Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.

Go down 
+7
Crunchtime1
Saint Louis
dongibby
Mutangclan
Sampaguy
outerspacefan
Romoholic
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. Empty
PostSubject: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I'll be a happy camper if Mo opts in and this thing actually happen bounce cheers flower
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 3:55 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
I'll be a happy camper if Mo opts in and this thing actually happen bounce cheers flower

There is no way he doesn't opt in. He is due 8.5 million and he won't get that as a FA. No chance he passes up that kind of coin.
Back to top Go down
Sampaguy
Rookie
Sampaguy

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Romoholic wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

There is no way he doesn't opt in. He is due 8.5 million and he won't get that as a FA. No chance he passes up that kind of coin.

I was just about to say that...he won't get any offers close to what he's due...I'm 95% sure he's a Jazz man again!
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Did I call it or what??!!!??? :

Subject: Re: Next Season's PG Yesterday at 9:17 am
[i]Alright, few of us were high on Mo Williams coming back. I think he is a definite upgrade over Devin. Better shooter, probably slightly
better scorer, better free throw shooter, definitely better 3pt shooter, better passer, better defender. Clippers want to bring Odom back
to LA but need a 3rd team with the Mavs to take Mo's 8.5m contract on so no money comes back to the Mavs. Utah's TPE anyone???
If nothing else is on the horizon for PG help,and the TPE does need to be used by December I believe then.... I think I'm pretty good with this one. Question is do you all feel this would be an upgrade, a "good enough" upgrade, and the foreseeable future PG we needed? I say I fall in the good enough upgrade and would be happy rolling out our lineup with Mo as our guy.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8100397/sources-los-angeles-clippers-engaged-dallas-mavericks-trade-talks-lamar-odom

I haven't seen that this actually is a done deal yet, other than bleacher report which I'm so/so on. I'll wait for realgm or espn to report it.
BUT, this is HUGE!!!! Mo is a VERY good 3pt shooter and scorer. Both of which are better than Devin, and he is a much better passer. Better defender too.

TheMagnus wrote:

I think both of them would get starter minutes, I think Mo could actually be fighting to start at SG as well as PG. Either way, they would both get starter minutes because one or the other of them would log significant minutes at SG. Mo is a combo guard, and actually played most of his minutes at shooting guard this year, so my guess is that is what the Jazz have in mind. They bring in Mo and basically have the team ready to go for next season. Not that they will stop looking for good deals of moves that could bring in top quality players, but if they add Mo they are pretty much good to go with him, Harris and Burks to hold down the guard spots with Hayward giving spot duty, Millsap gets more minutes at SF to fill the gap and make time for the young guys down low while Evans, Carrol, Watson, and random-player-x round out the bench.

With all of the talented young PG's in the league right now guys like Mo Williams and Andre Miller are smoking crack if they think they can start at PG in the NBA next year. It aint gonna happen, and I don't think it will take either of them all that long to come to grips with that reality.

Whoa Magnus, you can't possibly put Andre Miller and Mo Williams in the same conversation. Andre is savvy, while Mo can do it all as a PG. I think you guys are vastly under-estimating him. I mean, he hasn't been able to show what he can do almost forever. Can't play PG because of CP3 and before that he was with ball hog Lebron. Either way he still managed to score a bunch and is a very good 3pt shooter.

And I disagree. I think the Jazz thinking is that Mo is being brought in to be the starting PG from now on. He is a starting PG in this league IMO, he's just been forced to play with Lebron and then CP3. I look at Mo as Dragic, pretty much equals here. Both will get their chance in 2012-13. Mo is a much better player than Devin tho IMO, in the team aspect. And I think Mo WANTS to be a better player and is a better competitor. Like I just heard Franchilla say "playing hard is a skill", and I think thats Mo (not Devin all the time). He is a better shooter, scorer, 3pt shooter, passer and defender. IF, and a big IF Devin is still here, I think he's going to be the change of pace type back up PG.

**Update, 805pm EST**
Brian T. Smith
Update: A high-ranking source with direct knowledge of the situation says they're not aware of Mo Williams expressing a willingness to join the #UtahJazz. The Jazz remain open to the deal, though. A source close to Williams said the deal is not complete and Williams remains undecided about his future.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Sampaguy wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

I was just about to say that...he won't get any offers close to what he's due...I'm 95% sure he's a Jazz man again!

This would be big for the Jazz if it happens Mo a Jazz man is something that I have been calling for the day Paul was traded to the Clipp's he is a top 10 PG in the NBA no doubt about it and takes this team to the next level IMO. Keeping my fingers crossed that it goes down
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:11 pm

dongibby wrote:
/quote]

This would be big for the Jazz if it happens Mo a Jazz man is something that I have been calling for the day Paul was traded to the Clipp's he is a top 10 PG in the NBA no doubt about it and takes this team to the next level IMO. Keeping my fingers crossed that it goes down

True you have Don, true. This would be pretty crazy; Utah never, NEVER goes after starting quality, former all stars. This is huge. Mo said a few weeks back he'll be opting in, so that would mean he's traded. He still hasn't actually signed though, so could certainly change his mind and then we have nothing.
Not to be a broken record, but man, I LOVE this. Theres our 3pt shooting we're missing, PG passer type we're missing. And he's a starter that wants to lead.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Yeah! I think. I don't fully understand the money aspect of it. It sounds like, if this goes through, we trade our trade exception for Memo to Dallas, then get Mo (YEAH!) and pay a little over market value for his services. If that's it, I'm okay with it-- maybe even happy.

