Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick

Go down 
+7
ptaz66
Richardale
Crunchtime1
Mutangclan
rorybreaker
Romoholic
TheMagnus
11 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick Empty
PostSubject: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptySat May 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Looks like 72% odds aren't good enough for GS...

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/7974916/sources-golden-state-warriors-eye-trade-utah-jazz-secure-lottery-pick

I wonder what they are talking about, I mean in terms of a trade. There's no question that the value of this pick goes down after this year. GS will be a better team, and that pick is only sliding down the draft board. Do you think it would be worth say, two second round picks to give up all of our rights to this years pick. That's an interesting exercise in probability and gambling right there...
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptySat May 26, 2012 7:47 pm

I wouldn't do it. If we get the pick great if not trade it for something with another team. I don't really buy into GS getting better after this season. They are perennial losers and I don't really see that changing much. They would have to do something other than a couple of second round picks to ensure they keep this drafts pick. Pry a player away. Or better yet let them have this years pick in exchange for removing the protection from the pick going forward.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptySat May 26, 2012 9:45 pm

If the Jazz make them take Raja Bell, or if they completely unrestrict the pick next year that would be great.
I have a feeling the GS pick next year will end up being better than the player GS will pick this year.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:23 am

That'd be interesting, if they un-restrict the pick next year. I think it's likely that Bogut and Curry both are injured next year as well; they've very well been the most dependably injured players in the NBA the past 3 years. Unrestricting the pick next year, plus a player that can actually get some minutes, would be worthwhile.

If not that, then I dont see why Utah does that. Personally, taking the chances on GS's pick next year being worse for us, or hoping to get it this year, I just stay the course and watch this years draft lottery. At least this way, we know Utah has a 30% chance of getting it this year.
I really can't figure out what Utah and GS would do....but the pundits say it's "very likely" a trade is done by Wednesday. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:32 am

I am down in the SF Bay Area again. The Warriors have announced a very ambitious plan to move from Oakland to the SF waterfront, Pier 30-32 area, at an estimated cost of $500 million dollars to the Warriors' owners. This will be a spectacular venue with spectacular views, arguably becoming the premier venue in the league. Check out the renderings (12 images) of the proposed venue in the article below. The team would begin to play there in 2017.

Given that the new owners plan to go all out to build a first class venue in a first class location, I think bringing a winning, competitive team to play in the new venue also has to be an integral part of the new owners' plans, and that they would likely overpay to make sure they keep the draft pick from the Jazz. Hence, I think there is an opportunity for O'Conner to make a pretty good deal if he doesn't want to just gamble on the ping pong balls falling our way on Wednesday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/05/22/MNP41OK74T.DTL&ao=all
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Looks like a great place for them to go.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Looks like it will be a great arena. I think we may need a new one her in the next 5-10 years.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Several of the Mock drafts I have seen have the Jazz taking Lillard if they end up with the 8th pick, I have to say, I really really like that idea....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7976377
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:05 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Several of the Mock drafts I have seen have the Jazz taking Lillard if they end up with the 8th pick, I have to say, I really really like that idea....

Me too. I'm just gonna assume we don't have a pick this year until I hear otherwise Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Could be good   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Romoholic wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Me too. I'm just gonna assume we don't have a pick this year until I hear otherwise Rolling Eyes

If they are desperate enough to want to trade, it could turn out to be a good opportunity. I guess the question is do thehave anybody they would be willing to give up who would really help the Jazz? If not, then, I would think it better to wait. Either way it does add a little intrigue to the draft process for this year.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyTue May 29, 2012 4:16 pm

If the Jazz trade the rights to this pick for "cash considerations", I'm gonna be pissed.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyTue May 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Romoholic wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7BPG?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=utah-jazz

Looks like it's not gonna happen.

Good. Now watch it fall right into Utah laps.......you'll probably all hear me from Md.
Back to top Go down
Nomo4me
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm glad we didn't do the deal. Gives W's fans a night of bowel clenching agony wondering if all their purposeful suckitude was for naught.

Eff'm, and EFF doing honorable business with dishonorable institutions. It was worth rolling the dice for the big pick so kudos to KOC for his play here.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Nomo4me wrote:
I'm glad we didn't do the deal. Gives W's fans a night of bowel clenching agony wondering if all their purposeful suckitude was for naught.

Eff'm, and EFF doing honorable business with dishonorable institutions. It was worth rolling the dice for the big pick so kudos to KOC for his play here.

