Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Gasol for Millsap? Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gasol for Millsap?

Go down 
+9
The Voice of Reason
MTJazz
zero24gravity
Richardale
TheMagnus
outerspacefan
Calgary Jazz
Romoholic
Saint Louis
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Saint Louis
Starter

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:14 am

I was just on a Houston/Lakers gameday blog, following that game-- and they were talking about a possible trade between LA and Utah involving Pao Gasol and Millsap. When I checked on this forum, nobody was talking about it. Anyone know anything about this trade?

I don't think it would help either team. I think Gasol and Paul are both very good players, but I don't see how us having Gasol would change our situation (or, for that matter, the Lakers having Paul wouldn't change much for them). The only thing I can think of that might make sense is that the Lakers are looking to trade "trade-bait" for a different kind of "trade-bait."

On a side note: I was surprised at how many Houston fans hate the Jazz! The Houston fans were badmouthing the Jazz as if we were the root of all of Houston's problems. It was as if they hated us as much as we hate the Lakers! I've been a Jazz fan for almost 30 years, and I've never considered Houston one of our top-most rivals. What's up with that?
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:45 am

Saint Louis wrote:
I was just on a Houston/Lakers gameday blog, following that game-- and they were talking about a possible trade between LA and Utah involving Pao Gasol and Millsap. When I checked on this forum, nobody was talking about it. Anyone know anything about this trade?

I don't think it would help either team. I think Gasol and Paul are both very good players, but I don't see how us having Gasol would change our situation (or, for that matter, the Lakers having Paul wouldn't change much for them). The only thing I can think of that might make sense is that the Lakers are looking to trade "trade-bait" for a different kind of "trade-bait."

On a side note: I was surprised at how many Houston fans hate the Jazz! The Houston fans were badmouthing the Jazz as if we were the root of all of Houston's problems. It was as if they hated us as much as we hate the Lakers! I've been a Jazz fan for almost 30 years, and I've never considered Houston one of our top-most rivals. What's up with that?

Gasol 2 years ago yes, Gasol now, no fn way.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Calgary Jazz
Starter

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 am

Saint Louis wrote:
I've been a Jazz fan for almost 30 years, and I've never considered Houston one of our top-most rivals. What's up with that?

1997, 1998, 2007, 2008. Last 4 times those teams met in playoffs Jazz kicked their but. easy to see why they do not like us.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Calgary Jazz wrote:
Saint Louis wrote:
I've been a Jazz fan for almost 30 years, and I've never considered Houston one of our top-most rivals. What's up with that?

1997, 1998, 2007, 2008. Last 4 times those teams met in playoffs Jazz kicked their but. easy to see why they do not like us.

That makes sense. I remember Stockton hitting the 3 that sent us to our first Championship Series-- but, the other knockouts seem pretty tame.

What really surprised me was that this was a Houston fansite, and I was being very pro-Houston (I have Lin on all my fantasy teams)-- but, every time I badmouthed the Lakers, people would reply about how evil, dirty, and rotten the Jazz were! (I did let them know I was a Jazz fan, so, maybe that had something to do with their responses.) I mentioned the Memphis/LA trade that brought Pao Gasol to the Lakers (and screwed both The Jazz and Houston) and the Houston fans couldn't have cared less. I thought everyone other than a Laker fan in the West HATES the Lakers-- but, apparently not. I always considered the Lakers, Denver, and Portland as our main rivals. Should I adjust that to put Houston as a top rival?

Oh, but back to the main topic of this thread: anyone hear any rumors about a Pao/Millsap trade?
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

I'd probably do it if I'd get the sense that no great player would be available this offseason. Gasol 's got only one year left aftter this season IIRIC.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Didn't hear about it, but it doesn't make much sense to me, and the math doesn't work out anyways, the Jazz would have to throw in Bell and Watson to make it work.

I'd rather do it for Jefferson anyways, straight up, but that ain't happening either.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Didn't hear about it, but it doesn't make much sense to me, and the math doesn't work out anyways, the Jazz would have to throw in Bell and Watson to make it work.

I'd rather do it for Jefferson anyways, straight up, but that ain't happening either.

I bet the lakers would do that trade. Al was the stud in tonights game.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Richardale wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

In the second half he most definitely was, but 50 points in the paint in the first half is just unacceptable, and 90% of that was on Millsap and Jefferson.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 11:44 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

In the second half he most definitely was, but 50 points in the paint in the first half is just unacceptable, and 90% of that was on Millsap and Jefferson.