Mo is an asset, even if he's getting more money from the Jazz than he would get testing the free market. He isn't (IMO) a better PG than Harris, but he's a much better PG/SG tweener than anyone on the Jazz roster. He reminds me a lot of what Hardin is capable of in OKC, and what Lou Williams has done for the 76ers. I wouldn't expect him to be our leading scorer, like Williams was with the76ers coming off the bench, but I would expect him to be a spark plug like both Williams and Harden.

What would worry me a little is that L. Williams and Harden (and Mo) are 6th men that really could be starters, but don't really match up so well with their opponents' starting PG or SG.

The trade looks good for all teams as long as Dallas can use the trade exception. And, I'm really happy we can get Mo back on our team.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Saint Louis wrote:
Yeah! I think. I don't fully understand the money aspect of it. It sounds like, if this goes through, we trade our trade exception for Memo to Dallas, then get Mo (YEAH!) and pay a little over market value for his services. If that's it, I'm okay with it-- maybe even happy.

Mo is an asset, even if he's getting more money from the Jazz than he would get testing the free market. He isn't (IMO) a better PG than Harris, but he's a much better PG/SG tweener than anyone on the Jazz roster. He reminds me a lot of what Hardin is capable of in OKC, and what Lou Williams has done for the 76ers. I wouldn't expect him to be our leading scorer, like Williams was with the76ers coming off the bench, but I would expect him to be a spark plug like both Williams and Harden.

What would worry me a little is that L. Williams and Harden (and Mo) are 6th men that really could be starters, but don't really match up so well with their opponents' starting PG or SG.

The trade looks good for all teams as long as Dallas can use the trade exception. And, I'm really happy we can get Mo back on our team.

SL, you and a few others have said Mo is a tweener etc and couldn't be a very good starting PG, but man I definitely disagree with you guys. Those other guys are scorers, but Mo was put in that position and much preferred to be a starting PG. Remember how disppointed he was last year when he thought it was going to be he and Blake??? I think Mo was made for starting and leading a team, he just has had to take a backseat to Lebron and Chris Paul. He did it for awhile at Milwaukee, and I think he's going to come in and be the perfect fit on this this team that needs a tough leading, 3pt shooting, passing PG. I LOVE THIS (assuming you're right Romo!!)
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Saint Louis wrote:

I think Mo will be the starting PG Saint when it is all said and done and IMO he is a better PG than Harris hand's down, Harris would be the guy coming off of the bench but he could also be the starting SG really hard to say one way or the other right now. If Harris just can't accept coming off of the bench if that's what it comes down to then he would still be a good trading chip, the Jazz should be able to get a player that would help fill the need of a wing that can hit outside shot's with him as trade bait. I am one happy camper if this trade does go through now if they can get AK to resign.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 pm

I don't know Don and MuTang. You may be right-- it seems Mo performed as both a starter and a backup some of the time. And it's really hard to number crunch Harris against Mo. Once Harris was traded from Dallas he was the starter for his teams

With our talent at the 4 and 5 (at least one of our 5s), our PGs should be able to deliver. With Mo on our team, at least it's a valid question in any given matchup, as to who has the better PGs. I still see Devin Harris as the PG leader of our team. And I love the thought of us having Mo Williams come off the bench and make the other teams pay for not going after him.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 7:46 am

Ok... Mo having second thoughts? No elephant
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 am

After losing picks to the Wolves and Warriors, it would be nice to have something go our way. Come on Moe; get on board!!!
Back to top Go down
Sampaguy
Rookie
Sampaguy

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 4:36 pm

All done! Mo is a Jazz man again Smile
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Really good move by Jazz brass; well done KOC!.

Now I want, I NEED the Jazz to trade Earl Watson for future considerations (or whatever) and pick the option on Tinsley...
Back to top Go down
Sampaguy
Rookie
Sampaguy

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 4:51 pm

outerspacefan wrote:

Now I want, I NEED the Jazz to trade Earl Watson for future considerations (or whatever) and pick the option on Tinsley...

