Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Would you take Jimmer?

Go down 
+11
aliveandkickin
13uz
therawns
Romoholic
outerspacefan
Saint Louis
rorybreaker
zero24gravity
TheMagnus
Mutangclan
Sampaguy
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 1:05 am

Those teams, except for OKC and the Spurs (and LA if they get Superbaby), are so close the positioning will be almost entirely decided by injuries.

I'm not impressed by the Clips, unless Paul goes all 82 games, and not that fond of Denver, either. Nash could reinvent the Lakies into real contenders or the whole experiment could blow up. Memphis, and arguably San Antonio, could drop precipitously if the wrong players are out for extended periods.

Can't imagine OKC falling off much though, but with a little good luck and bad luck for other teams, I could see the Jazz with home court in the first round. (!!!!!!1) Reverse the luck/injuries, I could see them in the late lottery, too. Which might be an interesting outcome...TWO more lottery picks on the team?? Whoa.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 7:04 am

Trollificus wrote:
Those teams, except for OKC and the Spurs (and LA if they get Superbaby), are so close the positioning will be almost entirely decided by injuries.

I'm not impressed by the Clips, unless Paul goes all 82 games, and not that fond of Denver, either. Nash could reinvent the Lakies into real contenders or the whole experiment could blow up. Memphis, and arguably San Antonio, could drop precipitously if the wrong players are out for extended periods.

Can't imagine OKC falling off much though, but with a little good luck and bad luck for other teams, I could see the Jazz with home court in the first round. (!!!!!!1) Reverse the luck/injuries, I could see them in the late lottery, too. Which might be an interesting outcome...TWO more lottery picks on the team?? Whoa.

I agree that injuries will play a major role and probably decide the seeding. Thinking of health, one thing to remember with Denver, and why I might have them underrated is they were 27-16 with galo int eh lineup.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:52 am

Hahaha, I think this definitely deserves it's own thread since it's a bit absurd; talking about Jimmer and what teams will get homecourt in the same sentence......kind of like my discussing in Sunday School when I hooked up with that hardly-english speaking Icelandic girl on Bourbon Street at 4 in the morning and still completely tanked.

I'm moving it...
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:11 am

MTJazz wrote:
If Jimmer gets his confidence back he can indeed become a one-trick NBA pony, the shooter who can't guard a paper bag blowing by. On most good teams that failure on D will negate him ever going head-to-head with the opponents starting PG, sending him to the backup PG position forever, (where I think he could make for a long career in the NBA). That said, look at Nash and Kidd, neither of those guys could play legit D right out of college but they were such students of the game, and hard workers, they at least got their D up to "not embarrassing" and more than made up for that on the other end of the floor. The difference between Jimmer and them, however, is those guys had uncanny game feel and passing skills. Jimmer is a volume shooter who would work out great if he had the size of a SG, but he's too small to make it at SG and he was never asked to rack assists and run a team in his college days -- steep learning curve on that in NBA game time.

I will keep in mind, however, that when Jimmer got picked KOC mentioned he was higher on their board than where he got picked. Since KOC is way better than me at judging potential talent, I would guess that they felt the Jimmer could be coached into something special. Fer instance, D-will did not necessarily blow me away his rookie season, (though he did shine a bit brighter than Mr. Kanter's), but he sure as hell came on strong in years 2 and 3. End of the day they aren't going to let Jimmer go for a price where most teams can develop him from the 3rd string PG slot.

Have you watched him this summer? His D is not that bad. I mean, he's no stopper, and he'll never intimidate anybody, but he does a nice job of staying in front of guys and he does a pretty good job of being in position to help on the perimeter. He's easily as good a defender as Nash ever was. You're right though, he'll never be an instinctive passer like Kidd or Nash. Then again, neither will 90% of the PG's in the NBA.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:58 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Hahaha, I think this definitely deserves it's own thread since it's a bit absurd; talking about Jimmer and what teams will get homecourt in the same sentence......kind of like my discussing in Sunday School when I hooked up with that hardly-english speaking Icelandic girl on Bourbon Street at 4 in the morning and still completely tanked.

I'm moving it...

lmao. Your crazy but i like it!
Back to top Go down
Sampaguy
Rookie
Sampaguy

PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 1:40 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
If Jimmer gets his confidence back he can indeed become a one-trick NBA pony, the shooter who can't guard a paper bag blowing by. On most good teams that failure on D will negate him ever going head-to-head with the opponents starting PG, sending him to the backup PG position forever, (where I think he could make for a long career in the NBA). That said, look at Nash and Kidd, neither of those guys could play legit D right out of college but they were such students of the game, and hard workers, they at least got their D up to "not embarrassing" and more than made up for that on the other end of the floor. The difference between Jimmer and them, however, is those guys had uncanny game feel and passing skills. Jimmer is a volume shooter who would work out great if he had the size of a SG, but he's too small to make it at SG and he was never asked to rack assists and run a team in his college days -- steep learning curve on that in NBA game time.