The thing is, there is pretty much nobody in the league that can stop Al when he is on. He is really the only guy we have that you know you can go to when you need a bucket. I always have loved Milsap, but I'm on the side now that if you have to keep one, you keep Al. He is a better scorer and just as good of a rebounder. Yeah we all know about the defense, but that can be minimized by surrounding him with good defenders like Favors and Kanter.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 8:52 am

We really have to stop looking at Paul with the huge fan glasses. We like kin very much, but he's not nearly as dependable as Jefferson. Jefferson's always slow to start and a great finisher. Millsap will hand you some wins and some memorable ones probably, but he will never be the dependable guy you need. Right now we're watching one of the typical Millsap's lapses... they can last 3 or 4 games, or 10-15 games... an that will cost you. Rewind and watch Paul's career.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 am

outerspacefan wrote:
We really have to stop looking at Paul with the huge fan glasses. We like kin very much, but he's not nearly as dependable as Jefferson. Jefferson's always slow to start and a great finisher. Millsap will hand you some wins and some memorable ones probably, but he will never be the dependable guy you need. Right now we're watching one of the typical Millsap's lapses... they can last 3 or 4 games, or 10-15 games... an that will cost you. Rewind and watch Paul's career.

I couldn't disagree with you more on that, and frankly don't know what you are even taking about. Seriously, what you just said makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:49 am

Romoholic wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

The thing is, there is pretty much nobody in the league that can stop Al when he is on. He is really the only guy we have that you know you can go to when you need a bucket. I always have loved Milsap, but I'm on the side now that if you have to keep one, you keep Al. He is a better scorer and just as good of a rebounder. Yeah we all know about the defense, but that can be minimized by surrounding him with good defenders like Favors and Kanter.

"pretty much nobody in the league that can stop Al when he is on" - correct! BUT....

... his defense has really regressed so far this year. At least 3-4 times a game he has someone just run passed him as if he doesn't even know he's there. That's not a foot speed thing, that's a "ain't got a clue" thing. I like Al, he seems like a good guy & has sick post moves when he makes a strong, quick move, and he doesn't stand there with the ball for ten seconds, ruining any chance o the rest of the team being invloved. I'm just not sure that he is the guy I want leading the Jazz. Kanter still has a chance to be a go-to scorer, Burks (who was my other hope) has apparently been put into the dog-house, so (without trying to sound like I'm giving up on the team) something major needs to be done.

The current squad will finish under .500 IMO. I think they have to look at major moves, whether that be through trades or through major line-up changes. An injury-prone shoot-first PG (Mo), an undersized SG that doesn't play good defense, but shoots well (Foye), a SF that is either 100% on or off (Marv), a PF who looks checked out (Sap) & a center who hasn't been great on O & has been bad on D (Al), isn't going to get it done.

I said this last year & I'm going down the same path this year .... I'd rather get these young guys a bunch of time, even if it means losing a couple more games (which I don't think would happen), than watch a group of vets who simply aren't getting it done, playing uninspired, .500 basketball.

The Nuggets win was nice, I like the fire they showed for the last 18 minutes & hope that carries over to future games, but it's a 48 minute game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 am

Romoholic wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Other than the fact that jeffersons offensive efficacy is a myth I can see where you are coming from. I guess if you want to continue to see the jazz continue to run the wildly entertaining and barely league average "give the ball to jefferson and stand around" offense then he's definitely your guy.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 12:15 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Other than the fact that jeffersons offensive efficacy is a myth I can see where you are coming from. I guess if you want to continue to see the jazz continue to run the wildly entertaining and barely league average "give the ball to jefferson and stand around" offense then he's definitely your guy.

WINNER! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Really don't understand why so much talk on defense. Jefferson's not a very good defender, and Millsap has regressed his D since his first season just as much as he has bettered his inconsistent offense. Paul has been a mediocre defender for a looooooong time now.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 12:53 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you more on that, and frankly don't know what you are even taking about. Seriously, what you just said makes no sense.

It's ok Mag. We just disagree.

My senses tell me that if the Jazz want to keep one of them, then Al is the better, more dependable option.

What I'm talking about is that Millsap has had long lapses in his career, every season, where he cannot play decent basketball. And IMHO it has to do with him being undersized and the Jazz constantly and unfairly asking him for too much.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 2:22 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

My senses tell me that if the Jazz want to keep one of them, then Al is the better, more dependable option.

What I'm talking about is that Millsap has had long lapses in his career, every season, where he cannot play decent basketball. And IMHO it has to do with him being undersized and the Jazz constantly and unfairly asking him for too much.