Wouldn't you rather we trade Devin Harris?? I'd entertain that if options were available
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Sampaguy wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

Wouldn't you rather we trade Devin Harris?? I'd entertain that if options were available

Of course I would like to trade Harris too for assets that would help build around our youngsters. I just didn't want to ask for too much in the same post! Wink

That said, I love Watson's attitude... but he really, REALLY kills any chance of a real offense...
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Mo Williams has accepted the trade to the Jazz from what it is saying at realgm.com, I have to give O'Conner his due he has done it again and got the Jazz a very good player without giving up the farm. That is a very big pick-up for the Jazz and he did it with the player option again he has been able to improve this team big time using this option thing. Now lets see him working magic and find the wing player this team needs in a trade or a free-agent pick-up, again Mayo is now a free-agent and would be a nice peace to this team. It is going to be interesting to see how Harris react's to all of this if they can get him to buy into coming off of the bench or move him to the SG position they could have a very good 1-2 punch at the PG position or in the back-court.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:22 pm

There is little to no chance Harris is on the roster when the season starts. 17m is way too much money to pay Harris + Williams. Regardless of who would be starting you don't pay a backup pg 8.5 million. The only thing that makes sense is to trade Harris, pickup JT and buyout or trade Watson.

I have to think KOC has something else in the works or I don't think he would make this deal. I'm happy to just wait and see Kevin work his magic on this roster. I was never a huge KOC fan, but over the last year and a half he has been on fire. Making good moves and to this point no bad ones. He isn't panicking and has a plan to build a roster and it's working very well. I fully expect Harris and Al to be gone by the time we start training camp.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Sampaguy wrote:
All done! Mo is a Jazz man again Smile

I like it!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Romoholic wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

Damn good job there Romo.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Romoholic wrote:
There is little to no chance Harris is on the roster when the season starts. 17m is way too much money to pay Harris + Williams. Regardless of who would be starting you don't pay a backup pg 8.5 million. The only thing that makes sense is to trade Harris, pickup JT and buyout or trade Watson.

I have to think KOC has something else in the works or I don't think he would make this deal. I'm happy to just wait and see Kevin work his magic on this roster. I was never a huge KOC fan, but over the last year and a half he has been on fire. Making good moves and to this point no bad ones. He isn't panicking and has a plan to build a roster and it's working very well. I fully expect Harris and Al to be gone by the time we start training camp.

I don't know man, I think the Jazz Brass will be pretty satisfied to sit back and see how this group can do. I think the only guy they are eager to dump is Bell, other than that, if they don't get a good deal then I think they give this team a run as it is.l
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Trollificus wrote:

Trollificus wrote:
Damn good job there Romo.

Hey!!!! I want my props!!! And I'd like exactly ONE reputation point please!!!!! :

Mutangclan wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:17 am
Alright, few of us were high on Mo Williams coming back. I think he is a definite upgrade over Devin. Better shooter, probably slightly
better scorer, better free throw shooter, definitely better 3pt shooter, better passer, better defender. Clippers want to bring Odom back
to LA but need a 3rd team with the Mavs to take Mo's 8.5m contract on so no money comes back to the Mavs. Utah's TPE anyone???
If nothing else is on the horizon for PG help,and the TPE does need to be used by December I believe then.... I think I'm pretty good with this one. Question is do you all feel this would be an upgrade, a "good enough" upgrade, and the foreseeable future PG we needed? I say I fall in the good enough upgrade and would be happy rolling out our lineup with Mo as our guy.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8100397/sources-los-angeles-clippers-engaged-dallas-mavericks-trade-talks-lamar-odom

Thats right!!! Now, where's Calgary when I need him.......
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:

SL, you and a few others have said Mo is a tweener etc and couldn't be a very good starting PG, but man I definitely disagree with you guys. Those other guys are scorers, but Mo was put in that position and much preferred to be a starting PG. Remember how disppointed he was last year when he thought it was going to be he and Blake??? I think Mo was made for starting and leading a team, he just has had to take a backseat to Lebron and Chris Paul. He did it for awhile at Milwaukee, and I think he's going to come in and be the perfect fit on this this team that needs a tough leading, 3pt shooting, passing PG. I LOVE THIS (assuming you're right Romo!!)

MuTang, I don't know about the others, but I've never said Mo wouldn't be a good starting PG! I even compared him to Lou Williams (76ers) and James Harden (OKC), saying all of them would be good (very good IMO) starting PGs for most teams. The worst thing I said about Mo was that I thought Devin Harris might be a better starting PG than Mo-- and I qualified that by saying Mo has more upside than Harris as a tweener. I didn't mean to degrade Mo in any way by saying he has added value as a tweener (that would be like saying D Wade has less value as a SG because he has added value of good PG skills).

I did say Mo might have matchup problems against some starting PGs in the league-- but, now that I think of it, most starting PGs will have matchup problems against some of the league's great starting PGs.

As I said in my earlier post, the only thing I'm unsure about is the financial side of it. Mo, if I have it right, would have been an unrestricted FA, and probably (I don't see why, but this is what I've heard) wouldn't get offers as high as 8 mil. If that's the case-- wouldn't it have been better financially for the Jazz to keep their exception for the Memo trade and go after Mo in the free market (and probably sign him for less than what we are paying him now)? The answer to that may be yes-- but, if it is, I think the reason the Jazz moved on this is that KOC realizes letting Mo slip away from the Jazz to begin with was probably the worst decision he has made. I wouldn't want to make the same mistake twice, and I think that's why the Jazz snatched Mo up now rather than waiting and possibly missing out on the chance to get him back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.   Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams. Empty

Back to top Go down

Jazz trade to bring in Mo Williams.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next