a bad idea. Mag and I are capable of having a completely civil discussion on political matters, but, if we tried to do it here other Jazz fans might completely destroy the conversation with the same crap that destroyed otherwise decent political conversations on the Tribsite. As a sidenote, it was interesting that in the TribTalk's last few weeks, there were a few serious conversations on the Politics threads that were not derailed-- there were lots of crazy threads, but the serious threads were better than they have been in a long time.

For political talk, I'll have to turn to Saint Louis' Post-Dispatch in the land of Missouri-- where greed and corruption taint almost every political figure! I've been a Democrat all my life, but I have never seen the amount of corruption of power that goes on (on both sides of the aisle) in this state! It seems whoever has political power here abuses that power. I haven't seen a more corrupt political system personally since I lived in Madrid, Spain (who are also facing repercussions from political cronyism). I know Utah politics aren't impervious to horrible corruption by groups standing to make tremendous profits by abusing the system, but, Missouri politics are so much uglier! I'll try to deal with it.

Thanks, again, Romo, for running this forum. I will now try to shut up about politics, and only talk about one of the best franchises in the league (since the early 1980s).
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptySun May 27, 2012 9:26 am

Romoholic wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

RIP TT

Not really true. We are listed on google and bing now. We are still on the second page, but in time that will change.

Just give it time. It usually takes a forum a couple of years to be really successful. I think we are gonna be much faster than that. I Think by the start of the next season we will have to add a couple of MODs . We started with a very strong core group of guys, so we are gonna grow much faster than most new forums.

I'm not going anywhere and I know it'll take some time to grow. This place is great. Thanks

Hoping to see a new face every once in a while.... that's all. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mister 4x4
Rookie
Mister 4x4

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Well, bummer. I have mixed feelings, though. Seems like the good point is flushing the turds - we probably won't have to deal with the dissidents and turd stirrers... but OTOH, some of the conversations made for interesting discussions. I know I won't miss the absolute hatred some of the folks would constantly spew (no matter what the topic), which is one reason I backed off to occasional 'lurking' status (I don't mind periodic heated discussions, but absolute disdain in the way of personal attacks for one another while trying to have a civilized conversation is just not for me).

So - 'bittersweet' for me. The Utah Jazz is pretty much the last tie to my childhood home that I can claim, since I haven't even set foot in Utah since 2006. But, this looks like it's going to be a good place to hang and yak about my favorite NBA team, as opposed to the 'free for all feeding frenzy' at TT.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Mister 4x4 wrote:
Well, bummer. I have mixed feelings, though. Seems like the good point is flushing the turds - we probably won't have to deal with the dissidents and turd stirrers... but OTOH, some of the conversations made for interesting discussions. I know I won't miss the absolute hatred some of the folks would constantly spew (no matter what the topic), which is one reason I backed off to occasional 'lurking' status (I don't mind periodic heated discussions, but absolute disdain in the way of personal attacks for one another while trying to have a civilized conversation is just not for me).

So - 'bittersweet' for me. The Utah Jazz is pretty much the last tie to my childhood home that I can claim, since I haven't even set foot in Utah since 2006. But, this looks like it's going to be a good place to hang and yak about my favorite NBA team, as opposed to the 'free for all feeding frenzy' at TT.

We are all for different views and disagreements. It would be pretty boring if everyone had the same opinions, but we won't tolerate the garbage that went on at TT for the last 2-3 years. So far it hasn't even come up here though. That's a good sign!
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 11:02 am

Just got this email from my work IT folks.

"Today we had to block www.sltrib.com. The advertising network they are using is infecting computers on our network with the Fake-AV virus."

Guess it's good that TTalk went down or I would be a lot less available to post.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:36 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Just got this email from my work IT folks.

"Today we had to block www.sltrib.com. The advertising network they are using is infecting computers on our network with the Fake-AV virus."

Guess it's good that TTalk went down or I would be a lot less available to post.

WTF. I guess I could see this from a small time web site or something, but from a actual newspaper. Not exactly on the cutting edge of technology. They need to be a lot more progressive or they will not make it much longer.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 6:01 pm

I only ever used TT for the Jazz forum anyway and here it mostly is!

I've had most of my political arguments places where "base, ugly and out of hand" was just the starting point and personal attacks were mandatory. But however fun and entertaining, they were also always (almost) pointless.

