Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Millsap wants to stay in Utah Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Millsap wants to stay in Utah

Go down 
+12
Jazz Dog
aliveandkickin
Trollificus
zero24gravity
rorybreaker
outerspacefan
therawns
thesob
dongibby
Mutangclan
MTJazz
TheMagnus
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Millsap wants to stay in Utah Empty
PostSubject: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 10:44 am

Millsap wants a contract extension this summer...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54350931-62/millsap-extension-jazz-agency.html.csp

should he get it? What do you think he's worth?

I personally would like to see the Jazz extend him, I love Millsap, I think he has proven himself beyond a reasonable doubt, and I'd like to see him retire a Jazz man. The Jazz have plenty of other trade assets, and I don't think Millsap would be less attractive as a trade option if he got a reasonable long-tearm deal.

The new CBA gives incumbent teams a huge advantage of being able to add an extra year. Lets say the going rate for a PF of his calliber is about 10 Mil a year (more on this in a second), other teams would be limited to offering him a 4 year deal. So in total dollars his next contract, if he didn't sign with the Jazz, would be around $40 Million. The Jazz could offer Millsap more guaranteed money over more years and actually pay him less per year.

For example, the Jazz could offer Millsap a basic extension on his current salary that is $8-$9 Mil a year for 4 years and then add a team option 5th year that is partially guaranteed.

The NBA has a glut of good PF's right now, so much so that many of them end up playing C. That helps to keep the market price down for strict PF's like Millsap, but Millsap isn't a good PF, he's a great one. If you look at guys like him around the league you quickly find a lot of easy comparisons; David West - 10 Mil/year, David Lee - 13 Mil/year, Andrea Bargnani - 10 Mil/year, Carlos Boozer 15 Mil/year.

There are two things I think all of those players have in common, they are all overpaid, and Millsap is better than all of them. If the Jazz can lock him up for less than 10 Mil a year I hope that they do it, I really really do.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Right on with that analysis. Cannot fathom the Jazz doing other than that - and you are right, with the pending caps no one is going to be overpaying a PF anytime in the near future. Great time to lock him and his veteran game up to help grow the pups into men.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 10:03 am

I think this is probably a win win for both Utah and Paul if he's resigned at around 9-10m per season. David Lee is overpaid, I'd say Bargnani though is just right and would put he and Paul as equals, just completely different players. Im sure Paul gets extended at around 10m which is fair and could still be traded if need be. I dont think Paul will be excited nor agreeable for anything less than 10m per when he looks at what all those types of PFs are making. If Utah offers something around 5yrs/49m I think he jumps. If they low ball, he'll be seeing what the market will offer.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:56 am

The Jazz should get this done as fast as they can and get it out of the way so it won't become an issue down the road during the season, I would like to see Milsap be a part of this team for many years to come. Milsap has turned himself into a very nice player with hard work and his persistence he has added different aspects to his game and is a well rounded player on both ends of the court, this is a guy that the Jazz needs to resign no question about it.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 12:09 pm

dongibby wrote:
The Jazz should get this done as fast as they can and get it out of the way so it won't become an issue down the road during the season, I would like to see Milsap be a part of this team for many years to come. Milsap has turned himself into a very nice player with hard work and his persistence he has added different aspects to his game and is a well rounded player on both ends of the court, this is a guy that the Jazz needs to resign no question about it.

More importantly is he is a great running mate/balance for Favors and even Kanter.
Back to top Go down
thesob
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 pm

The Jazz said that it was worth it to lose a first round selection in this years draft to gain the playoff experience. For what they lost, they had better keep that experience in Utah.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:32 am

It all depends upon their plans with jefferson. I think one thing that got utah in trouble with ak47 was they paid him like the main man, then got okur boozer and dwill, and he got lost. If Millsap is in your plans to start okay, i see a 4 year 36 mil deal in the works.

If you see favors and jefferson as the future starters, then im very hesitant. guards can play for longer periods of time without getting as tired as bigs. Odom averaged 32 minutes a game in LA. That really is the max for a player coming off the bench. If Millsap is the future 6th man like he was with the boozer/okur combo, i see closer to 28 minutes, and 10 mil for 28 minutes is expensive.

