Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 Empty
PostSubject: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 7:57 am

Definitely a fan favorite, as well as a personal favorite, and one of the all time great Jazz players...

Mehmet Okur wrote:

"Right now, as a 33 year-old I’m putting an end to my basketball career that I started in 1993 when I was 14 years old. Despite starting late, I pursued my basketball career with determination and love. I had the honour of having countless individual and team success in my career. Silver medal that we won in 2001 European Championship was the first medal for Turkey in team-sports, and then I became the first Turkish player to become an allstar in the NBA and the first Turkish player to win an NBA title.
I represented my country at the highest level possible for many years, but after having back-to-back injuries in the recent years, despite all my effort to come back; I understood that I can not be the old Mehmet Okur again. While working out with my private trainer, I got offers many NBA teams and elite teams from Europe. However, Once your body doesn’t allow you to be as good as you were in the past and If you are used to playing at a certain level. I think it’s time to say goodbye to the sport that you love very much. That time has came for Mehmet Okur.
I have became who I am thanks to my family, my coaches, my team mates, and the Turkish people who always supported me. So, Big Thanks to everyone who supported me in this exciting 19-year journey."

Here's a great tribute from SLC dunk...

http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/11/8/3618836/memo-money-man-retired

On the Utah Jazz record books Okur is fourth in 3-pointers made (517), ninth in rebounding (3,599), ninth in blocked shots (346) and ninth in scoring (7,255).

Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Definitely a fan favorite, as well as a personal favorite, and one of the all time great Jazz players...

Mehmet Okur wrote:

"Right now, as a 33 year-old I’m putting an end to my basketball career that I started in 1993 when I was 14 years old. Despite starting late, I pursued my basketball career with determination and love. I had the honour of having countless individual and team success in my career. Silver medal that we won in 2001 European Championship was the first medal for Turkey in team-sports, and then I became the first Turkish player to become an allstar in the NBA and the first Turkish player to win an NBA title.
I represented my country at the highest level possible for many years, but after having back-to-back injuries in the recent years, despite all my effort to come back; I understood that I can not be the old Mehmet Okur again. While working out with my private trainer, I got offers many NBA teams and elite teams from Europe. However, Once your body doesn’t allow you to be as good as you were in the past and If you are used to playing at a certain level. I think it’s time to say goodbye to the sport that you love very much. That time has came for Mehmet Okur.
I have became who I am thanks to my family, my coaches, my team mates, and the Turkish people who always supported me. So, Big Thanks to everyone who supported me in this exciting 19-year journey."

Here's a great tribute from SLC dunk...

http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/11/8/3618836/memo-money-man-retired

On the Utah Jazz record books Okur is fourth in 3-pointers made (517), ninth in rebounding (3,599), ninth in blocked shots (346) and ninth in scoring (7,255).

That's kinda sad. He was always a great guy. That achilles injury along with the back problems just did him in. I know we all had hopes that he could come back from that and be the old Money man, but it was always a long shot. Okur will always be one of my favorite former Jazz players!
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for the years memo you where a class act and will be missed. Ditto to one of my fav player aswell.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus describes Memo as "unique archtype" in article that portrays him as the first, and to this point ONLY, true "Stretch 5"...

Kevin Pelton wrote:

Instead of remembering the hampered Okur who hobbled around in New Jersey at the end of his career, I would rather remember him as a unique archetype. I believe Okur is the greatest "stretch five" in NBA history. While the "stretch four" has basically become cliche, centers who shoot threes on a regular basis are still a rarity. Per Basketball-Refernece.com, Okur is one of just four players 6-11 or taller to make at least 500 career threes.

Player 3PM
-----------------------
Dirk Nowitzki 1275
Troy Murphy 603
Mehmet Okur 596
Andrea Bargnani 548

Of course, Dirk Nowitzki leads this group by a wide margin, having made more than twice as many threes as any other player 6-11 or taller (let alone 7-foot). But Nowitzki, like Troy Murphy, has almost exclusively played power forward despite his height. Andrea Bargnani, who will likely pass Okur for third on this list in 2012-13 if he stays healthy, has split time between both frontcourt positions over the course of his career. Only Okur has been so prolific beyond the arc while playing entirely at center.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2446

No doubt Okurs 3pt shooting numbers would be even higher had he played for a different team than the Jazz. Memo was a truly unique and revolutionary player.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Let's sign him to a 10 day contract & let him retire a Jazzman!

Good luck to you Memo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 1:54 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

Good luck to you Memo.

That's a good idea!
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 1:54 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

Good luck to you Memo.

I like it a lot! come home memo!
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 6:42 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

Good luck to you Memo.

That would be great. Just start the campaign; I will sign indeed cheers
Memo's top tier best Jazz character ever. Probably only John, Jerry and LHM ahead of him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33   Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33 Empty

Back to top Go down

Memo "Money" Okur Retires from Basketball at age 33
Page 1 of 1