Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  The Value of Deadline Trades - Page 2 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Value of Deadline Trades

Go down 
+5
MTJazz
rorybreaker
Mutangclan
Professo_Sloan
TheMagnus
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

The Value of Deadline Trades - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Value of Deadline Trades   The Value of Deadline Trades - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:46 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
MTJazz wrote:

The enduring mystery to me, and I'm sensing most everyone else on this board, is why the hell Marvin is entrenched in the starting slot and with GH back DC gets DNPs. The only thing I can think of is Marv's salary and the Jazz being exceptionally patient, waiting for him to break out a bit. Marvin's play is nowhere close to 7.5 million per. If the Jazz intend to bring DC back they will need to paying at least $3MM on 3 years and at that he is a steal because he could start on a lot of teams and be a 6th man on many more. And if they do bring back DC and Marvin, (who will obviously re-up), what is going to change with respect to Ty's use of DC? Nothing. DC won't get the time he deserves until Ty smells the coffee or Marvin expires. He is not an awesome trade asset as he is one of those guys who doesn't play up to his salary and is more of a second unit guy than a starter.

I don't dislike Marvin. Actually, I think he is a solid, but unspectacular and overpaid. I do wonder...... is it possible Marvin was being "showcased" a bit as a trade chip, but with the deadline gone, will soon give way to DC?

Thats what I was hoping for.............new lineup tonight???? cheers
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: The Value of Deadline Trades   The Value of Deadline Trades - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Hound Dog wrote:
DC's agent knew what he was last year and got him a little over $800K. He isn't going to get 4 times his salary. I agree with others that he could be had for multi year deal around $2 million per.
No way, I'll bet he gets offers for at least $4-5 million. Also, I see DC as a guy coming off the bench, I'd rather start Hayward now instead of Marv and then give DC a whole bunch of minutes. Eventually Burks athleticism and overall headiness will make him a starter and an All Star, hopefully he develops into a 2 that can legitimately play the point too.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: The Value of Deadline Trades   The Value of Deadline Trades - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:53 pm

rorybreaker wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:
DC's agent knew what he was last year and got him a little over $800K. He isn't going to get 4 times his salary. I agree with others that he could be had for multi year deal around $2 million per.
No way, I'll bet he gets offers for at least $4-5 million. Also, I see DC as a guy coming off the bench, I'd rather start Hayward now instead of Marv and then give DC a whole bunch of minutes. Eventually Burks athleticism and overall headiness will make him a starter and an All Star, hopefully he develops into a 2 that can legitimately play the point too.

Not right now he wont. Into the starting lineup, and he do what it do? Then he'll get a contract, I'd say he gets an offer from Utah for 3yr/9m, and I'd be ecstatic.
If it stays how it is sadly, he wont get many offers. Hey, you know, maybe thats what it is. Utah doesn't want to lose him, so they aren't letting him show off.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: The Value of Deadline Trades   The Value of Deadline Trades - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:54 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Jazz Dog wrote:
We all agree that we have a diamond in the rough with the play of DC. Being out here on the east coast I asked a couple of my basketball knowledgeable friends what they thought of DC as a player...not one of them knew who he was. That's the problem for him on the open market.
DC has had a couple opportunities to seek employment elsewhere but he continues to be overlooked by others. I don't believe he goes to any other team as long as the Jazz want him. I don't think there is a huge payday for him elsewhere (3-5 million). If I was the Jazz I would lock him up for 3yr 6 million contract (that doubles is salary). I would also resign Foye to a 3 year contract at $9-10 million.
Two reasonable contracts that won't hurt our flexibility next year.

I don't think casual fan knowledge is a basis for gauging DC's marketability. There have been plenty of coaches, GM's and scouts watching the Junkyard Dog up close and personal when they were playing the Jazz and know full well what he brings to the table. If the Jazz don't sign him I gauruntee you he will be heavily courted by smart franchises - San Antonio comes to mind, (eh gads, can you imagine what Pop would get out of him in a culture that rewards junkyard effort?)

The enduring mystery to me, and I'm sensing most everyone else on this board, is why the hell Marvin is entrenched in the starting slot and with GH back DC gets DNPs. The only thing I can think of is Marv's salary and the Jazz being exceptionally patient, waiting for him to break out a bit. Marvin's play is nowhere close to 7.5 million per. If the Jazz intend to bring DC back they will need to paying at least $3MM on 3 years and at that he is a steal because he could start on a lot of teams and be a 6th man on many more. And if they do bring back DC and Marvin, (who will obviously re-up), what is going to change with respect to Ty's use of DC? Nothing. DC won't get the time he deserves until Ty smells the coffee or Marvin expires. He is not an awesome trade asset as he is one of those guys who doesn't play up to his salary and is more of a second unit guy than a starter.
One way or another Marv will be playing for a new contract next year, the Jazz should shop him and if Marvin was smart he should want to come off the bench hoping to get a defined role, remember AK even hated the similar role he had with the Jazz that Marv has. One way or the other working harder will be the best thing he could do, guys like Millsap, Wes Matthews got rich and respected based on their work ethic, just like DC is doing.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: The Value of Deadline Trades   The Value of Deadline Trades - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
rorybreaker wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:

Not right now he wont. Into the starting lineup, and he do what it do? Then he'll get a contract, I'd say he gets an offer from Utah for 3yr/9m, and I'd be ecstatic.
If it stays how it is sadly, he wont get many offers. Hey, you know, maybe thats what it is. Utah doesn't want to lose him, so they aren't letting him show off.
You might be right about the Jazz hiding him so they can sign him cheaper. I still think he will get somebody willing to throw him more money even in this new environment. I think the era of the bargain player will be here and not so much of the Knicks and other teams mentallity of if they have a name over pay for them like they did with Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury, would anybody else sign a guy like Metta WP to the contract he got, even somebody like Steve Nash's contract will have to be rethought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Value of Deadline Trades   The Value of Deadline Trades - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Value of Deadline Trades
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2