Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Respect to Marvin Williams Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Respect to Marvin Williams

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Respect to Marvin Williams Empty
PostSubject: Respect to Marvin Williams   Respect to Marvin Williams EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 am

Say what you want about Marvin's game right now, but the dude is a class act...

Quote :

"I'm not a guy with an ego. I'm not an NFL quarterback, whatever Coach feels like he needs to do. That's been my M.O. from Day 1. I've been criticized for that, but that's fine with me. I'll play to win, so if this helps us win, that's fine."

So when Corbin informed Williams earlier this week he was considering making a lineup switch and then formalized it Wednesday, he received zero resistance from the guy who's been Utah's starting small forward in 51 of the 54 games he's played.

"I told him I was fine with him doing it. He's never going to hear any complaints out of me," Williams said. "Whatever can help this team win. We're on a fine line right now in that eighth spot. We're trying to make the playoffs, so if this will help us make them playoffs, I'm all for it."

"You've just got to do your job. I've been on the bench before. I've been a starter before," he said. "Whenever you get in there, you've just got to make the most of your minutes and that's what I've got to try to do when I get out there."

Williams voiced his support for his replacement, DeMarre Carroll.

"DeMarre's been doing a great job for us all year," he said. "And I'm sure he'll continue to as soon as he gets comfortable out there with that first five."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865575190/Utah-Jazz-notebook-Marvin-Williams-has-no-complaints-about-new-role.html

I also still think the Jazz need him to get back to performing more like his carreer averages to reach their full potential. His ability to defend bigger wings and take advantage of smaller ones on the offensive end needs to be better utilized. Using him as a spot up shooter is a proven failure, He's much more effective when he is moving in the offense and attacking the paint, hopefully he can get back to doing that more.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Respect to Marvin Williams   Respect to Marvin Williams EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 12:26 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Say what you want about Marvin's game right now, but the dude is a class act...

Quote :

"I'm not a guy with an ego. I'm not an NFL quarterback, whatever Coach feels like he needs to do. That's been my M.O. from Day 1. I've been criticized for that, but that's fine with me. I'll play to win, so if this helps us win, that's fine."

So when Corbin informed Williams earlier this week he was considering making a lineup switch and then formalized it Wednesday, he received zero resistance from the guy who's been Utah's starting small forward in 51 of the 54 games he's played.

"I told him I was fine with him doing it. He's never going to hear any complaints out of me," Williams said. "Whatever can help this team win. We're on a fine line right now in that eighth spot. We're trying to make the playoffs, so if this will help us make them playoffs, I'm all for it."

"You've just got to do your job. I've been on the bench before. I've been a starter before," he said. "Whenever you get in there, you've just got to make the most of your minutes and that's what I've got to try to do when I get out there."

Williams voiced his support for his replacement, DeMarre Carroll.

"DeMarre's been doing a great job for us all year," he said. "And I'm sure he'll continue to as soon as he gets comfortable out there with that first five."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865575190/Utah-Jazz-notebook-Marvin-Williams-has-no-complaints-about-new-role.html

I also still think the Jazz need him to get back to performing more like his carreer averages to reach their full potential. His ability to defend bigger wings and take advantage of smaller ones on the offensive end needs to be better utilized. Using him as a spot up shooter is a proven failure, He's much more effective when he is moving in the offense and attacking the paint, hopefully he can get back to doing that more.

Well he is saying the right things but who really knows what he is thinking but not saying. I am afraid that you are seeing what Marv brings to the Jazz he just is not the player that everyone thought they was getting when the Jazz traded for him, from what I have seen he is playing about the same way he was as a Hawk and is doing nothing for the Jazz. He might be a class guy I will give him that but he bring's nothing to the table for the Jazz with the way he is playing the Jazz took a swing on him but so far it looks as if they are behind the count and is going to strike out.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Respect to Marvin Williams   Respect to Marvin Williams EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Hey, it was never personal, it was business. Always should be.

Great he's saying all the right things, still doesn't change the fact he should be the 10th man. As for team success, I'm not sure it's needed actually. Just Marv's minutes are needed to be spread around to the top 9.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Respect to Marvin Williams   Respect to Marvin Williams EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 2:01 pm

dongibby wrote:

Well he is saying the right things but who really knows what he is thinking but not saying. I am afraid that you are seeing what Marv brings to the Jazz he just is not the player that everyone thought they was getting when the Jazz traded for him, from what I have seen he is playing about the same way he was as a Hawk and is doing nothing for the Jazz. He might be a class guy I will give him that but he bring's nothing to the table for the Jazz with the way he is playing the Jazz took a swing on him but so far it looks as if they are behind the count and is going to strike out.

No doubt he has been a dissapointment, but for me that is entirely because he is much much worse than he was in Atlanta. I wasn't expeting him to break out or suddenly become worthy of his #2 draft status, I just thought he would be what he had always been, and I was happy that we were getting that level of player, but he's averaging career lows pretty much across the board and has been generally terrible.

I think he was absolutely telling the truth here, and I'll go on record as being one of the people he was talking about who thinks his defferential team-first attitude can be a bad thing. I think when they put him into the starting lineup they said "you're a pretty good shooter, so we're going to make you a spot up shooter to open the court for Al and Paul" and he said "OK." The problem is that is not ever what he was best at doing. Marvin had his best year in the NBA last year, and he did it coming off the bench playing as a combo forward, he attacked the paint, posted up smaller defenders, and shot corner 3's. Last year 67% of his shots were jumpers, this year 78% of them are.

I know this is going to sound like just another fan piling on Corbin, but I think this is an area where he really screwed up this year. There was no adjustment made to get Marvin the ball in ways that would help him be successfull, and even after it was clear that the starting lineup was not working Corbin stubbornly rode it out for almost half the season. A good coach uses his players in ways that will maximize their strengths and hide their weakness, with Marvin he has been maximizing his weakness and hiding his strenghts.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Respect to Marvin Williams   Respect to Marvin Williams EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Total class response and it actually sounds sincere.

Just wish he'd played better. I was one who thought he might even improve on last year's performance.

Maybe there's something to the opinion that he might have been used better.

If so, his response to the benching is especially gracious.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Respect to Marvin Williams   Respect to Marvin Williams EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 6:08 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I know this is going to sound like just another fan piling on Corbin, but I think this is an area where he really screwed up this year. There was no adjustment made to get Marvin the ball in ways that would help him be successfull, and even after it was clear that the starting lineup was not working Corbin stubbornly rode it out for almost half the season. A good coach uses his players in ways that will maximize their strengths and hide their weakness, with Marvin he has been maximizing his weakness and hiding his strenghts.

Isn't it more like 75% of the season he rode it out?? Killer, absolute killer.

Yea, I dont care for Marvin's nonchalance either. Great to say the team first stuff, but really just seems like underlying all that is he doesn't much care. Like legitimately doesn't care about starting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Respect to Marvin Williams   Respect to Marvin Williams Empty

Back to top Go down

Respect to Marvin Williams
Page 1 of 1