This is due partly to the aforementioned permanent attachment people have to their own opinions, but mostly because of the depressingly low quality of thought and analysis people brought to said arguments. That was, at one time, the sterling virtue of Asshelmets.com: we had some brilliant people posting there, with a variety of political stances, and it was, for a while, uniquely stimulating. I'd post something that was carefully reasoned, appropriately sourced and with qualifications for the things that weren't simply black-and-white true...and get a response like "100% wrong! How can someone so smart be so stupid? Here's why..." and end up defending my "obviously true" post for a week. (one guy, who writes software for Bloomberg (financial, not mayoral) responded to my claim he would argue with me if I posted that 2+2=4 by doing exactly that. Savagely and seriously. Suspect )

It was fun, and enlightening, but not easily duplicated. You can get some useful disputation on the REASON comment threads, but even there the gathering together of like-minded folks generates the "We know the answers" mob mentality* that's so repulsive on conservative or liberal boards.

*-as libertarians, they are closer to correct than those at either end of the (false) political spectrum. In no small part because they have no actual politicians with actual power to actually abuse.
Back to top Go down
shelley_utahjazzfan
Rookie
shelley_utahjazzfan

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Trollificus wrote:
I only ever used TT for the Jazz forum anyway and here it mostly is!

I've had most of my political arguments places where "base, ugly and out of hand" was just the starting point and personal attacks were mandatory. But however fun and entertaining, they were also always (almost) pointless.

This is due partly to the aforementioned permanent attachment people have to their own opinions, but mostly because of the depressingly low quality of thought and analysis people brought to said arguments. That was, at one time, the sterling virtue of Asshelmets.com: we had some brilliant people posting there, with a variety of political stances, and it was, for a while, uniquely stimulating. I'd post something that was carefully reasoned, appropriately sourced and with qualifications for the things that weren't simply black-and-white true...and get a response like "100% wrong! How can someone so smart be so stupid? Here's why..." and end up defending my "obviously true" post for a week. (one guy, who writes software for Bloomberg (financial, not mayoral) responded to my claim he would argue with me if I posted that 2+2=4 by doing exactly that. Savagely and seriously. Suspect )

It was fun, and enlightening, but not easily duplicated. You can get some useful disputation on the REASON comment threads, but even there the gathering together of like-minded folks generates the "We know the answers" mob mentality* that's so repulsive on conservative or liberal boards.

*-as libertarians, they are closer to correct than those at either end of the (false) political spectrum. In no small part because they have no actual politicians with actual power to actually abuse.

TT politics had a stimulating time...at least from my perspective. Even when it deteriorated aspects of it and the die-hards holding on were rather amusing. I gained a greater appreciation for Magnus during the death throes.

Your comment on libertarians has the ring of truth to it.

Back to top Go down
TroutBum
Rookie
TroutBum

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 4:19 am

shelley_utahjazzfan wrote:

TT politics had a stimulating time...at least from my perspective. Even when it deteriorated aspects of it and the die-hards holding on were rather amusing. I gained a greater appreciation for Magnus during the death throes.

Your comment on libertarians has the ring of truth to it.

Man, I was really hoping to get your take on this years election. I was unable to give you congrats over at JF, and you seem to have gone into hiding since then. Glad to see you here, and I look forward to some lively chats.
Back to top Go down
not-worried-man
Rookie

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 8:16 am

so what I miss most is the daily exchange of insults with robert jason yeaman.

I had mostly forgotten about those TT days until I stopped in here a few days ago looking for Jazz fan takes on the trade deadline. I would have been sad to see Millsap go, especially since the only two Jazz shirts I own are Dwill and Millsap.

I see Eric Maynor was traded, we could have had him back for cheap I bet(of course being a VCU alumni I'm a bit biased). He played well for us.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 3:31 pm

not-worried-man wrote:
so what I miss most is the daily exchange of insults with robert jason yeaman.

I had mostly forgotten about those TT days until I stopped in here a few days ago looking for Jazz fan takes on the trade deadline. I would have been sad to see Millsap go, especially since the only two Jazz shirts I own are Dwill and Millsap.

I see Eric Maynor was traded, we could have had him back for cheap I bet(of course being a VCU alumni I'm a bit biased). He played well for us.

Yeah it would have been nice to get Maynor back for cheap, Not a future starter or anything, but a upgrade at the backup spot. Oh well, I assume we are gonna see it addressed in the off season.
Back to top Go down
not-worried-man
Rookie

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Being a Redskins fan its tough to have a conversation with a person who calls themselves a romoholic . You can always change your user name and you have not. You really should!

Anyways, nice forum you got here, I see your asshelmet friends have not decided to destroy the place, thats good!

I'll be checking in come playoff time, that is if the Spazz dont blow their position and let the Fakers into the last spot. I hope not.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TribTalk, RIP  Empty
PostSubject: Re: TribTalk, RIP    TribTalk, RIP  Empty

Back to top Go down

TribTalk, RIP
Page 1 of 1