Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness

Go down 
+4
zero24gravity
Richardale
The Voice of Reason
TheMagnus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness Empty
PostSubject: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Gotta love Mark Cuban...

Quote :

Mark Cuban: Boo Derek Fisher

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban vowed to give Derek Fisher a villain's welcome during the 38-year-old point guard's return to Dallas.

Fisher signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder in late February, approximately two months after the Mavs granted his request to be released, purportedly because the 17-year veteran missed his family. Cuban was admittedly agitated by Fisher's decision to return to the NBA without at least discussing the situation with him.

While Fisher expressed a fondness for Cuban and others in the Mavs' organization before Sunday night's game at the American Airlines Center, that feeling isn't mutual, at least as far as Cuban is concerned.

"I'll just boo him like hopefully everybody else," Cuban said.

"I took the bait," Cuban said. "The lies that were behind it, I don't know."

Cuban said he was particularly perturbed by Fisher's decision to join a contender after quitting on the Mavs because the five-time NBA champion repeatedly reached out to Cuban when Fisher was unemployed at the beginning of the season. He said he offered Fisher personal advice and fell for the point guard's pitch, prompting the Mavs to sign him.

"My personality is to try to help somebody, particularly somebody that I thought one thing about, even if it didn't turn out to be that way," Cuban said. "So I was just trying to be nice and help. Usually when you help somebody, you expect at least some semblance of loyalty back. When you don't get it, then it's more disappointing.

"With his history, I shouldn't have been surprised what happened."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/9063581/mark-cuban-says-hopefully-everybody-boos-derek-fisher-return-dallas

Amen Brother Cuban, preach on!!!
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:40 pm

I love it.

I gotta admit, when "contract, what contact?" Fisher left the jazz, I was among those willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I even chastised those who vehemently spoke negatively of him and his leaving, believing deep down that his intentions were honorable.
He has sure made it difficult for many people to defend him now. I see him almost as a villain and I would be right alongside Cuban booing. I think Fisher has tainted his career and I think he is a lying scumbag.

It does bother me that the only good games fisher has had since playing in Utah, have been against Utah.

Oh well, kudos to Cuban for this and to Mags for the find.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Fisher is a true D1c(head
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:36 pm

I would go head to head with anyone who wants to compare their hatred for Fisher with me.

Just to recap a previous post of mine from 2/26...

Fisher is an absolute coat tail riding, politician, duche-bag.

I wouldn't be suprised (and I'd be happy to hear) that Cuban hires a bunch of lawyers to go after that scum-bag for breach of contract, or something along those lines. Sounds like something fun that Mr. Cuabn would enjoy doing in his spare time.

https://jazznation.forumotion.com/t464p15-point-guard#8092
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:59 am

zero24gravity wrote:
I would go head to head with anyone who wants to compare their hatred for Fisher with me.

Just to recap a previous post of mine from 2/26...

Fisher is an absolute coat tail riding, politician, duche-bag.

I wouldn't be suprised (and I'd be happy to hear) that Cuban hires a bunch of lawyers to go after that scum-bag for breach of contract, or something along those lines. Sounds like something fun that Mr. Cuabn would enjoy doing in his spare time.

https://jazznation.forumotion.com/t464p15-point-guard#8092

It's all well and good, but the national media crucified Jazz fans for booing fisher after the crap he pulled with the Jazz. I think an apology is in order, although it will never come.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 9:16 am

Romoholic wrote:
It's all well and good, but the national media crucified Jazz fans for booing fisher after the crap he pulled with the Jazz. I think an apology is in order, although it will never come.

I actually think that this situation may need a little more looking into because it's setting a dangerous precident for players who simply don't want to live up to their contract. Fisher, while servicable, was also expendable to the teams that let him go, because they felt a moral obligation to his "story" more-so than valued his services. However, let's not fool ourselves, because no NBA team would let go of say; LeBron, Kyrie Irving, or even a player like Paul Millsap just because they cried to the F.O. about their family problems. It's still a big money business.

