Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Five best player on any given team Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Five best player on any given team

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saint Louis
Starter

Five best player on any given team Empty
PostSubject: Five best player on any given team   Five best player on any given team EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm

We've got a great discussion on the Jazz category of "Who are the best five Jazz players?" and whether teams should start their "best" five players. I don't want to load that discussion down with looking at other NBA teams-- but, we could use this category to talk about other teams, and who their best players are, and who they start. My point has been that good teams don't always start their five best players, and, it's very very difficult to even agree on who those "best players" are.

Let's start with the league champion Heat. I think their best 5 players are: LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Ray Allen, and Shane Battier. I can completely understand someone saying Chalmers is one of the best five players pushing out either Allen or Battier. Or, Mike Miller might make it in the top five. Or, even Chris Anderson might make it in (particularly since I think Anderson is their best Center). Miami, though starts U. Haslem and Chalmers over Allen and Battier because that gives their rotation much better balance. I completely understand why Miami starts Chalmers and Haslem-- but, it's not because they are Miami's best five players.

Then, let's go to the team that challenged the Heat last year: the Thunder. This is a tougher call, but, I'll go with my opinion first. IMO, the Thunders best five are: Durrant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Kevin Martin, and Nick Collison. I can completely understand someone saying Sefalosha or Perkins could replace Martin or Collison as being in the best five. I wouldn't agree, but, I can understand it. (I'll barely mention last year's team that had Harden coming off the bench instead of Kevin Martin.)

Next, San Antonio. All I'm going to say is: Ginobli.

Next, Clippers. And, this is hard because the Clips are so deep-- but here goes: CP3, Blake Griffen, Caron Butler, DeAndre Jordan, and LaMar Odom. LaMar Odom is MOST debatable, because he's had a pretty crappy two years. but, who is better? Grant Hill is over the hill. Crawford may be "better" (and, actually, this year he probably is). chauncey Billups is hard to keep out of the best five, but, he's been injured. Matt Barnes, statistically, should probably be in there too. Some might even argue for Bledsoe (I won't) who is really a very good player.

Who's next? Indiana? Actually, due to injuries, Indiana HAS frequently started their best players. They can't start Granger if he's injured! If healthy, I'd say their best five are: Hibbert, West, Granger, George, and T Hansborough. It's hard to keep George Hill out of the top five (particularly because I constantly confuse him for Paul George!) as well as DJ Augustin (who I thought would be awesome). Ian Mahimi, Gerald Green, and Orlando Johnson make it really hard to say who is better than whom.

NYKnicks next? Anthony, Chandler, (Stoudemire, when healthy), JR Smith, Raymond Felton, and... Jason Kidd? Arguments can be made for Novak, Shumpert, Camby, Copeland, Martin, Wallace, or even Thomas. the Knicks have been so injured, let's just not talk about them!

Next, Memphis? Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, (no more Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo), Mike Conley, Bayless, and Ed Davis? Toney Allen, Dorrell Arthur, and Tayshaun Prince might need to push Bayless and/or Davis out of the top five. There might even be an Austin Daye fan that would like to push someone out of the top five.

Next, Denver? Who doesn't start for Denver? I know, it's: Corey Brewer, Andre Miller, Wilson Chandler, and JaVale McGee. Who are Denver's best five? I'd say Iguadala, Andre Miller, Corey Brewer, JaVale McGee, Wilson Chandler. Ty Lawson (who is really good, and, potentially better) starts, as does Kenneth Faried (again, potentially great), as does Gallinari (who is as good as he is ever going to be), and, as does Koufos (who I loved as a potentially great Jazz player). Ty Lawson WILL be better in the future than Andre Miller is now= but, he ain't there yet.

I'm out of steam for tonight, but I think we could look at all 19 potential playoff teams and show where the 5 best players don't start for their teams, and, that there's a good reason why they don't. Someone else can take over from here. And, of course, it's a discussion-- so, counterpoints are completely welcome!
Back to top Go down

Five best player on any given team
Page 1 of 1