Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Josh Howard Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Josh Howard

Go down 
+9
Mutangclan
outerspacefan
MTJazz
The Voice of Reason
zero24gravity
TheMagnus
dongibby
Romoholic
Crunchtime1
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crunchtime1
Starter

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 am

Josh Howard is starting. I am surprised. I expected him to play more and more as the series goes on, but Carroll to get the initial start. That being said, I like Howard more than most here. My biggest concern is that he might force up shots early on the clock like he did in the Phoenix game.

Jazz have missed their first three shots by a mile. Uhgg.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:38 am

Crunchtime1 wrote:
Josh Howard is starting. I am surprised. I expected him to play more and more as the series goes on, but Carroll to get the initial start. That being said, I like Howard more than most here. My biggest concern is that he might force up shots early on the clock like he did in the Phoenix game.

The first game of the playoffs isn't the time to be screwing with the starting lineup!
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:43 am

Romoholic wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

The first game of the playoffs isn't the time to be screwing with the starting lineup!

IMO Carroll was not playing well in the last two games so I understand this move and I think Howard is good enough to step in and get the job done, his playoff experience will be needed with this Young group of Kids the Jazz has now.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Romoholic wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:

Pop started Diaw for the first time this season, didn't really seem to hurt the Spurs.

I sort of agree with crunch on Howard, he's been my top choice to start in that spot when he's been healthy, but he's really struggling with his shot, and as off as he's been the last two games I think Carroll would be better for the Jazz right now.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 3:49 pm

No doubt that Howard is the better player, but he has ony played a handful of minutes over the past few weeks. And while Josh is better, Carroll's hustle and energy had really given a lift to the startig five.

Also, the team closed the season on a five game winning streak with Carroll in the starting lineup. I haven't verified this, but I thought I heard that the Jazz have a losing record when Howard starts.

I wouldn't have chose to make the change. Hopefully Howard can get it going in game two.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 4:07 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
No doubt that Howard is the better player, but he has ony played a handful of minutes over the past few weeks. And while Josh is better, Carroll's hustle and energy had really given a lift to the startig five.

Also, the team closed the season on a five game winning streak with Carroll in the starting lineup. I haven't verified this, but I thought I heard that the Jazz have a losing record when Howard starts.

I wouldn't have chose to make the change. Hopefully Howard can get it going in game two.

The Jazz are 8-10 when he starts, 22-21 when he plays. Post All-Star break the Jazz were 7-5 with him starting and playing about 27 minutes a game until he got hurt. He was playing pretty well then, and if he was that Josh Howard I would definitely say he should be starting. Unfortunately it appears that his injury set him back to about where he was at the start of the season.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Yeah he didn't look good at all today. Like I said it's the wrong time to be screwing with the starting lineup.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 5:26 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I sort of agree with crunch on Howard, he's been my top choice to start in that spot when he's been healthy, but he's really struggling with his shot, and as off as he's been the last two games I think Carroll would be better for the Jazz right now.

Actually Howard shot fine in the Portland game. In the game against Phoenix, Howard looked too anxious to shoot, putting up six shots in six minutes, while only going 2 of 6 and not necessarily looking to go inside first. But in the Portland game, he shot 5 of 10 over 25 minutes and seemed to take the shots in the flow of the game more. Demarre only shot 1 of 9 in the Portland game and 1 of 5 in the Phoenix game. Nonetheless, I just thought given the fact we had won five in a row with Demarre starting, given that our other four guys have been shooting pretty well lately and given that Howard had been out for awhile, that Demarre should get the start until Howard "takes it away from him".

I don't feel real strongly about it, though, despite starting a thread on it. I want them both to get minutes. Seems like our biggest problem is figuring out how to slow down Tony Parker.

Last edited by Crunchtime1 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Crunchtime1 wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Actually Howard shot fine in the Portland game. In the game against Phoenix, Howard looked too anxious to shoot, putting up six shots in six minutes, while only going 2 of 6 and not necessarily looking to go inside first. But in the Portland game, he shot 5 of 10 over 25 minutes and seemed to take the shots in the flow of the game more. Demarre only shot 1 of 9 in the Portland game and 1 of 5 in the Phoenix game. Nonetheless, I just thought given the fact we had won five in a row with Demarre starting, given that our other four guys have been shooting pretty well lately and given that Howard had been out for awhile, that Demarre should get the start until Howard "takes it away from him".

I don't feel real strongly about it, though, despite starting a thread on it. Seems like our biggest problem is figuring out how to slow down Tony Parker.
[b]

I didn't see the game, but I take it Harris didn't do well?
Did Tinsley fare any better?
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 5:50 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I don't feel real strongly about it, though, despite starting a thread on it. Seems like our biggest problem is figuring out how to slow down Tony Parker.
[b]

They looked better with JT in. Parker ran circles around Harris all day. Harris finished with 7 pts and 2 I repeat 2 assists.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Romoholic wrote:
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Crunchtime1 wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

[b]

They looked better with JT in. Parker ran circles around Harris all day. Harris finished with 7 pts and 2 I repeat 2 assists.

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of and posted as such as one of the top reasons the Jazz are in trouble with the Spurs. Parker owns Harris and Parker being the quarterback and being so skilled that is not a small thing. He sure didn't look hurt or nursing a wound. And, unfortunately Harris reverted back to mediocre-Harris. Honestly, I thought there was too little penetration and attack with the exception of the always gung-ho Burks. Wish Burks could play the point!
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Second time this season that Corbin's got something going and then decides to change things. Not a good policy if you ask me.