I was kinda wondering why the hell KOC would even considering making a trade with a team that basically cheated there way to negate a trade made by the Jazz in good faith. Outside of getting the draft pick it would make me happy as hell to see GS lose that ill gotten draft pick! It's a long shot, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:29 am

I actually was looking at it as a free player/future pick/cash. I mean, either way, still would get the pick next year or the year after. Silly to not listen, when would very likely just get something free.

Then again, now, say we DO get this pick, heh, think GS would do something crazy (ala NJ/Dwill) to get that pick back???? Um, I do cheers
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyWed May 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Well, looks like evil (or at least suckitude) was rewarded. GS keeps the pick.

I was going to post on GSoM how pathetic it was to do all that losing in the hopes their franchise would be saved by a mid-lottery rookie, but I didn't have the heart. Those fans are rock solid. I mean, really. How much better does the #7 pick make a team? That team needs Durant or Dwight Howard or Lebron, not some 19=year-old.

So they'll go to war with David Lee, Kwame Brown, Curry, Bogut, Dorell, Rush and...ummm...the #7 pick. Somehow, I think the Jazz should worry more about next year's #1 falling into protection AGAIN than being too low to be of use.

I mean, Lee's got some mileage on him, Curry's ankles are hardly a sure thing. Bogut's getting to the point where severe injuries might have a cumulative effect. Kwame might get injured again, or he might NOT, but either way, it damages their chances to finish over .500. And the Warriors fans won't tolerate another late-season tank job for the #8 pick because it'd be open revolt, boycotts and Lacob unable to show his face at the arena. THAT'S not what you buy a team for.

Next year, Jazz get the #10 pick from them. Haaaahahahaha!!
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptyThu May 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Trollificus wrote:
And the Warriors fans won't tolerate another late-season tank job for the #8 pick because it'd be open revolt, boycotts and Lacob unable to show his face at the arena. THAT'S not what you buy a team for.

Not so sure about that. I had lengthy discusions with a number of Warrior fans that seemed more than willing to lose as much as possible in order to get better . (Make sense out of that Question )

Pretty sure that fan base gets more out of the idea of winning someday than they do the reality of the act of winning.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 2:55 am

zero24gravity wrote:
Trollificus wrote:
And the Warriors fans won't tolerate another late-season tank job for the #8 pick because it'd be open revolt, boycotts and Lacob unable to show his face at the arena. THAT'S not what you buy a team for.

Not so sure about that. I had lengthy discusions with a number of Warrior fans that seemed more than willing to lose as much as possible in order to get better . (Make sense out of that Question )

Pretty sure that fan base gets more out of the idea of winning someday than they do the reality of the act of winning.

I hope so, because if they keep the pick NEXT year, they will have done the exact same thing two years in a row. How much loyalty does it take to override reality?

And bad news for them, this interview from the future with owner Lacob, from April 29, 2013:

Reporter: The Warriors have lost 15 of their last 19, and look pretty sure to hang on to the
notorious pick that was once obtained by the Jazz. What do you say to the fans who point that
this is exactly where the team was last year: "giving the kids more minutes", experimental
lineups, d-league callups with heart warming personal stories, and a lot of "well, he'll be
day-to-day for another week or two, can't be too careful with a ear lobe."??

Joe Lacob: Hey, it's Boguts' shooting lobe! And nobody can second-guess us on Curry this year! I
mean, his foot actually came off right there on the court!

Reporter: Yeah, that's legit. But if it's exactly the same as last year, where's the progress you cited at the press conference when the team started 5-2??

Joe Lacob: We think, with this number 8 pick (suck it Jazz!! HAaaaahaha!!!), that we can infuse the team with young talent and continue to progress.

Reporter: By drafting in the lottery every year?

Joe Lacob: By drafting in a better position in the lottery every year! By 2016, when that one high school kid comes out, we'll have a really good shot at him. What's his name? LeeVonder
something...plays like Garnett, but a much better shooter. And handles the ball like Steve Nash.
A 15-year-old, black, 7 foot Steve Nash. Did you know you can get season tickets at 800-555-DUBS?? Well you can. Get 'em wile they last!!

Reporter: C'mon, Joe! "While they last"??...you've got 7500 unsold! You were handing them out at a grade school last week.

Joe Lacob
: Well, that's why we need a new stadium. Or a move to San Fran. Or Silicone Valley. Or
a tax break. But a large infusion of money, anyway. And don't forget about what's-his-name in 2016!

Reporter: Joe, now you're changing the subj-

Joe Lacob: Look! Over there! It's Hope Solo fiming an underwear ad!! (leaves)
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Troll, the fact that I can actually see that happening makes it even funnier/sadder.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick   Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick Empty

Back to top Go down

Golden State STILL trying to do everything to keep their pick
Page 1 of 1