I see the mo williams trade as a pretty easy decision. The Jazz will not announce their plans with millsap directly, but really will with their decision on extending him and for how much.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Great article on Paul and what he's worth, what he excels and doesn't excel at. Has all sorts of numbers stats for Magnus types, and dumbed down basics for Mutang types:

http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/7/5/3137491/why-the-jazz-should-sign-paul-millsap-to-a-10-million-per-year#storyjump
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:34 am

I think Jazz have to evaluate Millsap in light of Favors developement... really don't think they should commit right now.... just MHO... may be we will need a good backup and not a good starter on the bench...
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:53 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
I think Jazz have to evaluate Millsap in light of Favors developement... really don't think they should commit right now.... just MHO... may be we will need a good backup and not a good starter on the bench...

I don't.

Granted, the Jazz don't have to, but they would be stupid to lose both Jefferson and Millsap, and if they don't act now they very well could lose both. Favors can play C as well, or better, as PF. So I don't think his development really matters as much as the question of who you want to keep, Jefferson and/or Millsap.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Great article on Paul and what he's worth, what he excels and doesn't excel at. Has all sorts of numbers stats for Magnus types, and dumbed down basics for Mutang types:

http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/7/5/3137491/why-the-jazz-should-sign-paul-millsap-to-a-10-million-per-year#storyjump

Great article, thanks for the link!
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:59 am

I really like Millsap but the question is how much will he cost and what role is he willing to have on the team.
The Jazz need four bigs (and Evans) Favors is one, Kanter is another Big Al and Millsap sounds right on paper but how much will Big Al want and for how long? It would be great to know this now so the Jazz can do something through a trade between now adnd the time contracts are due. This will be tricky for KOC, if Big Al could stick around for a smaller contract his style of play would fit better shuffling between Kanter and Favors.
I would definately like to have Millsap as long as he doesn't cost more than he is worth. So in the end I'd be very careful one way or the other if I were KOC BUT, if someone offers you something to good to refuse, he better jump on it.
Tough call and I'm sure whatever happens it will make somebody pissed.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 am

rorybreaker wrote:
I really like Millsap but the question is how much will he cost and what role is he willing to have on the team.
The Jazz need four bigs (and Evans) Favors is one, Kanter is another Big Al and Millsap sounds right on paper but how much will Big Al want and for how long? It would be great to know this now so the Jazz can do something through a trade between now adnd the time contracts are due. This will be tricky for KOC, if Big Al could stick around for a smaller contract his style of play would fit better shuffling between Kanter and Favors.
I would definately like to have Millsap as long as he doesn't cost more than he is worth. So in the end I'd be very careful one way or the other if I were KOC BUT, if someone offers you something to good to refuse, he better jump on it.
Tough call and I'm sure whatever happens it will make somebody pissed.

While I'm a big Kanter supporter, and a Fan of Favors, lets not get too ahead of ourselves. Even at his best last year Favors was not better than Millsap OR Jefferson, in fact he was at his best WITH them. And Kanter is still a project at best, definitely not ready for prime time.

The role the Jazz should be looking for Millsap to play is the one he has been playing, top 10/borderline-all-star starting PF. And he's worth every dime of 10 Million a year, so if the Jazz could get him for less than than they should jump on it.

As far as trades go, I think with the additions of the Williams' the Jazz needs are a lot less specific. If they trade one of the bigs they will have to sign or trade for another to take their place, if they bring in a starting quality wing in trade for a big then one of the young guys (likely Burks) will get squeezed out of the rotation.

Honestly, I'm not all that convinced that the Jazz shouldn't try to keep both Millsap and Jefferson, they've got the cap room. Kanter and Burks aren't due for a new contract for 3 years, Hayward and Favors for two, that's more than enough time to trade them if Favors and Kanter earn their spots, and if they don't then they have the option of letting the young guys go.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:01 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

While I'm a big Kanter supporter, and a Fan of Favors, lets not get too ahead of ourselves. Even at his best last year Favors was not better than Millsap OR Jefferson, in fact he was at his best WITH them. And Kanter is still a project at best, definitely not ready for prime time.

The role the Jazz should be looking for Millsap to play is the one he has been playing, top 10/borderline-all-star starting PF. And he's worth every dime of 10 Million a year, so if the Jazz could get him for less than than they should jump on it.