There are so many subtle, unmeasurable things going on on court that once you hit some success you should think twice before twisting it...
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Romoholic wrote:

Don't forget the 6 turnovers.

Parker ran circles around Tinsley too, pretty badly, but Tinsley did a better job with the offense, so that's at least something.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:38 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
Second time this season that Corbin's got something going and then decides to change things. Not a good policy if you ask me.

There are so many subtle, unmeasurable things going on on court that once you hit some success you should think twice before twisting it...

Howard for sure needs to be coming off the bench. He could be a spark and scorer off the bench. We NEED DC to start and be the energy, high motor guy on the starting unit.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:42 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Don't forget the 6 turnovers.

Parker ran circles around Tinsley too, pretty badly, but Tinsley did a better job with the offense, so that's at least something.

Yeah, but you would kinda expect that out of your pack up pg I guess. Harris is the one time all star and our starter.

There aren't many guys in the league that can stay in front of TP, but when he smokes you everytime down the court at the 3 point line. That's too much.

Parker isn't much of a 3 pt shooter so why not play off of him a litte? He might drop a couple of 3s on ya, but he won't take over a game like that.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Romoholic wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

Howard for sure needs to be coming off the bench. He could be a spark and scorer off the bench. We NEED DC to start and be the energy, high motor guy on the starting unit.

Yes yes, posted the same thing in another thread. Need DC do everything frenetic pace and energy. We have the scorers and rebounders. And Josh could be that scorer off the bench.
Hopefully he goes back to that.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Hindsight is sometimes 20-20. I don't think Howard was ready to start. He may have been healthy enough, but he certainly wasn't on his game. I do think Howard might be a good matchup for Jackson, particularly defensively.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Saint Louis wrote:
Hindsight is sometimes 20-20. I don't think Howard was ready to start. He may have been healthy enough, but he certainly wasn't on his game. I do think Howard might be a good matchup for Jackson, particularly defensively.

Sure, even more of a reason why Josh can come off the bench. Jackson does. Howard should fill that same role, and defend Jackson also.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Parker owns Harris and Parker being the quarterback and being so skilled that is not a small thing.

Unfortunately, you are absolutely right. I thought I remembered Harris being a big factor for the Mavs in the playoff series against the Spurs in 2006, which series the Mavs won and went on to the NBA Finals, but I found the head to head matchups, and even back then Parker was dominating Harris --- though not as badly as he did today.

Scroll down to bottom to see Harris versus Parker in that 2006 Spurs-Mavs playoff series:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=harride01&p2=parketo01
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 6:28 am

I think the idea, that several people have mentioned in this thread, of bringing Howard off the bench as a potential second unit scorer, and as someone to match up against Stephen Jackson, sounds like a good idea. Those two have been pretty evenly matched over their careers in head to head matchups and I think Howard might respond well to the challenge.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=howarjo01&p2=jacksst02
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 7:57 am

jazz my need to try a zone with the spur and D Favors needs to be on the floor more in game two. I'd start Mill slap at the three in game two. which means we need to play Kantner few more minutes but i think he need coach to show more faith in him. Not to sure who said it but i think he'll do a better job on Timmy than Al has. but one thing is for sure these guys cant buy into what the media is saying.Time to play with fire and go out and leave it all on the floor!
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 am

Something we need to remember, is not only is this a great learning opportunity for the Jazz' young players, but also for coach Corbin. He's going to overreact, he's going to make mistakes, he's going to learn. I have the same expectations of this playoff series as I did the regular season. Grow, learn, make less mistakes & get better as a team & as individual players (and as a coach).

It'll be interesting to see what changes are made for game 2. Thing is, the Spurs will also adjust, and have arguably the best coach in the league making those adjustments. It's going to be a tough road ahead, but now that the Jazz made the commitment to making the playoffs, instead of playing for that lottery pick, I just want to see them get better from the experience.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 am

zero24gravity wrote:
Something we need to remember, is not only is this a great learning opportunity for the Jazz' young players, but also for coach Corbin. He's going to overreact, he's going to make mistakes, he's going to learn. I have the same expectations of this playoff series as I did the regular season. Grow, learn, make less mistakes & get better as a team & as individual players (and as a coach).

It'll be interesting to see what changes are made for game 2. Thing is, the Spurs will also adjust, and have arguably the best coach in the league making those adjustments. It's going to be a tough road ahead, but now that the Jazz made the commitment to making the playoffs, instead of playing for that lottery pick, I just want to see them get better from the experience.

Good post Zero, great points. Corbin is a rookie coach, his head still has to be spinning at times. As we've seen he's not afraid to yank guys or make changes so I think we can look forward to that. We saw what happened with Sunday, so what can Ty do to give us a better chance to steal game 2? I think he knows, I think Derrick knows, I think DC knows.

What will Pop do? I'm not sure so much. I mean, they looked dominant. To us Jazz fans though we see what could be better, the Utah coaching staff probably does too, and whats the harm in doing whatever it takes to win? I'm going to say none, and I"m going to guess Ty is the same way.
Can't WAIT for game 2!!
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:24 am

It's funny I remember when the Spurs fired Bob Hill. I remember thinking. Who is the idiot GM that thinks he can just step in and coach the team LOL. I was a bit off there!
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard EmptyTue May 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I just really dont agree with Corbin on this one. Josh Howard starting again. I dont like it. I really hope Josh does some of his earlier season stuff, but it seems he just wants to come out and start shooting. Ugh. Corbin said he liked Howards defense.... Really dont like it, think DC is the better start. F.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I dont see what Coach Corbin saw....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Josh Howard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josh Howard   Josh Howard Empty

Back to top Go down

Josh Howard
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next