Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  NBA Draft Combine Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NBA Draft Combine

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:44 am

Even though the Jazz only have a second round pick I find myself interested in the NBA draft, and the especially the player scouting and evaluations that go on at this time of year. One reason is that there are several teams that have multiple first round picks and seem willing to deal for the right price, so it's not out of the question that if the Jazz really like somebody they could trade into the first round.

So far Lillard out of Weber has been impressing folks early. He's in amazing shape, can shoot the lights out, and score at will off the dribble. I think he's going to be a very good NBA player.

Here's a list of the measurements for all of the players at the combine, this link will be updated with athletic test results as those become available.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2012&source=NBA+Draft+Combine&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Chad Ford wrote:

Damian Lillard really helped himself last 2 days. Shot ball well. Competed. Just measured with a 36" inch standing and 40" full vertical.

I have also seen rumors that in addition to the Hornets being willing to move pick #10, the Raptors are looking for a veteran and willing to move the #8 pick.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 2:17 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Chad Ford wrote:

Damian Lillard really helped himself last 2 days. Shot ball well. Competed. Just measured with a 36" inch standing and 40" full vertical.

I have also seen rumors that in addition to the Hornets being willing to move pick #10, the Raptors are looking for a veteran and willing to move the #8 pick.

If Lillard continues to impress, then moving into the #8 or #10 spot may not be high enough to draft him.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 2:38 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

If Lillard continues to impress, then moving into the #8 or #10 spot may not be high enough to draft him.

Marshall is the other PG option in that range, but there are also a pile of good wings that should be around in that area.

Lillard is interesting to me because of his local ties, and because even with his solid performance in the combine and workouts there is a lot of talent that could have him slipping down the board. Supposedly some guys who had been slipping like Perry Jones, Terrance Jones, and Quincy Miller are all looking good too, so moving up may be tough to do.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 2:39 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
Chad Ford wrote:

I was thinking about this too, but if you look at all the teams in the top 10, only New Orleans, Portland and maybe Toronto would draft a PG in those spots. But New Orleans certainly isn't taking Lilliard at #1, though I"m sure definitely would look at him at #10. Portland could, but at #6 thats too high given all the other players they would have to choose from. I mean, whoever is left over from Beal, Robinson, Drummond and Perry Jones, I imagine would be who they take over Lilliard.
Toronto on the other hand could do it and would make sense, but all they keep talking about is needing a SG/SF, and if Barnes is still there it's a no-brainer. I dont see how any trade with the Raptors would work for Utah, so thats too bad.
But I keep seeing that #10 pick sitting there for the taking from N.O. and I hope KOC is going after it. Lilliard will be at the 10th pick no matter what IMO, if Portland doesn't take him at #6.

Fun thing, is I think Utah and KOC have options, with Houston at 14(Marshall) and the Raptors/NO picks at 8 and 10. Draft night could be pretty sweet!

** Interesting sidenote, the Bobcats haven't even spoken with Robinson or his reps, and alot are saying he is easily the 2nd best pick; Charlotte definitely shopping that pick around as along as someone will take on Tyrus Thomas' contract. Can't imagine Utah has anything to offer the Bobcats though... (?)
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 3:04 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Marshall is the other PG option in that range, but there are also a pile of good wings that should be around in that area.

Lillard is interesting to me because of his local ties, and because even with his solid performance in the combine and workouts there is a lot of talent that could have him slipping down the board. Supposedly some guys who had been slipping like Perry Jones, Terrance Jones, and Quincy Miller are all looking good too, so moving up may be tough to do.

I have to admit that I'm higher on Marshall than Lillard. But the more I hear, read and see of Lilliard, the more he convinces me that he's going to be a good player.

I still think that Perry Jones is worth going out on a limb for if he's still available aroud the 6-10 spots. Dude has #1 overall talent, IF (big "if") he can pull his head out & play hard night-in-and-night-out. To me, he looks like a taller, less-polished, Durant, with less of an outside shot. But the outside shot can be worked on. I think Jones is plenty quick to play SF, and his height could complement the shorter Millsap at PF perfectly.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 8:43 pm

I emotionallly like the idea of Utah spending assets on the next PG or wing in the draft because, well hell, there is nothing else Jazz related to talk about right now other than the draft and we all were kinda excited about maybe two lottery picks there for awhile. However, if I'm KOC, I am not building for 3-4 years out right now that comes with rolling the dice on on high but not automatic pick, I'm building for 2-3 years out, taking advantage of the super promising youngsters in-house at the moment coming into full promise in that window. In other words, the Jazz don't need another talented Burks type/roll the dice rookie, they need an up and coming existing NBA contributor, a guy who already has proven they can play based on pro game time, not vertical leap and potential. Jazz have young potential oozing out there pores already. IMO, the Jazz need young veterans for any significant upgrade (though I certainly would love to see Nash in Jazz colors), so I see no reason to spend assets to trade up for another 20-something, unproven guy. The FO has proved they can find the Matthews, Millsaps, Carrolls etc in the existing pool of players without wasting big bargaining chips. Bottom line for me is the Jazz need a proven NBA shooter on the wing, period. That is it. Spend the combined assets on a proven contributor where they need it, as boring as that sounds.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 pm

MTJazz wrote:
I emotionallly like the idea of Utah spending assets on the next PG or wing in the draft because, well hell, there is nothing else Jazz related to talk about right now other than the draft and we all were kinda excited about maybe two lottery picks there for awhile. However, if I'm KOC, I am not building for 3-4 years out right now that comes with rolling the dice on on high but not automatic pick, I'm building for 2-3 years out, taking advantage of the super promising youngsters in-house at the moment coming into full promise in that window. In other words, the Jazz don't need another talented Burks type/roll the dice rookie, they need an up and coming existing NBA contributor, a guy who already has proven they can play based on pro game time, not vertical leap and potential. Jazz have young potential oozing out there pores already. IMO, the Jazz need young veterans for any significant upgrade (though I certainly would love to see Nash in Jazz colors), so I see no reason to spend assets to trade up for another 20-something, unproven guy. The FO has proved they can find the Matthews, Millsaps, Carrolls etc in the existing pool of players without wasting big bargaining chips. Bottom line for me is the Jazz need a proven NBA shooter on the wing, period. That is it. Spend the combined assets on a proven contributor where they need it, as boring as that sounds.

There is serious validity in what you are saying. No matter what else happens this offseason, the Jazz have to address their outside shooting problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NBA Draft Combine Empty
PostSubject: Re: NBA Draft Combine   NBA Draft Combine Empty

Back to top Go down

NBA Draft Combine
Page 1 of 1