As far as trades go, I think with the additions of the Williams' the Jazz needs are a lot less specific. If they trade one of the bigs they will have to sign or trade for another to take their place, if they bring in a starting quality wing in trade for a big then one of the young guys (likely Burks) will get squeezed out of the rotation.

Honestly, I'm not all that convinced that the Jazz shouldn't try to keep both Millsap and Jefferson, they've got the cap room. Kanter and Burks aren't due for a new contract for 3 years, Hayward and Favors for two, that's more than enough time to trade them if Favors and Kanter earn their spots, and if they don't then they have the option of letting the young guys go.

While I understand your point and also think that keeping Sap and Al is best for winning now, I worry about the long term effects of not letting Favors start, both on his development as a payer and on his mind. We have to hope tht he develops into a star, but if he's upset with the franchise for not giving him the opportunties that he deserves, then he can walk in two short years. Who's more likely to lead the Jazz to the promise land? Our beloved, but topped out Millsap, or the immense potential of Favors?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:23 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

While I understand your point and also think that keeping Sap and Al is best for winning now, I worry about the long term effects of not letting Favors start, both on his development as a payer and on his mind. We have to hope tht he develops into a star, but if he's upset with the franchise for not giving him the opportunties that he deserves, then he can walk in two short years. Who's more likely to lead the Jazz to the promise land? Our beloved, but topped out Millsap, or the immense potential of Favors?

Two problems I see with that argument. First off Favors can't just take an offer and walk away, he'll be a restricted FA and the Jazz will have his rights whether he likes it or not. Second I don't think this is a either/or situation, and I don't understand why people are acting like it is. There's more than enough minutes for three bigs to play 30+ a game, Millsap can play (or even start) at SF, and Favors can play (or start) at C, so why are we acting like Favors and Millsap are occupying the same space?

The Jazz have time to get this stuff done, heck they can wait until after the trade deadline to make a decision on whether or not to extend these guys. But if you want to go down the "bad for his attitude and his mind" path, how much of a slap in the face is it if Millsap says he wants to be a Jazz man for life and all he wants is a reasonable contract and KOC says "ya, that's great, but we're going to wait a couple months and try and trade you first, if that doesn't work out then sure, we can talk about it."

I can tell you how I'd respond to that.

I just don't see the risk unless Millsap is asking for a ridiculous price, but the rumors are that he's looking for 10 Mil a year range. He's easily worth that, to us or somebody else, and we have the cap flexibility so I don't really see what the problem is with doing a deal now.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:06 pm

thesob wrote:
The Jazz said that it was worth it to lose a first round selection in this years draft to gain the playoff experience. For what they lost, they had better keep that experience in Utah.

This was a very good point, and one that should not be overlooked.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

Man, I jumped to see who posted this and insulted my bwoy Mutang...shoulda known.

Also, gotta give that writer credit:
"As you may know, one extremely important factor in winning basketball games is scoring more than the other team."

At least for pointing out where stat geeks sometimes get lost.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 7:56 pm

If he uses David Lee as the barameter for a deal, then no thanks. David West? Maybe. (2 year 20 mil). Im offering him about 8 mil per. Someone correct me if im wrong, but I think, Utah is the only team that can offer him a 5 year deal. He is 27 years old now. Id offer him 37-38 mil for 5 years, with a PO in the final one.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:55 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Two problems I see with that argument. First off Favors can't just take an offer and walk away, he'll be a restricted FA and the Jazz will have his rights whether he likes it or not. Second I don't think this is a either/or situation, and I don't understand why people are acting like it is. There's more than enough minutes for three bigs to play 30+ a game, Millsap can play (or even start) at SF, and Favors can play (or start) at C, so why are we acting like Favors and Millsap are occupying the same space?

The Jazz have time to get this stuff done, heck they can wait until after the trade deadline to make a decision on whether or not to extend these guys. But if you want to go down the "bad for his attitude and his mind" path, how much of a slap in the face is it if Millsap says he wants to be a Jazz man for life and all he wants is a reasonable contract and KOC says "ya, that's great, but we're going to wait a couple months and try and trade you first, if that doesn't work out then sure, we can talk about it."

I can tell you how I'd respond to that.

