Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Training Camp News and Discussion Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Training Camp News and Discussion

Go down 
+13
Richardale
T-Wick
Tarakaan
Crunchtime1
The Voice of Reason
Zoonie
outerspacefan
zero24gravity
Mutangclan
Romoholic
dongibby
MTJazz
TheMagnus
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Training Camp News and Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:00 am

Here's a thread for all of the News and discussion we want to share during training camp, I'll un-Sticky it as soon as the season starts.

For starters, lets talk about the guys the Jazz are inviting to camp, and whether or not any of them can, make the roster....

As described here:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54953545-87/butch-brian-camp-utah.html.csp

The Jazz right now have 13 Rosters spots guaranteed, 1 non-guaranteed second round pick (Kevin Murphy), and one veteran in "limbo" (Raja Bell). I keep getting different reports on Raja's status, but it doesn't look like he'll play for the Jazz again, so lets call it 13 guaranteed roster spots, with 2 open spots.

Here's the guys invited to camp right now (click on the name ot see a DraftExpress Profile)...

Brian Butch
Trey Gilder
Kevin Murphy
Darnell Jackson

Guilder (Heat) and Murphy (Jazz) both played summer league in Orlando but neither of them stood out at all.

Butch is an interesting prospect. Memhet Okur type stretch PF/C who rebounds well and shoots the 3 ball, could be very usefull with whatever group of bigs the Jazz have in the future.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 11:17 am

Don't know much about any of these guys other than Murphy but it looks like Butch was near the top of the dog pile in D-League, winning the MVP at the all-star game. My guess is unless someone else really shines he will be the Jazz's 15th option which could include "stay in shape and ready and if we lose a roster player to injury we will give you a call." Really doubt the Jazz will carry him on a contract just to send him to a 3rd season in the D-League unless he is really special and they want to protect him from other teams. That 14th spot is all Murphy, no doubt in my mind. Yeah, still a low second round pick, but the kid is a natural scorer and needs exposure to pro coaching to work on other aspects of his game before he is ruled a "failed" pick.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Here's a thread for all of the News and discussion we want to share during training camp, I'll un-Sticky it as soon as the season starts.

For starters, lets talk about the guys the Jazz are inviting to camp, and whether or not any of them can, make the roster....

As described here:

The Jazz right now have 13 Rosters spots guaranteed, 1 non-guaranteed second round pick (Kevin Murphy), and one veteran in "limbo" (Raja Bell). I keep getting different reports on Raja's status, but it doesn't look like he'll play for the Jazz again, so lets call it 13 guaranteed roster spots, with 2 open spots.

Here's the guys invited to camp right now (click on the name ot see a DraftExpress Profile)...

Brian Butch
Trey Gilder
Kevin Murphy
Darnell Jackson

Guilder (Heat) and Murphy (Jazz) both played summer league in Orlando but neither of them stood out at all.

Butch is an interesting prospect. Memhet Okur type stretch PF/C who rebounds well and shoots the 3 ball, could be very usefull with whatever group of bigs the Jazz have in the future.

Murphy I think will be on the team no matter what and Bell will be traded or bought out so I like Butch the most from the guy's on this list he could be the guy the Jazz need in case of injure to one of their big's, Butch is better at facing the basket than he is with his back to it but with his ability to shoot the ball it will help spread the floor giving the other big's more room to operate in the paint like Mag has said.

Butch if signed could learn a lot from a guy like Jefferson about how to play with his back to the basket and in time could turn into a very nice player on the offensive end in the paint, Jefferson has been working with the other Jazz big's and they all have learned some good move's from him and I think he could really help Butch at the offensive end in the paint.

Jackson would be the next guy but with him only being 6'8 it really hurts him being able to defend the paint, I think he is a pretty good offensive player but not so good at the defensive end and I think the Jazz need size more than they need another offensive big that's why I would go with Butch.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 2:57 pm

dongibby wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

As described here:

Brian Butch
Trey Gilder
Kevin Murphy
Darnell Jackson

Murphy I think will be on the team no matter what and Bell will be traded or bought out so I like Butch the most from the guy's on this list he could be the guy the Jazz need in case of injure to one of their big's, Butch is better at facing the basket than he is with his back to it but with his ability to shoot the ball it will help spread the floor giving the other big's more room to operate in the paint like Mag has said.