If Fisher (AKA the biggest piece of trash in the NBA) had only done this once, then I can see just letting it go as an anomoly. But he's set the stage for other players to cry about "hardship" as a reason to simply get out of the contract they don't like, or to move to a team that they'd rather play for (or in Fisher's case, he didn't even want to play at the beginning of this year, but signed with the Mav's just so he could keep his spot in the NBA Union). And to make the matter worse, if the media gets hold of information saying that the team won't release a player that is having some kind of family crisis (or other personal reason), they will be called out as a horrible & heartless organization. Afterall, millionaire-players are still people, right?

There needs to be a rule in place to illiminate ths situation. If a player & team reach a mutual contract desolving agreement for a "personal reason", then there should be stipulations about only being able to play again if you go back to the organization who let you go during what would have been your contract (so if you leave with 2 years left, then for the next 2 years you can only resign with that team). This would get rid of any scheming on the part of the player, but also allow the two sides to still be able work something out in the case of a REAL crisis. ... and make sure to call it the Fisher-Rule.

I do wonder.... while I understand that OKC is trying to win a title, and that is a big deal, why would a team want to take on a player that they KNOW is a lying piece of garbage? As a fan (although, admitingly not a Thunder fan), I question the integrity of the OKC F.O..

.......... Then again, maybe Fisher is the only player that is a big enough scum-bag to actually pull this crap, therefore there isn't really an issue.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 am

I like the Fisher Rule. A guy doesn't have to be a scumbag like Fish to request such a release. Example - the talented but troubled Royce White. Houston gambled on him and if they release him for his personal reasons and he then gets his anxiety under control, Houston is the only team he should be able to re-sign with until that first contract period has expired.

I think the reason OKC picked him up is he good cheap backup experience and because he is who he is, can drop that dagger every now and again. Hard to believe he can look anyone in the league straight in the eye as a character guy. I remember a clear split on TT with respect to whether Fish was a manipulating dirtbag or simply a good guy who deserved a break and I know I was firmly in the dirtbag camp. Not only was the FO played, the fans were played. Not good for the game. Bring on the Fisher Rule.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 am

MTJazz wrote:
I like the Fisher Rule. A guy doesn't have to be a scumbag like Fish to request such a release. Example - the talented but troubled Royce White. Houston gambled on him and if they release him for his personal reasons and he then gets his anxiety under control, Houston is the only team he should be able to re-sign with until that first contract period has expired.

I think the reason OKC picked him up is he good cheap backup experience and because he is who he is, can drop that dagger every now and again. Hard to believe he can look anyone in the league straight in the eye as a character guy. I remember a clear split on TT with respect to whether Fish was a manipulating dirtbag or simply a good guy who deserved a break and I know I was firmly in the dirtbag camp. Not only was the FO played, the fans were played. Not good for the game. Bring on the Fisher Rule.

I agree that there could be legit reasons (such as your Royce White example). And if everyone was honest, then a rule wouldn't even need to be in place. But since everyone is obviously not honest <cough> Fisher <cough> <cough>, there really should be some kind of rule that protects the team. Afterall, if a team wants to release a player for whatever reason, they have to pay that players contract or at least reach a buy-out agreement, so why shouldn't the teams have the same kind of protection that a player has when it comes to recinding on contract obligations, right? Doesn't make the management bad people, just makes sense IMO.
Back to top Go down
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Changed Opinion   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 am

When Fisher Left the Jazz, I was one who felt the Jazz's FO showed compassion, which put us in a positive light. Now it's become most obvious we got played. I agree with the Fisher Rule. Most companies outside of sports put in place no competition clauses etc. when they buy out a company or contract. This makes the second time a player for the Jazz who I liked has lost my respect by their negative actions, Raja Bell being the other.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 4:18 pm

And let's not forget Fisher's OTHER main motivation, besides gravy-training his way to another ring: Getting behind Billy Hunter. And when I say "getting behind", I don't mean "supporting our union president". He just needed to be on a roster to still be able to sneak up behind Hunter with a shiv. Next time he undercuts Hunter won't be the first.

And while the latter is an endeavor that is arguably an admirable and necessary one, Fisher's motive, given what we know of him, is more likely "Derek Fisher, NBAPA President" than "We gotta get rid of this guy, for the good of the union".

Piece o' work, that guy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness   Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness Empty

Back to top Go down

Giving Derek "Contract, What Contract?" Fisher the Bizness
Page 1 of 1