I just don't see the risk unless Millsap is asking for a ridiculous price, but the rumors are that he's looking for 10 Mil a year range. He's easily worth that, to us or somebody else, and we have the cap flexibility so I don't really see what the problem is with doing a deal now.

I hear you magnus. If everyone is happy for another year or two having the three bigs plus Kanter in the rotation then that is fantastic. My major reservation is that our youg guys, especially Favors, don't reach their potential just so the team can keep a couple "nice guys that are good players and want to be in Utah". IMO Paul and Al will not win a championship as the Jazz core players. Favors has the potential (but far from a guarantee) to turn into a special player. I'd rather take the gamble. Doesn't mean that I'm not a big fan of our two starters though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:03 pm

therawns wrote:
If he uses David Lee as the barameter for a deal, then no thanks. David West? Maybe. (2 year 20 mil). Im offering him about 8 mil per. Someone correct me if im wrong, but I think, Utah is the only team that can offer him a 5 year deal. He is 27 years old now. Id offer him 37-38 mil for 5 years, with a PO in the final one.

Utah is the only team that can offer him a 5 year per the new CBA. $37-38 Mil probably wouldn't get it done though, that would be a crazy good deal for a player of Millsaps age and caliber.

Millsap and Jefferson are so much more than just nice players, they are two of the best at their position in the NBA, Favors and Kanter will be LUCKY if they EVER reach the level of play of Jefferson and Millsap. And like I said before, there are more than enough minutes to go around for all four of them.

The math on your deal doesn't really work out anyways, 5 years at $8 Mil a year is $40 Mil. Giving him a player option in year 5 would probably be attractive to Millsap (or rather, his agent), and a 5 year $40 Mil deal would be a steal, but if I'm the GM I'd rather pay him a little more yearly and have a non-guaranteed team option in year 5 than a little less yearly with a fully guaranteed player option in year 5.

I mean lets take a look around the league this summer and see what kind of deals are getting handed out...

Goran Dragic - 26 years old - 1 good year - 4 years/34 Million (8.5 Mil a year)

Nic Batum - 23 years old - no years better than Millsaps worst - 4 years/45 Million (11+ Mil/year)

Kevin Garnett - 36 years old - 36 years old AND getting slower every year - 3 years/36 Million (12 Mil/year)

Brandon Bass - 27 years old - not even close to as good as Millsap - 3 years/20 Million (6.7 Mil/year)

Eric Gordon - 23 years old - similar positional category to Millsap, borderline all-star, overrated - 4 years/$58 Million (14+ Mil/year)

Landry Fields - 24 years old - role player - 3 years/$20 Million (6.7 Mil/year)

George Hill - 26 years old - good but not great combo guard - 5 years/$40 Million(8 Mil/year)

Omar Asik - 26 years old - 7 foot tall backup C (could probably start for about 1/3 of the teams in the NBA) - 3 years/$25 Million (8.3 Mil/year)

So...ya...I'm thinking $9-$10 Million a year sounds pretty reasonable for a 27 year old borderline all-star, top 10 in the NBA, PF.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:28 pm

@Magnus: Please feel free to call people out on indulging in "grass is greener" wishful thinking and I'll back you.

Not that I don't understand it when people do it. I see the logic:

a) a championship is the goal
b) our current players are not the stars to get us a championship
c) our current players must then be dumped for us to win a championship.

Makes sense, but...but...making moves based on the PERCEIVED inadequacy of our current players against the HOPED FOR superiority of the new players is kind of a fools' game. It can lead to a merry-go-round roster, bad teams, and high draft picks. Good players win games. If you have good players...KEEP THEM, build around them, win as many games as you can and let the chips (and "'chips") fall where they may.

I've already written about the odds being against the Jazz EVER winning a title. They are long. The NBA is not a level playing field. We are NOT a team that is an attractive destination for top free agent "stars", and never will be. And the odds of gaining top lottery picks who will lead a team to contention (even if we were the worst team in the league 3 years in a row) are too slim to make up for all that losing AFAIC.