Butch if signed could learn a lot from a guy like Jefferson about how to play with his back to the basket and in time could turn into a very nice player on the offensive end in the paint, Jefferson has been working with the other Jazz big's and they all have learned some good move's from him and I think he could really help Butch at the offensive end in the paint.

Jackson would be the next guy but with him only being 6'8 it really hurts him being able to defend the paint, I think he is a pretty good offensive player but not so good at the defensive end and I think the Jazz need size more than they need another offensive big that's why I would go with Butch.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't give Stoctons kid an invite to camp. They have to do something with Bell soon right? We can't afford to have him taking a roster spot when everyone knows he will never step foot on the court for the Jazz again.

On a side note, we were planning on moving back to Dallas in October, but decided to put that off for a year, So I'm thinking about getting season tickets to the Jazz this year! That was gonna be the only thing I missed about living in Utah was going to Jazz games. I have gone to at least 10 games a year for the past 15 years. I was thinking I was going to go through withdrawals Come basketball season.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 am

Interesting quote from Millsap in the Trib today...

Paul Millsap wrote:

"This year’s going to be great for the NBA, for basketball, period. There’s a lot of things happening. For me, I’ve just got to … keep my ego down a little bit. I learned over the past not to get too excited. Just go into the season ready to play and you’ve got to see what happens. It’s going to be a good year for us."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/54960118-87/millsap-jazz-season-career.html.csp

Looks like he may be preparing himself to come off the bench if that the way it works out. I'm really excited for this season, I think this team is going to be really good.

And how can you not love this guy?!?!?!

Millsap is easily my favorite Jazz player, has been for years, if the Jazz lose him next year without a major fight I will be very very dissapointed.

Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 am

dongibby wrote:

I'm sure no matter what Murphy makes this roster. I think it's already said and done. They saw something in him, his shooting, that they think could be great. And if you think about it, seems like all the best shooters came from non-basketball powers/ really small schools: Hornacek, Korver, Craig Hodges, Dale Ellis, Marcus Thornton, Nash. All these guys came from more of the unknown type of schools, but are great shooters and scorers. I'm guessing thats what they saw from Murphy too and is the entire reason for drafting him. They'll give him the time he needs to develop.

Like the Butch guy, big and 3pt shooter. Seems to make alot of sense given his resume now. Also like that he's young verses adding another vet.

Crazy about Paul. I do love the guy; there's nothing not to love. I hope we keep him. But I also hope we keep Al too. After this season, and I bet if it's not already this way now, the majority then will want to keep Al.
Great that both Paul and Fav are both saying things like checking the ego at the door, just want to play a ton and contribute, and get wins whatever way is best for the team. I'd say both of those guys are prepping to come off the bench, which is also good.
And man I'm with you Magnus. So excited about this season, seeing how much better Gordo/Fav/Burks and even Kanter are, along with Al having his best season ever IMO, and then our new additions coming in and gettting wins for us. So pumped.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:43 am

Mutangclan wrote:
dongibby wrote:

I'm sure no matter what Murphy makes this roster. I think it's already said and done. They saw something in him, his shooting, that they think could be great. And if you think about it, seems like all the best shooters came from non-basketball powers/ really small schools: Hornacek, Korver, Craig Hodges, Dale Ellis, Marcus Thornton, Nash. All these guys came from more of the unknown type of schools, but are great shooters and scorers. I'm guessing thats what they saw from Murphy too and is the entire reason for drafting him. They'll give him the time he needs to develop.

Like the Butch guy, big and 3pt shooter. Seems to make alot of sense given his resume now. Also like that he's young verses adding another vet.

Crazy about Paul. I do love the guy; there's nothing not to love. I hope we keep him. But I also hope we keep Al too. After this season, and I bet if it's not already this way now, the majority then will want to keep Al.
Great that both Paul and Fav are both saying things like checking the ego at the door, just want to play a ton and contribute, and get wins whatever way is best for the team. I'd say both of those guys are prepping to come off the bench, which is also good.
And man I'm with you Magnus. So excited about this season, seeing how much better Gordo/Fav/Burks and even Kanter are, along with Al having his best season ever IMO, and then our new additions coming in and gettting wins for us. So pumped.

