Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey Empty
PostSubject: MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey   MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Thought this was interesting...

Quote :

When 7-foot-4 Mark Eaton walks into a room, everybody notices. When the former Jazz center walks into the practice facility carrying basketball shoes, well, that's pretty noticeable, too.

Such was the case Thursday morning when Eaton showed up when reporters were about to exit.

Eaton, now a motivational speaker, explained that he was there to give pointers to Jazz center Enes Kanter after practice and that he liked to help out when he can.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865569551/Utah-Jazz-notebook-Jazz-wowed-by-Avery-Johnsons-firing-Mark-Eaton-helps-Enes-Kanter.html

Hope he sticks to the D, don't nobody need advice from big Mark on how to score the ball.

Now when are the Jazz going to get the Mailman in there to teach these youngsters the right way to play the game? I'm not saying he should be a coach, but I can't see how having him as a "special assitant" could be a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey   MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:05 pm

I dunno. Karl learned the system but for a lot of his career he excelled on sheer physical superiority. People remember the last 5 years of his career (where all the famous stuff happened-Finals, MVPs, Lakers...) and they remember what a sound player with a great jump shot and good hands he was. But I think some forget or never realized that for years Karl was THE physically dominant player in the league at the PF position and by a freakin' MARGIN*!

Eaton, OTOH. Eaton was just a very tall car mechanic when he was Gordon Hayward's age. What he knew about how to play basketball was learned, late, and in a much more formal setting that any other ball player. Because how much unsupervised, shootin' around, 1-on-1 and 2-on-2, horse (for money), full court basketball do other kids play? Especially ones who want to be players. Man, I spent 40 hours a week playing basketball one way or another when I was a kid. Eaton? No, he was never a ball player, even though he was tall.

During his time with the Jazz, you may have noticed that Eaton...ah...didn't have the best hands [/euphemism]. His hands weren't actually made of stone, but too often the result of common basketball activities like "catching the ball" and "throwing the ball" was much the same as if they were.

Anything he learned about how to play (and by the end of his career, he knew a lot) was learned as an adult professional. This is WAY different from how anybody else learns the game. I don't know what that has to do with coaching Kanter. It just occurred to me. Interesting, eh?

Anyway, what he learned are the kinds of thing that can be communicated verbally. Should be able to help Enes. That and experience.

*-Fastest, easily. Strongest. Good hops. Fastest hands. Loosest. Most-coordinated. Indestructible. Yeah, he was The Man.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey   MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Well I think Favors is also that kind of physically dominant player, maybe not to that degree but he is a special athlete, and I'd love for some of Malone's raw aggression to rub off on Favors and Kanter.

Because I think, along with everything you said, one the primary things that made Karl special was his attitude. Not only was he a special physical specimen, he was also just the right mix of competitive drive and borderline Intermittent Explosive Disorder. He played the game like he had something to prove to everybody, and wanted to be friends with nobody.

I think that is what Favors lacks most, and what I would hope the Mailman would try to communicate to him. Kanter seems like he is over-thinking the game at times this season, that was another problem the Mailman never had.

That being said, I was very encouraged to see them both showing some fire against the Clippers, not just in starting fights, but also in his effort and body language.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey   MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 7:12 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Well I think Favors is also that kind of physically dominant player, maybe not to that degree but he is a special athlete, and I'd love for some of Malone's raw aggression to rub off on Favors and Kanter.

Because I think, along with everything you said, one the primary things that made Karl special was his attitude. Not only was he a special physical specimen, he was also just the right mix of competitive drive and borderline Intermittent Explosive Disorder. He played the game like he had something to prove to everybody, and wanted to be friends with nobody.

I think that is what Favors lacks most, and what I would hope the Mailman would try to communicate to him. Kanter seems like he is over-thinking the game at times this season, that was another problem the Mailman never had.

That being said, I was very encouraged to see them both showing some fire against the Clippers, not just in starting fights, but also in his effort and body language.

Fair enough, and you're right about Malone having a nasty attitude-he was there to have fun, but it was gonna be at somebody's expense. And while I usually favor (heh) players who keep themselves under control over those who freak out every time they get a score and a call or make 0-footer, Favors isn't just under control, he almost seems passive.

It's not just his demeanor, it seems sometimes like his game itself should be more explosive, more...active, I guess. He's almost too smooth. Or at least it seems that way. Honestly, though, I'm not sure if I'm pointing out real flaws or just aesthetic ones. I do know other people see the same thing.

And at least Kanter knows a few things to think about this year. The 'natural' part of it will come with playing time. He's already not thinking too much about taking his jumper, which led to some awful misses last year. He's just doin' it, and he's got a nice, smooth shot.

I wonder...if Malone had been a "star" player, catered to from middle-school on, gone to a Big Time college program, etc...would he have had that chip on the shoulder, that 'edge'?? Just wonderin', because a lot of these top players, one year out of high school, don't really seem to be very hungry, you know?? They don't seem to feel they have much to prove. Or improve. Malone stayed insecure enough that he was always trying to add to his game, and perfect what was there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey   MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey Empty

Back to top Go down

MArk Eaton giving pointers to Turkey
Page 1 of 1