RIGHT NOW we have a #2, two #3s, a #9 and a #12 picks on the roster. It will never get better than this folks (unless you expect us to find top-2 picks at #14 and 16 again). Let's build the best team we can, and forget assessing players on whether they "can take us to a championship". We will not, as other teams have done, win it all with two or three superstars, because we will never obtain those superstars. The only way we will ever win, or have a chance to win, is with a roster full of very good, Jazz-type players who might, just might, make a dark horse, long-shot, against-all-odds type run for a couple of years.

Let's just hope it's THIS team, in a year or two.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:57 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
therawns wrote:

Utah is the only team that can offer him a 5 year per the new CBA. $37-38 Mil probably wouldn't get it done though, that would be a crazy good deal for a player of Millsaps age and caliber.

Millsap and Jefferson are so much more than just nice players, they are two of the best at their position in the NBA, Favors and Kanter will be LUCKY if they EVER reach the level of play of Jefferson and Millsap. And like I said before, there are more than enough minutes to go around for all four of them.

The math on your deal doesn't really work out anyways, 5 years at $8 Mil a year is $40 Mil. Giving him a player option in year 5 would probably be attractive to Millsap (or rather, his agent), and a 5 year $40 Mil deal would be a steal, but if I'm the GM I'd rather pay him a little more yearly and have a non-guaranteed team option in year 5 than a little less yearly with a fully guaranteed player option in year 5.

I mean lets take a look around the league this summer and see what kind of deals are getting handed out...

Goran Dragic - 26 years old - 1 good year - 4 years/34 Million (8.5 Mil a year)

Nic Batum - 23 years old - no years better than Millsaps worst - 4 years/45 Million (11+ Mil/year)

Kevin Garnett - 36 years old - 36 years old AND getting slower every year - 3 years/36 Million (12 Mil/year)

Brandon Bass - 27 years old - not even close to as good as Millsap - 3 years/20 Million (6.7 Mil/year)

Eric Gordon - 23 years old - similar positional category to Millsap, borderline all-star, overrated - 4 years/$58 Million (14+ Mil/year)

Landry Fields - 24 years old - role player - 3 years/$20 Million (6.7 Mil/year)

George Hill - 26 years old - good but not great combo guard - 5 years/$40 Million(8 Mil/year)

Omar Asik - 26 years old - 7 foot tall backup C (could probably start for about 1/3 of the teams in the NBA) - 3 years/$25 Million (8.3 Mil/year)

So...ya...I'm thinking $9-$10 Million a year sounds pretty reasonable for a 27 year old borderline all-star, top 10 in the NBA, PF.

I agree that a bunch of these players signing right now seem rediculous. (Im doing an article on Crank Up The Heat website about this.) All of these deals + Nash to LA and LA having a 70 mil payroll with 5 guys next year, not counting bynum make me scream, what was the lockout for?

I live in Indy, and i laughed at the Hill deal. I was thinking about 5 mil per was his market value. Boston is obviously overpaying their own players, but they have the bird rights to these players. Still wonder who they were bidding against. (Also jeff green for 10 mil per?)

I have a soft spot for bigs. I really like Asek, but wow. He will be very good defensively, but the fact he cant shoot 50% from the free throw line tells me it will be very tough for him to develop any kind of offensive game. It shows he has no touch.

I would say Gordon is close to worth it, if he was not made of glass. (I am bias here, as my high school played against him, so ive seen him up close a few times in his younger years.)

If you are basing if Millsap is worth 10 mil compared to the other deals, okay, I agree. However, there have been a number of deals including the ones you listed, where I am like, what the heck? In 2 years, these will be players with "poisonous contracts."

Let me also say that I dont think 10 mil per would be awful, slightly overpaid, but I can see it.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Back to Millsap.

The valuation of Paul Millsap is an such an intriguing question because there are so many valid arguments on both sides...or rather, all along the spectrum of evaluation. So valid that the arguments ultimately reveal more about what people value, how they view the team, and the league, and the ultimate goals for each...the stats say one thing, the playoff matchups say something else, the effect of valuing him A or A+1 on other players, financial flexibility, position flexibility, "good" vs "elite", how important is character?, does character improve the team, or at least rub off on younger players? and on and on...

I can't help but think that this, all true:

"In terms of toughness, effort, integrity, hard work, determination, improvement, responsibility, and success, he's been everything the Jazz could have ever asked for."

...has an effect on how the other players go about their business, and it's a good effect for team success.

I've already devoted too much time to this question, believe me. And I have to come down on the "Yes, extend him for $10 Mill per." side. This is because the above goody-goody crap doesn't mean I'm willing to lose with good guys or anything. It's because one of the few organizational advantages the Jazz can have is getting players who are serious not only about winning, but about doing the work to earn those wins.

Other teams frequently have a clique, or a whole team full, of knuckleheads...guys who want to win, sure, but for whom attaining the NBA money and NBA lifestyle pretty much represent to fulfillment of all their lifelong aspirations. Maybe the drive isn't there in practice. Maybe the social life is a little too fun. Maybe the coaches are just nags...after all, you're already good enough to make The Show", aight? "I mean, I made SC Top 10 Highlights twice last week!" If you're already a good player ("Look at the highlights!"), what are they nagging you for? "Go here...do this...". Man, playa jus wanna go out they and THROW IT DOWN YO!

The Jazz have made this advantage work before. Millsap is part of doing it again.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 1:28 am

Howdy, being a Milsap fan, and also a realist that we'll (the Jazz) not bring a superstar into the fold (as Troll pointed out) but we'll have to create a team to compete through drafting and developing players I say........... Man, not sure if we should tie our own hands with a borderline All-Star until all options are exhausted.
Sap, agreed, won't match bucket for bucket with a LaBron or Dirk. Sap won't score at ease under the basket with a tall defender on him- but he has a well-rounded game otherwise.... at least that counts for sumthan, right?
With the contracts Magnus showed I agree that Sap is worth resigning. I also agree that signing him for five years is crazy. Signing him during the middle of this years season for four years 35-40 mill is really a great contract for him. He wants to stay he says? OK, but here's the conversation:

KOC-- we'll sign him, if he continues to produce, but in the middle of this season. He'll get an offer for 4 yrs 36 mill (9 mill a yr)

Agent-- but he wants a contract now and LOOK at these other contracts where the players are equal but paid more..

KOC-- Sap gets guaranteed money before he's a free agent. Meaning, he could get hurt during the second half of the season. If he wants what's on the table around January, he has it...... (meaning you'll have it as well Mr Agent).

Agent-- What about the fifth yr? Where's the loyalty? What's to stop us from signing with someone else?

KOC-- The loyalty just was stated by signing him for four years before the season ends- where he could get hurt otherwise. Conversely, where's his loyalty to the team when other contracts are coming up with great players that could help him win a championship?

Agent-- I dunno man. He can do better than that somewhere else (perfect poker face)

KOC-- What is important to your client? money or winning?

Agent--- Both

KOC-- Same here. The plan is; Sign Sap now for a good deal but only four yrs, downsize Favors and Haywards contracts in their first two yrs then upsize the back two years so we can keep everyone. Make sense? Everyone is happy but your guy only gets four years.... Plus we have Jefferson to resign ya know......

Agent-- er, um, I dunno, he wants his money

KOC-- you'll get your f'in money buddy, we got a deal or what? Plus he stays here where he SAYS he wants to stay.

Agent-- Ok

That's it folks. That's the negotiation.... In the meantime, shop, shop, shop Sap during the first half of the season. If we can't do better, sign him. If you think Sap will get his feelings hurt by not signing him now... tough cookies! He'll resign when, and if, the Jazz decide to do it. This is all smoke and mirrors. He brought it up now (the new contract) cuz he wants his dough. The Jazz want to wait to see how Favors develops during the first part of the season-- as well as what the heck they're going to do with Big Al... Al is just as valueable as Sap , BUT, they're not THAT valueable to sign away the Jazz's future without things playing out on the court and in trade negotiations.

I hope they wait and see who complements Favors best , or, sign them both if they're not too greedy.
Back to top Go down
Jazz Dog
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:37 am

A lot of good posts here but we are being big time homers. Sap will be resign if we want him, but it is going to be over $11 mil per year. There is no way he signs for less. IF we could do a 4 year $45 mil contract, the Jazz I believe would jump at it. Plus does Jefferson take a pay cut when he is entering his prime years. More than likely not, so do we pay Jefferson more than $15 mil per year?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Millsap wants to stay in Utah   Millsap wants to stay in Utah Empty

Back to top Go down

Millsap wants to stay in Utah
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next