Ya, and you know, the more I think about it, the more I think the Jazz just need to go big. Millsap needs to play at least half time at SF, Gordon plays almost full time SG, Burks, Foye, Kanter, and Marvin Williams fill out the rotation and if anybody gets hurt there is solid players like Evans, Carroll, and Tinsley to fill the gap. It's going to be a fun season...
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:52 am

Obviously the Jazz coaches have been prepping both Sap and Favors for sharing minutes at the PF. My hunch is that Corbin hasn't decided yet on who is going to start and probably won't until the season opens. Its an old argument here on the board with no right answer, but I like Favors starting with Sap anchoring the second unit or slipping in quickly when Favors picks up a couple quick fouls. Until Favors proves otherwise, (that he has some solid offense), I expect to see Sap finishing games, either at the 2 or 3. Jazz will have a ridiculous bench. It will add up to a decent playoff seed but after that its on the starters if the Jazz are to move forward. In that regard I see the Jazz as respectable at this point, but unless Gordo and Favors break out the Jazz won't have the horses to go deep. The good news is I have a hunch this is Gordo's year, maybe Favor's as well, that third year thing.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm with you on the Murphy topic. Seems like a solid bet he will (and should) be on the team come opening night.

Side note: took the kids to the circus last night at ESA. Went down on the floor for the pre-show & all I could think about is that I was standing where the Jazz play. That thought made a bigger impact that seeing an elephant 10 feet in front of me. Hope my kids didn't notice. Sent the little one to school today in his Jazz gear... couldn't help myself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Man!!! Yet ANOTHER ex-Jazz player goes to the Bulls!! My main man Fes.....

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/223692/Kyrylo_Fesenko_To_Sign_Non_Guaranteed_Deal_With_Bulls

On another note, Utah signed Chris Quinn to a non-guaranteed deal for camp. He's played some decent ball for a few teams. Not a bad backup, and good outside shooter.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Man!!! Yet ANOTHER ex-Jazz player goes to the Bulls!! My main man Fes.....

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/223692/Kyrylo_Fesenko_To_Sign_Non_Guaranteed_Deal_With_Bulls

On another note, Utah signed Chris Quinn to a non-guaranteed deal for camp. He's played some decent ball for a few teams. Not a bad backup, and good outside shooter.

Hmmmm. Last seen playing in SA, in '10-'11, go figure. Do the Jazz have someone in management with SA connections? Laughing Have no idea why he has struggled to become firmly established but a look at Wikpedia revealed that he can definitely light up.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 5:18 am

Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Quinn's a good bet; dude can push Tinsley a little bit and could be a perfect replacement for Watson.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 pm

The Jazz will hold a FREE scrimmage open to public at 4PM on Sat. Oct. 6th at ESA. Doors open at 3:15PM (No ticket required).

Who's going to this? Maybe a few of us can meet up for it and pound some $7 beers!
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:35 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
Quinn's a good bet; dude can push Tinsley a little bit and could be a perfect replacement for Watson.

I saw a tweet or something that said it was unclear whether Tinsleys contract is or isn't guaranteed. If he's not on a guaranteed contract then that changes things a bit. I also saw that estimates are now that Watson may be out into November.

I am a little surprised they didn't invite any undrafted rookies to camp. This was supposed to be a super deep year for draft talent, but we just invited 4 D-League/Euro vagabonds over the age of 27 to camp. Not sure what that says about Jazz strategy, or what their plans are for all of the guys on expiring contracts, but I did think it was a little strange...
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Romoholic wrote:
The Jazz will hold a FREE scrimmage open to public at 4PM on Sat. Oct. 6th at ESA. Doors open at 3:15PM (No ticket required).

Who's going to this? Maybe a few of us can meet up for it and pound some $7 beers!

I went two years ago & it was decent. (Except they just stopped after 3 quarters & there was no announcement. We just had to figure it out.) I'd like to go again, but would probably have the 11 year old with me, so not so sure about the beers for me..... but you feel free to have an extra for me!

I feel like I may have something going on though ..... it might be a Jazzfan fantasy draft day as well. (Can't remember)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

I went two years ago & it was decent. (Except they just stopped after 3 quarters & there was no announcement. We just had to figure it out.) I'd like to go again, but would probably have the 11 year old with me, so not so sure about the beers for me..... but you feel free to have an extra for me!

I feel like I may have something going on though ..... it might be a Jazzfan fantasy draft day as well. (Can't remember)

So I'm taking my 7 year old, He knows daddy likes beer. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zoonie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 12:57 am

I went last year and it was pretty good, unfortunatly I have to work all day next Saturday which is a total bummer. I'm going to try and see if I can get it off but it's doubtful
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 am

TheMagnus wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

I saw a tweet or something that said it was unclear whether Tinsleys contract is or isn't guaranteed. If he's not on a guaranteed contract then that changes things a bit. I also saw that estimates are now that Watson may be out into November.