Nah, Paul isn't undersized suddenly for 3-4 or 15 games of being checked out, its his head game that is undersized sometimes. Notice on nights when he isn't scoring he also isn't rebounding, getting steals and assists? We all know what Paul can do when he is fully on - borderline All-Star. The borderline is his inconsistency which I'm sorry to report appears to be in full swing early in the season. Matter of fact, he isn't even playing borderline All-Star ball this year, he is playing really average. When a guy swoons and stays there long (like Gordo right now) they really hurt the team because the coaches are still going to let them try to "play their way out of it". We've seen a lot of ineffective minutes given to a bunch of veteran Jazz players this season with that concept in mind, meanwhile young talent is on the bench not even getting a freaking sniff of the floor to show what they can bring. Paul, if he doesn't get back on his game and stay on it, is odd man out.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Well beyond my disagreement about your instincts, your statement about milsaps "lapses" is either just false or only true in the same way the statement "outerspacefan has had some tough times in his life" is true, because it applies almost universally to every one.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 4:42 pm

MTJazz wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Nah, Paul isn't undersized suddenly for 3-4 or 15 games of being checked out, its his head game that is undersized sometimes. Notice on nights when he isn't scoring he also isn't rebounding, getting steals and assists? We all know what Paul can do when he is fully on - borderline All-Star. The borderline is his inconsistency which I'm sorry to report appears to be in full swing early in the season. Matter of fact, he isn't even playing borderline All-Star ball this year, he is playing really average. When a guy swoons and stays there long (like Gordo right now) they really hurt the team because the coaches are still going to let them try to "play their way out of it". We've seen a lot of ineffective minutes given to a bunch of veteran Jazz players this season with that concept in mind, meanwhile young talent is on the bench not even getting a freaking sniff of the floor to show what they can bring. Paul, if he doesn't get back on his game and stay on it, is odd man out.

seriously? Where are you guys coming up with this crap? how many years does millsap have to perform, consistently, before you stop following every irrelevant slump with a bunch of idiotic, AND COMPLETELY BASELESS, drivel about inconsistency and being "undersized"?

5....7....10?
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 5:02 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

seriously? Where are you guys coming up with this crap? how many years does millsap have to perform, consistently, before you stop following every irrelevant slump with a bunch of idiotic, AND COMPLETELY BASELESS, drivel about inconsistency and being "undersized"?

5....7....10?

Mags, know idiocy or disrespect intended. Just observing that your Sap crush is rivaling CJ's JV love affair. No one is saying Paul is crap or a crap player. We are saying he is not playing that well lately and he has a history of that. He is not a "go to" player, he is a good cog in the machine. Either Sap or Al is gone after this season or both, therefore discussion of Paul's performance THIS YEAR and past year's is fair dinkum conversation on a fairly quiet board
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 6:57 pm

MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

5....7....10?

Mags, know idiocy or disrespect intended. Just observing that your Sap crush is rivaling CJ's JV love affair. No one is saying Paul is crap or a crap player. We are saying he is not playing that well lately and he has a history of that. He is not a "go to" player, he is a good cog in the machine. Either Sap or Al is gone after this season or both, therefore discussion of Paul's performance THIS YEAR and past year's is fair dinkum conversation on a fairly quiet board

My thoughts exactly, but someone is going to pay him like a top ten player.
I hate having to preface every thing I say about Milsap by saying how much I love him as a player. The fact is I only have two jerseys right now one is Milsap and the other is Gordo.

Milsap is a great player, but you CAN"T build a team around him. He could be a nice piece to put a real contender over the edge, but he isn't the type of player to build a team around. I'm not saying Al is, but he is closer to that player than Milsap is. In a perfect world we would keep Al, Milsap, Favors and Kanter, but that isn't going to happen. So Milsap is the odd man out. Mainly because he is such a good player and outside of Favors, has the most trade value on the team.

He has been a great warrior for us, but he has been asked to do a lot of things that don't suit his game. He is going to be much better if he has a pass first PG like Deron. He isn't great at creating his own shot, but is great around the basket, but we don't really have a PG that can get him the ball down low on a consistent basis.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 7:00 pm

MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

5....7....10?

It's quiet, but it's ours Very Happy It takes a lot of time to create a succesfull board, sometimes years, but we have a great base here and I consider most of you guys my friends, even though I have never met most of you! cheers
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 7:59 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Well beyond my disagreement about your instincts, your statement about milsaps "lapses" is either just false or only true in the same way the statement "outerspacefan has had some tough times in his life" is true, because it applies almost universally to every one.

mmm... not sure about such a statement... but if you feel good about it then be my guest Wink

Last edited by outerspacefan on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
seriously? Where are you guys coming up with this crap?...

scratch

Last edited by outerspacefan on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 8:13 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Mags....your Sap crush is rivaling CJ's JV love affair...
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gasol for Millsap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gasol for Millsap?   Gasol for Millsap? Empty

Back to top Go down

Gasol for Millsap?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next