I will keep in mind, however, that when Jimmer got picked KOC mentioned he was higher on their board than where he got picked. Since KOC is way better than me at judging potential talent, I would guess that they felt the Jimmer could be coached into something special. Fer instance, D-will did not necessarily blow me away his rookie season, (though he did shine a bit brighter than Mr. Kanter's), but he sure as hell came on strong in years 2 and 3. End of the day they aren't going to let Jimmer go for a price where most teams can develop him from the 3rd string PG slot.

Have you watched him this summer? His D is not that bad. I mean, he's no stopper, and he'll never intimidate anybody, but he does a nice job of staying in front of guys and he does a pretty good job of being in position to help on the perimeter. He's easily as good a defender as Nash ever was. You're right though, he'll never be an instinctive passer like Kidd or Nash. Then again, neither will 90% of the PG's in the NBA.

I agree with both points, to me he can fall into the Adam Morrison situation or he can gain his confidence back under the right system and do what he does well, shoot and score the ball. Perhaps develop some decent passing skills and a learn to be a good defender. That's a good nba career for him.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 1:55 am

I just think Jimmer won't make a difference as a pg in the league. Believe me I want him to make a big splash.... good looking white boy from a local school that's (apparently) sqeaky clean in his personal life becomes a great addition to, say, the Heat- where he doesn't have to play much defense but just drain threes.... But it's just not going to happen.

I see your argument that as a 3rd stringer he'd be a decent choice for the Jazz instead of Watson since Watson will be gone in a yr or two, but, as said, Watson can help the Jazz win a few games now. If a pg goes down I'd much rather have Watson than someone I think can be easily replaced. Jimmer just isn't cut out for anything great.... Like we dicussed in the other thread on him... He's a Steve Kerr. IF (big if) he can get traded to the Heat, gain the confidence of the Brass and their stars, and start mowing down threes consistently, he MIGHT prolong his career for a few years. However, the defense aspect just looms like a mother-in-law waiting for you to be imperfect, meaning, there's a ton of guys that are quicker, and bigger, that can provide what Jimmer can manage and still not be a liability on defense.

Hate to say it but Jimmers days are limited in the NBA... and yes, I trust KOCs judgement better than mine... Wonder if KOC has the same thoughts of Jimmer after his first yr? I'm just glad we have Burks..... so much more potential in Burks; he can go to the rim, draw fouls, improve his threes, and alter shots or block them at the rim.

RIP JIMMER
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 2:58 pm

aliveandkickin wrote:
I just think Jimmer won't make a difference as a pg in the league. Believe me I want him to make a big splash.... good looking white boy from a local school that's (apparently) sqeaky clean in his personal life becomes a great addition to, say, the Heat- where he doesn't have to play much defense but just drain threes.... But it's just not going to happen.

I see your argument that as a 3rd stringer he'd be a decent choice for the Jazz instead of Watson since Watson will be gone in a yr or two, but, as said, Watson can help the Jazz win a few games now. If a pg goes down I'd much rather have Watson than someone I think can be easily replaced. Jimmer just isn't cut out for anything great.... Like we dicussed in the other thread on him... He's a Steve Kerr. IF (big if) he can get traded to the Heat, gain the confidence of the Brass and their stars, and start mowing down threes consistently, he MIGHT prolong his career for a few years. However, the defense aspect just looms like a mother-in-law waiting for you to be imperfect, meaning, there's a ton of guys that are quicker, and bigger, that can provide what Jimmer can manage and still not be a liability on defense.

Hate to say it but Jimmers days are limited in the NBA... and yes, I trust KOCs judgement better than mine... Wonder if KOC has the same thoughts of Jimmer after his first yr? I'm just glad we have Burks..... so much more potential in Burks; he can go to the rim, draw fouls, improve his threes, and alter shots or block them at the rim.

RIP JIMMER

Good looking Zero???? Hahahaaaa...

But yea, I agree with your sentiments exactly zero. If Jimmer was able to get on a team where he is the last option on offense, and has these monster athletes and defenders surrounding him, then yea, I think he could be successful. But other than that, he's just not talented enough, or big enough to do it on his own in this league. And this isn't a Paul Millsap undersized thing here. It just doesn't really work with him.

I think the best evidence of him and what his abilities are, unfortunately, was his last game, against big time talent in Florida: he scored 32 points, but was 3 of 15 on 3ptrs and 11 of 29 for the game. When it matters, and when he isnt playing against Hawaii or Air Force, he may not be good enough. I mean, BYU was built to showcase Jimmer. It was his offense and his team, and against better competition, he falters.
Now, this isn't even just the SEC, but it's the NBA, even better competition.

I agree, Jimmer needs to find a way to shoot for a Steve Kerr solid career, instead of a lottery pick scoring force ala Jamal Crawford even.

PS: yet ANOTHER reason to keep Earl Watson. You know where he spent the last few weeks rehabbing and working out??? Summer League, on the court and bench with the Jazz SL team. Who does that!!!??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you take Jimmer?   Would you take Jimmer? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Would you take Jimmer?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3