I am a little surprised they didn't invite any undrafted rookies to camp. This was supposed to be a super deep year for draft talent, but we just invited 4 D-League/Euro vagabonds over the age of 27 to camp. Not sure what that says about Jazz strategy, or what their plans are for all of the guys on expiring contracts, but I did think it was a little strange...

Seems to me that this team is just so set, from 1-13 and also so young. Maybe vet experience is more useful at this time.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 am

Romoholic wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Hah, dang, I'd be your huckleberry, but being across the country makes it a tad difficult.
Would appreciate some feedback on what you guys see if you go though.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Romoholic wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

Hah, dang, I'd be your huckleberry, but being across the country makes it a tad difficult.
Would appreciate some feedback on what you guys see if you go though.

I might try to record it. If I do I'll post a link for you.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:59 pm

I defy anyone here to click on this link and not get excited about the upcoming season!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151159845853864.467926.273927203863&type=1

Ya, the dude in the blue shorts, is Alec Burks...
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:39 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I defy anyone here to click on this link and not get excited about the upcoming season!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151159845853864.467926.273927203863&type=1

Holy shit, guess Kanter wasn't the only one working on his body this off-season. Burks is RIPPED, lots of new muscle mass in his upper body, (not to mention the lab says he added 4 inches to his running vertical, that is amazing). And Sap, who is always in shape, looks perfectly toned, not too over-developed. It appears that our Jazz squad have stayed extremely focused in the off-season. Once camp starts I expect Ty to be quoted saying, "These guys came into camp in the best shape of their lives so we don't have to waste time getting them in shape, we can focus on executing or game strategies." Somewhere out there Karl Malone is smiling. The Jazz have quietly, (no one else sees it but us hardcore fans), assembled probably the hardest working group of players in the league, from 1-12. Bonus is all the off-season time they spent with each other in various sized groups, keeping camaraderie high. The Jazz are going to surprise a lot of people this year and we know it will be because of the small things, roster tweaks, player commitment to improve their game, playing as a team. Not to mention a cast of players in the steep part of the improving game curve combined with veterans rounding to the peak in their prime! Psyched!
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 1:36 am

MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Holy shit, guess Kanter wasn't the only one working on his body this off-season. Burks is RIPPED, lots of new muscle mass in his upper body, (not to mention the lab says he added 4 inches to his running vertical, that is amazing). And Sap, who is always in shape, looks perfectly toned, not too over-developed. It appears that our Jazz squad have stayed extremely focused in the off-season. Once camp starts I expect Ty to be quoted saying, "These guys came into camp in the best shape of their lives so we don't have to waste time getting them in shape, we can focus on executing or game strategies." Somewhere out there Karl Malone is smiling. The Jazz have quietly, (no one else sees it but us hardcore fans), assembled probably the hardest working group of players in the league, from 1-12. Bonus is all the off-season time they spent with each other in various sized groups, keeping camaraderie high. The Jazz are going to surprise a lot of people this year and we know it will be because of the small things, roster tweaks, player commitment to improve their game, playing as a team. Not to mention a cast of players in the steep part of the improving game curve combined with veterans rounding to the peak in their prime! Psyched!

I can't even tell you how impressed I'am with this team right now. Not only are we loaded with young guys, they are young guys that are dead serious about improving and being in top physical shape. Some of these older teams are going to have a hard time keeping up with the young, hungry Jazz. I don't think I can ever remember seeing a team so much on the same page in the off season ever. I'm excited about seeing these guys in person at the scrimmage.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 am

The biggest story for me going into this season is this whole starting lineup thing. Who shows they're ready, what combination the coaches feel works best, and who is going to be our 6/7th men off the bench that are expected to dominate.

If you believe what the DesNews is saying then the lineup I feel would work best to start out AND gives us a cohesive dominant bench as well, is whats going to happen. In the article notice :

* Projected starters

# Projected second unit

in this article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865563482/Utah-Jazz-Player-by-player-look-at-current-team.html?pg=2

That has Mo/GH/Marv/Fav/Al starting with Burks/Paul/Foye/DC/Kanter as a second unit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp News and Discussion   Training Camp News and Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Training Camp News and Discussion
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Utah Jazz Nation :: The Utah Jazz-
Jump to: