Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Don't give up hope for the #47 pick Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Don't give up hope for the #47 pick

Go down 
+6
dongibby
zero24gravity
Leoverine
RookieJazz
TheMagnus
Trollificus
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

Don't give up hope for the #47 pick Empty
PostSubject: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 2:54 pm

So...the guys at SLC Dunk (a fine, but tightly-moderated, language-suitable-for-ages-5-and-up Jazz messageboard) took the time to list the last 30 years' worth of #47 picks. If you examine it, two names stand out: Mo Williams and Paul Millsap. This is speculation on my part and I'm too busy (and too lazy) to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had scored more than the other 28 players combined!!

The list is posted here, but don't waste any precious clickage, I totally stole the whole thing*, in a crude, unformatted form:
PickYear

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="800"><tr height="19"><td style="width: 82pt;" width="110">Player</td></tr></table>College<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="800"><tr height="19"><td style="width: 112pt;" width="149">Draft Team</td></tr></table>
2011. Travis LeslieGeorgiaLos Angeles Clippers.
472010. Tiny GallonOklahomaMilwaukee Bucks.

3472009.Henk Norel
Minnesota Timberwolves
.Chase Budinger
4472008.Bill WalkerKansas StateWashington Wizards.Goran Dragic
5472007.Stephane LasmeU Massachusetts AmherstGolden State Warriors.Marc Gasol, Aaron Gray
6472006.Paul MillsapLouisiana TechUtah Jazz.Leon Powe, Ryan Hollins
7472005.Bracey WrightIndianaMinnesota Timberwolves.Louis Williams, Andray Blatche, Ryan Gomes
8472004.Pape SowCalifornia State FullertonMiami Heat.
9472003.Mo WilliamsAlabamaUtah Jazz.Matt Bonner, James Jones
10472002.Chris OwensTexasMilwaukee Bucks.Matt Barnes, Darius Songaila

11472001.Antonis Fotsis
Memphis Grizzlies.Loren Woods
12472000.Josip Sesar
Seattle Super Sonics.Brian Cardinal, Jason Hart
13471999.Todd MacCullochWashingtonPhiladelphia 76ers.
14471998.Tyson WheelerRhode IslandToronto Raptors.Sean Marks
15471997.Alvin WilliamsVillanovaPortland Trail Blazers.Cedric Henderson, Predrag Drobnjak, Chris Crawford
16471996.Ron RileyArizona StateSeattle Super Sonics.Malik Rose, Jamie ******
17471995.Tyus EdneyUCLASacramento Kings.Mark Davis
18471994.Jamie WatsonSouth CarolinaUtah Jazz.Voshon Lenard
19471993.Chris WhitneyClemsonSan Antonio Spurs.Bryon Russell
20471992.Darren MorningstarPittsburghBoston Celtics.

21471991.Keith HughesRutgersHouston Rockets.Bobby Phills, Isaac Austin
22471990.Derek StrongXavierPhiladelphia 76ers.Steve Henson, Antonio Davis, Kenny Williams, Cedric Ceballos
23471989.Reggie TurnerAlabama BirminghamDenver Nuggets.Haywoode Workman
24471988.Vernon MaxwellFloridaDenver Nuggets.Tom Garrick, Morlon Wiley, Michael Williams, Steve Kerr
25471987.Tim McCalisterOklahomaLos Angeles Clippers.Brad Lohaus
Michael JacksonGeorgetownNew York Knicks.David Wingate, Jeff Hornacek
2847 1984.Ronnie WilliamsFloridaBoston Celtics.Jerome Kersey
29471983.Ken LyonsNorth TexasPhiladelphia 76ers.Kevin Williams, Craig Ehlo
30471982.Michael Wilson
MarquetteCleveland Cavaliers.Russ Schoene, Craig Hodges
Players to the right were picks 44-50 those years. Other notables taken in that range? Hornacek, for one.
Marc Gasol, Goran Dragic, Bryon Russell, Louis Williams, Jerome Kersey. So don't say "That pick ain't worth nothin'"...because that would be bad grammar.

Instead, say only "The #47 pick's value is currently undetermined." In a snooty British accent. Preferably while wearing a monocle. And jhodpurs.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Pip, Pip, old chap. Very fine analysis if I do say so myself. The Queens portion there, it is.
Back to top Go down
RookieJazz
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 6:39 pm

My favorites for #47:

- William Bufford
- Khris Middleton
- Darius Miller
- Dario Saric (high unlikely)

Any chance one of them is still there, for #47?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 6:50 pm

My favorite is Jae Crowder out of Marquette.

That kid is a baller, he's got a a 5 tool game, an NBA body, and he fills a need for the Jazz (SF/SG). Most drafts have him late second if he's drafted at all, he'd be a GREAT pick at 47.

He has all the makings of the next Wes Matthews. I think people are overlooking him because they think he's a tweener forward instead of a wing. But he's got all the skills to be a solid 2-3, he was just playing on a Marquette team where he was the third tallest guy so they needed him to play like a big.

I really, really hope the Jazz get him at 47, or if he goes undrafted that they get him to camp, because I really think he's going to be an NBA player.

Back to top Go down
Leoverine
Rookie

PostSubject: My pick is...   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Iona's PG Scott Machado. Why?

Cuze he's Brazilian. Why?

This way we would have more Jazz games and product here. And it would be cool to have a Brazilian playing for the Jazz. affraid

Well, there was Araujo, but, he doesn't count. And if anyone wants to know, he doing very bad here in Brazil...
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Here's an interesting prospect that could be available at #47..... Royce White (Iowa State)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/white-hopes-answer-questions-draft-181147589--nba.html;_ylt=Aqv7Ma5SgZtEUhjfAb.fyMy8vLYF

He's an overall talented, point-gaurd-in-an-undersized-power-forward's-body. He's even been compared to Magic Johnson. Only player in D1 to lead his team in scoring (13.4), rebounding (9.3), assists (5.0), blocks (0.9) and steals (1.2).

Seems like a very versitile player that would make the perfect bench player. Iowa State assistant coach Matt Abdelmassih said. "He's a top-10 caliber player.''

But there's a catch ...... he has an anxiety disorder that sometimes gets so bad that he can't even handle flying.

As a mid-second rounder (#47), this is the kind of guy the team can take a chance on IMO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 pm

There could be talent available at the 47th pick in this draft a few guys that I think are NBA players if still on the board at 47 are Kyle O'Quinn(http://nbadraft.net/players/kyle-oquinn) he would be the guy I would take above all of the other's, William Buford (http://nbadraft.net/players/william-buford) Scott Machado (http://nbadraft.net/players/scott-machado) this kid has talent that could be molded into the kind of PG the Jazz are looking to acquire IMO as is Tyshawn Taylor http://nbadraft.net/players/tyshawn-taylor)
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm telling you guys, Jae Crowder is the guy. If the Jazz can get him in the second round they have to do it. Draft Express has him ranked 27 but falling all the way down to 43 in the draft. WinScore models (http://wagesofwins.com/2012/06/25/2012-nba-draft-extravaganza-the-rankings/) have him ranked #2 (that same model had Millsap and Rondo rated #2 and #3 in the 2006 draft).

Every year guys like Millsap and Wesley Matthews, who do nothing but compete and produce, get passed over in the first round because they are "too small" or "not an elite athlete" or some other non-basketball related nonsense, I think Crowder could definitely be that guy this year.

Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Leoverine wrote:
Iona's PG Scott Machado. Why?

Cuze he's Brazilian. Why?

This way we would have more Jazz games and product here. And it would be cool to have a Brazilian playing for the Jazz. affraid

Well, there was Araujo, but, he doesn't count. And if anyone wants to know, he doing very bad here in Brazil...

Sorry to hear that. What was Toronto THINKING?
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Okay, that's the extent of my research. Crowder sounds good, but I can't see him lasting to 47.

Royce White probably won't either. Get the guy some meds and if he lands between Magic Johnson and Boris Diaw, that's a steal.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Wow. That was a reach for Plumlee...Yahoo had him ranked 56 or something.

So. Crowder. O'Quinn.

Crowder might be a real steal at 47. Sounds very Millsapish. Averaged 2.5 steals/game last year!! What PF does that??

If he doesn't last, O'Quinn's probably more what we need. I keep asking people to look at the Jazz roster: WE NEED BIGS. We're only crowded for minutes because 4 of our bigs are good. But that's the only 4 bigs we've got. If O'Quinn doesn't play much, that'd be a good sign, also good to have another banger on the bench.

Robbie Hummel is ranked down there somewhere too. Averaged 14/7/2/1/1 for 4 years, good 3 pt. shooter. Actually, we may already have a better version of Hummel. But he's got some basketball SKILLZ, y'know?

(okay, I admit it. I'm totally trying to get myself excited about this #47 pick. yee. haw. I guess.)
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Its not original but I like Machado there at 47, seems he could be a quality PG in the league, trying to prove himself. And I like Hummel, always need shooting.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Damnit, just missed out on Doron Lamb. Almost 50% on 3's, and on that UK team hardly had any shots. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Its not original but I like Machado there at 47, seems he could be a quality PG in the league, trying to prove himself. And I like Hummel, always need shooting.

Not a bad plan....but if we get Mo, we'll have 3 PG on contract with an option for a 4th.

What about Darius Miller?

Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Quincy Acy?
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Hah!!! Tennessee Tech!!!! Love that KOC, looking for another Millsap/Mo Williams GEM in the far reaches........

Sad how much I dont know about this guy, but he did score 50 this past season and is a jumpshooting wing that shot the 3 well. Drafting for need, I do not hate it.

Kevin Murphy.....the next 47 GEM! Mo to Murph for THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

(I think Machado was the absolute pick here, BUT!!! Murphy the shooting Wing instead---- This may very well solidify that we will NOT be needing another PG---- Mo on the go!!)

Last edited by Mutangclan on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Welcome to the Utah Jazz Kevin Murphy!

Quote :

DX All-Portsmouth Invitational Tournament Team
April 16, 2012
Perhaps the most impressive individual performer over the course of the PIT, particularly from a long-term perspective, Kevin Murphy's size (he measured 6-6 barefoot) and ability to score in a variety of ways from all over the court stood out all week long. Shooting the ball with range both off the catch and off the dribble, the Tennessee Tech product was consistently able to create separation with his dribble in one-on-one situations, knock down his spot-up jump shots, and utilize his smooth shooting mechanics to convert a number of contested shots in impressive fashion.

After emerging as one of the top scorers in college basketball this season, many were interested in seeing how Murphy would fare against BCS-level competition once outside the Ohio Valley Conference. Murphy made it clear at Portsmouth that he has elite scoring potential regardless of who he's matching up, even if he still has a ways to go to fully harness his talent.

The prolific scorer certainly isn't known for his passing ability, but he did show the ability to find the open man when the defenders here began to make an effort to keep him out of the lane and did not force any more shots than any of the other wings in attendance. He's a little bit raw in terms of his knowledge of the game and will have a little bit steeper of a transition to make than most seniors after playing on a team that did not win that many games the past four years. With that said, not many in his class boast the same upside, which could enable him to make a Marshon Brooks-esqe ascension up draft boards if he continues to perform well in private workouts over the next two months.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Murphy-17023/

Chad Ford wrote:

June 25 Update: The Pistons drafting at No. 44 could really use another shooter at the wings. Murphy was one of the best scorers in college basketball, shooting 42 percent from beyond the arc.

May 24 Update: NBA scouts are starting to give a closer look to Tennessee Tech swingman Kevin Murphy. Murphy is averaging an impressive 22 ppg, shooting 45 percent from 3 and averaging more than five rebounds per game.

His 50-point outburst versus SIU Edwardsville a few weeks ago was one of the best scoring performances of the season. Murphy looks a bit like a Rip Hamilton sort of player with much deeper range. He's got a smooth athleticism that allows him to glide to the basket. He can score off the dribble, has a sick midrange game and shows both quickness and athleticism.

His lack of strength is an issue. So is the fact that he struggled mightily in Tennessee Tech's three biggest games of the season, against Miami, West Virginia and Murray State.

While he's not a lock to be drafted, the more teams scout him, the more they believe he might be a legit early second-round sleeper.

Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Reporter: The Utah Jazz selected Kevin Murphy with the 47th pick in tonight's draft.

Jazz Fan: What you say?

Reporter: With O'Quinn still available, as well as Ognjen Kuzmic, the Jazz took Tennessee Tech small forward Kevin Murphy.

Jazz Fan: Someone set up us the bomb!

OKC Thunder: You have no chance to survive. Make your time. Hahaha.

Kevin O'Connor: We're not done improving yet, Presti. Move every Zig!

Jazz Fan: You know what you doing.

Kevin O'Connor: For great justice!
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Hah!!! Tennessee Tech!!!! Love that KOC, looking for another Millsap/Mo Williams GEM in the far reaches........

Sad how much I dont know about this guy, but he did score 50 this past season and is a jumpshooting wing that shot the 3 well. Drafting for need, I do not hate it.

(I think Machado was the absolute pick here, BUT!!! Murphy the shooting Wing instead---- This may very well solidify that we will NOT be needing another PG---- Mo on the go!!)

I really wanted Kyle O'Quinn the Jazz just don't have enough size and this kid brings a lot to the table that the Jazz could use if one of their bigs goes down.
Back to top Go down
Saint Louis
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Holy holiness! We just got a guy that should make the team in the late 2nd round! If he gets 10 minutes a game for the Jazz, he'll be playing on All-Star weekend (on the rookie team, not the All-Star game). He seems a lot more ready to play than all the "projects" I was thinking we might get. I didn't think there was any chance of us getting a player that might actually play for us next year!

Corbin will have his hands full trying to use him, but, I hope he finds a way to do it. A scorer at #47? How far down did Ginobli go?
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 pm

I have to agree DonG. I sincerely hope KOC has something in mind to get more depth at the 4/5. We can handle the loss of any one of our bigs, but if that happens we'll need more bodies in case of further injury, foul trouble, disqualifications...and maybe for matchup flexibility too if we get a big who can actually play.

But going forward without Bell and CJ (a good idea!), we weren't deep at the 2/3 either. Here's hoping that Burks/Hayward/Murphy/Carroll will be able to provide some defense in addition to the offensive punch they SHOULD have from the wing. (we know Gordy can)

That leaves us still with an overpriced, underdefending PG who has one exceptional skill...which is a completely wasted skill in that all it does is replace fast break dunks by hustling bigs and wings with layups by Harris himself. If he makes some amazing 1-on-3 shots on the break SO. WHAT? A good PG will get an easier (and possibly more crowd-and-teammate-pleasing) shot for a trailer. Harris' almost unique skill is not really a skill that adds anything to the team.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 6:59 am

Mutangclan wrote:

Take heart Mu, the Jazz may just get Machado yet...

Jim Burton - Standard Examiner (Ogden) wrote:
My guy PG #ScottMachado went undrafted. IMO, Jazz like him and want to invite him to summer camp/league. Did same with Wes Matthews in 2009

Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:50 am

- I read somewhere there are a zillion teams trying to invite Machado to summer league...
- If K-Mu is long and can shoot that darn rounded orange thing then he's my type of guy bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:29 pm

[quote="Trollificus"]If he doesn't last, O'Quinn's probably more what we need. I keep asking people to look at the Jazz roster: WE NEED BIGS. We're only crowded for minutes because 4 of our bigs are good. But that's the only 4 bigs we've got. If O'Quinn doesn't play much, that'd be a good sign, also good to have another banger on the bench.

The Jazz needs to be looking for a big in case of injure no question about it they have been luck and have not had their big's get injured but that's not alway's going to be the case sooner or later it is going to happen, Quinn would of be nice coming off the bench but that's water under the bridge now. I think Ante Tomic contract is up this next season in the Euro Leagues and he could make the move if he really wanted to but I read somewhere that O'Conner said that he needs to stay where he is at. If the Jazz can get him to come and did not have to pay anything to get him here I think they should give it a shot or trade his rights away, why would a team keep the rights to a player if they don't want him to play for them.

Last edited by dongibby on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:55 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
- I read somewhere there are a zillion teams trying to invite Machado to summer league...
- If K-Mu is long and can shoot that darn rounded orange thing then he's my type of guy bounce cheers

The Jazz has invited him let's hope that he accept's it there are severl team's asking him to play on their summer league team, he could be a nice guy to have as a 3rd string PG.

I was watching some of David Stockton games with Gonzaga and the Kid has some pretty good PG skills I don't know if he could work himself into a 3rd string PG or not but would like to see the Jazz give him a workout for the summer league team and see where it goes with some of the things I seen with hard work he just might be able to become a serviceble player for the Jazz.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't give up hope for the #47 pick   Don't give up hope for the #47 pick Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't give up hope for the #47 pick
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next